HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
No one deserves a pass after 1 Cup Final appearance in 14 years. Coaches that have done a heck of a lot more than Lindy Ruff have been fired 2 and 3 times over.

The man has not has the talent on the team to work with? Was there any team more talented than the 2006-7 Buffalo Sabres in nearly all of Sabres history? There was plenty of talent on the 2000 Sabres as well, including Dominik Hasek. A boat load of talent in 2005-6. You want to give him a pass for injures on the blueline in the playoffs of '06? Fine, you can have that one. It's understandable.
But, the Sabres did have the lead heading into the 3rd period of game 7 against Carolina in the Eastern Conference Finals.

But to say he's never had the talent is just made up.

How about you explain why he's such a great coach?

When does the elite coaching kick in?
I would like to share my thoughts, if I may be so bold?

If greatness is measured in wins and losses, than Lindy Ruff IS a great coach. If it's measured in Stanley Cup championships, he is NOT a great coach. Is his current style of coaching great? I dunno. Coach Ruff has forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. All I can tell is that the Sabres style of play is usually very fast and fun to watch, but the results are varied.

With coaching, knowing how to win is half of it. The other half is conveying that knowledge to dozens of highly trained athletes every day, and getting the very best out of each and every one of them. The later part is why good coaches get fired, and some very mediocre coaches (like Boucher IMHO) get better results. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get everybody to buy into what you're selling all the time. It's only natural to tune out your boss, and Lindy Ruff sends them a wake up call, and they wake up.

The bottom line is this. If you're team underachieves, as a GM, you fire the coach. Has a Lindy Ruff coaches team ever underachieved? Over the last 3 years I would say no. In fact, a few years ago they may have overachieved. This year it's pretty much par for the course. With the talent and injuries they have had all year, their current record seems about right to me. The home ice results are worrisome, but not catastrophic. If they go on a 10 game losing streak, then you know too many players have tuned out the coach and they are not working with him. I think Coach Ruff knows the nature of the business well, and he keeps his teams from going on long losing streaks. And that's why he's endured.

Old
12-02-2011, 04:30 PM
thomas2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post

If greatness is measured in wins and losses, than Lindy Ruff IS a great coach. If it's measured in Stanley Cup championships, he is NOT a great coach. Is his current style of coaching great? I dunno. Coach Ruff has forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. All I can tell is that the Sabres style of play is usually very fast and fun to watch, but the results are varied.

With coaching, knowing how to win is half of it. The other half is conveying that knowledge to dozens of highly trained athletes every day, and getting the very best out of each and every one of them. The later part is why good coaches get fired, and some very mediocre coaches (like Boucher IMHO) get better results. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get everybody to buy into what you're selling all the time. It's only natural to tune out your boss, and Lindy Ruff sends them a wake up call, and they wake up.

The bottom line is this. If you're team underachieves, as a GM, you fire the coach. Has a Lindy Ruff coaches team ever underachieved? Over the last 3 years I would say no. In fact, a few years ago they may have overachieved. This year it's pretty much par for the course. With the talent and injuries they have had all year, their current record seems about right to me. The home ice results are worrisome, but not catastrophic. If they go on a 10 game losing streak, then you know too many players have tuned out the coach and they are not working with him. I think Coach Ruff knows the nature of the business well, and he keeps his teams from going on long losing streaks. And that's why he's endured.
Great post. So many people like to point out that Lindy sucks when we struggle or haven't won championships but he has been a solid coach for the Sabres.

I love the point about how we overachieved in the past. That 05-06 team was picked to be one of the BOTTOM 4 teams in the NHL and ended up going to the conference finals. We haven't been winning in the playoffs lately the way I'd like to but I think Lindy is a good coach.

And who are you going to replace him with that would be an upgrade, loved in Buffalo, and respected like he is? If you replace him, you better hope the new coach is an upgrade or else, we enter the process of cycling coaches like the rest of the league.

Old
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post

Nice post.

A few of things:

1) Darcy Regier will never fire Lindy Ruff. No matter what.
2) The Sabres absolutely underachieved in game 7 in last years conference quarter finals. One could argue that the team underachieved right up until ownership changed. Perhaps no coach could have had any control over that, but it was the case. There is no excuse to mail in game 7, however. None.
3) Blowing 2 goal leads has become a Sabres trend. Blowing 2 goal leads can be directly related to underachieving for stretches with in games. It started against Boston in the 2010 playoffs, and has been happening in big games ever since. Game 6 against Philly in 2011, and most recently, against Boston in the biggest game of the season thus far for Buffalo. Whether it's underachieving, or going into a defensive shell, or relying on players like Derek Roy to pull his teams through, the finger is pointed at the coach when it's a trend.

I think Lindy Ruff did a hell of a job for the Sabres for a long time. But right around Gomez/Miller is where he went sour with me. He allowed his teams to become softer and softer until it all came to a head when Lucic ran Miller. Many fans want to blame the players for not responding. I blame the coach that has let the league take care of those types of situations for the last 3 or 4 years. That's right from the horses mouth. Ruff worries about ensuing powerplays in those situations, rather than having his players standup for eachother because that would mean they're taking penalties instead. They've practiced what he's preached. Now that's not allowed anymore, because they became the laughing stock of the league. Well they've been that way ever since Neil/Drury. That was the last time a Ruff team stuck up for one of their own. From Vanek to Connolly to Pominville and now to Miller, that mentality from the head coach has cost the Sabres big time.

Old
12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2637 View Post
Great post. So many people like to point out that Lindy sucks when we struggle or haven't won championships but he has been a solid coach for the Sabres.
I actually see many more people ignore any possible coaching issues and instead point the finger at past ownership (whether they spent to the cap ceiling or not), the GM, and the players. Never the coach, however...
Quote:
I love the point about how we overachieved in the past. That 05-06 team was picked to be one of the BOTTOM 4 teams in the NHL and ended up going to the conference finals. We haven't been winning in the playoffs lately the way I'd like to but I think Lindy is a good coach.
The 2005-6 season was 5 years ago. That's already longer than the average shelf life for most head coaches.
Quote:
And who are you going to replace him with that would be an upgrade, loved in Buffalo, and respected like he is? If you replace him, you better hope the new coach is an upgrade or else, we enter the process of cycling coaches like the rest of the league.
Ruff was just an assistant coach for the Florida Panthers when he was hired. He was replacing a former NHL Coach of the Year. He was essentially a nobody. This mindset is very hypocritical when it's used to explain why Ruff should be kept in his position.

Old
12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
And that was arguably the best effort from the team of the season so far. Curious, no?

Prior to the injuries, they were no great shakes either. Subtract Montador and Butler, add in Regehr and Ehrhoff, and the defensive zone was still in shambles prior to the injuries. Something is telling me that the players that are wearing the jerseys doesn't matter too much. The same issues remain. That can only mean one thing.
Well I mean, I like to credit the coach as much as possible in this situation. Yea the guys in the jerseys matter a ton, but Lindy took 9 guys who haven't been playing in the NHL, and haven't been playing with some of the guys with the Sabres and found a way to win.

The team is battling right now. I think it's realistic to give Ruff the boot if this team misses the playoffs this year no doubt.

But right now, the team is just plain fighting an uphill battle with injuries. The last thing they needs is for their coach to get canned in the midst of it.

Old
12-02-2011, 05:19 PM
5 Minute Major

Serious question.....

If the Sabres drop two this weekend, and look bad in the process, do you think a change will be considered?

Old
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Nice post.

A few of things:

1) Darcy Regier will never fire Lindy Ruff. No matter what.
2) The Sabres absolutely underachieved in game 7 in last years conference quarter finals. One could argue that the team underachieved right up until ownership changed. Perhaps no coach could have had any control over that, but it was the case. There is no excuse to mail in game 7, however. None.
3) Blowing 2 goal leads has become a Sabres trend. Blowing 2 goal leads can be directly related to underachieving for stretches with in games. It started against Boston in the 2010 playoffs, and has been happening in big games ever since. Game 6 against Philly in 2011, and most recently, against Boston in the biggest game of the season thus far for Buffalo. Whether it's underachieving, or going into a defensive shell, or relying on players like Derek Roy to pull his teams through, the finger is pointed at the coach when it's a trend.

I think Lindy Ruff did a hell of a job for the Sabres for a long time. But right around Gomez/Miller is where he went sour with me. He allowed his teams to become softer and softer until it all came to a head when Lucic ran Miller. Many fans want to blame the players for not responding. I blame the coach that has let the league take care of those types of situations for the last 3 or 4 years. That's right from the horses mouth. Ruff worries about ensuing powerplays in those situations, rather than having his players standup for eachother because that would mean they're taking penalties instead. They've practiced what he's preached. Now that's not allowed anymore, because they became the laughing stock of the league. Well they've been that way ever since Neil/Drury. That was the last time a Ruff team stuck up for one of their own. From Vanek to Connolly to Pominville and now to Miller, that mentality from the head coach has cost the Sabres big time.
1. I don't believe that, although I think the move would feel like an axe blow to Darcy's roots. When a team underachieves, somebody needs to explain why to the purse holders. Is it because of the team that you (the GM) assembled? If the answer is "no", move onto the next question. Has the team tuned out the coach? If "yes", proceed with the termination of the coach.

2. I don't think it was an inspiring effort by the team, but considering the experience level of that defense I can't say I was stunned by the result. The Flyers had them up against the ropes as soon as the bell rang, and if not for a weird bounce off of Grier's glove they might have escaped unscathed in that first period, and then who knows what happens the rest of the game? I thought Ruff made all the right moves with his defense, and gave all the right guys the right amount of ice time. Montador and Butler were massive liabilities (playing to not get hurt due to upcoming contracts IMO) and many inexperienced players were called upon to pick up their considerable slack. They were 20 minutes away from upsetting the 2 seeded defending ECC, that is overachieving.

3. Were they the better team last year or 2 years ago? Nahh, good teams but they were actually not quite as good as the Bruins then or as good as the Flyers last season.

But I agree with you, at some point he has to take these guys over the hump and onto the next level. THIS season is the time to make that happen. The pressure to succeed is as high as it's been in years, there can no longer be ANY excuses. Blowing a 2 goal lead in this years playoffs is totally unacceptable. Nothing less than an EC showing is acceptable by me, with the talent this team has. Plenty of time to work out the bugs and get healthy (hopefully stay that way too). Not making the playoffs would be unforgivable. Totally unforgivable. They better tighten up their D on home ice and get way more physically and emotionally invested in the games. But most importantly, Regier has to correct a few flaws on this team. Ruff's future with the team may very well depend on the trade deadline.

SO if Regier wants to keep his life partner around, he better not **** that up.

Old
12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Serious question.....

If the Sabres drop two this weekend, and look bad in the process, do you think a change will be considered?
By posters on hfboards? Sure.

By the front office? Not a snowball's chance in Hades.

Old
12-02-2011, 06:21 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
No one deserves a pass after 1 Cup Final appearance in 14 years. Coaches that have done a heck of a lot more than Lindy Ruff have been fired 2 and 3 times over.
Oh, really? How many teams have been to the conference finals four times since 1997? Go ahead, look it up.

No, how about I do it for you. Teams that have appeared in the conference finals four times or more since Lindy took over:

Colorado (huge budget team, 0 appearances since lockout)
Detroit (huge budget team, 2 appearances since lockout)
Philadelphia (huge budget team, 2 appearances since lockout)
Dallas (formerly huge budget team, 1 appearance since lockout)
Buffalo (formerly tiny-budget team that went bankrupt because owner was embezzling money from the team, replaced by cheapskate owner, 2 appearances since lockout)

That's it. Four teams have been to the league semifinals as many times as Buffalo since Lindy took over, all of them teams with huge budgets and no financial limitations. And then little old Buffalo.

Look, I don't know what you guys think success is. I don't possibly see how "1 finals appearance in 14 years" is some brutal stretch. I don't know what sort of mathematics you ascribe to, but in 14 years, 28 teams max could go to the finals. There are 30 teams in the league. Going to the SCF isn't some god-given right.

You can argue Lindy isn't the right coach for this team, and I can buy that. But to argue he hasn't been successful, and highly so, is just ludicrous. LUDICROUS. Especially considering the circumstances he and Regier have dealt with.

Old
12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

The two goal lead thing is troublesome, but in 09-10 they were, what 31-0 in the regular season when they led by two goals?

The guy has a 14-year tenure. It's not like in April of 2010 he forgot how to defend two-goal leads, just like he didn't discover some magic potion in September 2009 that taught him how to protect them.

Trends come and go, it's the way of things. What doesn't is the Sabres being an above-average to great team, which they've been for 14 seasons.

Grass is always greener syndrome. You guys don't realize how good we have it.

