HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Power Rankings - #7

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2005, 05:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
TSN Power Rankings - #7

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=548&hubname=

I dont put too much stock (if any) into these Rankings, whether it be ESPN or TSN or whatever... but i just like to see where the National and Canadian medias place the Rangers.

I find it hard to believe that the Flyers, Avalanche and Stars are ahead of the Rangers in these rankings. I know they are good teams, but I just dont see them playing as well as the Rangers right now, especially with the Rangers having played more games than anyone in the league really. And I watch other games..

BUT- a big part of me kinda likes the fact that they are getting attention but not an excess, and in a way the Rangers have to do alot more than most teams to gain that respect since its been almost 10 years since theyve been this competitive. I also like the fact that they arent being overrated, since they havent earned that. Yet.

What annoys me the most is TSN calling the Rangers the New York Jagrs, as well as being genrally negative towards the team... which is ok if your a fan of another team, but if your the media, stop being jealous and report. I know Jagrs on a tear right now, but the Rangers would not be the #7 Rank if they were letting over 3.5 goals per game like the #3 ranked team.

Old
11-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Levitate

the close wins over buffalo and the caps probably didn't let them move up much...the guy who does tsn's rankings does it in weird ways though so who knows what he was thinking

probably just feels there isn't enough scoring depth beyond jagr

Old
11-28-2005, 06:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
the close wins over buffalo and the caps probably didn't let them move up much...the guy who does tsn's rankings does it in weird ways though so who knows what he was thinking

probably just feels there isn't enough scoring depth beyond jagr
Oh, and they are right... but the Rangers are just getting it done. Plain and simple. The Flyers have a load of talent. They are 2-3-2 on this last stretch. And more importantly, let first place slip away.

Old
11-28-2005, 06:36 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
Oh, and they are right... but the Rangers are just getting it done. Plain and simple. The Flyers have a load of talent. They are 2-3-2 on this last stretch. And more importantly, let first place slip away.
With all due respect HBNYC I am not attacking you!....

As much as anyone can look at it as "just getting it done", I can look at it they are busting their a$$es with their limited talent and overachieving their way to wins. You can easily take 5 of the Rangers wins and call them losses in any year of the last 8 or so. But this year they find a way. Just getting it done is over a few games, not 25.

Everyone is watching the Rangers out of the corner of their eye waiting for something to go very wrong. No one outside NY will believe in this team until they actually make the playoffs. I have a feeling if the NYR are in the top 5 in the East at the Olympic break, there will *still* be questions and doubters.

The doubting thing works for the Rangers (see 28th place predictions).

Old
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
As much as anyone can look at it as "just getting it done", I can look at it they are busting their a$$es with their limited talent and overachieving their way to wins. You can easily take 5 of the Rangers wins and call them losses in any year of the last 8 or so. But this year they find a way. Just getting it done is over a few games, not 25.
I realize it wasn't the main point of your post, but talent comes in many forms. Remember the '95-'96 Panthers? Yes, a different era, but still - teams can go a very long way with what some might consider "limited" talent.

Old
11-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

as much of a homer-ranger fan as i am, seriously tho, we may be a very good team, but personally i still think ottowa, detroit, and la are better than us. the avs have horrid goal tending so i think they are below us, the flyers are pretty slow on DEF and we have beated them once, so i say were better than them, and the maple leafs, well i just dont like that team, i think we should have won that game if not for the ridiculously 1-sided reffing, so personally i rank us 4th in the league...not bad considering my pre-season prediction had us ranked at ~10th in the east....

Old
11-28-2005, 07:53 PM
DutchShamrock

Respect would be nice, but it's also nice to look down and see the Devils (20), Isles(21), and Pens (24) living in the bottom half. I used to get tired scrolling down the screen looking for the Rangers.

Old
11-28-2005, 08:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
With all due respect HBNYC I am not attacking you!....

Everyone is watching the Rangers out of the corner of their eye waiting for something to go very wrong. No one outside NY will believe in this team until they actually make the playoffs. I have a feeling if the NYR are in the top 5 in the East at the Olympic break, there will *still* be questions and doubters.

The doubting thing works for the Rangers (see 28th place predictions).
But if the rankings are taking into consideration what a team has done over the past stretch of games -

"With six wins in the last seven games the Stars have, almost quietly, risen to join the top teams in the Western Conference. Niko Kapanen, heretofore not much of an impact player, has set up 11 goals in the last 12 games. (Stars, Ranked 5th)"

"The Coyotes (13-11-2) can thank Curtis Joseph for a streak that has seen them win four of five, even though the desert dogs are getting outshot on an almost-nightly basis." (Ranked 9th. a complete joke... I think Montreal is WAY better, and they are 14-6-4 - ranked 18 because of Kovalev's RECENT injury.)

You gotta give credit where credit is due, no matter how they are getting it done - Rangers went 10-3-0 in November, 6 Wins on the road and only 5 out of the 13 Games at Home.

Im just playing Devils advocate here...the guy who writes this is a little partial if you ask me...

I agree with your points for the most part.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 11-28-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old
11-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
But if the rankings are taking into consideration what a team has done over the past stretch of games -

"With six wins in the last seven games the Stars have, almost quietly, risen to join the top teams in the Western Conference. Niko Kapanen, heretofore not much of an impact player, has set up 11 goals in the last 12 games. (Stars, Ranked 5th)"

"The Coyotes (13-11-2) can thank Curtis Joseph for a streak that has seen them win four of five, even though the desert dogs are getting outshot on an almost-nightly basis." (Ranked 9th. a complete joke... I think Montreal is WAY better, and they are 14-6-4 - ranked 18 because of Kovalev's RECENT injury.)

You gotta give credit where credit is due, no matter how they are getting it done - Rangers went 10-3-0 in November, 6 Wins on the road and only 5 out of the 13 Games at Home.

Im just playing Devils advocate here...the guy who writes this is a little partial if you ask me...

I agree with your points for the most part.

lol, I'm pretty sure both of you misunderstood what the other was saying.

Old
11-28-2005, 10:47 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Now that I re-read this, the Power Rankings are basically the most recent games, not necessarily the whole season?

Old
11-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Crease

Sorta, I see power-rankings as a culmination of the teams' play over the entire season so far, with some notice to recent games that have been played, recent injuries to their players, and recent acquisations via trade or waivers.

TSN has notoriously the worst power-rankings on the web, being bias towards favoring the Leafs and completely blowing off the Habs. For that matter, any canadian team pretty much is better than any American team regardless of record, except if you're Montreal.

On another note, Yahoo's most recent power-rankings had us at #2 behind Ottawa a couple of games ago.

Old
11-29-2005, 12:58 AM
rickyrod

it's nice to see, but this list is usually bogus and unreliable.

Old
11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by abme
Now that I re-read this, the Power Rankings are basically the most recent games, not necessarily the whole season?
Exactly. It is non-cumulative.

Old
11-29-2005, 12:24 PM
Fletch

It is cumulative...

and projected, as well as recent trends (which some people forget what happen last month and just look to last week), otherwise you'd have vastly different rankings. Philly's at #3 and is 2-3-2 in their last 7 (essentially 2 wins and 5 losses) - so it's not just recent as that should land them in the bottom third if this was just indicative of the last week.

And the Rangers are 'just getting it done'. In other words, they're finding ways to win. They're keeping games close and the big guys are doing what big guys do.

Closed Thread