HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais...

Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Let's not forget Desharnais was directly responsible for Patches offensive explosion in Hamilton last yr that led to Patches being called up. He gave Patches the confidence he needed to compete in the NHL. Ever since then Patches has been a true power forward. At the time, Patches said Desharnais was the best centreman he's ever played with.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:30 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Later this season we may have to make a few choices:

Desharnais vs Gomez

Diaz vs Weber

White vs Darche

I think my preferences (the first in each pair) are the exact opposite what JM would do

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

If teams could dress 25 players per game and ice 5 lines, there would always be a spot for Desharnais.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Don't get me started on the keep Desharnais thing again,I remember Gainey going after him and signing him when he was playing for Cincinnati in his early time there.He has played hard to get his chance and rightly deserves every minute of icetime he gets.With all the so-called experts feeling sorry for him wasting his time,sickening to still hear fans debating and debasing this player,lay off unless you can accomplish what this young man has!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:33 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

Desharnais vs Gomez

Diaz vs Weber

White vs Darche

I think my preferences (the first in each pair) are the exact opposite what JM would do
My picks are the same. And I think Weber has a good value on the market that we should use to get a good pick.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:38 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Desharnais vs Gomez

Diaz vs Weber

White vs Darche
DD vs Gomez- there's no choice to make here, DD has been one of our top forwards all season.

Diaz vs Weber- tough one but Diaz can go to the AHL without waivers so Weber likely gets the nod unless a trade is made when Markov, Spacek and Campoli are all back and 100%.

White vs Stan Darche- We'll have to see how it goes for White when he gets back into the lineup. In the case of Darche, at least he can't get much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
If teams could dress 25 players per game and ice 5 lines, there would always be a spot for Desharnais.
Well teams can have 18 and 4 lines so there will be a spot for DD as long as he keeps producing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Don't get me started on the keep Desharnais thing again,I remember Gainey going after him and signing him when he was playing for Cincinnati in his early time there.He has played hard to get his chance and rightly deserves every minute of icetime he gets.With all the so-called experts feeling sorry for him wasting his time,sickening to still hear fans debating and debasing this player,lay off unless you can accomplish what this young man has!
Gainey was the GM of Hamilton as well, so he signed him before he went to Cincy.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 12:58 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Not everyone! After Desharnais's 1st full season in the AHL I learned not to discount his abilities.
I have his jersey from the Habs, it still says 58! I was mad when he changed to 51 but now mines old school

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
PricePkPatch

I wanna see DD and LL play together.

I am sure they'd have chemistry

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
The big thing for DD was he was matched up against Thornton on the road & out played him. He's on pace for around 50 pts, which is decent for a player entering his first full year. Let's hope he continues to improve. He could turn into a Briere type of player. He needs to continue to work on his shot tho.
I made a DD/Brière comparison last year and people ripped me off. Thinking about it now, I says his skillset is more similar to Koivu's.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Picaroon

Quote:

Desharnais vs Gomez

Diaz vs Weber

White vs Darche

First two are obvious dilemmas, but the third is no contest, and I don't mind either player. White should have a roster spot locked down. He is basically the only real "energy" guy on the team, and he is excellent at that role. Darche is a plug.
As for the first two, DD and Diaz win. But I get the feeling i will be wrong about all three when the decision comes....

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:16 PM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Really? I don't get the hate for DD on this board. Unlike Gomez, he makes his wingers more productive. Very creative, gritty for his size, great chemistry with MaxPac and Cole, entertaining to watch, not afraid to go to the net, what's not to like? As a bonus, he's a local guy.

We finally have some secondary scoring with a good 3rd line. It's not like he's our 1st line center. As a 3rd or 2B, can't ask for more. Poor man's version of Briere or St-Louis maybe, but very productive considering his TOI. We need more players to bring that kind of energy every night.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Desharnais makes up for his lack of size with pure hockey intelligence. It's taken him about a yr adapt to every single league he's played in. Just look at his point totals throughout his hockey career. He quickly learns how to be successful every time he makes it to a more competitive league. His point totals will continue to increase every yr as he adapts to the NHL. His stock will rise quite high within 2-3 yrs, trust me.
I understand that some of his deficiencies won't vanish even with experience-he'll always be small and prone to being "rag dolled" upon occassion. However, his NHL career is only 75 games old and he'll definitely improve in a few areas. The most important is defensively. He's generally being beaten by a quarter step or so on plays where the opposition center beats him to the puck. In most cases, he's in good position, but his anticipation isn't quite up to par yet. Experience is the only teacher in this matter. I expect the number of goals where DD's beaten by just a smidge like Clowe's last minute score last night to become far fewer over time.

I also can't help but believe that he will become a much more effective PP producer once Plekanek is relieved of point duties. Not to rag on TP, but he's just not suited for the role and the entire unit suffers as a result.

DD would be quite the unusual player (even at the age of 25) to experience peak offensive performance with his limited NHL experience. He's at .6 PPG so far this season with less than a full year's NHL experience and I think that it would be hard to make the case that he won't be able to improve that number to roughly .75 PPG (60 points per season). At the improved level, he's got himself a long term NHL spot; whether that be in Montreal or elsewhere. 60 point players don't grow on trees; though most tree branches would be able support DD's 155 lbs.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:

Desharnais vs Gomez

Diaz vs Weber

White vs Darche
desharnais of course

diaz can be sent to hamilton through waivers, weber cannot. so the choice has been made for ya. i still think weber, with time, can become a good d-man that's a constant danger on the powerplay

white and darche is a false dichotomy. one has a spot locked on the fourth line and one was signed as a 13th forward. we don't have to 'chose' either one, we can have both or you can upgrade both but the bottom line is they perform different roles

on topic: since the beginning of the season, the only line that has consistently produced is DD's. changing line mates left and right? still producing. cammy is an offensive blackhole? put him with DD. boom, points...

you go little guy!

someone should post DD's shootout move. he basically trolled niemi

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:08 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

With DD, Pleks, and Eller, we are set at center for the next 5 years at least. Just keep signing the Moores/Halperns/Nokias of the world to win faceoffs and check on the 4th line...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Not sure if serious.........

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Not sure if serious.........
There is nothing false about his statement.

"If teams could dress 25 players per game and ice 5 lines, there would always be a spot for Desharnais" doesn't imply that the following are false:

If teams could dress 20 players per game and ice 4 lines, there would always be a spot for Desharnais.

If teams could dress 15 players per game and ice 3 lines, there would always be a spot for Desharnais.

If teams could dress 10 players per game and ice 2 lines, there would always be a spot for Desharnais.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:25 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Thornton is always out played by our smaller players, Saku killed him all those years when we played them in the playoffs. Thornton seems to have a lot of problems when facing " soft teams "
Man, I remember those playoff battles between Saku and Big Joe. Don't forget that after missing nearly the entire season due to cancer, he put up 10 points in 12 playoff games. What a warrior.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:26 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Man, I remember those playoff battles between Saku and Big Joe. Don't forget that after missing nearly the entire season due to cancer, he put up 10 points in 12 playoff games. What a warrior.
Heart

Saku > DD > Joe Thornton

No surprise.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

Bring back Saku. <3

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
karatekid

pretty invisible tonight. c'mon DD!!!

karatekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:13 PM
AntonCH

I have just one question to ask: Would DD be a top 2 center on most other NHL teams?

hmmmm..............................
me thinks not, how about you?

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
I have just one question to ask: Would DD be a top 2 center on most other NHL teams?

I'm not sure how to answer that, but I'll say this: it's useless to have Desharnais on your team if he's not playing as a top 2 center, since I don't believe he'd be as useful in another role.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
capebretoncanadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid View Post
I disagree....he's been digging for pucks out there...he had a couple chances in close too...no pts. but it seems Cole mostly lugs the puck up the ice every time so maybe DD is less visible?

On a broader note I've been a supporter of this guy from the beginning and it's fun to see (some) of the haters pulling up to the table to eat their crow. This guy has been the pivot man on our teams best and most dangerous line.

Keep it up DD

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:21 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post

Considering his 34th in the league in scoring amongst centres, I'd say most teams would love to have Desharnais.

Some names he's tied with scoring;
Derek Roy, TJ Oshie, Mike Ribeiro.

Some names he's ahead of in scoring;
Nik Antropov, Rich Peverly, Paul Statsny, Bryan Little, Ryan Kesler, Jeff Carter, Tuomo Ruutu, Saku Koivu, David Krecji, Pierre-Marc Bouchard, Jason Arnott, Mikhail Grabovski, Antoine Vermette, Patrik Berglund.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:10 PM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid View Post
Good 2nd and 3rd period, been better at protecting the puck in the corners lately, and I bet you Cammy doesn't want to go back with Plekanec cause he's been getting chances lately.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote