HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Wings vs Oilers.

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

vCash: 500
GDT: Wings vs Oilers.

Ahhhh! Finally! I get to watch a full Red Wings game! Anyone know who is starting? I am guessing with the Oilers poor play Legace could see action tonight.

4-1 Wings.

Schneider, Holmstrom, Zetterberg, Hull.

York.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:08 AM
PigPen

Here's what I posted on the Oilers' board earlier today.

Quote:
4-2 wings
Detroit: Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Hull, Holmstrom
Edmonton: York, Moreau

Here are the reasons I think the wings dominate like they can and should tonight.

1) They haven't lost 3 games in a row since 96-97. The last time they lost 4 in a row was in 89-90.
2) This is the first time they've been at the .500 mark since the start of either 91-92 or 92-93.
3) They haven't been below the .500 mark at any time during a season since 90-91
4) Last game was a wakeup call to a lot of wings' players who were playing lazy hockey. (IE: Chris Chelios, Brendan Shanahan, Darren McCarty, and Kirk Maltby) And trust me, it's not their age catching up to them.
5) This is a veteran team that will not accept anything other than a win tonight.

I think tonight will be a very tight game with the wings coming out on top. They've had a day off and a lot of reflecting to do on the last game. If they don't pull off a win here, then that shows just how much character this team has

Old
11-01-2003, 08:11 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Hell, start Cujo again. Maybe we'll get a true goalie controversy going. : What a mess that'd make, not that it isn't already.

I'm just hoping the Wings come out firing tonight and win this one. Part of me is also hoping for slightly new line configurations, including breaking up the grind line a bit.

score: 5-2

Hull (2), McCarty, Schneider, Williams (Yzerman three assists on the PP)

York, Brewer

Old
11-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Turner

I thought that they were going to start Cujo tonight. Plus he is going to get some starts in a row because Hasek has a "sore groin". They are just dying to get a goalie controversy as soon as they can. Oh well as long as Cujo plays well it can't hurt the trade prospects.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
Part of me is also hoping for slightly new line configurations, including breaking up the grind line a bit.
I think that may be a good idea. Spreading the wealth over all four lines seeing as we are not getting much scoring from the the 4th line and the Grind Line is expected to score more then they can and are doing. I think it would be an interesting experiment to put Stevie Y on the 3rd line in hopes to generate scoring.

Holmstrom - Zetterberg - Shanahan
Hull - Datsyuk - Deveraux
McCarty - Yzerman - Maltby
Draper - Hudler - Whitney

Old
11-01-2003, 12:10 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I've a feeling it's going to be Cujo again, though I wouldn't mind seeing Manny...they will probably give it to Cujo to help get him ready for the trade table (though with Hasek out til who knows when this is actually an ace in the hole).

When Brett, Pavel and Shanny were together it wasn't that bad a combination...maybe that could be used again. They do need to get something going though, because this sense of complacency has got to go. As stated above, maybe the game the other night is a wake-up call. Let's see how they respond tonight.

I hope Pavel gets a goal tonight, along with Nick, Fisch and Stevie Y. Fisch is due, and so is Nick.

Old
11-01-2003, 12:57 PM
Spitfire11

Detroit 6 (Hudler, Deveraux, Yzerman, Maltby, Hull, Holmstrom)
Edmonton 4

Old
11-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Legace in net

just grabbed this link off RWC. Another goalie goes down with a sore groin.

ARGH! my groin!

Old
11-01-2003, 03:34 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
just grabbed this link off RWC. Another goalie goes down with a sore groin.

ARGH! my groin!
Just about to post that! I am sure Legace will be great though.

Old
11-01-2003, 05:15 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Wings lines:

Whitney - Yzerman - Shanahan
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Hull
Maltby - Draper - McCarty
Deveraux - Hudler - Holmstrom

Lidstrom - Schneider
Chelios - Fischer
Wooley - Dandenault

Old
11-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Shanahan misses on a questionable penalty shot. Salo makes a great save by stacking the pads.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:37 PM
name

Holy schnikees!! 4-2 Wings. Wow.

Detroit capitalized on their chances in the second where they didn't in the first. Not all of those goals were Salo's fault, but he probably should have stopped at least one of them, maybe two. Datsyuk made up for his defensive lapse earlier and it was nice to see the grind line get a couple.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:42 PM
PigPen

Aside from the 2 cheap minors Hudler has been one of the best wings out there tonight. He'd played great defensively and has been driving to the net (as usual).
He needs to be paired with real players though, not Floyd Devereaux and Homer.
Give him Zetterberg as a wing or a center and watch him rack up some points.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:51 PM
kira

4-2 Wings!

Now THIS is more like it! And what a rocket off of Pasha's stick...ah, me darlin', what a sweet shot. Right into the corner where there's nowhere to hide.

I kinda wish it would have been Pavel taking that penalty shot...I would have bet the farm he would have made it. Brendan telegraphed where he was going to go and Salo would have been a total idiot to miss it. Now Pavel, on the other hand, would have faked Salo right out of his skates and smoked him.

Okay, guys, 20 minutes to keep it going...the momentum is going their way...can we make it 5 or 6?

Old
11-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

That blind pass by Hull and shot by Datsyuk were both things of beauty.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:00 PM
kira

Interesting line combo with Brett, Pasha and Homer...stir the pot up a little?

Well, a 4-4 tie...we'll take it, say thank you very much and run like hell. Wish we could have kept the lead, but oh well, considering how things have gone lately I'll take the tie.

In honor of Pavel's goal, I'm even tipping up a double shot of Tullamore Dew. Here's to you, kid.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:44 PM
PigPen

4-4 tie. The GTG from Moreau was a direct result of a Niklas Lidstrom mistake.

Lidstrom had a horrible game tonight by anybody's standards. He wasn't skating well, he didn't shoot or pass very well. His positioning wasn't that hot either. Just terrible, being caught off balance and outskated by Fernando Pissani...

At least shanahan looked like he wanted to play to win this time, though. Last game seemed to have woken him up.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:59 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Wings got burned by a couple of mistakes and sensationally bad bounces in the third. Chelios clear attempt looked to bounce of someone and end up right on an Oil stick. Lidstrom's gaff should have never happened on the botched offside call, and the Shanny still got his stick on the breakaway shot, only to have th deflected puck go right to an Oil stick again. When you're not playing your sharpest and you're not getting the bounces, it's a recipe for disaster.

On a Lewis bashing note, I don't see why he puts together new lines, just to break them up again when they're working. I thought the Devereaux-Zetterberg-Hudler line was playing well together, and Devereaux was finally being put into a position to succeed, as was Holmstrom on a line with Datsyuk and Hull. once the Oil closed to one goal, though, Lewis apparently lost his nerve and went back to the previous lines.

At least it was a point, and something to build off of.

Old
11-02-2003, 03:48 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

After watching this game I finally realize how useless Boyd Deveraux is.

Old
11-02-2003, 08:42 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
At least shanahan looked like he wanted to play to win this time, though. Last game seemed to have woken him up.
I thought Shanahan still looked out of it. Hudler played well, he deserves more ice time. I'm a big Whitney fan, but he's trying to be too fancy.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:25 AM
Turner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
Aside from the 2 cheap minors Hudler has been one of the best wings out there tonight. He'd played great defensively and has been driving to the net (as usual).
He needs to be paired with real players though, not Floyd Devereaux and Homer.
Give him Zetterberg as a wing or a center and watch him rack up some points.
Exactly what I have been saying. He is being wasted BIG time on the fourth line he needs a scoring line forward with him. Maybe Lewis could see that elfs don't make very good checking line forwards. Z, Dats and Yzerman have been carrying this team and I have serious doubts about them being able to do it for any length of time.

Old
11-02-2003, 02:43 PM
PigPen

Zetterberg and Datsyuk look better as each game goes by. I think those two can do a good job of stealing games and keeping us in a few that we have no right being in on some nights. Once they hit their groove like they did in the second half of last season the team will be dominant again.

Still, the last 3 games Lidstrom has looked bad. I think he's just gotten lazy playing with Schneider who is another puck rushing defenseman. Not the best pairing in the world. No chemistry and they rarely communicate. It's like he doesn't feel he has to do as much with Schneider out there and gets lazy.

Wings' should sit Wooley and bring up Kronwall to play with Lidstrom. Maybe that'll light a fire under his ass. (I'm getting sick of saying that about wings' players...)

Closed Thread