HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eating crow and counting coup

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 07:51 PM
kraigus

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Eating crow and counting coup

So, after tonight's game vs the Wings, I've some crow to eat, but also some coup to count.

I posted this afternoon in a couple of threads about Hemsky and Pisani.

I said Hemsky didn't have as much game-breaking potential as some other players (in that context it was Mike Comrie). His third goal of the season tonight was a) a thing of beauty, a true skill player goal, and b) what got the Oilers back into the game. If he scores many like that, I'll have to revise my opinion pretty quickly. (But why oh why can't he shoot the puck more?)

I said Pisani hadn't been doing much, the play had been "dying on his stick", to steal a phrase from training camp. Well, it wasn't tonight, and that was a beaut to set up Moreau. I think, in retrospect, he's been getting better the last few games, and if he keeps it up, I'll be revising my opinion on him again.

Now for some I told ya sos. Moreau - what else can I say? I'm pretty sure the majority opinion this summer was he needed to be gone, and then that the big contract was a mistake. I wasn't in that majority. If he can keep up this kind of play all year, he'll be wearing the C if Smith goes.

Izzy. If nothing else, he bailed out the golden child MAB on yet another giveaway. (MAB wasn't the only one giving the puck away tonight, but I think he was more brutal than is usual for the Oilers this year in his own zone. I give him credit for a nice recovery on the giveaway to.. Maltby, I think? It seemed like he was being lazy with the puck tonight, he wasn't chipping it out or passing it with authority, and that led to at least two very good quality scoring chances, I think, one being the one Izzy bailed him out on.) Izzy went to the net a couple of times, had a couple decent plays, and finished his checks. Still not enough for 1.9m, but it's better than he has been, and preventing Hull from getting a one-timer away, well, there's not many guys that can claim that.

Anyway, I felt kind of bad for being down on Hemsky a bit and Pisani in particular - they proved me wrong tonight, and I hope they continue doing so.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:54 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
I said Pisani hadn't been doing much, the play had been "dying on his stick", to steal a phrase from training camp. Well, it wasn't tonight, and that was a beaut to set up Moreau. I think, in retrospect, he's been getting better the last few games, and if he keeps it up, I'll be revising my opinion on him again.
Umm just to clarify something, pisani tried to shoot but the defender blocked it and it went to moreaus stick. but pisani has been playing better, if someone were to sit for the oilers i would like chimera to sit instead of pisani.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Oi'll say!

They kept calling Pisani's partially blocked shot a pass, you could see as plain as day that he was going for the wrister. He got the job done though, I'm not taking anything away from him.

Earlier in the game he set up Reasoner for a nice chance from in close but Legace robbed him so he had one coming.

Hemsky's goal was a beauty. If that was in the playoffs we'd remember it for a few years.

It was really nice to see Chopper get the tying goal, he's a character guy extraordinaire.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
Umm just to clarify something, pisani tried to shoot but the defender blocked it and it went to moreaus stick.
Heh I bet Fernando is in the dressing room right now trying to explain to Moreau that it was actually a pass..

Old
11-01-2003, 08:00 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Umm just to clarify something, pisani tried to shoot but the defender blocked it and it went to moreaus stick. but pisani has been playing better, if someone were to sit for the oilers i would like chimera to sit instead of pisani.
:moon:

You beat me to it :mad:

Old
11-01-2003, 08:03 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
:moon:

You beat me to it :mad:
hehe

Old
11-01-2003, 08:03 PM
momentai

Quote:
if someone were to sit for the oilers i would like chimera to sit instead of pisani.
This can't be said more. Chimera needs to sit. Did practically nothing tonight and took an idiotic holding penalty on Zetts tonight that had everyone wondering why the heck he did that.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:05 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Pisani also made a hell of a play to completely elude one of the best defencemen of all time.

You can't take that away from him, and that started the whole play.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:06 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
This can't be said more. Chimera needs to sit. Did practically nothing tonight and took an idiotic holding penalty on Zetts tonight that had everyone wondering why the heck he did that.
It looked like he was trying to cross over and get into the inside lane to me just didn't raise his arm and stick high enough.

Old
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
LOL... I had some friends over, and they kept laughing at me because I kept calling the penalty the stupidest play I had ever seen.

Your team is down one, the other team has all the momentum, and you take the single most useless penalty of all time.

