HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

TB - Van

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2011, 08:34 AM
  #1
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
TB - Van

To Tampa Bay - Loungo and Lapierre

To Vancouver - Connolly, Purcell, Garon, 2012 1st

Why Van does it....they get a top prospect Connolly, an upgrade over Lappy (Purcell), a 1st round pick, a new back up goalie and don't have to pay a backup 6.5+ million dollars.

Why TB does it......Luongo gives them the star goalie they'll need come playoff time.

Flame away

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:36 AM
  #2
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes
 
Sayonara77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
No thanks from a canucks perspective. Not trading luongo for that package, and purcell is not an upgrade over lapierre. Although the value isn't all that laughable.

Sayonara77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:36 AM
  #3
Hulk Hogan*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,901
vCash: 500
Yzerman laughs at this; who is Loungo?

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:40 AM
  #4
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,604
vCash: 500
Garon 2.47 GAA .915 sv% 1.3 mill/year

Luongo 3.05 GAA .892 sv% 5.3 mill/year

The Lightning need premium defense, not goaltending, especially at the expense of 4 million in cap space, a top 6 forward, and a blue chip prospect.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:42 AM
  #5
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 500
1. Nobody wants Luongo on their team
2. Any Canucks fans that say they wouldnt trade Luongo for that package, shouldnt be posting here
3. Tampa has no reason to waste Connolly, a 1st round pick, Purcell and even Garon because right now Garon is doing better than Luongo, not to mention his contract is way way shorter and he is paid way way less money

Huge no from Tampa

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:46 AM
  #6
MisterT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
I think most people are pretty sure that Luongo retires as a Canuck. This was a brutal proposal.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:51 AM
  #7
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes
 
Sayonara77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
1. Nobody wants Luongo on their team
2. Any Canucks fans that say they wouldnt trade Luongo for that package, shouldnt be posting here
3. Tampa has no reason to waste Connolly, a 1st round pick, Purcell and even Garon because right now Garon is doing better than Luongo, not to mention his contract is way way shorter and he is paid way way less money

Huge no from Tampa
Yeah, you are right no wants a vezina finalist/jennings winner, gold medalist and a goalie who was one win away from winning the cup while posting two shutouts in the stanley cup finals. Just a terrible player, that no one really wants.

_______
Connolly is a nice prospect, and a 1st rd pick is decent but that's all there is. Purcell wouldn't really provide much on the forward depth, and garon is a mere backup.

There's no reason for the canucks to do this. Take your own advice and stop posting.

Sayonara77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:23 AM
  #8
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
Luongo has had a terrible start to this season, but IMO he is still capable of being an elite goaltender in this league. In any event he is a significant upgrade over Roloson and Garon. I think this is a good trade for both teams.

IMO Tampa is a cup contender and not because of Connolly, Purcell or Garon......Luongo only makes them better and increases their chances of winning it all this year.

Vancouver gives up a significant asset but it doesn't change much for them this year with Schneider taking over the reigns in Vancouver....They get a solid return for Luongo that will cement their prospect pool for years to come.

win-win

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:29 AM
  #9
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara77 View Post
Yeah, you are right no wants a vezina finalist/jennings winner, gold medalist and a goalie who was one win away from winning the cup while posting two shutouts in the stanley cup finals. Just a terrible player, that no one really wants.

_______
Connolly is a nice prospect, and a 1st rd pick is decent but that's all there is. Purcell wouldn't really provide much on the forward depth, and garon is a mere backup.

There's no reason for the canucks to do this. Take your own advice and stop posting.
Are you saying Luongo should not be traded at all? or are you saying he could fetch more of a return....if so, what do you think his value is at right now?

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:27 AM
  #10
sayheykid
Registered User
 
sayheykid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,832
vCash: 500
Yzerman says hell no, hangs up and proceeds to call 28 other GMs and says "You'll never believe the crap Gillis just tried to pull".


Last edited by sayheykid: 12-04-2011 at 02:32 PM.
sayheykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:40 AM
  #11
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Luongo has had a terrible start to this season, but IMO he is still capable of being an elite goaltender in this league. In any event he is a significant upgrade over Roloson and Garon.
Are you at least aware exactly how much an upgrade he is ?

Based on their career stats, having Luongo over Garon should mean a difference of around 25 goal over en entire season or one more goal allowed every 3.5 match.

Just a Luongo for Garon swap could be highly debatable. the 4 000 000$ cap hit difference can be invested wisely elsewhere and make up for the 24 goal difference.

Its not about who is the best goalie, in a salary cap world its who give the best performance/$ ratio.

Would you take Gomez for Lapierre? Gomez is a significant upgrade over Lapierre even if Gomez is not playing his best lately.

Just take a look at Florida and the Flyers this season. Florida lost the statistically best goalie since thew lockout in Vokoun and replaced him with a cheap theodore. Should not it be a catastrophe? Ho surprise they are having their best season since a long time.

The flyers have at last an elite goalie, their missing piece for a guarantee cup. Curiously they didnt improve in the ranking so far vs the last season.

and what about the cap space of Giguere reinvested elsewhere by toronto?

What if Vancouver never resigned Luongo ? Had Schneider as #01 and would use the 5 300 000$ for an upgrade upfront? How much worse a team would they be?


Last edited by palindrom: 12-04-2011 at 10:53 AM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:23 AM
  #12
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The bushes
Country: United States
Posts: 8,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara77 View Post
No thanks from a canucks perspective. Not trading luongo for that package, and purcell is not an upgrade over lapierre. Although the value isn't all that laughable.
Care to explain that one?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:37 AM
  #13
Hi-wayman
Registered User
 
Hi-wayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Are you saying Luongo should not be traded at all? or are you saying he could fetch more of a return....if so, what do you think his value is at right now?
No, Luongo should not be traded. Since we aquired Luongo, the Canucks have treated him as our franchise player. The players Gillis acquires and AV's coaching plan are all designed to build from the goal out with Luongo in goal.

AV has developed a very complex defense/ofense/puck control system that when it works is great, but if not executed properly can make various key players on the team look bad, including Luongo, Schnieder, Edler, Bieksa, the Sedins and Kesler.

Gillis and AV last week indicated that they are quite happy with Luongo & Schnieder in a goal tending tandem for this year and next. There are no pressing holes that the Canucks need to fill. If any changes are made, it will only be a tweek for a slight upgrade and not a major change. The core players today will be the core players of the Canucks next season also and Luongo is the main core player of them all.

The only player I could see being moved is Ballard and that is not because he is a bad player, but only that when he plays his best, the skills Ballard brings (north-south, puck carrying physical defenceman) does not fit well with the cycling defense/offese style of play he has the rest of the team playing. AV does not like players who take themselves out of the play to make a hit and AV's game plan does not include players who players who play a straight ahead north-south game. That is why Booth is also struggling a bit, but the jury is still out if Booth can change his style or not.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:52 PM
  #14
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Are you at least aware exactly how much an upgrade he is ?

Based on their career stats, having Luongo over Garon should mean a difference of around 25 goal over en entire season or one more goal allowed every 3.5 match.

Just a Luongo for Garon swap could be highly debatable. the 4 000 000$ cap hit difference can be invested wisely elsewhere and make up for the 24 goal difference.

Its not about who is the best goalie, in a salary cap world its who give the best performance/$ ratio.

Would you take Gomez for Lapierre? Gomez is a significant upgrade over Lapierre even if Gomez is not playing his best lately.

Just take a look at Florida and the Flyers this season. Florida lost the statistically best goalie since thew lockout in Vokoun and replaced him with a cheap theodore. Should not it be a catastrophe? Ho surprise they are having their best season since a long time.

The flyers have at last an elite goalie, their missing piece for a guarantee cup. Curiously they didnt improve in the ranking so far vs the last season.

and what about the cap space of Giguere reinvested elsewhere by toronto?

What if Vancouver never resigned Luongo ? Had Schneider as #01 and would use the 5 300 000$ for an upgrade upfront? How much worse a team would they be?
Yes I would do Gomez for Lapierre.

I would be more than happy to take Lapierre back on my favorite team!

I understand your argument that a player's value is related to his cap hit, but come on...Are you seriously saying Garon's value is almost equal to Luongo? If that is the case....why would any team pay a goaltender more than $2 million dollars and why would any team sign them for longer than a one year contract? Every team whould just sign short term goalies with the potential of getting hot for a short period of team.

If I was a Tampa fan I would pull this trigger in a heartbeat.

And, if I was a Vancouver fan, I would also pull this trigger.

But, I am a fan of neither team, so I guess I don't know what I am talking about.

