HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Future HHoF Members with Flyers Ties

View Poll Results: Who Do You Think Will One Day Be Elected To The HHoF
Fred Shero 19 39.58%
Tim Kerr 2 4.17%
Eric Lindros 28 58.33%
Rod Brind'Amour 18 37.50%
Mark Recchi 30 62.50%
Eric Desjardins 3 6.25%
Other - Please List 3 6.25%
All of the Above 2 4.17%
None of the Above 1 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2011, 12:53 PM
  #26
CTU2fan
Registered User
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
DAMN!!!... How could I have forgotten about one of my all time favorites? I guess I just wasn't thinking goalies... I certainly would have included him for the way he was innovative and a forerunner of all the great stick handling, puck control goalies that came after... That said, I would bet he never gets a whiff of the Hall without buying a ticket, and to me that is a real shame.
I agree with you, I don't think he'll ever get in. But people who weren't fans when he played really don't understand the impact he had...Flyers games, particularly in his first few years, were must-see for hockey fans because of Hextall. Between the possibility of him scoring a goal, and the possibility he might blow a gasket and go nuts on somebody.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:25 PM
  #27
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I agree with you, I don't think he'll ever get in. But people who weren't fans when he played really don't understand the impact he had...Flyers games, particularly in his first few years, were must-see for hockey fans because of Hextall. Between the possibility of him scoring a goal, and the possibility he might blow a gasket and go nuts on somebody.
I once believed that a Cup win for him would get him in the HHoF... In retrospect I guess his lack of good numbers over his career, when the length of his career is considered, would preclude his induction.

That said, it has to be taken into account that his final Flyers totals in wins and games, both Regular and Postseason IIRC are greater than HHoF member Bernie Parent... The main difference, and they are huge ones, is the two Cups and two Conn Smyth Trophies (Hexy had one as the losing Goalie) and the spectacular numbers Bernie had in those two Cup winning seasons and Postseasons... So, IDK, maybe a Cup win would have been enough, when you add it to his status as an innovative NHL player.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:42 PM
  #28
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Pronger is a lock. Jagr is a lock.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
  #29
Tags27
Registered User
 
Tags27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Flyers bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Based on talent, he absolutely should be in. The problem is games played (like with Forsberg)
See: Neely, Cam

Tags27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
  #30
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I once believed that a Cup win for him would get him in the HHoF... In retrospect I guess his lack of good numbers over his career, when the length of his career is considered, would preclude his induction.

That said, it has to be taken into account that his final Flyers totals in wins and games, both Regular and Postseason IIRC are greater than HHoF member Bernie Parent... The main difference, and they are huge ones, is the two Cups and two Conn Smyth Trophies (Hexy had one as the losing Goalie) and the spectacular numbers Bernie had in those two Cup winning seasons and Postseasons... So, IDK, maybe a Cup win would have been enough, when you add it to his status as an innovative NHL player.
I think the general belief on Hexy is that he had one great season (his rookie year), one very good season (1995-96), several good ones and just as man injury prone/underacheiving ones.

Honestly, I think all the groin pulls forced him to change his style and he went from a very fluid and athletic goalie to more a flopper/guesser who remained an excellent puck handler. He still had a fine career but not a HHOF one, despite his extraordinary puck-handling prowess.

Just a quick factual correction. It was Reggie Leach, not Bernie, who won the Conn Smythe in 1976 when the Flyers lost in the Finals to the Canadiens. Bernie was injured, and Wayne Stephenson was in goal. Bernie won the Conn Smythe in both '74 and '75 Cup rins.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:32 PM
  #31
Pyzik
Registered User
 
Pyzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
If Lindros don't get in the HOF........He will be the best player NOT to get into the hall in my opinion.He was absolutely a beast when he was not concussed.
I think this Honor goes to Adam Oates, Best Player not in....

Pyzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
  #32
Pyzik
Registered User
 
Pyzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Also as with Hextall...he should be in under the merit that the hall is for the "greats" and guys who "revolutionized the game"...Hexy changed how the Goaltender played....that should be the debating point for his induction.

Same with Shero...He revolutionized the coaching position....everyone talks about Roger Neilson was the first to include video in coaching...it was actually Shero. Shero also was the first to do the morning skate, and add assistant coaches to a team....all staples in todays game.

Pyzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
  #33
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
I think the general belief on Hexy is that he had one great season (his rookie year), one very good season (1995-96), several good ones and just as man injury prone/underacheiving ones.

Honestly, I think all the groin pulls forced him to change his style and he went from a very fluid and athletic goalie to more a flopper/guesser who remained an excellent puck handler. He still had a fine career but not a HHOF one, despite his extraordinary puck-handling prowess.

Just a quick factual correction. It was Reggie Leach, not Bernie, who won the Conn Smythe in 1976 when the Flyers lost in the Finals to the Canadiens. Bernie was injured, and Wayne Stephenson was in goal. Bernie won the Conn Smythe in both '74 and '75 Cup rins.
Bill, please read what I wrote again on that... I said Hexy won the Conn Smythe as a losing goalie and also mentioned Bernie won two. IIRC both Leach, as you pointed out, won one in that loss to the Habs, after a great Postseason... and Hextall also won in the seven game loss to the Oilers.

As for Hextall being HHoF worthy... I guess my heart was writing what my head should have not wrote... Hexy didn't have as many real good years. My point I suppose was that Bernie really had those two great seasons with two Cups... but I guess he had enough other good ones before his career was cut short with the eye injury... With that Hexy was able to amass more wins over his Flyers career.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:50 PM
  #34
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Bill, please read what I wrote again on that... I said Hexy won the Conn Smythe as a losing goalie and also mentioned Bernie won two. IIRC both Leach, as you pointed out, won one in that loss to the Habs, after a great Postseason... and Hextall also won in the seven game loss to the Oilers.

As for Hextall being HHoF worthy... I guess my heart was writing what my head should have not wrote... Hexy didn't have as many real good years. My point I suppose was that Bernie really had those two great seasons with two Cups... but I guess he had enough other good ones before his career was cut short with the eye injury... With that Hexy was able to amass more wins over his Flyers career.
See it now -- my bad.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:06 PM
  #35
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul
 
Sawdalite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Girouxsalem
Posts: 5,331
vCash: 500
Okay... Someone here -- and you know who you are -- voted for all the players individually... AND for 'Other'... AND 'All of the above'... AND 'None of the above'.




Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
  #36
CTU2fan
Registered User
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyzik View Post
Also as with Hextall...he should be in under the merit that the hall is for the "greats" and guys who "revolutionized the game"...Hexy changed how the Goaltender played....that should be the debating point for his induction.

Same with Shero...He revolutionized the coaching position....everyone talks about Roger Neilson was the first to include video in coaching...it was actually Shero. Shero also was the first to do the morning skate, and add assistant coaches to a team....all staples in todays game.
And I think this is why Lindros belongs in. Granted the concussions really derailed his career, but the impact he had in a short time really can't be overstated. The combination of size, strength, and skill in Lindros were unheard of.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.