HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Louis Leblanc called up

Old
12-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Zeroknowledge*

vCash: 500
He played fairly well but I'd rather just send him back for now and call him up when other players go down and a call up is necessary. One full AHL year seems to be helping our prospects tremendously.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:38 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
He played fairly well but I'd rather just send him back for now and call him up when other players go down and a call up is necessary. One full AHL year seems to be helping our prospects tremendously.
I don't understand why some teams can draft players and they become instant successes in the NHL, but our team just HAS to play people in the AHL!

It's not like we had the next coming of Richard. I don't understand how people can say this.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:40 AM
NewHabsEra*

I think Louis earned at least another game with the Habs.. He has improved game after game.. Some players need bigger challenges and while I wouldnt go as far as saying Louis is wasting his time with the Bulldogs this year, he still has no quality guys to play with on a losy team.. He is the type of guy that raise his game when the challenge is bigger and I think playing with NHLers would help his development..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:59 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
I don't understand why some teams can draft players and they become instant successes in the NHL, but our team just HAS to play people in the AHL!

It's not like we had the next coming of Richard. I don't understand how people can say this.
Which player became instant success?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:11 AM
PlayMistyForMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Which player became instant success?
How can you ask that question? Almost every team in the NHL has a player drafted in the first round that has played little if no AHL games and became a success in the pros at the age of 19 to 22 (22 when they come out of the US University system).

So here is a list of instant successes. I could have gone on and on, probably drawing out 60 players or so, but I think 14 current succesful players is enough to prove my point. To be fair, I only selected players, like Louis leblanc, who were drafted in the first round but below the overall 10th pick mark.

Name Age (NHL) Games in AHL Draft Pick
----------------- ---------- ------------- ------------------------
Anze Kopitar 19 0 1st - 11th overall
Simon Gagne 19 0 1st - 11th overall
Mike Richards 20 0 1st - 24th overall
Claude Giroux 19 33 1st - 22th overall
Alex Tanguay 20 5 1st - 12th overall
Jarome Iginla 19 0 1st - 11th overall
Saku Koivu 21 0 1st - 21th overall
Bryan Little 20 34 1st - 12th overall
Dmitry Kulikov 19 0 1st - 14th overall
Martin Hanzal 20 0 1st - 17th overall
David Perron 19 0 1st - 26th overall
T.J Oshie 22 0 1st - 24th overall
Alex Steen 21 0 1st - 24th overall
Jeff Carter 20 3 1st - 11th overall

As you can see, for first round picks, playing straight in the NHL with little AHL experience is quite common. It sure did not ruin the career of all the players listed above. In fact, for offensive minded forwards (with the exception maybe of power forwards), playing in AHL can slow down their progress because the AHL is not as fast paced as the NHL and chock full of third line defensive minded players and fourth line goons.

PlayMistyForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:27 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMistyForMe View Post
How can you ask that question? Almost every team in the NHL has a player drafted in the first round that has played little if no AHL games and became a success in the pros at the age of 19 to 22 (22 when they come out of the US University system).

So here is a list of instant successes. I could have gone on and on, probably drawing out 60 players or so, but I think 14 current succesful players is enough to prove my point. To be fair, I only selected players, like Louis leblanc, who were drafted in the first round but below the overall 10th pick mark.

As you can see, for first round picks, playing straight in the NHL with little AHL experience is quite common. It sure did not ruin the career of all the players listed above. In fact, for offensive minded forwards (with the exception maybe of power forwards), playing in AHL can slow down their progress because the AHL is not as fast paced as the NHL and chock full of third line defensive minded players and fourth line goons.
Ok well first of all, every european on that list did play pro hockey before being drafted. For sure they were playing in thier own counties version of the AHL.

Other than that, its about drafting well and getting lucky too.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Gally11

Looks like we ruined Leblanc

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Schwang

Quote:

Well, when you continually draft in the middle rounds, you get middle round talent. First round picks tend to make it on weaker teams because there is room on the first couple lines.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:35 AM
raz123

Quote:

Direct jump to NHL: Can ruin a player.
Spend some time in the AHL: Can only help a player.

Safe bet: AHL. All. The. Time.

I would bet that some AHL time for Latendresse would've allowed him to mature amongst seasoned professionals and prepared him to cope with MTL's pressure, as well as giving him all the needed attention and tools from the coaching staff that is in place to help a player work on his shortcomings; essentially grooming him for the NHL team.

raz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Protest the Hero

How many of those players in the list played on the fourth line, because that's where Louis would play if he were to stay up, send him back down. The outdoor game in Hamilton is coming up anyway.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:57 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:

Carey Price?

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

He looked good, but i thought he looked so slow!!! I'm dissapointed to see him that slow for a guy of his size.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Carey Price?
5th overall.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:27 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
5th overall.
Well, still, he's whining about something and then, with some arbitrary condition, he excludes the only one we still have in our lineup.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:

Which teams? Do these players happen to be top 10 picks?

Teams that have a good track record of developing players like the Sabres, Wings, Ducks, Devils, etc tend to let their players develop in the AHL before calling them up.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:

Going straight to the NHL at 22 after playing vs 20+ year olds in the NCAA and going straight to the NHL at 20 after playing vs 18/19 year olds in junior is different.

There's nothing wrong with a short stint but I'm talking about idea of keeping him in the NHL indefinitely.

Jeff Carter led the AHL playoffs in points on the Calder Cup winning team. Mike Richards was also on this team and was over a point/game. Giroux and Little both played half the year in the AHL which is a lot. Iginla is a future hall of famer. Kopitar, Steen, Kulikov, Koivu played in a mens league arguably on par with the AHL.

The list will be a lot smaller if you look for success from 20year olds coming out of junior/college. On the flip side, there is no point in making a list of successful of players who played in the AHL before becoming a NHLer because there are so many.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:07 AM
SB164

If you're gonna give Louis another game in the NHL, might as well give him one against a low-seeded team like Columbus, instead of say, Boston. I'd love to see the Kirkland boy get a taste of the Bell Centre atmosphere.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Habs Junkie

I didn't read the posts in this thread but I want to give my 2 cents on this kid...

I was really impressed how good he actually is. Wasn't expecting that considering the amount of games he's played since being drafted. He seems to have a complete game, and might be a great add on for us this season!

I thought he was a center though. His style of play would suit a great 2 way center a la plecanek. You could tell he just wanted to get a shot on net cause he was firing it from everywhere. As he got more ice time he got smarter with the puck. That shows you he has the talent in him and was allowing his nerves to dictate his play early on, but was able to get it together towards the midgame against LA.

I'm really rooting for him, I was there when he was drafted, and he's from my home town! So far LL looks like a keeper!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

I thought he looked good. He didn't look slow to me... A little more AHL wouldn't hurt his development. But if the only criteria is keeping up the players that would help the club the most right now, he wouldn't be going back down.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I thought he looked good. He didn't look slow to me... A little more AHL wouldn't hurt his development. But if the only criteria is keeping up the players that would help the club the most right now, he wouldn't be going back down.
This

Listen, I'm all against keeping him up for the season, I really am. by the same token though, it does nothing but boost his confidence and give him drive to get to the next level by keeping him up a little bit longer. I'm against anything more then 8 games, but your not ruining a player by having that the case. Did it ruin pacioretty. at all?

Get your heads on straight and stop freaking out about a minor issue

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think Louis earned at least another game with the Habs.. He has improved game after game.. Some players need bigger challenges and while I wouldnt go as far as saying Louis is wasting his time with the Bulldogs this year, he still has no quality guys to play with on a losy team.. He is the type of guy that raise his game when the challenge is bigger and I think playing with NHLers would help his development..
Leblanc will then have used up 4 out of 9 games I would give with the big team (and the next barrier will be closer to 25 but I doubt Leblanc will be up for 25 games this year) in the event he plays vs. Columbus.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

sing along to my song,.

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Kovatar

I would keep him with the team. First, he is actually helping us more than any of the other call ups from the AHL thus far this season. Second, the Bulldogs are lousy this year and although I would typically support letting him develop slowly through the AHL, I don t think this year's version of the Bulldogs will help Leblanc's development at all. When everyone is healthy this should be our line up:

Pacioretty Plekanec Gionta
Cole Desharnais Cammaleri
Leblanc Eller Kostitsyn
White Nokelainen Moen
Scratches: Darche

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Gill Diaz
(Weber)

Price
Budaj

Kovatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovatar View Post
I would keep him with the team. First, he is actually helping us more than any of the other call ups from the AHL thus far this season. Second, the Bulldogs are lousy this year and although I would typically support letting him develop slowly through the AHL, I don t think this year's version of the Bulldogs will help Leblanc's development at all. When everyone is healthy this should be our line up:

Pacioretty Plekanec Gionta
Cole Desharnais Cammaleri
Leblanc Eller Kostitsyn
White Nokelainen Moen
Scratches: Darche

Markov Emelin
Subban Gorges
Gill Diaz
(Weber)

Price
Budaj
AK46 can play LW and RW, Leblanc has shown best on RW. Personally I'd reverse Leblanc and Kostitsyn.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Habitant#1

Seems like a very intelligent player with good footspeed.

Looked a little hesitant and tentative at times, but that's normal. I'm very happy he's staying up for a bit, it'll be nice to see what he plays like once he settles in a bit.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote