HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to get Dubinsky jump started?

Old
12-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
It's frustrating, you can tell that every time he gets the puck he's thinking "Man, maybe this will be when i get that next goal."

He needs to shut down his nerves or something.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Dorado*

In all sports it seems guys in there contract year , work out harder , focus more ; meaning they stay in more get more sleep , avoid the bars maybe less screwing around with girls
Etc . Then how many times they get paid and that career year never happens again . Dubi was upping his numbers every year but maybe he has reached his ceiling . He's a key player but playing his way OUT OF TOP 6 and TOP 6 minutes . It's not ancoincidence that the Rangers are plAying their best since they have stopped TRYING TO GET HIM GOING and just play . He's a good team player and seems to have accepted his role which is good .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Dubinsky is the new Higgins but the differnce is I have faith that Dubinsky is actually good

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Dubinsky also drops way more sweet burns on other hockey players than Higgins did. that has to be considered.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:28 PM
HockeyBurd*

Send him to a hypno-therapist.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Play him with Hagelin and Mitchell.
thats not bad ,wouldn't mind seeing that when torts starts to dick around with lines midgame. Boyle has been hard to watch lately, ugh...

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
egelband

you let him play. you don't trade him. you love the fact that the rangers don't need him scoring to win. he's gonna be fine.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Time. And patience. That's all Dubi needs.

If he was playing poorly in all aspects of the game, different story. He's playing solid hockey but can't put the puck in the net. Most players let that affect their entire game. Dubinsky's overall play hasn't diminished.

I know he's now a veteran in this league, but he's still just 25 years old. I still don't think he'll peak until he's in his later 20's.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:28 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Time. And patience. That's all Dubi needs.

If he was playing poorly in all aspects of the game, different story. He's playing solid hockey but can't put the puck in the net. Most players let that affect their entire game. Dubinsky's overall play hasn't diminished.

I know he's now a veteran in this league, but he's still just 25 years old. I still don't think he'll peak until he's in his later 20's.
If his overall game hasn't dimished, he'd be playing 20 minutes and not the 9 minutes he got last nite. He has played less than 13 minutes in each of his last five games.

Torts would not cut his time in half, if he was doing all the other things. Dubi has always been a work horse for this team, playing in all situations.

He's in Chateau Bow Wow for sure. Infact his whole line is in the dog house. Prust and Avery too. Avery did not get a shift in the 3rd, Dubi got 3 and Prust 2. Torts is not trusting any of them with the game on the line.

Even though he says he's confident in rolling 4 lines, the TOI doesn't lie. I did hear him mention that Prust does not have his full confidence yet in a postgame interview a few games back. But I haven't heard anything from him about Dubi or Avery's situation. Which makes sense, since we are winning. If we were losing,... the press would be asking, what's up.

Didn't Dubi get married this offseason? Bet that has something to do with his play this year. That and his contract signing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was being shopped around. I like Dubi but Torts must have a reason he's not playing. And it's not that he is not scoring. Torts would not cut his icetime,... if he was doing everything else well.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
TheHotRock

zero trade value at 4.5m per year. lol@anyone who thinks trading him is a valid idea

he still plays, still goes all out, i'm ok with him on my team

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:37 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Sell his ass on the black market. Maybe he'll decide to turn over a new leaf when he finds himself in Zimbabwe.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:52 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
zero trade value at 4.5m per year. lol@anyone who thinks trading him is a valid idea

he still plays, still goes all out, i'm ok with him on my team
Hey I like Dubi. I hoped he might have been Captain this year. But he definitely had a falling out with Torts.

He's not getting 4.5 is he? Thought it was 3.8m. Anyway Bobby Ryan is being shopped around and we would be stupid not to kick the tires.

Old
12-04-2011, 01:53 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Smack between $4.5M and $3.8M. $4.2M.

12-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby View Post
If his overall game hasn't dimished, he'd be playing 20 minutes and not the 9 minutes he got last nite. He has played less than 13 minutes in each of his last five games.

Torts would not cut his time in half, if he was doing all the other things. Dubi has always been a work horse for this team, playing in all situations.

He's in Chateau Bow Wow for sure. Infact his whole line is in the dog house. Prust and Avery too. Avery did not get a shift in the 3rd, Dubi got 3 and Prust 2. Torts is not trusting any of them with the game on the line.

Even though he says he's confident in rolling 4 lines, the TOI doesn't lie. I did hear him mention that Prust does not have his full confidence yet in a postgame interview a few games back. But I haven't heard anything from him about Dubi or Avery's situation. Which makes sense, since we are winning. If we were losing,... the press would be asking, what's up.

Didn't Dubi get married this offseason? Bet that has something to do with his play this year. That and his contract signing.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was being shopped around. I like Dubi but Torts must have a reason he's not playing. And it's not that he is not scoring. Torts would not cut his icetime,... if he was doing everything else well.
His icetime has been a product of other guys playing well, not dubi playing poorly. I think torts is possibly trying to take some pressure off him too by playing him less. I think Torts knows that he'll need dubi to produce in the long run if we're going to be a top team, they'll figure it out.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:01 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Let's not forget that Dubinsky is not invisible in the playoffs. He's done so much good for this team but his scoring has always been streaky. He's just gotten some real tough luck. When Dubinsky's game is on he's one of our most valuable players. There's a reason he has an accurate character model in NHL 12!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:11 AM
riz

Switch Boyle and Dubi, so we'd have:
Hagelin-Dubinsky-Mitchell
Avery-Boyle-Prust
as the bottom 6.

When Wolski and Rupp come back, possibly switch Avery and Rupp depending on game-by-game needs and if Wolski seems up for it, plug him in either for Fedotenko or Mitchell (with Hagelin switching wings possibly. Then again, the third line wings are for Hagelin and Mitchell to lose, so Wolski would have to really push it to break in.

riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:14 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
His icetime has been a product of other guys playing well, not dubi playing poorly. I think torts is possibly trying to take some pressure off him too by playing him less. I think Torts knows that he'll need dubi to produce in the long run if we're going to be a top team, they'll figure it out.
What you say makes sense,... but I'm not sure that's what's going on here. You have a tight game going into the 3rd period. Torts would want his best and most responsible players on the ice at that time. And last year that would be Dubi hands down. He got only 3 shifts last nite in Tampa in the 3rd. Richards, Cally, and Gabby all got 9 or 10 shifts. Even Boyle got 10 shifts in the 3rd. This doesn't smell right.

If like you say,... he's not playing poorly. Somethings up.

Old
12-04-2011, 02:18 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
He wants to lower "pressure" to increase production in the long run...when 'pressure' is even more prevalent? That doesn't make much sense, IMO, and it's ironic given that he usually produces early on in the season.

At this point, there isn't an excuse for Dubinsky at this point in the goal scoring department. He needs to produce, especially after signing as lucrative a contract as he did last summer, and almost bringing it to arbitration in doing so. After that hooplah, he better damn well deliver, and, thus far, he hasn't. And nobody is to blame for that other than himself.

He's played OK. But, for a player making $4.25M, you have to be better than "okay", you have to be a difference maker once in a while, and he's been a difference maker...well, I really cannot think of the last time he had a game where he was. He's had games where he made a nice play to set up a goal, but, aside from that, he's been a non-factor. So much so, that he's now playing on the 4th line and getting less ice time than players like Boyle, a rookie in Hagelin, John Mitchell, and Ruslan Fedotenko (who, in all fairness, has been excellent lately).

He needs to get it going, now. Would not be surprised if he was a healthy scratch on Monday against the Leafs. In fact, I hope he is. Maybe it'll wake him up.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Zil

I understand Torts' decision to cut his ice time down. But I really question the wisdom of having him play center. Dubi's a guy whose game breaks down when he thinks too much. He's much better suited to left wing, and that's probably the position to get him going at. The problem is that moving him to wing would necessitate playing Christensen (or moving Anisimov back to center, which obviously isn't happening this year). A night in the press box might not be the worst thing for him either.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

bench his ass

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:52 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
A night in the press box might not be the worst thing for him either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
He needs to get it going, now. Would not be surprised if he was a healthy scratch on Monday against the Leafs. In fact, I hope he is. Maybe it'll wake him up.
I can't say I approve of Torts methods all the time. Especially with the way he handles icetime. But the team is winning so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But still, how is cutting Dubi's icetime benefitting the team or him.

I would rather, like you guys mentioned, make him a healthy scratch,... instead of him playing a 4th line role. Unless they had words or something. And it's more a punishment than a wake up.

Hate when Torts does this. He did this to Gabby earlier this year. Cutting his minutes in crunch time (3rd period). Meanwhile he tells the press Gabby has been skating all year long.

Old
12-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
He wants to lower "pressure" to increase production in the long run...when 'pressure' is even more prevalent? That doesn't make much sense, IMO, and it's ironic given that he usually produces early on in the season.

At this point, there isn't an excuse for Dubinsky at this point in the goal scoring department. He needs to produce, especially after signing as lucrative a contract as he did last summer, and almost bringing it to arbitration in doing so. After that hooplah, he better damn well deliver, and, thus far, he hasn't. And nobody is to blame for that other than himself.

He's played OK. But, for a player making $4.25M, you have to be better than "okay", you have to be a difference maker once in a while, and he's been a difference maker...well, I really cannot think of the last time he had a game where he was. He's had games where he made a nice play to set up a goal, but, aside from that, he's been a non-factor. So much so, that he's now playing on the 4th line and getting less ice time than players like Boyle, a rookie in Hagelin, John Mitchell, and Ruslan Fedotenko (who, in all fairness, has been excellent lately).

Please, I hate that idea that he's just not trying hard enough and he just needs to turn it on and start producing.

And you misunderstood my previous comments about managing pressure. Right now Dubi is feeling extra pressure to produce because even though the effort is there it's not leading to production. I believe it is likely Torts realizes this and so in an effort to relieve some of that pressure on Dubi he's limiting his minutes. In the long run the production will be there, so pressure won't be. I'm talking only about the pressure dubi feels with regards to his stat sheet, that has nothing to do with playing in big spots late in the year.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:19 AM
OverTheCap

Playing Dubinsky on a line with a player who was benched the entire 3rd period (Avery) may not be conducive to helping him break out of his slump. Both Dubi and Prust's ice time took a hit in the 3rd because Torts was forced to double shift a winger on that line.

In 9 minutes of ice time, Dubinsky registered 3 hits and 2 shots, won half his faceoffs, and played defensively sound hockey. So far his lack of production hasn't affected the rest of his game, but if it does, then I would advocate a benching. Unfortunately, I am not anticipating him producing much so long as he is playing with Avery and Prust, who are both inconsistent offensively as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:25 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

I don't think Torts is focused on breaking Dubi out of his slump. He's a coach that rides the hot hands. Right now, that's almost everyone but, well, prust, avery, and Dubinsky. If things look stale on the top 2 lines, or Dubi goes all beast mode, I think we'll see a move in the lines. But when we're winning, and our guys are producing enough goals without last years leading scorer, I don't see Torts risking a detriment to the top 2 lines by trying to force Dubinsky to get a goal.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Cresto
In the pantry

It's just a god awful self-perpetuating cycle that needs to go off itself
With all the contributions from everyone, there's much less urgency for him to change his game to become more productive. He's playing a good game but a game that doesn't equate to goals and offense. Everyone else has a flow and when everyone is off and running and you're catching up on momentum and confidence, it's challenging mentally to get on track. He's getting assists though and he is being productive in other ways. You don't see much mistakes from him albeit he has played less (I don't know the exact ice time but I would think that would be true).There are different momentum swings for different lines and between different players and he seems to be the one that's hasn't found it yet. GAS M-B-H C-R-Feds and no offense to avery and prust but it's a pretty... bizarre line as far as offensive production is concerned. I don't think it's a matter of motivation or drive but rather just the system and some of the intangibles within our line up and chemistry. We're winning, so like torts said, no need to change for the sake of change. With the next lineup change up (for whatever reason), maybe Dubie can start to get rolling.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote