HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Holmgren

Old
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Paul Holmgren

I know a lot of people don't like him but hey Walker cleared so lets celebrate!

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM
mirimon

Maybe that's why Walker cleared, a birthday gift from the other 29 GM's. Homer traded the 29 bike helmets he would have gotten into "no one screws with our roster movements that day".

Oh, and happy birthday Homer

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Prongo
Beer

Happy Birthday Big guy... Doesn't get the respect he should really. He has constantly put together a good team that competes. And I won't make this a debate whether his moves are good or not haha. We contend for the Cup every year and that's what I ask for. So happy happy biatch'

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Happy Birthday Big guy... Doesn't get the respect he should really. He has constantly put together a good team that competes. And I won't make this a debate whether his moves are good or not haha. We contend for the Cup every year and that's what I ask for. So happy happy biatch'
Except for last year. And really, every year that isn't 2010.

12-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I have just one question? Did we make the playoffs? Once you get in anything can happen. If we make it to the playoffs the team is contending for a Cup

Old
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Then I suppose he's in the top 50% of GMs in the East.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Then I suppose he's in the top 50% of GMs in the East.
I never put any percentage on how good he is. All I said was he makes us a contender and you said we weren't except in 2010. If we make the playoffs we are a contender.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
I never put any percentage on how good he is. All I said was he makes us a contender and you said we weren't except in 2010. If we make the playoffs we are a contender.
Eh. Not every team that makes the playoffs is a realistic contender. Generally, if you aren't in the top-3 or 4 you aren't going to go anywhere. If you go through the list of teams that make the Finals and win the Cup you'll find that to be true.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Eh. Not every team that makes the playoffs is a realistic contender. Generally, if you aren't in the top-3 or 4 you aren't going to go anywhere. If you go through the list of teams that make the Finals and win the Cup you'll find that to be true.
Oh come on this is ridiculous. The Flyers made it being an 8th seed. They made it to the Cup, so that defintely means they are contending. Just like every other team that tries to make the playoffs, if they get in they are contenders for it. There's no way you can say that the teams in the playoffs are not contender.

Now what you might want to say is that they aren't strong contenders, but they still are contenders no matter how you put it

Old
12-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Who knows if 2010 would of happen for us. Halak was phenomenal.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Going from last overall to contending for the cup at all inside four or five years is pretty good. You're also forgetting we made the conference finals too.

Actually, every year but one so far we've lost to the eventual winners or finalists. Pittsburgh twice, Chicago and Boston. That's with Holmgren's team.

Sure, he makes mistakes. Name me one GM who doesn't. He makes far less than others though and he pulls gold far more often. I cannot comprehend why our fan base hates him so much.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Going from last overall to contending for the cup at all inside four or five years is pretty good. You're also forgetting we made the conference finals too.

Actually, every year but one so far we've lost to the eventual winners or finalists. Pittsburgh twice, Chicago and Boston. That's with Holmgren's team.

Sure, he makes mistakes. Name me one GM who doesn't. He makes far less than others though and he pulls gold far more often. I cannot comprehend why our fan base hates him so much.
Because he makes stupid mistakes which are completely avoidable, and has shown a tendency to repeat those mistakes.

Quote:
Oh come on this is ridiculous. The Flyers made it being an 8th seed. They made it to the Cup, so that defintely means they are contending. Just like every other team that tries to make the playoffs, if they get in they are contenders for it. There's no way you can say that the teams in the playoffs are not contender.

Now what you might want to say is that they aren't strong contenders, but they still are contenders no matter how you put it
The Flyers were the 7th seed, and what they did was extraordinarily rare. They weren't realistic contenders last year, that's for sure. Do you think NYR really had a chance to win a Cup last year?

I don't buy into the "But they lost to the Cup Winner" argument. All that shows is that they weren't good enough to actually compete for a Cup. They weren't the best team.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Because he makes stupid mistakes which are completely avoidable, and has shown a tendency to repeat those mistakes.

The Flyers were the 7th seed, and what they did was extraordinarily rare. They weren't realistic contenders last year, that's for sure. Do you think NYR really had a chance to win a Cup last year?

I don't buy into the "But they lost to the Cup Winner" argument. All that shows is that they weren't good enough to actually compete for a Cup. They weren't the best team.
So you are saying as a Flyers fans if we make it to the playoffs as a 8th-5th seed you dont think of us as contenders??

Old
12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
So you are saying as a Flyers fans if we make it to the playoffs as a 8th-5th seed you dont think of us as contenders??
Realistically, not really. I love being surprised though!

Yeah, "anything can happen." But it really isn't likely, unfortunately. That's what makes those underdog runs so special.

Old
12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Realistically, not really. I love being surprised though!

Yeah, "anything can happen." But it really isn't likely, unfortunately. That's what makes those underdog runs so special.
That makes me sad Beef... We as fans should share the same enthusiasm for when the team makes it to the dance. Not we don't have a realistic chance of winning this year outlook. If the Flyers make it to the playoffs I believe they will make it to the Cup and win it every year. Isn't that what fans do? Even if it is unrealistic they win it every year, I feel if they make the playoffs they have that shot to win it all

Old
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
That makes me sad Beef... If the Flyers make it to the playoffs I believe they will make it to the Cup and win it every year. Isn't that what fans do? Even if it is unrealistic they win it every year, I feel if they make the playoffs they have that shot to win it all
It's possible to be an enthusiastic fan and still have realistic expectations based on history.

Oh and happy birthday Paul

Old
12-02-2011, 01:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Since he is pretty bad with numbers and remembering to wear head gear..is he aware of his age

Anyway..Happy B-day..I suppose some people want to give you 56 punches in "celebration". I want to give you a few for a number of transgressions but also an affectionate noogie for trading Carter and getting a nice return.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 12-02-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: no speaky engrish
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Clyde Donovan

wah wah wah Paul Holmgren wah wah

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Really its no sense arguing with some people. Happy Birthday Paul. A true Flyer and a very good GM. Well Done. Congrats.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote