Old
12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Mmm.. Christmas and beers.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Lindemans Kriek Cherry Lambic

Normally don't care about flavored beer, but Xmas is different. Thank god nowadays there are also quite a few smaller breweries here. And they've got some good beeeeeer. Expensive but goooood.

We had to live more than a decade here in Finland with only those mass produced dishwater lagers + only some imported specialities. Big breweries killed all the smaller ones.

But when we want to drink, it's a 24-pack or a "sausage dog" (12-pack) of consumption lager. When we want to enjoy, there's finally some good local choices.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 50
Xmas is all about eggnog for me.

I need to get me some kind of liqueur to mix in with the stuff you can buy in the grocery store.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
I think Miller Lite is worse than Mich Golden but that's like comparing...2 degrees of bad things. I drink it but doesn't mean I enjoy it necessarily.

I'd like to add Alaskan too...I like the winter ale and the ...what is it..white ale?

Old
12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Alaskan's summer beer, no idea what it's called, is pretty solid as well. Good IPA as well. Just a solid all-around brewery. Wonder how it would be from tap...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
12-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Miller Lite is the most drinkable of all the crap light lagers out there. It also has practically no alcohol in it so you have to drink a billion of them to catch a buzz. That's why I like Coors Light slightly better. I literally haven't had a Mich Golden Light since before I was 21. Probably my least favorite beer ever.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 50
Why are those mass market swills even worth mentioning?

Not only have we established that they taste worse than piss, but they have like zippo alcohol in them to boot. Youre better off drinking pretty much anything.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Alaskan's summer beer, no idea what it's called, is pretty solid as well. Good IPA as well. Just a solid all-around brewery. Wonder how it would be from tap...
Had it from a tap at Station 280...it holds up.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:36 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
How about terrible beers?

I remember freshman year of college, a huge group of the guys on my floor bought 10 cases of Mountain Crest (the cheapest beer we could find). Dear god, it took me a month to finish those damn beers. I swear it's brewed with maple syrup... Terrible, terrible beer.

I have a similar Mountain Crest story - you can't give away that beer. It's so cheap that a 6 pack is less than 4 bucks (which at one of my nearby liquor stores means you can't use a card on it).

But my favorite cheap beer story is a brew called Beer 30 (as in "What time is it? Oh Beer 30."). I went down to Madison right before I turned 21 and told a friend to buy "the cheapest beer possible." My mistake because he came out with a 30 pack for 9 bucks. It tastes like complete **** but carrying it around State Street like it was a baby and the ensuing evening made it the stuff of legend among my group of college friends.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
12-01-2011, 05:38 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Summer it's Weissbier, cold Hefe-Weisse. Especially when tasted in Germany. Very nice summer beer.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
But my favorite cheap beer story is a brew called Beer 30 (as in "What time is it? Oh Beer 30."). I went down to Madison right before I turned 21 and told a friend to buy "the cheapest beer possible." My mistake because he came out with a 30 pack for 9 bucks. It tastes like complete **** but carrying it around State Street like it was a baby and the ensuing evening made it the stuff of legend among my group of college friends.

My buddy from Duluth had the goal of wallpapering his room with Beer 30 boxes. He gave up... And it wasn't because he was short on cash.

Old
12-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I have a similar Mountain Crest story - you can't give away that beer. It's so cheap that a 6 pack is less than 4 bucks (which at one of my nearby liquor stores means you can't use a card on it).

Reminds me of this tasty treat:

Old
12-01-2011, 06:17 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

In school at UND, one of our many activities was going to Winnipeg for the night/weekend and basically running a muck. On one trip to the liquor store up there we found what was called Stone Cold Draft.

Quote:
Stone Cold Draft (budget beer in 2L plastic bottles, 6.2%)
wiki
It was something like $4 for the two liter and was about as awful as you could imagine...

Old
12-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Ice box hockey

I grew up living by the canadian border so i got a habit of drinking their beer when i would go up to my cabin. Probably my second favorite beer out there

Old
12-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

I'm actually on my way to a crappy beer night at Space Aliens bar in GF a little later. They give you a can of bad assorted beer for 1.50.

Shmidt, Schlitz, PBR, Mich Golden, Hamms, Natty Ice, and a few others I don't remember.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:06 PM
DW

That's quite a list of crummy beers.....geez, thought they quit making Hamms, great beer commercials back in the day though.

Old
12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

What? Are you fellow finns implying that KOFF and Pirkka-olut aren't the best beers out there in the world? But you get 24 for 20!

Old
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Had the Summit winter ale on tap last night. It was significantly better than from a bottle. I know most beer is better on tap, but this one made a more noticeable difference than usual. If you're a fan of beer with a little coffee flavor to it, summit winter ale is a good one.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Haite
x

The Official Bear Thread, you say?

Sorry, I think I might've been mistaken.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Willdo8302

Rocking Premium and Black Butte Porter. so nummy

Old
12-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
What? Are you fellow finns implying that KOFF and Pirkka-olut aren't the best beers out there in the world? But you get 24 for 20!
During my 19-year life, I have only had 1 Pirkka-beer. Ever. And it was ****ing horrible. Honestly. Worse than Lapin Kulta.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
During my 19-year life, I have only had 1 Pirkka-beer. Ever. And it was ****ing horrible. Honestly. Worse than Lapin Kulta.
It is basically Olvi, keeping that in mind it is ok for me. I do consume KOFF by far the most, Karjala and Karhu after that. Haven't really ventured out of the mass-lagers yet cos I'm not drinking for the taste.

Old
12-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
It is basically Olvi, keeping that in mind it is ok for me. I do consume KOFF by far the most, Karjala and Karhu after that. Haven't really ventured out of the mass-lagers yet cos I'm not drinking for the taste.
That's Finland for ya!

Anyway, I lied. There was this Swedish beer in markets (at least in summer) called Pistonhead. AVOID IT. At all costs.

I personally, as I said, prefer Fosters but if I must choose from the Finnish brands, it would be Karjala, even though Koff and Karhu taste pretty good, too.

Hollandia is a very good beer by the way, and you can get it from most supermarkets at a bit more expensive prize than normal beer but it's worth it. Give it a try some day.

Old
12-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Went to Toby Keith's Bar last night and snapped this pic of the beer list:

Luckily I walked up to the bar and saw they had Summit Winter Ale on tap. Otherwise it would have been a whiskey night.

Also, I'm glad that they have "Bud" on tap, in bottles, and in cans. Thank God.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:46 PM
MNman

Lets mix beer (a downer) with loads of caffine and sugar (uppers)!!!!!

It'll taste horrible and make you feel awful at the same time.

Worst Idea Ever

Old
12-03-2011, 05:55 PM
SeeKpzl8

You guys should check out this new brewery in St. Louis Park called Steeltoe brewing. Their ipa (size 7) is outstanding.

Closed Thread