HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Oilers-Flyers

Old
12-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Gert B Frobe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
Meszaros isn't that good. 4 million dollars for a guy who is as soft as **** paper.
Meszaros is soft? What the hell are you talking about? I'm not saying he's great or that he isn't overpaid but he is absolutely not soft at all. He plays a consistently hard, physical game and is not at all injury prone so I'm not sure why you would call him soft.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Wales is a different country to England. Another failure for the american education system
The American education system should have taught us about Wales??? Wales? Seriously? I wouldn't think some smelly, non-tipping euro trash was stupid for not knowing about Delaware or Rhode Island. same damn difference

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:38 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
The American education system should have taught us about Wales??? Wales? Seriously? I wouldn't think some smelly, non-tipping euro trash was stupid for not knowing about Delaware or Rhode Island. same damn difference
I don't think anyone is asking the average U.S. high-school grad to note primary exports or notable Welsh statesmen. Just that it's an independent country.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:40 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards18 View Post
Meszaros isn't that good. 4 million dollars for a guy who is as soft as **** paper.
You are way off base here. You must be watching reruns of old Tampa Bay games. He is a good solid defenceman. What the hell is it with this fan base and the negativity? There always has to be a whipping boy on the team.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:12 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Yeah, I mean you pretty much did. You made a false statement (just b/c someone posts the same thing 20x doesn't give it more weight)... each person counts once, making it seem like it was a bad proposal. 9/10ths of your post was off topic... then you decided to get back on.

I was pretty solid in Math... straight As and I got an 800 on the mathematics section of the SATs.

Did you fail english as well?

This I highly doubt. Please, a little advice for you, don't go spouting off "I'm so great, look at what I did/can do", it just make you look childish, insecure, and yu just can't prove it even if you did. Honestly, once you HAVE actually accomplished something you'll understand that you don't need to defend youself to others, your body of work will speak for itself. Remember, the guys who are speaking the loudest and acting the toughest aren't the ones you have to worry about, they are simply trying to hype themselves up so they might actually believe their own hype. The guys who can actually back it up just stay quiet and they are turly the scary ones.

Now, as to the trade proposal, I don't think it's too terrible but it should be simplified to just Mesz for MPS. I really don't think Edm would be into that trade butif they are game then so am I. We can worry about where the dominos fall later. i'd make a trade for Hannan for this year (3rd should suffice, maybe add a minor prospect or just make it Marshall for Hannan if we have given up on Kevin at this point).

Look at the youth we'd have on offense:
2011 - Couturier
2009 - Schenn + MPS
2007 - JVR + Voracek
2006 - Giroux

That's six former 1st rnd picks and then we also add in Simmonds (2nd rnd pick), Read (great "rookie" this year), Harry Z and Rinaldo and we might just have the 2nd best looking young core of forwards in the league (it's hard to argue with the Pens, sorry). Between Briere, Hartnell, Giroux, JVR, Voracek, Schenn, Couturier, Read, Simmonds, Jagr and MPS we could certainly trade away 2 big pieces along with a 1st to land Weber and STILL ice a 3rd line that's better than the 2nd line of most teams in the league. Trade Schenn + Read + 1st for Weber, resign Jagr and run with the following lineup next year:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jagr ($3.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Voracek ($3.000m)
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson ($1.525m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Harry Z ($0.950m)

DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($8.000m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m)
Andreas Lilja ($0.737m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)
Marshall/ Bourdon ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $66,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,403,373; BONUSES: $1,925,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$903,373

We'd be at about 65.5 mil without the bonuses and the cap should easily rise to that for next year (mil 3 mil rise just in the new 6 mil TV contract revenue to each team of which the players see about half) so cap-wise we should be ok. I don't know about you guys but I'd be ok with that lineup.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:23 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
As well as the OP being hardly reasonable from Edmonton's POV, this is not the deal that I would hope Holmgren would be pursuing. IMHO, this team's need is a great D prospect, and that's the only player for whom players like Schenn or Voracek should be expendable.

Stupid joke of the day: How do you get to Wales in a car?
1 in the front and 1 in the back.

Honestly, if we could get MPS for Meszaros straight up (let alone them throwing in a 2nd rnd pick as in the OP) I'd HOPE Holmgren would jump all over that one even today and then worry about adding someone like Hannan afterwards. The difference between Hannan and Meszaros isn't that great and IMO I'd be happier to have Scott Hannan and his 1/4th cap hit over Meszaros any day. If we could swap Meszaros and a 3rd rnd pick for Hannan + MPS + 2nd I'd be all over that like a french "lady of the night" and STD's.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I don't think anyone is asking the average U.S. high-school grad to note primary exports or notable Welsh statesmen. Just that it's an independent country.
put better than I could.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Honestly, if we could get MPS for Meszaros straight up (let alone them throwing in a 2nd rnd pick as in the OP) I'd HOPE Holmgren would jump all over that one even today and then worry about adding someone like Hannan afterwards. The difference between Hannan and Meszaros isn't that great and IMO I'd be happier to have Scott Hannan and his 1/4th cap hit over Meszaros any day. If we could swap Meszaros and a 3rd rnd pick for Hannan + MPS + 2nd I'd be all over that like a french "lady of the night" and STD's.
Sure, if that deal fell into Holmgren's lap, he'd be foolish not to pull the trigger. I was saying, though, that Holmgren's key point of trade should be looking for a top-tier young defenseman with the glut of high-end forwards.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
put better than I could.
The average school touches very little on the whole UK thing. It's pretty annoying.

12-04-2011, 08:25 PM
tuckrr

Gimme Gimme Gimme!

tuckrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:02 AM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
As an Oiler fan I don't trade MPS unless Coburn is coming back the other way. And I'm sure you guys would be against that.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote