HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Eager

Old
12-01-2011, 10:38 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Actually, he wasn't, but I will. Initially, according to reports, it was Brule and a 5th, then it became Fraser and a 7th. He got rid of a more useless player and a less pick for this team's best forward. Credit, earned.

Just because Smyth wanted to come back just to Edmonton, doesn't mean Tambellini can't get credit for making a truly one sided deal for the franchise.

Actually it is very rare that a circumstance like Smyths returns anything of value back. I guess you could argue that Tambo deserves credit for not screwing it up royally.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 09:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Oiler View Post
My point was that LA dumped this salary and we cannot look at what we gave up and how good we did. I love Smytty as much as anyone but it's not fair to say we fleeced Lombardi when LA did what they wanted to. Get rid of salary.

And sorry to say but anyone outside of Edmonton thinks $6 million is far too much for Smytty. Even after his decent start.
They didn't want to get rid of Smytty. They wanted him for the exact same reasons that Oil fans wanted him. Bring a good work ethic and is good for 20-20.

You really think they wanted that cap space so they can go out and sign Gagne? A guy who you never know what your going to get over a full year.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Eddy Oiler*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They didn't want to get rid of Smytty. They wanted him for the exact same reasons that Oil fans wanted him. Bring a good work ethic and is good for 20-20.

You really think they wanted that cap space so they can go out and sign Gagne? A guy who you never know what your going to get over a full year.
I guess what I meant is Tambo was not giving up valuable assets AND taking on an aging player making $6 million. And as much as people here say LA didnt want to lose him I have no doubts whatsoever that Lombardi jumped at the chance to dump the salary and use the dollars elsewhere.

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote