HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2011, 07:28 PM
  #26
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,504
vCash: 500
Perhaps will LJV be better once Spacek comes back.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:41 PM
  #27
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Certainly possible given the logjam. Almost likely, even. But the conundrum is whether he will actually get fair value back. I highly doubt this is his peak as a player, he can and will be better.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:41 PM
  #28
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
All the other players we traded were at positions of weakness however. We never didn't need Kostitsyn or Ribeiro or Fatty. Weber is something we have an excess of. Puck moving defenseman. If we can move him for a position of weakness like a young forward with top six upside(since our top six is old), I don't see why we wouldn't. Diaz is a smarter version of Weber. You can't teach vision or hockey IQ, and Diaz will always be better than Weber in these areas.
Diaz is more advanced defensively, but Weber has more long term upside.

Defense IS a position of weakness right now, we have 3 guys on the last year of their contract, 2 of them being older, so unless you get GREAT return you don't move Weber this year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
  #29
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Diaz is more advanced defensively, but Weber has more long term upside.
According to what? Do you have the EHM in real life editor?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:43 PM
  #30
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
I don't see the point in trading him. I can't see him having much value. Teams are not going to line up to make an offer for him. Might as well keep him for now. He's proven he can play but he is inconsistent. For sure the defence needs a different element right now instead of Weber but I think the team will be trading him just for the sake of trading him right now if it happens.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:05 PM
  #31
Aeneas
Registered User
 
Aeneas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 440
vCash: 500
When spacek and campoli come back, keep Emelin in the lineup, weber in press box and diaz in AHL

with some time in the press box he will hopefully see things better and improve on it

can't see him being traded with our luck on defence and injuries

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:10 PM
  #32
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,864
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I don't see the point in trading him. I can't see him having much value. Teams are not going to line up to make an offer for him. Might as well keep him for now. He's proven he can play but he is inconsistent. For sure the defence needs a different element right now instead of Weber but I think the team will be trading him just for the sake of trading him right now if it happens.
i don't see it too

the return will likely be low unless it's in a package deal with another player

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:10 PM
  #33
Krnage
Registered User
 
Krnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fermont
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,879
vCash: 500
what...can habs get for Weber ?

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:17 PM
  #34
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,063
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamiltonhabfan10 View Post
When spacek and campoli come back, keep Emelin in the lineup, weber in press box and diaz in AHL

with some time in the press box he will hopefully see things better and improve on it

can't see him being traded with our luck on defence and injuries
Keep Diaz up and St-Denis back in the minors.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:17 PM
  #35
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
According to what? Do you have the EHM in real life editor?
Do you have anything to add?

Weber is already stronger physically and has a better point shot.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:19 PM
  #36
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I don't see the point in trading him. I can't see him having much value. Teams are not going to line up to make an offer for him. Might as well keep him for now. He's proven he can play but he is inconsistent. For sure the defence needs a different element right now instead of Weber but I think the team will be trading him just for the sake of trading him right now if it happens.
I think he'd have pretty good value...2nd round pick or decent prospect, but he is worth more to the Habs given that he is NHL ready and he plays a position we will need very shortly.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:21 PM
  #37
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,063
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Do you have anything to add?

Weber is already stronger physically and has a better point shot.
Agreed, any talk of trading Weber is way premature and any trade would be a big mistake. I really can see him becoming a stronger Streit. I am not saying Diaz could not become a solid NHL dman, but I agree Weber has more of an upside.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:35 PM
  #38
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
At least if we trade him, lets do it when value not low.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:43 PM
  #39
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 14,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
At least if we trade him, lets do it when value not low.
He's not a veteran. He's a project that is floundering, he'll only get value by playing well - and why would we want to trade a good, young dman?

He has no past history or game, he's just a crappy youngster right now. There are hundreds.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:53 PM
  #40
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,285
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's not a veteran. He's a project that is floundering, he'll only get value by playing well - and why would we want to trade a good, young dman?

He has no past history or game, he's just a crappy youngster right now. There are hundreds.
Well, if he's at least playing decent and we have more of same type then you can get value but trading him when hes having a bad streak and has no record isnt smart.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:00 PM
  #41
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He's not a veteran. He's a project that is floundering, he'll only get value by playing well - and why would we want to trade a good, young dman?

He has no past history or game, he's just a crappy youngster right now. There are hundreds.
Not sure what you're trying to say...

He's made nice strides this year despite a crappy camp. He's struggled the last couple weeks, but in general he's been a solid d-man for us and helped the PP...just not sure he is ready to be THE QB yet. He could be the shooter with Markov or run the 2nd PP. I think expecting a rookie(or a guy with less than 80 NHL games) to run the Pp is a bit too much.

I think he would have pretty good value if we would put him out there...but I think unless we can get big time return, it's not worth it. He is a cheap, improving young player that gives us depth. last uyaer we traded O'byrne and then regretted it about 6 weeks later after Markov and Gorges went out for the year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:35 PM
  #42
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think he'd have pretty good value...2nd round pick or decent prospect, but he is worth more to the Habs given that he is NHL ready and he plays a position we will need very shortly.
I just don't see it. I like him, but he hasn't proved he could play long term IMO. You might get a 2nd under the right conditions. A team with little defence depth and shallow with defence prospects with multiple 2nd round picks in the draft may sacrifice one. But I don't see his worth being a 2nd round pick.

If a team offered a 3rd right now would you take it? His value is not going to increase if he isn't playing. Crappy minutes like today that is only going to get worse when (if?) the team gets healthy. He's in a tough spot I think.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:39 PM
  #43
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I just don't see it. I like him, but he hasn't proved he could play long term IMO. You might get a 2nd under the right conditions. A team with little defence depth and shallow with defence prospects with multiple 2nd round picks in the draft may sacrifice one. But I don't see his worth being a 2nd round pick.

If a team offered a 3rd right now would you take it? His value is not going to increase if he isn't playing. Crappy minutes like today that is only going to get worse when (if?) the team gets healthy. He's in a tough spot I think.
He's shown he can be a productive top 6 NHLer. Yeah he's struggled at times when he was used on a 1st or 2nd pair, but his usage has gone way up this yaer due to injuries.

Yes the numbers will be tough once everybody is back, but the fact that he can fill in up front and contribute on the PP should keep him in the lineup. Diaz and St.Denis should go AHL since they don't have to pass waivers. We finally have depth on defense, would be dumb to trade part of it away for no good reason.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:48 PM
  #44
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,864
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's shown he can be a productive top 6 NHLer. Yeah he's struggled at times when he was used on a 1st or 2nd pair, but his usage has gone way up this yaer due to injuries.

Yes the numbers will be tough once everybody is back, but the fact that he can fill in up front and contribute on the PP should keep him in the lineup. Diaz and St.Denis should go AHL since they don't have to pass waivers. We finally have depth on defense, would be dumb to trade part of it away for no good reason.
agree they should and HAM needs that help on the backend


my 3,300th post

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:04 PM
  #45
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
He has been rather brutal lately.

I might point out he was doing well, had progressed wonderfully... and then for some reason the team moved him to forward for a game a couple weeks ago. Ever since he has looked lost, even when back on D.

My guess? The constant moving him around, especially after he had appeared to have established himself is getting to him. It's a shame, I think he'll be the best of the young trio, but even I'll admit there is a logjam that isn't looking good for him as the team gets healthy.

Something to keep in mind though. He's the youngest guy back there (aside from Subban). Emelin and Diaz are the new shiny, but they're both 25 with several years of pro hockey. Weber is two years younger than them.

My belief is the same as always.

When Spacek, Campoli and Markov are playing again, you should send Diaz to the AHL to absolutely dominate for the rest of the year. St. Denis goes with him.

At this point I'd dress:

Markov - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Emelin - Campoli
Ex. Spacek

...and dress Weber as a 7th D (not a 4th liner). It's the best they can do in the circumstances and hopefully he'll push Campoli and Emelin for ice time.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:05 PM
  #46
Guilliam
Registered User
 
Guilliam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,948
vCash: 500
People here talk like Weber is a bust or even an old washup. He's a young kid who's still learning with highs and lows.

Will people ever learn to be patient? didn't the Pacioretty experiment teach them anything?

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:11 PM
  #47
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I trust the management to make the right move - .
Really, why? It worries me that they haven't addressed a lot of the team needs for the last few years, so I have as much faith in this group as the last one.

Not saying you are wrong, but I have lost a lot of faith in management.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:36 AM
  #48
jonas2244
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
People here talk like Weber is a bust or even an old washup. He's a young kid who's still learning with highs and lows.

Will people ever learn to be patient? didn't the Pacioretty experiment teach them anything?
And he showed good games at the beginning of the season, was sometimes even the best Habs defender.

There is no way Diaz goes to the AHL the way he's playing currently. Was again very good yesterday.

jonas2244 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:58 AM
  #49
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah he's struggled lately...big deal...young players hit rough patches...not sure why there is a rush to trade him. As we have seen the last few years, depth on defense is never a bad thing, plus he can fill in adequately up front when needed. At this point he is our best #7 option. Diaz and St Denis to hamilton once everybody is back.
agreed.

why is everyone rushing to trade him?

It's stupid.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:31 AM
  #50
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 500
They tried to move him last year at the deadline so I think they will move him if the right offer comes along. look back at last years games and they played him a lot heading into he deadline and then as soon as it passed he was benched. He has been outplayed by Emelin and Diaz.

MrNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.