HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Future HHoF Members with Flyers Ties

View Poll Results: Who Do You Think Will One Day Be Elected To The HHoF
Fred Shero 19 39.58%
Tim Kerr 2 4.17%
Eric Lindros 28 58.33%
Rod Brind'Amour 18 37.50%
Mark Recchi 30 62.50%
Eric Desjardins 3 6.25%
Other - Please List 3 6.25%
All of the Above 2 4.17%
None of the Above 1 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Future HHoF Members with Flyers Ties

Now that Mark Howe has finally been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame, after years of eligibility passed him by, I thought it might be interesting to discuss who might be the next player who played key years with the Flyers to be inducted... Some of these players such as Brind'Amore, Recchi, LeClair and Desjardines won Cups with other Organizations, and some may have spent major periods outside the Flyers... but all IMO have had major impacts while wearing O&B and were near and dear to our hearts. Some may be slam dunks, some extreme long shots and some lightening rods of debate... Feel free to select none or all of them if you feel that is the case.

EDIT: BTW I have limited to retired players only... If you'd like to selected current players and players who have played only a portion of their careers (such as Pronger and Jagr, etc.) or young players who you believe are can't miss (Hello, Mr. Giroux) please feel free to select 'Other' and post their names.

EDIT2: John LeClair was inadvertently left off the poll... If anybody knows how to add him on please let me know and I will do it)

Fred Shero
Coached Expansion team to two Cups and was a forerunner in many now coaching staples.

Tim Kerr
Was an elite NHL power forward and multi fifty goal scorer before injuries cut his career short.

Eric Lindros
Was a Hart Trophy winner and was a dominant player in the NHL when healthy, having one of the highest PPG average in NHL History... also had career cut short.

Rod Brind'Amour
Was beloved in Philly before becoming captain of the Cup winning Canes... has very good career numbers.

John LeClair (Inadvertently omitted from poll)
Won Cup in early season with Habs and like Kerr was a dominant power forward in the NHL with multi fifty goal seasons

Mark Recchi
Spent more years with Flyers than any other team but won his three Cups elsewhere (Pens, Canes & Bruins)... has excellent stats in NHL History and ranks up with the all time League elites in many categories as he played and played very well into his mid-forties.

Eric Desjardins
Also won Cup in early season with the Habs and was the leader on the Flyers blue-line for the better part of a decade while being selected to multiple All Star Games.

Other
Please list.

All of the above

None of the above

Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-03-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think Rod the Bod and Recchi are the only sure things. Lindros maybe. LeClair maybe. Shero and Kerr if they aren't in yet I would be surprised if they got in (not impossible, but I think they are long shots).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think Rod the Bod and Recchi are the only sure things. Lindros maybe. LeClair maybe. Shero and Kerr if they aren't in yet I would be surprised if they got in (not impossible, but I think they are long shots).
I would agree if not for Howe's selection... that would IMO mean that Kerr could also, but I also believe he is a very slim long shot.

With Shero I thing he will eventually gain enough support and be voted in... but some influential people will have to champion his cause and call attention to all the firsts and trailblazing he did.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I would agree if not for Howe's selection... that would IMO mean that Kerr could also, but I also believe he is a very slim long shot.

With Shero I thing he will eventually gain enough support and be voted in... but some influential people will have to champion his cause and call attention to all the firsts and trailblazing he did.
Yeah it's definitely possible, but Howe I think was more deserving than both of them. Mark Howe not being in a lot of people, if not the majority, pretty much agreed that it was not fair. You don't hear people talking about Tim Kerr in the HOF 20 years later. He had four or five really good seasons, but that's about it. Not a knock on Kerr, I just think he's got a very slim shot.

Old
12-03-2011, 01:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I always point to Shero is proof as to why Pat Burns didn't get in. If there is any credibility amongst the voters, Burns can not be in before Shero.

Kerr, Desjardins, and LeClair are out.

Lindros will be in eventually.

Brind'Amour will be in eventually.

Recchi is the closest thing to a lock. He'll get in too.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Yeah it's definitely possible, but Howe I think was more deserving than both of them. Mark Howe not being in a lot of people, if not the majority, pretty much agreed that it was not fair. You don't hear people talking about Tim Kerr in the HOF 20 years later. He had four or five really good seasons, but that's about it. Not a knock on Kerr, I just think he's got a very slim shot.
With Kerr I agree 100%... I was just throwing that out there fro discussion sake, and to be fair... and to point out that it's really no too late. I loved Kerr and honestly believe that had he had a better back he may have coasted into the Hall over the course of time. Tim was a beast, but ultimately what he did may have did him in.

With Shero I honestly believe his omission is a crime worse than Howe's... He was the first NHL coach to hire an assistant... he understood that learning the Russians' game improved his team and his coaching... he understood the importance of film in education and scouting... he refined the role playing in teams -- dancers have o dance, singers have to sing -- ... He used psychology in his coaching and teaching... he knew how to display faith in such role players as Schultz and Kelly and played them in key times where other coaches would shorten the bench, and they rewarded him... He was a master of adjusting he game to the enemy such as in the Soviet Red Army... he was great at seeing hidden talents and incorporating certain players into his team... he had a strict 'System' and made sure his players bought into it YET he was not afraid to look the other way with a player like Kelly who he let loose at the right time to change the tempo of the game and was not afraid to replace Leach with Schulz to protect Clarke, while still keeping the offense on tract... Yada, Yada, Yada.

Old
12-03-2011, 02:06 PM
BrindamoursNose

Just did Brind'amour and Recchi. Lindros is the only other serious shot.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:21 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Just did Brind'amour and Recchi. Lindros is the only other serious shot.
If Lindros don't get in the HOF........He will be the best player NOT to get into the hall in my opinion.He was absolutely a beast when he was not concussed.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:27 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
If Lindros don't get in the HOF........He will be the best player NOT to get into the hall in my opinion.He was absolutely a beast when he was not concussed.
Based on talent, he absolutely should be in. The problem is games played (like with Forsberg)

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Bill_Meltzer

With Shero, his annual omission is strictly political. There is a contingent that is vehement in that it will never vote him in. The composition of the voting committee will have to change first.

The opposition to Shero's selection "in principle" is stronger than it was for omitting Mark Howe because of his joining the WHA as an underage player and spurning the NHL draft (and never joining the Bruins, who held his rights) in the 1970s.

The one comfort I take from Shero not being inducted is that, if he had been inducted in his lifetime, he would have accepted it reluctantly and not taken much joy away from it.

Being extremely introverted, he would have hated to make any sort of public speech and attend a big gathering (even one consisting mainly of hockey people). He didn't like crowds or basking in attention, and he may have been the only person associated with the Flyers who disliked -- or, more accurately, got more anxiety than joy from -- the two massive Stanley Cup celebrations in the city.

Secondly, Shero truly did not care one bit what the rest of the hockey establishment thought about him, his philosophies or his teams. He cared about his teams gelling on and off the ice, and encouraged an "us vs. them" mentality when it came to the league office and team ownership.

Upon learning of his induction, he probably would have said -- and honestly believed -- that when someone who used to be called a kook is suddenly hailed by everyone else as an innovator, it means that his ideas are no longer very innovative.

As for Kerr, he has right about the same HHOF qualifications as Cam Neely -- a block of huge scoring seasons, career marred and ended early by injuries, handled personal obstacles with class and dignity, never won a Cup -- minus the heavy publicity that helped get Neely in. I don't think Kerr will ever go in, but there is precedent for it.

With Lindros, combine the fact that he (and/or his family) was so controversial from his junior hockey days onward with his injury shortened career and the push to keep him out will be much stronger than the bloc of support for years and years to come.

LeClair is in the US Hockey HOF -- deservedly so -- and in some ways has better credentials than Kerr because of greater longevity and his scoring heroics in the 1993 Cup Finals as a member of the Canadiens. But his career totals (due to his back problems in his 30s) probably leave him short of getting into the "big" Hall by about 2-3 additional 30-goal seasons.

Recchi is a lock to get in within his first year or two of eligibility.

Brind'Amour may have to wait awhile but his longevity and reputation as a two-way player and team leader will probably eventually get him inducted.

Desjardins, while an All-Star caliber defenseman for many years (probably a top 8-10 in the NHL for a block of years from the mid-to-late 1990s to early 2000s), has little shot. He's a lock for the Flyers' team HOF.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:49 PM
JVR21
G

Lindros, Pronger, Jagr.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
With Shero, his annual omission is strictly political. There is a contingent that is vehement in that it will never vote him in. The composition of the voting committee will have to change first.

The opposition to Shero's selection "in principle" is stronger than it was for omitting Mark Howe because of his joining the WHA as an underage player and spurning the NHL draft (and never joining the Bruins, who held his rights) in the 1970s.

The one comfort I take from Shero not being inducted is that, if he had been inducted in his lifetime, he would have accepted it reluctantly and not taken much joy away from it.

Being extremely introverted, he would have hated to make any sort of public speech and attend a big gathering (even one consisting mainly of hockey people). He didn't like crowds or basking in attention, and he may have been the only person associated with the Flyers who disliked -- or, more accurately, got more anxiety than joy from -- the two massive Stanley Cup celebrations in the city.

Secondly, Shero truly did not care one bit what the rest of the hockey establishment thought about him, his philosophies or his teams. He cared about his teams gelling on and off the ice, and encouraged an "us vs. them" mentality when it came to the league office and team ownership.

Upon learning of his induction, he probably would have said -- and honestly believed -- that when someone who used to be called a kook is suddenly hailed by everyone else as an innovator, it means that his ideas are no longer very innovative.

As for Kerr, he has right about the same HHOF qualifications as Cam Neely -- a block of huge scoring seasons, career marred and ended early by injuries, handled personal obstacles with class and dignity, never won a Cup -- minus the heavy publicity that helped get Neely in. I don't think Kerr will ever go in, but there is precedent for it.

With Lindros, combine the fact that he (and/or his family) was so controversial from his junior hockey days onward with his injury shortened career and the push to keep him out will be much stronger than the bloc of support for years and years to come.

LeClair is in the US Hockey HOF -- deservedly so -- and in some ways has better credentials than Kerr because of greater longevity and his scoring heroics in the 1993 Cup Finals as a member of the Canadiens. But his career totals (due to his back problems in his 30s) probably leave him short of getting into the "big" Hall by about 2-3 additional 30-goal seasons.

Recchi is a lock to get in within his first year or two of eligibility.

Brind'Amour may have to wait awhile but his longevity and reputation as a two-way player and team leader will probably eventually get him inducted.

Desjardins, while an All-Star caliber defenseman for many years (probably a top 8-10 in the NHL for a block of years from the mid-to-late 1990s to early 2000s), has little shot. He's a lock for the Flyers' team HOF.
Bill, I believe I can speak for all of us here in thanking you for your input and insight on this... very well thought out and stated... This question was right in your wheelhouse.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:06 PM
BobbyC16

Forsberg
Jagr
Recchi

Would have swore that Shero was in the HOF already.

BobbyC16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:09 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Surprised more people aren't voting for Recchi. You guys know he is #12 all time in points, right?

Old
12-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Surprised more people aren't voting for Recchi. You guys know he is #12 all time in points, right?
Up there in games played too, IIRC... Actually I believe only one person or so did not vote for him. With multiple selections available to everybody, there really is not that many people voting... but a lot of total votes across the board.

EDIT: It says 16 people voted but I don't believe that can be possible... I think the multiple selecting is somehow distorting the tally.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-03-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old
12-03-2011, 09:52 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
People look at it like "Oh, he played for so long that he got there." That is the worst argument in the world. People who play a lot of seasons deserve some credit, they are still playing at the highest level of the sport and by no means are just coasting along accumulating points.

Old
12-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
People look at it like "Oh, he played for so long that he got there." That is the worst argument in the world. People who play a lot of seasons deserve some credit, they are still playing at the highest level of the sport and by no means are just coasting along accumulating points.
He is fourth all time in games played and has 1533 points in 1652 Regular season games... He is 19th all time in Goals and 14th all time in Assists along with 12th in Points. He is also 15th in PP Goals. Along with three Stanley Cups that is not too shabby... no matter how many years he played in with his less than chiseled, stocky torso.

Old
12-04-2011, 01:31 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
He is fourth all time in games played and has 1533 points in 1652 Regular season games... He is 19th all time in Goals and 14th all time in Assists along with 12th in Points. He is also 15th in PP Goals. Along with three Stanley Cups that is not too shabby... no matter how many years he played in with his less than chiseled, stocky torso.
No I agree with you, I'm not discrediting him at all. I'm saying arguments I've heard against other guys.

JDinklage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:27 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
It's easy to score that much when you hang along for that long.

And uh, it's easy to hang along for that long if you keep scoring.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
You have to be good enough to hang around that long, too.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Exactly. And this isn't a case where a player played for 20 years and just has a lot of points. He has more than almost every player ever.

Old
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's what I was trying to get across in what I said. I suck with words, I guess.

JDinklage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
CTU2fan

Recchi is a lock.

And you know what? Ron Hextall is a HHoFer in my book. It's the hall of FAME...of the goalies of his era the most memorable are probably Roy first, then Hexy. The guy was larger than life...and he revolutionized the position in terms of handling the puck.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
No I agree with you, I'm not discrediting him at all. I'm saying arguments I've heard against other guys.
I know... I was just backing you up with some interesting facts I gathered to show just how Recchi stacks up among the NHL elite in history.

... BTW; when you go over Jagr's stats you find some amazing ones... I left off #68 because a) he is sill playing and no HHoF eligible, and b) his accomplishments will have been greatly done with other clubs, most notably the Pens. I left off other players such as Forsberg, Roenick, etc. also because of their brief stints here opposed to their other stops.

Old
12-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Recchi is a lock.

And you know what? Ron Hextall is a HHoFer in my book. It's the hall of FAME...of the goalies of his era the most memorable are probably Roy first, then Hexy. The guy was larger than life...and he revolutionized the position in terms of handling the puck.
DAMN!!!... How could I have forgotten about one of my all time favorites? I guess I just wasn't thinking goalies... I certainly would have included him for the way he was innovative and a forerunner of all the great stick handling, puck control goalies that came after... That said, I would bet he never gets a whiff of the Hall without buying a ticket, and to me that is a real shame.