HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

YOUR limit with Lindy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Oh, really? How many teams have been to the conference finals four times since 1997? Go ahead, look it up.

No, how about I do it for you. Teams that have appeared in the conference finals four times or more since Lindy took over:

Colorado (huge budget team, 0 appearances since lockout)
Detroit (huge budget team, 2 appearances since lockout)
Philadelphia (huge budget team, 2 appearances since lockout)
Dallas (formerly huge budget team, 1 appearance since lockout)
Buffalo (formerly tiny-budget team that went bankrupt because owner was embezzling money from the team, replaced by cheapskate owner, 2 appearances since lockout)
Ya know what jumped right out at me? Only ONE of those five teams has never won a Cup!

Anybody? Beuhler?

Old
12-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Better Call Saul

Either change a couple core players or change the coach - whichever the Sabres' bigwigs think is easier to do. This clearly isn't working, as evidenced by both this season's crappy start and no playoff round wins since 2007.

Old
12-03-2011, 09:10 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Either change a couple core players or change the coach - whichever the Sabres' bigwigs think is easier to do. This clearly isn't working, as evidenced by both this season's crappy start and no playoff round wins since 2007.
Exactly. But the main problem is the fact that the owner has a hard on for his gm and coach, the gm loves the coach and the gm and coach coddle and make excuses for players because they are too stubborn to cut losses on players they've tried to turn into game changers.

Were in a lot of trouble here. This whole hockey heaven thing sounds great but there is a biiiiiiiig circle of love from top to bottom and I really don't see anyone canning anyone.

Old
12-03-2011, 09:15 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Serious question.....

If the Sabres drop two this weekend, and look bad in the process, do you think a change will be considered?
No. See my previous post.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:05 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Call me crazy, but we need Angry Lindy back. I haven't seen much emotion from him other than the crossed arms and frown. What happened to his yelling and screaming on the bench? I have a feeling the locker room is much the same way. I'm not looking for John Tortorella out there, but dammit get pissed at something and don't give the Lindy Ruff glare that's been the usual for this season.

I liken it to Terry Francona in Boston, the guy was a statue in the dugout. Lindy Ruff has become Mindy Ruff. Someone or something has to put a fire under his ass, and if its talk about him being fired I'm all for it.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:09 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Ya know what jumped right out at me? Only ONE of those five teams has never won a Cup!

Anybody? Beuhler?
HarryNealsGarden's post wasn't about championships. It was about moral victories. A very common trend with Ruff supporters.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:12 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
Call me crazy, but we need Angry Lindy back. I haven't seen much emotion from him other than the crossed arms and frown. What happened to his yelling and screaming on the bench? I have a feeling the locker room is much the same way. I'm not looking for John Tortorella out there, but dammit get pissed at something and don't give the Lindy Ruff glare that's been the usual for this season.

I liken it to Terry Francona in Boston, the guy was a statue in the dugout. Lindy Ruff has become Mindy Ruff. Someone or something has to put a fire under his ass, and if its talk about him being fired I'm all for it.
That Lindy Ruff left after the Drury/Neil incident.

He doesn't appear to be coming back.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:45 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Boudreau's Ducks outplayed Philly tonight and were winning battles left and right. (I watched some of it, not all)

Sometimes a new message just gets guys going.
The Ducks blew a 3-0 lead and lost 4-3 in OT. Something you would have ripped Lindy to shreds for.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-03-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old
12-03-2011, 10:50 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaPow View Post
HarryNealsGarden's post wasn't about championships. It was about moral victories. A very common trend with Ruff supporters.
What I find it odd is that many Ruff bashers rant and rave about the shortcomings of the personel on this team. Then get mad that the coach doesn't win the Cup with the same personel. That doesn't really make much sense.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:53 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
What I find it odd is that many Ruff bashers rant and rave about the shortcomings of the personel on this team. Then get mad that the coach doesn't win the Cup with the same personel. That doesn't really make much sense.
This team isn't a Cup contender, but it's still playing below potential.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:05 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
This team isn't a Cup contender, but it's still playing below potential.
Every team does at some point in the season. Thats something that seems to be lost on the vast majority of posters. When I read that some posters expecting 60min efforts every night or players at the their best every night I shake my head. Its not how it works.

Take the Wings as an example

The Wings fluctuated up and down and were around .500 before this win streak. They started the year 5-0 then then went 0-5-1 in their next 6, then won 4 straight then lost 2 now their 7gm win streak. Datsyuk had only 2 goals in the first 17gms of the year. It happens and teams/players have to fight throught it. We are struggling for sure but are still in 7th place even with a 3-6-1 record in our last 10gms. Thats with Ennis, Stafford and Leino not contributing much if anything offensively and Roy struggling to hit his stride. Thats also with Miller struggling through a chunk of starts. At some point things will get rolling.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-03-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old
12-03-2011, 11:11 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Detroit's stretches of bad play are an outlier, the Sabres' slump is more of the same.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:15 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
The Ducks blew a 3-0 lead and lost 4-3 in OT. Something you would have ripped Lindy to shreds for.
Yeah, but the effort was there!! The Flyers outclassed them, which is going to happen to the Ducks. But they sure were working hard.

Teams are going to outclass us too, but it shouldn't be teams like the Isles and Jackets.

Quote:
I'd like to see this group with a different voice/direction before anyone decides to blow it up. I mean as much as a lot of people, myself included, rag on guys like Roy and Stafford - they DO have talent. Maybe a different voice can get them turned around. If not, then you look into blowing up the core.

Not that I'm not against a Roy or Stafford shake up trade either. I'll take Lindy gone OR that.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:17 AM
ShaPow

Quote:
I don't fit into that equation. There is a ton of talent all over this roster.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:20 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Detroit's stretches of bad play are an outlier, the Sabres' slump is more of the same.
Ennis having no points then missing 17gms is more of the same?
Roy on pace for half of his usual point totals is more of the same?

I could point to stretchs for many teams and players that have struggled. But some fans on this board like to believe in the fantasy hockey world where good teams always give 60min efforts every night and star players don't slump for very long, if it all.

Throw in the injuries and its somewhat surprising we are still in 7th. Before any one tells me about the Pens and injuries. I can find teams with less man games lost due to injuries that we are ahead of in the standings. It goes both ways folks. But I expect selective use of the that fact as per usual.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old
12-03-2011, 11:28 AM
5 Minute Major

Quote:

I could point to stretchs for many teams and players that have struggled. But some fans on this board like to believe in the fanatsy hockey world where good teams always give 60min efforts every night and star players don't slump for very long if it all.
Josh, I do agree with you but let's also look at a bigger picture.

Derek Roy and Drew Stafford have also been part of the problem come playoff time. Look at their playoff stats. They are pathetic for guys you rely on to put the biscuit in the basket.

When they aren't showing well in the playoffs, and now can't score during the regular season, what value to they really have to this team?

We roasted Tim Connolly for the same thing, and rightfully so. Roy and Stafford really are in the same mold as Connolly when playoff hockey rolls around.

Changes are needed.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Josh, I do agree with you but let's also look at a bigger picture.

Derek Roy and Drew Stafford have also been part of the problem come playoff time. Look at their playoff stats. They are pathetic for guys you rely on to put the biscuit in the basket.

When they aren't showing well in the playoffs, and now can't score during the regular season, what value to they really have to this team?

We roasted Tim Connolly for the same thing, and rightfully so. Roy and Stafford really are in the same mold as Connolly when playoff hockey rolls around.

Changes are needed.
I'm talking about coaching you're talking about players. I have no issue with trading either of Roy or Stafford.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:34 AM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
I'm talking about coaching you're talking about players. I have no issue with trading either of Roy or Stafford.
OK, sorry. I need to to pay closer attention.

I said in another thread that I really wish the Sabres would axe Darcy Regier and bring another hockey man in that has no allegiance to anyone in the organization. Let the new GM evaluate Ruff, his staff and the players. If that new GM is fine with Lindy Ruff staying on as the coach I am good with that. If he feels a change is needed behind the bench I am OK with that as well.

Something needs to give and I think it starts with Darcy Regier. I don't want that man making another decision that will effect this team.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:

I could point to stretchs for many teams and players that have struggled. But some fans on this board like to believe in the fantasy hockey world where good teams always give 60min efforts every night and star players don't slump for very long, if it all.

Throw in the injuries and its somewhat surprising we are still in 7th. Before any one tells me about the Pens and injuries. I can find teams with less man games lost due to injuries that we are ahead of in the standings. It goes both ways folks. But I expect selective use of the that fact as per usual.
Ennis and Roy being streaky offensively is absolutely more of the same.

Uninspired play, blown leads and mental weakness are a long term trend with this group.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Hes part of the reason the personnel are in place.

I think they should blow it up. I think the coaching is terrible, i think the players are terribly inconsistent, i think the gm doesnt know when a change is needed and is too stubborn to cut losses and i think the owner is too loyal to his employees.

No i dont mean dump everyone but a real total evaluation from top to bottom needs to happen. Unfortunately its probably not going to because everyone has too much love for one another. Its a crying shame that Lindy doesnt have the love and respect for Miller when he gets run by Lucic as he does for other players who are still seeing ice after struggling year in and year out.

Pegula is here to stay - ok

Regier needs to learn when enugh is enough when it comes to cutting his losses. If a guy is inconsistent year in and year out... Ya gotta get rid of him. If you cant realize that then its time to find another job because you aren't going to bring in whats needed to win a cup.

Ruffs in game coaching is terrible. Wings get 3 goals in the 1st the Sabres have no pulse and he just stands there. No time out, no goaltending change, nothing. His goalie gets run over, no retaliation, no leaning over and sending out tough guys... NOTHING. Gragnani is absolutely awful and is still seeing 20+ minutes a game. Ever since 2007 this team has had an awful start to probably 60-75% of their games. Fans are constantly booing as they leave the ice during home games. At some point, you have to look the coaches way.

Bottom line is the players are paid to win games. Most of them are far too inconsistent to actually carry a team. Darcy is paid to make sure we have the best roster possible; we don't. Lindy gets paid to manage a game from behind the bench, fix issues as they arise, and get the most out of his players. i think the times are few and far between when he actually is successful in all 3 of these areas. Everyone is to blame. Its Pegulas job to fix. Unfortunately hes too much of a fan to actually do what he needs to do.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I never get involved in these Ruff debates. Ever. My personal belief is that every coach in modern pro sports has a shelf life. Some are longer than others, but there comes a time when every coach should be replaced. Has that time come for Lindy Ruff? I'm not sure, though I'm starting to move towards believing it has or will be upon us in the near future. As much as people would like to trade 1/3 of the team, that's not going to happen. I think the guys here need to hear a different voice and be taught new skills and strategies.

Ruff won't be unemployed long, and that's fine. I'm sure he'd do well with a team also in need of a new voice in the room. All good things come to an end, though. I see Lindy Ruff as the Jeff Fisher of hockey: good coach, has had some nice success, well-respected around the league, won't be out of a job long, etc. But he lost his job, too. Ruff isn't and shouldn't be untouchable. I'm not advocating change for the sake of change. But I think there's something stale in that room and it needs to be addressed if it continues much longer.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM
dan213

Quote:

Uninspired play, blown leads and mental weakness are a long term trend with this group.
This x1000. How many games do you see this team come out and look like they would rather be elsewhere? Especially at home...

The coach has to take the blame for this eventually. You need to change something up if it's not working.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:37 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan213 View Post
This x1000. How many games do you see this team come out and look like they would rather be elsewhere? Especially at home...

The coach has to take the blame for this eventually. You need to change something up if it's not working.
Yup.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:

I guess this group has decided to tune out the coach. All that's missing from losing Ruff as the head coach is a long losing streak that puts the playoffs in jeopardy.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Fire Ruff thread

Is there any team in the league that gives up more 2+ goal leads than us? Is there any team in the league whose system blows as much as ours, I don't understand how our breakout is so terrible. Our defensemen jump in on the rush and don't ****ing do anything, oh here goes an odd man rush the other way. I know the guy is a good coach and all, I appreciate everything he's done as a Sabre, but he has got to go. This team needs a new voice in the locker room. I'd be fine with our players playing a ****ing trap rather than watch the crap they put on the ice every game.

Closed Thread