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:58 PM
  #15
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,732
vCash: 50
I have no problem with the value of the trade, I think Vancouver makes out quite well. I don't fully understand why Tampa Bay would be fully content with this package however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
1. Nobody wants Luongo on their team
2. Any Canucks fans that say they wouldnt trade Luongo for that package, shouldnt be posting here
3. Tampa has no reason to waste Connolly, a 1st round pick, Purcell and even Garon because right now Garon is doing better than Luongo, not to mention his contract is way way shorter and he is paid way way less money

Huge no from Tampa
If you've read some the of the Vancouver fans reactions, and being a Leafs fan I don't expect you to understand logic, reason, or even team needs, you might understand that Vancouver's overall motivations to do this trade are as unlikely as the value coming back from Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Care to explain that one?
Lapierre is a center, is underrated as an offensive player, is great on the PK, and is pretty solid defensively. He's looked alot worse then he is because he has been with Weise and Volpatti all season, but Lapierre has been a solid addition to our line up. Purcell is....well a fantastic winger. We have plenty of his calibre already though, 2nd or 3rd line wingers that can play above their role when injuries or cold streaks happen. He's great, I'd love to have him, but if the proposal was Lapierre for Purcell straight up, I'd want to hold on to Lappy.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:01 PM
  #16
Sarcastic
Registered User
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,306
vCash: 500
Vancouver fans need to stop making Luongo proposals, they just don't work.

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:09 PM
  #17
pullyoursocksup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsFan2342 View Post
1. Nobody wants Luongo on their team
2. Any Canucks fans that say they wouldnt trade Luongo for that package, shouldnt be posting here
3. Tampa has no reason to waste Connolly, a 1st round pick, Purcell and even Garon because right now Garon is doing better than Luongo, not to mention his contract is way way shorter and he is paid way way less money

Huge no from Tampa
nucks DO NOT do this trade.

like it or not luongo is still a great goalie, and the canucks are not looking for any more soft forwards like purcell on the team.

yes connolly is intriguing, but not enough for the deal.

if the canucks were to trade luongo a young top-4 dman would have to come back + prospect + pick probably

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:10 PM
  #18
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara77 View Post
Yeah, you are right no wants a vezina finalist/jennings winner, gold medalist and a goalie who was one win away from winning the cup while posting two shutouts in the stanley cup finals. Just a terrible player, that no one really wants.

_______
Connolly is a nice prospect, and a 1st rd pick is decent but that's all there is. Purcell wouldn't really provide much on the forward depth, and garon is a mere backup.

There's no reason for the canucks to do this. Take your own advice and stop posting.
Yeah... except people want him for what he'd do for their team, not what he's done in the past. That's why Gomez isn't the most coveted player in the league right now. And no one wants a 5.3 million goalie who is above 3 GAA and below .9 SP on a cup favorite and has a contract running into the next millenium. If Vokoun could only get 1.5 for 1 year in the offseason Luongo's value is beyond negative.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:11 PM
  #19
waitin425
Registered User
 
waitin425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic View Post
Vancouver fans need to stop making Luongo proposals, they just don't work.
First off....Im not a Vancouver fan....

Secondly, Is Luongo not tradeable? Is there not a market for a top 10 goalie in this league?

I think with Schneider as their backup, Luongo can certainly be traded.

And I also think that a team with questionable goaltending, but a legitimate shot at the cup would be interested in him.

waitin425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:11 PM
  #20
pullyoursocksup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Care to explain that one?
nucks dont want any more borderline top 6 player. they have enough of those (raymond, higgins, booth, hodgson etc.)

they want to keep their bottom 6 fast and physical, which lapierre is, and he was just resigned at a great price.

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:15 PM
  #21
pullyoursocksup
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Yeah... except people want him for what he'd do for their team, not what he's done in the past. That's why Gomez isn't the most coveted player in the league right now. And no one wants a 5.3 million goalie who is above 3 GAA and below .9 SP on a cup favorite and has a contract running into the next millenium. If Vokoun got 1.5 for 1 year in the offseason Luongo's value is beyond negative.
luongo is not gomez. he just led his team to the finals like it or not. yes fans and media are all over him but he still has significant value. there is a big difference between a 7+ million cap hit player who hasnt had a good year in several years, and a goalie who is coming off of his best statistical year and a stanley cup finals appearance with 2 shutouts in the finals.

pullyoursocksup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:22 PM
  #22
ohnoeszz
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara77 View Post
No thanks from a canucks perspective. Not trading luongo for that package, and purcell is not an upgrade over lapierre. Although the value isn't all that laughable.
???

Lappy is great as a checking 3rd/4th liner but he doesn't see the ice or pass well enough to be worthy of 2nd line play with talented linemates. Purcell is a playmaking winger with size. He was great in the playoffs and just came off a 50 point year which he is on pace to repeat this year.

Absolute homerism. A straight up deal of Purcell for Lappy would be accepted by Gillis in a second, and then Purcell would look great next to Kesler and Booth.

ohnoeszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:29 PM
  #23
ProstheticConscience
Freeman?
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,466
vCash: 883
Just once I'd like someone to realize it's not Canucks fans who make proposals like this before responding.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:30 PM
  #24
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,738
vCash: 500
Switch Lapierre with Malhotra and take out the draft pick and it's better.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:35 PM
  #25
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Tampa needs help on defense more than they need Luongo.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.