Old
12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
gallagt01

Are people really still calling the Sabres the laughing stock of the league because of the Miller/Lucic incident?

Old
12-02-2011, 06:31 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Oh, really? How many teams have been to the conference finals four times since 1997? Go ahead, look it up.

No, how about I do it for you. Teams that have appeared in the conference finals four times or more since Lindy took over:

Buffalo (formerly tiny-budget team that went bankrupt because owner was embezzling money from the team, replaced by cheapskate owner, 2 appearances since lockout)
That's actually pretty impressive when you put it that way.

Old
12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Slapshot85

I think Lindy does things that absolutely drive me nuts. The constant line changes, the goalie management (though that has gotten better this year), the love affair and dog house approach with certain players. I do think it might be time for a change if things don't turn around. Not that he is a bad coach, but to inject a new approach, a new spirit, a new coaching style to a stale environment.

If Lindy and his team continue to slump, this will be the Pegula's first real test of making those tough, hard decisions.

Old
12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Serious question.....

Off to a great start.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
ShaPow

Quote:

That's it. Four teams have been to the league semifinals as many times as Buffalo since Lindy took over, all of them teams with huge budgets and no financial limitations. And then little old Buffalo.

Look, I don't know what you guys think success is. I don't possibly see how "1 finals appearance in 14 years" is some brutal stretch. I don't know what sort of mathematics you ascribe to, but in 14 years, 28 teams max could go to the finals. There are 30 teams in the league. Going to the SCF isn't some god-given right.

You can argue Lindy isn't the right coach for this team, and I can buy that. But to argue he hasn't been successful, and highly so, is just ludicrous. LUDICROUS. Especially considering the circumstances he and Regier have dealt with.
Highly successful in the moral victory department. As a Buffalonian, I'm quite sick of those.

His one Cup Final trip was on the shoulders of the greatest goaltender of all-time. Hasek is the main reason why the Sabres were playing for the Cup in '99. Not Ruff. (That also includes one of his trips to the Eastern Conference Finals, prior to the lockout.)

His third and forth trips to the Eastern Conference Finals were mostly the result of a perfect storm. A league returning from lockout, vastly changing its rules to favor players with quickness and skill, and built in roster that was set up perfectly for such drastic changes. That team had four #1 lines, more fit for the rule changes than any other team in the league, mostly due to the general manager and quite a bit of luck with the rule changes.

The Sabres literally had trouble staying under the cap in 2006-7. Little old Buffalo? Save it. You can call it little old Buffalo for the 3 bankruptcy years, aside from those, Ruff either had the greatest goaltender of all time between his pipes, or a league in transition with a near perfect roster. Then he had one of the most expensive teams in the league in 2006-7.

Honestly, If I could imagine the perfect Stanley Cup Parade coming down Delaware Avenue in Buffalo, Lindy Ruff would be my Sabres coach, sitting in the back of a convertable, waving and smiling and living it up with his team and the fans. He's been the bench boss through some incredible times. I'm not trying to make it sound like he's been a bad head coach. He's been a good head coach. A great one even for a couple of seasons during his 14 year career. But as the faces on the roster have continued to change, especially over the last 4 years, and for the team to have the same issues and the same failures, he's had his biggest accomplishes in Buffalo already. Even with the greatest goaltender of all-time, or "Four 1st lines" as Antero Nittymaki said of the Sabres in 2006, when the chips are down, Ruff's way doesn't work.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
5 Minute Major

Maybe the time has come to relieve Darcy Regier and have a new set of eyes come in and evaluate this team and let the new GM make the call of what needs to be fixed?

Old
12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
ogoaltrop

Quote:

Wow, make this poster my attourney !!!!!!!
Spoken like a real true fan that bleeds the blue and gold.
And sure.......... Winter is only 3 months long in Buffalo, look it up ... I defy you to prove me wrong!

Old
12-02-2011, 08:33 PM
ShaPow

Quote:
The two goal lead thing is troublesome, but in 09-10 they were, what 31-0 in the regular season when they led by two goals?

The guy has a 14-year tenure. It's not like in April of 2010 he forgot how to defend two-goal leads, just like he didn't discover some magic potion in September 2009 that taught him how to protect them.

Trends come and go, it's the way of things. What doesn't is the Sabres being an above-average to great team, which they've been for 14 seasons.

Grass is always greener syndrome. You guys don't realize how good we have it.
They haven't really been an above average to great team for 14 straight seasons. They've missed the playoffs in 5 the last 9 seasons. Above average teams make the playoffs. Some average teams even make the playoffs. But it's not just about making the playoffs. Getting to the 1st round is simply a moral victory. More than half the teams in the league make it to the 1st round of the playoffs.

Sure, in 2009-10, they were great at winning regular season games while up by 2 (I assume there were a couple of shootout victories in there as well...) Then they dropped 2 playoff games out of 3 after being up by two goals, before losing in 6 game to the Bruins. That's when it matters. That's when the chips are down. Then they did it again in game 6 against the Flyers the following year. Now they're doing all over again this season with major upgrades along the blue line.

I'm failing to see why Sabres fans should continue to still be so optimistic with Lindy Ruff behind the bench.

Old
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
indigoo

Quote:
They haven't really been an above average to great team for 14 straight seasons. They've missed the playoffs in 5 the last 9 seasons. Above average teams make the playoffs. Some average teams even make the playoffs. But it's not just about making the playoffs. Getting to the 1st round is simply a moral victory. More than half the teams in the league make it to the 1st round of the playoffs.

Sure, in 2009-10, they were great at winning regular season games while up by 2 (I assume there were a couple of shootout victories in there as well...) Then they dropped 2 playoff games out of 3 after being up by two goals, before losing in 6 game to the Bruins. That's when it matters. That's when the chips are down. Then they did it again in game 6 against the Flyers the following year. Now they're doing all over again this season with major upgrades along the blue line.

I'm failing to see why Sabres fans should continue to still be so optimistic with Lindy Ruff behind the bench.
I'm failing as well. Winning record or not, playoff "appearances" or not, Ruff just doesn't seem like he can make it happen anymore. The trends, the consistent slumps and poor play has to come from somewhere. If it's not a matter of coaching/player chemistry, then it's just who we are picking. Before Ruff, I'd like to see Regier gone. Maybe we just need a new GM willing to really stake it out and get us some legit talent? Ruff's had his chance, I don't see why it's necessary to keep enabling this?

Maybe just an overreaction but come on, this team hasn't been the same since those first two games.

Old
12-02-2011, 11:31 PM
5 Minute Major

If Scotty Bowman can be fired, what makes Lindy Ruff above that same fate?

I like Lindy but this team's performance simply isn't acceptable.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:28 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
If Scotty Bowman can be fired, what makes Lindy Ruff above that same fate?

I like Lindy but this team's performance simply isn't acceptable.
Boudreau's Ducks outplayed Philly tonight and were winning battles left and right. (I watched some of it, not all)

Sometimes a new message just gets guys going.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:37 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
For those who want Lindy gone - please enlighten me as to who out there you propose would be a better replacement?
would you have said the same thing to pens fans when they wanted julien gone? cuz they brought up a rookie coach.. and theyve worked out pretty well.

at this point, a warm body with a loud voice would suffice. the "system" is everyone standing around like pylons watching the other team run practice drills.

ruff has to go, yesterday.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclubber25 View Post
would you have said the same thing to pens fans when they wanted julien gone? cuz they brought up a rookie coach.. and theyve worked out pretty well.

at this point, a warm body with a loud voice would suffice. the "system" is everyone standing around like pylons watching the other team run practice drills.

ruff has to go, yesterday.
That makes perfect sense .... A warm body with a loud voice. And if you're not REALLY serious about that nonsense, then why say it? For shock value? Answer the question intelligently, who would you replace Ruff with?

Old
12-03-2011, 01:00 AM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
That makes perfect sense .... A warm body with a loud voice. And if you're not REALLY serious about that nonsense, then why say it? For shock value? Answer the question intelligently, who would you replace Ruff with?
I'll be honest.

If the Sabres replace Ruff at this point in this season I would like to see them let James Patrick take over for the rest of the season. If Patrick doesn't cut it would then search for another option when more are available (off-season).

This team needs an enema and I would also replace Regier.

Kind of like black Monday back in the late 70's when they axed Marcel Pronovost and Punch Imlach.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:19 AM
Sabreality

Pegula needs to show some brass balls...Darcy & Lindy can go have fun in Columbus.

new GM Rick Dudley, new Coach Tony Granato

Closed Thread