Old
mrush

Quote:
agreed on the penalty. Stupid move on his part and did you see his face after he got the penalty he was so pissed off at the call it was funny to watch.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:08 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Pisani also made a hell of a play to completely elude one of the best defencemen of all time.

You can't take that away from him, and that started the whole play.
yah i know pisani was good today. nice pass to reasoner and nice shot/pass to moreau. Reasoner should have scored on the pass, he has terrible accuracy for shooting but has tremendous passing ability. couldnt believe bergeron didnt score.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:15 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well you all know what I think about Pisani. But tonight he played like he did at times last year. In the first period he SHOULD have had a goal if he would have had ANY drive and would have went to the net. As for the tieing goal, although it was completely lucky and what happened wasn't at all intended by Pisani, I'll give him credit as he did a good job getting the puck out of the end, and I've never had anything against a lucky player.
Agreed as well that Chimera has NO business being in the lineup. Since opening day he hasn't done dinky-do. Well, he hasn't done dinky-do that helped the team. With Rita and Salmo STILL knocking on the door, Chimer needs to see the game from the PB for a bit IMO. I'd like to see Stoll slide in next game if he's ready by then!

Old
11-01-2003, 08:25 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
LOL... I had some friends over, and they kept laughing at me because I kept calling the penalty the stupidest play I had ever seen.

Your team is down one, the other team has all the momentum, and you take the single most useless penalty of all time.
I know. What the heck was he thinking? Was he going after the puck? No... he wasn't skating. Was he trying to subtly impede Zetterburg from skating towards the puck? Well, again no. Chimera just hugged him down to the ice. Stupid doesn't even begin to describe it. Maybe Chimera just wanted to get away from the ice for 2 minutes.

Isbister has sat when he's been playing poorly. It's Chimera's turn.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:02 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
You can add me to that loud chorus. Chimera has been pretty well invisible all year at least Pisani kills penalties.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Hemsky4PM

The move Ales made was fantastic. I've seen it done a few times, and I like the names of the other guys I've seen do it in a game: Jaromir Jagr, Peter Forsberg, Brendan Morrison and Miro Satan.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:12 PM
Digger12

The most disappointing thing to me about Chimera is that he did have a strong preseason, I was really hoping he could step up as a top 6 player...now, he can't go to the pressbox fast enough for me, at least for a game or two to get his attention.

2 points in 10 games, and only 12 shots. Most importantly however, I'm not seeing the speed.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:16 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
The move Ales made was fantastic. I've seen it done a few times, and I like the names of the other guys I've seen do it in a game: Jaromir Jagr, Peter Forsberg, Brendan Morrison and Miro Satan.
I was thinkin of that Demitra goal from last year. It takes brains, talent, skill, and patience, all combined into one little move that changed the game, gotta love it.

And he's 20........

Old
11-02-2003, 05:42 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
It looked like he was trying to cross over and get into the inside lane to me just didn't raise his arm and stick high enough.
Thats what I thought. They showed him afterwards in the bench and he was pissed. I think as he went to crossover, Zetterberg just collapsed to draw the penalty. As soon as they went down I thought Chimera had a look of "oh did I just get setup and played" on his face

Old
11-02-2003, 08:12 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
ok, point taken - but if he doesn't take that shot, there's no setup for Moreau, and I know of at least a couple of Oilers who'd have elected to try for a better shot, and perhaps wound up causing a turnover (you hear me, Ales?). Up until, well, this game, I'd have thought Pisani would have tried to make something better too. Hopefully the whole team learns something from that: good things really do happen if you just make the simple play. Shooters get the puck on net, everybody else drive hard for the net.

Old
11-02-2003, 08:17 AM
barto

Quote:
agreed on the penalty. Stupid move on his part and did you see his face after he got the penalty he was so pissed off at the call it was funny to watch.
What gets me is that this is supposedly the fastest guy on the team (Chimera) but he takes a rather lazy penalty on a guy he likely could have caught up with in 4 more strides. Instead he jumps on his back after grabbing with his glove. What the heck are the refs supposed to do?

JC doesn't seem to have the same intensity or hunger he did when he was playing well last year, or even when he was fighting for a roster spot...

Bart

Old
11-02-2003, 12:40 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Ditto. Zetterberg knew what he was doing and just got his hip onto him, it did look pathetic though.

How anyone could draw another conclusion from that is laughable. Noone who ever got past major junior would intentionally take that penalty in the neutral zone with the play going in that direction.

Closed Thread