HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Luke Adam vs Marc Andre GlutenFree

Old
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
But if there are guys in the AHL who do have the footspeed to play in the NHL, why aren't they winning the Eddie shore award? Tyler Myers is the exception to the rule, but most NHL players spend at least a year or two in the minors. Is 24 too old to make the jump? A seasoned veteran in the AHL, too slow for the NHL? Since most hockey players hit their prime between 25-30 I would think he's still got some time to improve (although less than other players who get called up earlier).

As far as +/-, even if he's getting put out there in favorable situations, doesn't being a + player at least prove his line has a better goal differential than the other team's worst line? Isn't that all you want from a cheap third pairing defenseman?

I think Gragnani is just an easy target because he's the lowest guy on the totem pole. I see the same kind of hate on these boards for Matt Ellis lately. Matt is a perfect 4th line player, but he's not going to score 20 goals or beat up Milan Lucic so apparently he's a waste of space. How about holding some of the guys who are making $5+ million dollars this year accountable when the team scores one goal? Putting Brayden McNabb in for Gragnani on the power play isn't going to make a bit of difference.
What forum are you reading? The top guys on this team for various reasons have been ripped to shreds in the last several weeks/month.

Grags is an easy target because of his play on the top PP unit not his pay (btw thats an odd arguement since players making big bucks are the ones usually singled out because of their pay not the other way around). He has been our #1 PP QB from the start of the season on (with a small break for a few games from that role). There is a certain level of play thats expected in that role regardless of the pay or experience of that player.

Much of the frustration and rage about Grags is about how Ruff treats him in relation to other players. If you re-read the OP of this thread, he is as pissed, if not more so, with Ruff's use of Grags as he is with Grags.

I'm among the confused as it pertains to Grags and his continued death grip on a spot on the #1 PP unit. Its not like we don't have other options like Leopold, Pommer, Roy, Myers and to a lesser extent Sekera to try with Ehrhoff. Some of those options have proven track records as NHL PP pointmen. Something Grags does not have. To be blunt, Grags is a nobody in the NHL at this point of his career. Its a head scratcher why he gets the amount of slack he does from the head coach. Particuarly when proven vets are below him in the PP pecking order and other youngsters don't get the same slack he does. Its the reason for the jokes about him having incriminating pictures of Lindy.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-02-2011 at 05:14 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:03 PM
jfb392

Quote:
But if there are guys in the AHL who do have the footspeed to play in the NHL, why aren't they winning the Eddie shore award? Tyler Myers is the exception to the rule, but most NHL players spend at least a year or two in the minors. Is 24 too old to make the jump? A seasoned veteran in the AHL, too slow for the NHL? Since most hockey players hit their prime between 25-30 I would think he's still got some time to improve (although less than other players who get called up earlier).
Some players play a style that suits the NHL, while others play a game that suits the AHL/Europe.

Those who play a game that suits the NHL are usually not able to stay in the AHL long enough to pile up the points to win the award.
Those who play a game that suits the AHL stay down there for that very reason, which means they are able to pile up the points required to win the award.
Career AHL'ers also become very familiar with the AHL game and get good at exploiting rookie mistakes (which are not as prevalent in the NHL) and do so frequently.

The somewhat lower compete and intensity levels in the AHL also play a part, as it allows for skill to take over a lot of the time.
In the NHL, compete level and intensity play a much larger role because more is on the line, so you can't get by purely on just skill.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:17 AM
punkr0x

Andrej Sekera saw a lot of power play time last night. He was brutal. How many giveaways did he have in that game? Clearly not the answer on the PP (even though he was taking Leopold's spot, not Grag's).

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I just don't know. I am starting to get upset about this whole putting in rookies so they can learn concept. If it was my choice, I would ditch both of them. Adam has been transparent and MAG has been atrocious. The way this is going the Amerks will win the Calder Cup before the Sabres even get close to ECF or even division finals.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Andrej Sekera saw a lot of power play time last night. He was brutal. How many giveaways did he have in that game? Clearly not the answer on the PP (even though he was taking Leopold's spot, not Grag's).
I love this.

You rip Sekera for one game of suck on the PP and dismiss him as a possible answer on the PP after this one game. But you've defended two months of suck from Grags on the PP and think he could be the answer.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-03-2011 at 10:53 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:29 AM
jfb392

I'll give Grags credit, he looked good on one of our power plays during the second period last night.

Outside of that though..

Old
12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I love this.

You rip Sekera for one game of suck on the PP and dimiss him as not the answer after this one game. But you've defended two months of suck from Grags on the PP and think he could be the answer.
good minds think alike

I thought the same thing

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:51 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
I love this.

You rip Sekera for one game of suck on the PP and dismiss him as a possible answer on the PP after this one game. But you've defended two months of suck from Grags on the PP and think he could be the answer.
Personally, I've been talking about Sekera's lack of ability once the team is set up in the offensive zone for a long time. He's had power play time before this season and has never produced. His decision making has improved back there at even strength, but he's still not a guy I trust to run the PP.

Of course, I'm not saying Gragnani is either

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:48 PM
punkr0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I love this.

Some people have said Sekera would be a better option than Gragnani on the power play. He's way worse than Gragnani. And he's been in the NHL for four years and he's never been any good on the power play. I'm still waiting for someone to name a guy who can take Gragnani's place on the top unit.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Summit72

"Marc Andre Gluten Free"?

Really?

Are you a xenophobe, or is his name just too hard for you to pronounce?

Summit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit72 View Post

Really?

you gotta be jochen? what the hecht?

its a joke

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Summit72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
you gotta be jochen? what the hecht?

its a joke
Lol.

I appreciate the humor, but that is disrespectful.

Summit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Another +3 night.

I thought this was his best DEFENSIVE game of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit72 View Post

Really?

No, it was a comment that everything Gluten Free sucks per the OP.

12-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Another +3 night.

I thought this was his best DEFENSIVE game of the year

No, it was a comment that everything Gluten Free sucks per the OP.
Without a doubt. He was actually making contact with the opposing forwards tonight...on purpose, too. I think there was only one or two complaints about him in tonight's GDT, so he must've been good.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
jfb392

+3 and a hit?

What am I reading?

Old
12-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
+3 and a hit?

What am I reading?
He had more contact tonight, but they gave him one. And it didn't take away from his stick skills (the odd-man-rush breakup he had in particular).

And Adam keeps chugging along with his new linemates.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:34 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He had more contact tonight, but they gave him one. And it didn't take away from his stick skills (the odd-man-rush breakup he had in particular).

And Adam keeps chugging along with his new linemates.

Good way to describe his play.

Chugging along, continuing tp produce no matter who his line mates are.

Maybe we have a better player on our hands than any of us realize.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Good way to describe his play.

Chugging along, continuing tp produce no matter who his line mates are.

Maybe we have a better player on our hands than any of us realize.
I think what we have seen this year is a talented rookie being a talented rookie. The biggest thing most rookies lack is consistency, and that is no different with Adam.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote