HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All purpose Brayden Schenn thread

Old
12-03-2011, 02:22 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

vCash: 500
All purpose Brayden Schenn thread

I see we didn't have one for him so I might as well make one. He looked pretty good last night in his first game back from his injury last night. He still gets pushed off the puck kind of easily though.

Comments on last night?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He was solid, playing out of position and looked good defensively.

This kids going to be a star in this league

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He was solid, playing out of position and looked good defensively.

This kids going to be a star in this league
I still can't get a handle on what kind of player he is. I remember the Richards comparisons on draft day, but that didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now. Schenn seems to have more offensive skill and considerably less defensive capability / grit. I'm not saying that's a bad thing by any stretch, but it does seem to render the comparison problematic.

For those of you who have seen more of him than me (which is basically last year's WJC and his limited action in the preseason / season with the Flyers), which current NHL player would you say his style of play resembles most closely?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Kaktus*

He had some very good shifts yesterday.
He needs to start shooting the puck more and crash the net like he did yesterday.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I still can't get a handle on what kind of player he is. I remember the Richards comparisons on draft day, but that didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now. Schenn seems to have more offensive skill and considerably less defensive capability / grit. I'm not saying that's a bad thing by any stretch, but it does seem to render the comparison problematic.

For those of you who have seen more of him than me (which is basically last year's WJC and his limited action in the preseason / season with the Flyers), which current NHL player would you say his style of play resembles most closely?
His body type and mannerisms are very Richie like, but I think that's where the comparisons end. He plays more like Toews, minus the Christ like defensive ability.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
JonnyGaloshes

I can't get a read on him at all. He was more noticeable last night than in his previous games, but he still lacks personality or "swag"... or something I just can't really define.

He looked comfortable carrying the puck, but his rushes seemed to go nowhere once he gained the blue line.

I think once he puts a couple in the net his confidence will soar and we'll see what he's really capable of.

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes View Post
I can't get a read on him at all. He was more noticeable last night than in his previous games, but he still lacks personality or "swag"... or something I just can't really define.

He looked comfortable carrying the puck, but his rushes seemed to go nowhere once he gained the blue line.

I think once he puts a couple in the net his confidence will soar and we'll see what he's really capable of.
Zazz? Chutzpah? Moxie? Kapowzah?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Zazz? Chutzpah? Moxie? Kapowzah?
Intangibles.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:39 PM
dookie88

One thing I noticed last night was, especially because he was labelled to be not a good skater, that he was pretty fast, especially entering the zone.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:54 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
One thing I noticed last night was, especially because he was labelled to be not a good skater, that he was pretty fast, especially entering the zone.
??? Never heard Schenn labeled a poor skater.

Couturier's the one whose skating and acceleration need to improve to reach his full potential.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:03 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
??? Never heard Schenn labeled a poor skater.

Couturier's the one whose skating and acceleration need to improve to reach his full potential.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELN0U4mJJOM&t=0m58s

It was something most scouts used to point out, and he even mentions he needs to improve his speed here. However, from last night it looks like he's doing quite fine.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:17 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELN0U4mJJOM&t=0m58s

It was something most scouts used to point out, and he even mentions he needs to improve his speed here. However, from last night it looks like he's doing quite fine.
Yeah, I'll be honest, I only really started following him since we acquired him and he looked fast @ the WJC and he was fast in the preseason and fast in the Phantoms games I've seen, so I never really thought twice about it...

I mean you can pretty clearly see Couturier still needs to work on the speed/acceleration, but Schenn looks pretty darn fast.

Old
12-03-2011, 05:35 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
I knew he didn't shy away from contact and threw his weight around a bit, but he threw some biiiiiig hits last night, and for that alone I was pleasantly surprised. Other than that, I thought he had a very solid game.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Krishna

Does schenn have some nerve damage in his lip? The one side is always higher than the other.. One side shows teet while the other doesn't

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:45 PM
daynus

he can hit

and does and will do so. its just something thats taught in saskatchewan. all the way from bantam, and up. playing in the dub, is a pretty tough league. don't worry #17, will improve his skating. happy with both these young guys.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:56 PM
rafman522

This kid looked great this road trip, im excited to see where he goes. His offensive ability is impressive and his hits are a thing of glory, it could be fun putting him and rinaldo together just to see what happens. I want to see him on the PP not on Point though. Who were his linemates?

rafman522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafman522 View Post
This kid looked great this road trip, im excited to see where he goes. His offensive ability is impressive and his hits are a thing of glory, it could be fun putting him and rinaldo together just to see what happens. I want to see him on the PP not on Point though. Who were his linemates?
I believe his linemates were Talbot and Simmonds and they were actually very good at creating chances last night. I just think one thing Schenn needs to work on is the fact that he's not able to skate around players like he probably did when he was younger. A couple times last night he tried to weave through the whole team and he just turned the puck over.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Maybe define it as a guy who has only played 15 games in the nhl?

I remember going to a game JVR's rookie year with a friend, and my friend saying pretty much the same thing about him. You gotta let guys develop at their own pace.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Krishna

Quote:

So far he looks like he lacks scoring potential.. But that is of course because he is playing with Talbot and Simmonds

Old
12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
JonnyGaloshes

He showed much more chutzpah last night

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:12 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
So far he looks like he lacks scoring potential.. But that is of course because he is playing with Talbot and Simmonds
I suppose Couturier lacks scoring potential too?

Come on. When you're playing without talented linemates, it's kind of difficult to score as a rookie.

Old
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
phlocky

Personally, I think he'll end up being most like Keith Primeau. He'll get better defensively, he'll hit, and he has the body to play a physical game like Keith did. Like Keith, I think Schenn will have more offensive abilitiy than we'll see on a nightly basis because he's asked to take on a more defnsive role for the betterment of the team much like what happened to Primeau and Richards. I think that the Richards comparisons would have been accurate IF Mike had the size that Schenn posesses (Richards actually is a bit too small to play the physical game he WANTS to play as was evident by him constantly playing with injuries here in Philly, his body just couldn't sustain the physical beating he was putting it through and hence why we saw a drop off in his hitting his last year or 2 here).

Schenn has DEFINITELY shown that he has skill in the games he's played for us. He's still young and has a lot to learn and to grow into but in the end, he'll be a real gem for us and there is a good chance he ends up a better player than Mike Richards. He's not there yet and he certainly has a LONG way to go but he definitely has the skill and potential to do so.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:26 PM
cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
I think it's Talbot, and Voracek. That'd be a pretty nice 3rd line when JVR gets back, and Talbot's on the 4th. JVR will probably go to the top 6 though.

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Read
JVR - Schenn - Voracek
Talbot - Couturier - Z/Rinaldo

I like these lines. JVR probably takes Simmonds spot though. That's like two second lines I like it. Schenn, and Voracek seemed good together.

cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:49 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I think it's Talbot, and Voracek. That'd be a pretty nice 3rd line when JVR gets back, and Talbot's on the 4th. JVR will probably go to the top 6 though.

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Briere - Read
JVR - Schenn - Voracek
Talbot - Couturier - Z/Rinaldo

I like these lines. JVR probably takes Simmonds spot though. That's like two second lines I like it. Schenn, and Voracek seemed good together.
Kessler?

I would like to see him with Simmonds and Read.

That would be a nice energy line. I think Simmonds would benefit from playing with a centerman that has a more N-S style. Simmonds seems to try to do too much.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Kessler?

I would like to see him with Simmonds and Read.

That would be a nice energy line. I think Simmonds would benefit from playing with a centerman that has a more N-S style. Simmonds seems to try to do too much.
Kesler?

A lot of our problems would be solved if we waived Shelley.