HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Re-signing Josh Gorges (All Gorges contract talk here)

Old
11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
Is it possible that Canadiens cannot sign Gorges before January 1st 2012 ?

Maybe I'm wrong, but there's a mention of this in the CBA that you cannot extend a player on a one year contrat until january 1st.
Only if they went to arbitration, I think. Either way, it's been a "policy" not to extend the Habs pro players mid-season.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Only if they went to arbitration, I think. Either way, it's been a "policy" not to extend the Habs pro players mid-season.
Incorrect. According to section 50 f (iv) of the CBA, a player who is party to a one-year SPC may not enter into an “extension” of such SPC prior to 1 January of the League Year covered by such SPC. The time limit applies therefore equally to all players in one year contracts, irrespective of whether they have received the contract through arbitration, as RFA or even as UFA.

Since Josh Gorges is currently party to one-year SPC, Montreal and Gorges cannot formally agree extension until 1st January 2012. This has nothing to do with (possibly existing or non-existing) policy of not negotiating with players during the season.

Considering the abovementioned CBA provision, I would expect that no news regarding negotiations with Gorges will surface until January.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:01 AM
BigHabs

Why was Gorges not signed long term?

This summer with Gorges being only signed 1 year, some where saying it was a year deal to make sure his knee was fine and everything.

IMO this guy should have been locked up long term and given a decent salary amount instead of settling for 1 year. He has been worth every penny.

What gets me if the leg was an issue why was Markov given 3 years at the same exact salary something Markov. Gorges is not even making under even half of that.

Some say because its Markov and he is an allstar. But why not the same for Gorges, a lot more younger and most can say that he will probably be our next Captain.

Just now we are going to have to re-sign Gorges, Subban, Eller, Kostitsyn and Price.

I just don't understand why Gorges wasn't given the same treatment as Markov was given the benefit of the doubt and signed to a reasonable long term contract saving us possible cap space, but now we have to lock these guys up. Just don't understand the difference between Markov and Gorges. Too be honest I found Markov was more a risk than Gorges but Markov got the money he demanded where as possible future captain had to settle before almost making it to arbitration.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What about Andrei Kostitsyn? If he and Eller keep getting some sweet sweet chemistry going, I'd like to retain his services.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:03 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
What about Andrei Kostitsyn? If he and Eller keep getting some sweet sweet chemistry going, I'd like to retain his services.
Sorry I forgot he was in his last year, will edit.

Old
12-04-2011, 09:05 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Hotel View Post
This summer with Gorges being only signed 1 year, some where saying it was a year deal to make sure his knee was fine and everything.

IMO this guy should have been locked up long term and given a decent salary amount instead of settling for 1 year. He has been worth every penny.

What gets me if the leg was an issue why was Markov given 3 years at the same exact salary something Markov. Gorges is not even making under even half of that.

Some say because its Markov and he is an allstar. But why not the same for Gorges, a lot more younger and most can say that he will probably be our next Captain.

Just now we are going to have to re-sign Gorges, Subban, Eller, and Price.

I just don't understand why Gorges wasn't given the same treatment as Markov was given the benefit of the doubt and signed to a reasonable long term contract saving us possible cap space, but now we have to lock these guys up. Just don't understand the difference between Markov and Gorges. Too be honest I found Markov was more a risk than Gorges but Markov got the money he demanded where as possible future captain had to settle before almost making it to arbitration.
Habs asset management is woeful. Has been since Gainey and his stubborn refusal to negotiate contract extensions, which put uncertainty into players' heads during the season, and then took money out of the Habs coffers after the season. Or, we simply lost guys and got nothing back. AK, Gorges -- deja vu.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:11 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
If Gorges were captain material, I think he would have been signed to a long term deal. Fact is, he's not a leader. Never has been, never will be.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:12 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Dude, I have no clue. I really don't. We truly have some clowns running this team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
If Gorges were captain material, I think he would have been signed to a long term deal. Fact is, he's not a leader. Never has been, never will be.
And Markov is one? Stop it. Gorges is a good character guy and a solid player. He's loved by his teammates.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-04-2011 at 10:55 AM.
hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I think it was because he was coming off a knee injury and missed like 50 games

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
llamateizer

the big difference was that markov was UFA and Gorges RFA
if both were rfa, 1 year deal wouldve been signed for both

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:29 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
And Markov is one? Stop it. Gorges is a good character guy and a solid player. He's loved by his teammates.
I think there was a Kelowna joke in there somewhere...

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:30 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Someone help me out here. I said "not captain material", get it? No? C'mon people, we need a sticky for running jokes. I was all proud of myself for being the first to post this and all I get is crickets. I'm so upset right now, I'm going to kick my cat square in the nuts when I see her. Totally ****ing ruined my day. Hope you're happy.

Old
12-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Protest the Hero

Ask Gauthier.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:36 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
the big difference was that markov was UFA and Gorges RFA
if both were rfa, 1 year deal wouldve been signed for both
Actually the smarter thing to do was play hardball with Markov like they took the time to do with Gorges.

Sign him to a one year deal and see how his leg was, so we wouldn't be in a mess.

If we would of done that it would be like this:

Markov 1year/5.75mill - not play - LTIR - cap hit doesn't count

Next year get discount as he doesn't know when he will play again for sure and us not take the risk of dishing that money out, and were not on the hook for a possible 2 other years which we don't even know we will get out of him.

Gorges is alot younger had a leg surgery like Markov, I like the chances of a younger player being able to return than aging player liek Markov at 33yrs and getting older and has only seen limited action in the last 2 seasons where Gorges seen a 1full and a half seasons before going out with his injury.

Old
12-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Bill McNeal

Because Gorges thought he was more valuable than what the team was willing to offer on a long term deal.

The general consensus on this board in the summer was that Gorges was not a defenseman that was worth 3.5M+. I imagine his agent was asking for at least that much on a long term deal. Since then (in the first 1/4 of this NHL season) he's proven he is worth at least that much and probably much more on the open market.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:52 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Because Gorges thought he was more valuable than what the team was willing to offer on a long term deal.

The general consensus on this board in the summer was that Gorges was not a defenseman that was worth 3.5M+. I imagine his agent was asking for at least that much on a long term deal. Since then (in the first 1/4 of this NHL season) he's proven he is worth at least that much and probably much more on the open market.
Exactly and it will probably cost us possibly more to retain him now than the 3.5 which I would of be fine in doing over say 5 year or so . Now it might be 4mill possibly. We still have Subban, Price, Eller, and Kostitsyn as well. Then will have to help fill the holes of Spacek, Gill, Moen possibly leaving.

Old
12-04-2011, 10:02 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Actually the smarter thing to do was play hardball with Markov like they took the time to do with Gorges.

Sign him to a one year deal and see how his leg was, so we wouldn't be in a mess.

If we would of done that it would be like this:

Markov 1year/5.75mill - not play - LTIR - cap hit doesn't count

Next year get discount as he doesn't know when he will play again for sure and us not take the risk of dishing that money out, and were not on the hook for a possible 2 other years which we don't even know we will get out of him.

Gorges is alot younger had a leg surgery like Markov, I like the chances of a younger player being able to return than aging player liek Markov at 33yrs and getting older and has only seen limited action in the last 2 seasons where Gorges seen a 1full and a half seasons before going out with his injury.
Markov was a UFA meaning he had plenty of leverage and would likely have just signed in Detroit for 2 years 6 mil per if we hadn't signed him. I don't disagree about Gorges needing a long term deal but can you imagine what would have happened had he given both long term deals and then Gorges got injured after like 10 games... another knee injury?

You can't take too many risks like that but I do admit Gorges maybe should have been the one prioritized but since he was RFA this bought Gauthier time and made sure the other asset was signed as well.

Personally me I think at this point Gorges should be given a 5 year extension. It will give guys like Price and Subban an incentive to sign if their buddy Gorges is signed long term. Plus it shows management is committed to winning. Every team needs one Gorges. This all having been said I don't think the path Gauthier took was that bad of one but if we don't sign Gorges by July 1st I'll be super pissed.

Quote:
Exactly and it will probably cost us possibly more to retain him now than the 3.5 which I would of be fine in doing over say 5 year or so . Now it might be 4mill possibly. We still have Subban, Price, Eller, and Kostitsyn as well. Then will have to help fill the holes of Spacek, Gill, Moen possibly leaving.
100% true imo. We would have probably gotten him for 5 x 3.5, now we'll be giving him 5 x 4.0

At the end of the day it's an extra 500k of cap hit to retain a player we all love and is a good fit plus the way Gomez has been playing if ever cap space for Price/Subban became an issue you can be sure he'd be buried or worst case scenario bought out.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Ban worthy. Terrible material lol

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Padrino86

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
100% true imo. We would have probably gotten him for 5 x 3.5, now we'll be giving him 5 x 4.0

At the end of the day it's an extra 500k of cap hit to retain a player we all love and is a good fit plus the way Gomez has been playing if ever cap space for Price/Subban became an issue you can be sure he'd be buried or worst case scenario bought out.
Good luck getting Gorges signed at 4mil for 5 years... I can see him getting 4.5per, possibly up to 5 on the UFA market. Just look at some of the contracts..

Padrino86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:35 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Dude, I have no clue. I really don't. We truly have some clowns running this team.
Seriously, they make so many mistakes, they should wipe the front office clean from top to bottom.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gorges would have been signed long term if he wasn't coming off major surgery.

I think we'll see him sign for 4-5 years at around 3.5-3.75/year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
Good luck getting Gorges signed at 4mil for 5 years... I can see him getting 4.5per, possibly up to 5 on the UFA market. Just look at some of the contracts..
The got Plekanec extended at 5 mil/year and he wanted to stay just like Gorges. I can't see the cap hit being any more than 3.5-3.75, you're dreaming in colour looking at 5 mil/year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

I think we'll see him sign for 4-5 years at around 3.5-3.75/year.

Whether Gorges stays or goes may be an indicator as to what Price will end up doing. If Gorges walks, my guess is that CP may want to explore his UFA options in a few years too. They are pretty tight.

Old
12-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
Wow, Gorges is 1st in the league in blocked shots?

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:35 PM
gusfring

If Peter Chiarelli was our GM - he'd already be signed.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Remind me why they signed Markov on a 3 year deal again?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote