HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread 3.0 - The "Does Anybody Want Christensen??" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2011, 10:07 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Neil didn't want to play here. No thanks. A talentless 4th liner. Yes he throws the body and can fight, but after that he's useless.

Ruutu I think is the perfect fit for this team.

Gritty, plays the wall well so that would help with the cycle game we use. Can score and pass well.

He would fit our system very well.
A couple of years back I would have disagreed with you about Neil - he appeared to be shaping up as Lucic-light. Then, I don't know what happened, but he seemed to lose a step and the nice modicum of skill he added to his physicality disappeared. At this point, I agree - he's an overpriced 4th liner.

As to whom we should be acquiring, I pretty much just want a Bobby Ryan at this point. We have more than enough depth in our bottom 6 - I only want to be spending assets to truly upgrade the offense, preferably with a player like Ryan who could be part of the core for years. I mean, I could also get on board with a guy like Selanne or Whitney as a rental just for a Cup run, but one of the reasons I was so excited about the Ryan rumor is just how perfectly he would fit in, both as part of the current squad and team going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
I don't care how talented Wolski is, if he's not scoring he's not doing anything. Way too inconsistent, typical player that has the tools but doesn't use them all the time and drives you crazy. Find a suitor and get whatever draft pick you can for him.
Am I the only one who thought he played really well in his limited time? Also, I wonder how much he's been hampered by this injury all along - it's the sort of thing that you can try to fight through (as he did) for quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Torts decided not to shake up the lineup that's been so successful for so long, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he did get inserted back immediately upon his return - honestly I can live with the coach's call on that one.

Regardless, as BlueshirtBlitz points out, the moment this team loses a couple in a row, I would expect to see him back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Christensen's value is larger with the team, then without imo.

I think a lot of fans fail to realize that depth is more important then trading a player away. For what? What are you going to get for him? If its a perfect package deal to get someone who can legitimately upgrade the team, then fine (but you're probably including a top prospect in there as well and Christ is just filler).

Injuries happen, slumps happen. Christensen has value on this team even though some fans refuse to admit it. He's got skil land while hes not on the playing roster right now, if one or two centers go down, you better expect him to be in the lineup...

So you would rather bring up someone from Hartford? And then what, theyll sit the entire time too and kill their development? Christensen provides PERFECT depth. PERFECT. He's a vet whos skilled, he can win a game for you in the shootout, he can play on every line, can score, can pass, can play the PP...

What more do you want? The reason he isnt playing is because he is the perfect depth forward. Thats the whole point!!!
Yup, completely agreed. And I think it's the big point that was so missed by the Avery camp in the debates going into the season. We were talking about the perfect thirteenth forward - i.e. a guy you expect to sit in the press box when all is going well.

Sure, I wouldn't mind packaging him in a deal for an upgrade as you said, but it's not like there's any crying need to get him off the team. I don't understand the "dump EC now, I never want to see him again comments." I don't want to see him, simply because if I do, it indicates that someone more valuable is hurt. Having said that, if someone more valuable IS hurt, then he's a good guy to have around.

Now, in the future, I'm hoping that perhaps a player like Feds can be an upgrade on that 13th forward position while younger and more talented players come up through the system. On the team as currently constituted, however, EC is just fine for his role.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 12-03-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old
12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
NYR Viper

Chris Neil has 7 points in 16 games. The guy has some offense and, just like Prust and Boyle in last years playoffs, he plays a style of game that creates chances in the playoffs and is a serious pain to play against in a 7 game series.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Christensen's value is larger with the team, then without imo.

I think a lot of fans fail to realize that depth is more important then trading a player away. For what? What are you going to get for him? If its a perfect package deal to get someone who can legitimately upgrade the team, then fine (but you're probably including a top prospect in there as well and Christ is just filler).

Injuries happen, slumps happen. Christensen has value on this team even though some fans refuse to admit it. He's got skil land while hes not on the playing roster right now, if one or two centers go down, you better expect him to be in the lineup...

So you would rather bring up someone from Hartford? And then what, theyll sit the entire time too and kill their development? Christensen provides PERFECT depth. PERFECT. He's a vet whos skilled, he can win a game for you in the shootout, he can play on every line, can score, can pass, can play the PP...

What more do you want? The reason he isnt playing is because he is the perfect depth forward. Thats the whole point!!!
Although I do concur with some of your points - especially cap space wise - but I feel that the better player should always be on the squad if manageable capwise. Mitchell (and Hagelin) have both shown considerably more than Christensen has.
I presume Hagelin will be fighting with Wolski/MZA/Avery over 2 future top 9 spots come March (consider AA, Stepan, Richards, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Cally as the 7 sure shots) but that Christensen is then fighting with Mitchell over the 13th(14th?) spot on the team then.
So far he (Mitchell) has shown much more value to the team imo. But in this crazy world (remember keeping White on the roster last year - costing us $527k this year in cap space?) - who really knows? I do agree that if we get nothing in return - then a trade/waiverflier is totally meaningless. He does have some value to the team but as of now Mitchell has kind of surpassed his value imo... Maybe need some more time before this is totally clear tho

Old
12-03-2011, 10:28 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Mitchell can be sent down and EC cant
What are you basing that on? 1-way and 2-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver status. Either player can be sent down and either player would require waivers.

Old
12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I think a hot streak is the perfect time to make a blockbuster trade, because the worth of every asset you have -- including your bottom pairings and 4th liners -- increases simply because losing teams want players from winning teams.

I think Sather should make a blockbuster Ryan right now, since his value is probably at its lowest (could get lower) and the value of our prospects is sky high right now since everybody sees the Rangers are a top team with mostly home grown guys.

Anaheim needs d-men and secondary depth scoring:

Ryan for Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st and 2nd, even though Anaheim would easily want Macdonagh to highlight the deal.

That way, the Rangers can add Ryan with a d-corps of Staal, Girardi, Macdonagh, Del Zotto, Sauer and McIlrath still in place.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:12 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
What are you basing that on? 1-way and 2-way contracts have nothing to do with waiver status. Either player can be sent down and either player would require waivers.
It's an EA video game myth that gets confused a lot around here.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:13 PM
hagsfan924

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I think a hot streak is the perfect time to make a blockbuster trade, because the worth of every asset you have -- including your bottom pairings and 4th liners -- increases simply because losing teams want players from winning teams.

I think Sather should make a blockbuster Ryan right now, since his value is probably at its lowest (could get lower) and the value of our prospects is sky high right now since everybody sees the Rangers are a top team with mostly home grown guys.

Ryan for Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st and 2nd, even though Anaheim would easily want Macdonagh to highlight the deal.

That way, the Rangers can add Ryan with a d-corps of Staal, Girardi, Macdonagh, Del Zotto, Sauer and McIlrath still in place.
Dude you contradict yourself in this post...You talk about making a trade during a winning streak because our players are at their highest values then you choose two players to deal that might be at their lowest value. Dubinsky is having his worst season so far and definitely not as valuable as he was say this point last season. And Erixon is playing in CT so he doesn't fit into that whole idea of being on a hot team.
If you are talking about guys at higher values than maybe Del Zotto, Hagelin, Anisimov (borderline), Stepan etc fit into that idea...just saying

And Mcdonaugh is untouchable...i could only see him going if we made a deal for one of Nashvilles top two dmen

Old
12-03-2011, 12:29 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:

If that was all it would have taken it would have been done already. They fired their coach. That tells you all you need to know.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:41 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

I don't think the Ducks will even bother asking for McDonagh because they know he'll never be traded. At least not for a struggling Ryan

McDonagh has the potential to be a top 10 d-man in the league with his skill package

Old
12-03-2011, 01:00 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
If that was all it would have taken it would have been done already. They fired their coach. That tells you all you need to know.
it tells me that a coaching change was in works as well as entertaining offers for Ryan. Signing BB was just opportunistic.

A deal of Dubinsky, Erixon, a 1st and 2nd is a "good" offer. Ducks want an overpayment for Ryan and won't accept less until they are forced to. I think the coaching change just buys them time.
They lost in the SO yesterday. If they keep losing in regulation I think they'll start seriously entertaining offers for Ryan again.

For all we know they might not have stopped. they just shut the media down.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:09 PM
CH2

Any interest in Tomas Kaberle?

Zuccarello + Wolski for Kaberle

Unless we don't want that $4 mil hit for another two years after this one.

McD-Girardi
DZ-Sauer
Kaberle-Eminger

When Staalsy comes back:

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
DZ-Kaberle

Cap-wise does this work?

Old
12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

No.

I was a big proponent for Kaberle but he's finished. He was on a steady, slighter decline until last year, where he just dropped off hard.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Any interest in Tomas Kaberle?

Zuccarello + Wolski for Kaberle

Unless we don't want that $4 mil hit for another two years after this one.

McD-Girardi
DZ-Sauer
Kaberle-Eminger

When Staalsy comes back:

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
DZ-Kaberle

Cap-wise does this work?

I don't want that deal. Much rather get a Tim Gleason type dman or Joni Pitkanen

Old
12-03-2011, 01:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I would want a dman whose contract expired at years end. Absolute no to Kaberle.

12-03-2011, 01:17 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
it tells me that a coaching change was in works as well as entertaining offers for Ryan. Signing BB was just opportunistic.

A deal of Dubinsky, Erixon, a 1st and 2nd is a "good" offer. Ducks want an overpayment for Ryan and won't accept less until they are forced to. I think the coaching change just buys them time.
They lost in the SO yesterday. If they keep losing in regulation I think they'll start seriously entertaining offers for Ryan again.

For all we know they might not have stopped. they just shut the media down.
What is says is that there were two options, a shakeup or a coaching change. They didn't like the offers they got for Ryan (Hence Brooks' and Dregers' tweets) so they changed coaches. Ducks had asked for permission to talk to BB on monday.

I'm putting it out of my mind for now. Really got my own hopes up on wednesday night . If it happens it will happen, but the Brooks quoted price of 2 nhlers, and pick and prospect just isn't feasible for us midseason, especially not a month or so from now. I think if anything it would happen at the draft, but then I'm not sure we could give the best offer. oh well.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:29 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I would want a dman whose contract expired at years end. Absolute no to Kaberle.
Sarich would fit the bill, but he's expensive at 3.6 million. He did ask for a trade from Calgary, so the possibility isn't completely farfetched. Maybe flip Wolski for him? Both contracts end after this season, Wolski an RFA, Sarich a UFA

Old
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Sarich would fit the bill, but he's expensive at 3.6 million. He did ask for a trade from Calgary, so the possibility isn't completely farfetched. Maybe flip Wolski for him? Both contracts end after this season, Wolski an RFA, Sarich a UFA
Sarich shores up the defense for series against strong playoff teams. Wolski provides the possibility of another offensive option and injury depth. End of day it is sort of up to the individual which he would take.

I'd take Sarich, because I don't think you can run a weak pairing of defense against top teams in the playoffs. I think Avery, Hagelin will both be staying so LW depth is not a major issue.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:31 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
What is says is that there were two options, a shakeup or a coaching change. They didn't like the offers they got for Ryan (Hence Brooks' and Dregers' tweets) so they changed coaches. Ducks had asked for permission to talk to BB on monday.

I'm putting it out of my mind for now. Really got my own hopes up on wednesday night . If it happens it will happen, but the Brooks quoted price of 2 nhlers, and pick and prospect just isn't feasible for us midseason, especially not a month or so from now. I think if anything it would happen at the draft, but then I'm not sure we could give the best offer. oh well.
I wouldn't say it isn't feasible...it really depends on who those 2 nhlers and the prospect are. Regardless, Anaheim needs to win about 35 of their remaining 57 games (plus about 5 OT losses) to sniff the playoffs. Certainly it can be done, but they'll need to start putting some wins together fast. If they keep losing more times than not over the next few weeks they'll likely be in look to next year mode by the new year. Anything is possible at that point.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
PrincetonRanger

dubi and a 2nd for Iginla?

Old
12-03-2011, 01:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincetonRanger View Post
dubi and a 2nd for Iginla?
I would have loved to deal for Jerome 5 or even 3 years ago...but I'm scared to trade real assets for a guy who turns 35 on July 1. I'm sure he's still got a couple more solid years in the tank...but you gotta figure he's finally slowing down. Granted he had a monster year last season...but right now he's only on pace for ~25 goals. Don't remember if he's one of those slow starters though. Oh, and he costs 7M next year. I'd rather spend that on Parise.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:56 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I wouldn't say it isn't feasible...it really depends on who those 2 nhlers and the prospect are. Regardless, Anaheim needs to win about 35 of their remaining 57 games (plus about 5 OT losses) to sniff the playoffs. Certainly it can be done, but they'll need to start putting some wins together fast. If they keep losing more times than not over the next few weeks they'll likely be in look to next year mode by the new year. Anything is possible at that point.
Let's just put it this way, the 2 NHLers aren't going to be Wolski and Christensen. And I'll give you one guess as to who the prospect is.

Old
12-03-2011, 02:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Let's just put it this way, the 2 NHLers aren't going to be Wolski and Christensen. And I'll give you one guess as to who the prospect is.
I agree. But there are options between that and Dubi/Artie, no? And I don't want to part with Kreider either...but basically we'd be pretty psyched if Chris turned into Ryan so I don't see how he's untouchable. But no, Dubi/Artie/Kreider/1st would be a bit hard to stomach, even for Bobby Ryan.

Old
12-03-2011, 02:10 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

One Anaheim player who could fill a need in New York is Kurtis Foster. Big bomb from the point. 6-7th defenseman but could be an asset on power play.

Interesting sidebar -- I was in Seattle on Thursday for the Eagles game and flew home yesterday with a number of Flyer fans coming to Phoenix for game tonight. When we got here, one fan was met by a sobbing young girl dressed in orange from head to toe. She had just learned that Bobby Ryan was not going to be traded and was not going to be going back to the Flyers. She was devastated. It was hilarious.

Old
12-03-2011, 02:50 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree. But there are options between that and Dubi/Artie, no? And I don't want to part with Kreider either...but basically we'd be pretty psyched if Chris turned into Ryan so I don't see how he's untouchable. But no, Dubi/Artie/Kreider/1st would be a bit hard to stomach, even for Bobby Ryan.
Midseason I don't see anybody letting up a package that big for one player. It's just too much right now. Unless Sather can work his magic or Anaheim will accept a more future-heavy package if they are decidedly out of it.

Old
12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubifan924 View Post
Dude you contradict yourself in this post...You talk about making a trade during a winning streak because our players are at their highest values then you choose two players to deal that might be at their lowest value. Dubinsky is having his worst season so far and definitely not as valuable as he was say this point last season. And Erixon is playing in CT so he doesn't fit into that whole idea of being on a hot team.
If you are talking about guys at higher values than maybe Del Zotto, Hagelin, Anisimov (borderline), Stepan etc fit into that idea...just saying

And Mcdonaugh is untouchable...i could only see him going if we made a deal for one of Nashvilles top two dmen
Learn how to read. Seriously.

First of all, Ryan's value isnt as high as it was before as well.

The Ducks are one of the worst defensive teams in hockey. Dubinsky is infinitely better defensively than Ryan ever was, and he can play the wing or center.

Dubinsky has a higher PPG than Ryan this season. He can instantly play left wing with Perry and Getzlaf, and be on the top PP and PK unit.

Second, if you knew how to read, you'd see that i said that even our prospects' value increases with the NHL team winning, simply because the Rangers have had a reputation of drafting and developing good players.

For example, a GM might think...."The Rangers are one of the best defensive teams in the league, and have drafted or developed five really good defensemen as of right now, so they probably will do the same with McIlrath and Erixon"..

Closed Thread