HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks' Hamhuis Showing his Offensive Upside

Old
12-04-2011, 03:34 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Canucks' Hamhuis Showing his Offensive Upside

In his junior career and early in his NHL career with Nashville, Hamhuis was more of two way player. In his second year with the Preds he put up 38 points playing on the second unit PP.

However Nashville needed him to play a defensive shut down role and he put his offensive skills on hold. In Vancouver with the departure of Christian Ehrhoff he is being asked to contribute more offensively and he has delivered with 14 points (two goals, 12 assists) in 25 games and is on pace for 46 points.
“I didn’t use those skills as much there in Nashville when I played more of a defensive role,” said Hamhuis. “Now, I think I’m going back to a role that I had more when I was in junior and in the minors. I think it’s about becoming a better player, too. There’s a lot of focusing before games and working skills in practice trying to get better at it.”
“I was a young guy, my third year in the league, and when I was playing against top lines my focus was on defensive responsibility,” said Hamhuis. “We had guys they wanted in the offensive role. I enjoyed the challenge of that (defensive) role, but my offensive game probably did get a little bit rusty. I developed more defensive habits on the ice. I enjoy the offensive side of the game, so it’s nice to have the opportunity to be more offensive now.”
“Even though I never played much on the power play in Nashville, I went to all the meetings and did it here, too,” he said. “You never know when you’re going to get an opportunity. It could be an injury or somebody’s in the penalty box or they want to switch it up. I just want to be prepared.”
http://www.theprovince.com/Canucks+H...#ixzz1fYaVWsL5

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:39 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
One thing that's very noticeable about Hamhuis, is that he's very smart with his shots from the point. How often do you see one of Hamhuis' shots get blocked, only to go out of the zone? Not much, if at all. He doesn't shoot it hard, but he wrists the puck on net, and it works a lot in generating chances.

He's a smart all around NHL defensemen, in which we all take for granted. I've been happy since day one when we signed him. He'll never be a defensive liability out there.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
One thing that's very noticeable about Hamhuis, is that he's very smart with his shots from the point. How often do you see one of Hamhuis' shots get blocked, only to go out of the zone? Not much, if at all. He doesn't shoot it hard, but he wrists the puck on net, and it works a lot in generating chances.

He's a smart all around NHL defensemen, in which we all take for granted. I've been happy since day one when we signed him. He'll never be a defensive liability out there.
And he is not an offensive black hole.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Kagee*

I don't have much faith in his shot scoring abilities, but he has surprised me with his surprise sneak shots.

If he gets more pp duty, his assists should rise.

But I really see him being a 5-7 goal, 25-35 assist per year dman at best.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Putting up points quietly with solid passes and smart shot selections. Would be nice if we could get another D who could focus purely on shutdown defense so Hamhuis doesn't get over worked during the regular season.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Putting up points quietly with solid passes and smart shot selections. Would be nice if we could get another D who could focus purely on shutdown defense so Hamhuis doesn't get over worked during the regular season.
It's kind of funny a offensive dman really absolutely needs a dominate defensive dman to let said dman gain points offensively, unless your a Norris trophy dman winner/candidate.

Old
12-04-2011, 04:11 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

he's money for my pool i can just count on an assist a night these days it seems

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:23 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
We need another defensemen regardless, just for the sake of having a good defense again.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:13 AM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

vCash: 50
What a stud

John Swartzwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:49 PM
thenextone

Just reading that quote confirms my suspicion that Hamhuis and Salo are the only guys on the blue line with any sort of hockey IQ.

Bieksa, Ballard, Edler, Alberts and Rome are all somewhat mentally challenged back there, but Hamhuis just reads plays so well.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Shareefruck

You know, if he keeps this up, he gets to Norris-level much more realistically than Edler, IMO.

I've always liked his offensive game. He has great control with the puck and with his decision-making.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
You know, if he keeps this up, he gets to Norris-level much more realistically than Edler, IMO.

I've always liked his offensive game. He has great control with the puck and with his decision-making.
looove 'huis... but he'll never be a Noris guy IMO. He's "quietly" good.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Karl Hungus

Hamhuis has been such a pleasant surprise this year. You could always tell he had offensive talent with the way he sees the ice and skates so smoothly. He seems better at getting his shot through this season. His main asset is that he holds the puck and makes plays with his head up which really plays into our system of moving parts and snappy puck movement on the PP.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Hamhuis has looked really good on the PP. He's also critical on the PK so guess what, his minutes will go up exponentially (25 against nashville i believe).

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
Just reading that quote confirms my suspicion that Hamhuis and Salo are the only guys on the blue line with any sort of hockey IQ.

Bieksa, Ballard, Edler, Alberts and Rome are all somewhat mentally challenged back there, but Hamhuis just reads plays so well.
I think this is pretty unfair to Edler and Rome who are both smart hockey players (Maybe slightly below Hamhuis/Salo, but certainly not by much). Edler still makes some poor reads at times but no more so than your average top four D-man in this league. And Rome may not have any offensive IQ but he reads the play defensively extremely well. Definitely has hockey smarts, just lacks any talent.

Bieksa is hard to get a read on. I mean from December of last year until Hamuis got hurt in the finals he was arguably the team's most reliable D-man besides Hamhuis. So is it hockey smarts Bieksa lacks, or just motivation? Ballard I sadly have to agree on, amazing how poor he reads the ice both with and without the puck. Alberts is also not very smart on the ice.

Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
timorousme
luongod

there is no way edler is a dumb hockey player

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
there is no way edler is a dumb hockey player
He makes every bit as bad decisions on the offensive and defensive side of the puck as Bieksa from time to time and has gotten a lot more of a pass.

I think both are great dmen.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:20 PM
windflare

Edler is more consistently solid in the defensive zone, much more so than Bieksa.

Don't know how one can objectively say that they are equal in that regard.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Edler is more consistently solid in the defensive zone, much more so than Bieksa.

Don't know how one can objectively say that they are equal in that regard.
Agreed, Edler is hands down the best dman on the Canucks bar none.

Old
12-04-2011, 03:40 PM
thenextone

Edler has physical talent thats probably unmatched by any defender on the team. The guys decision making is just very poor.

I agree I may have been hard on Rome.

thenextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
He makes every bit as bad decisions on the offensive and defensive side of the puck as Bieksa from time to time and has gotten a lot more of a pass.
Except for a good part of last season - not even close. Edler, who admittedly has been inconsistant at times; at least he hasn't been poor on the defensive side of the game *most* night this season and for the several seasons before last year. When you're approaching Ballard levels (or worse) many nights this season - you're bad.

You're the highest paid defenseman on the blueline & have been for a number of years now (other than last year) - that means you get greater scrutiny.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Agreed, Edler is hands down the best dman on the Canucks bar none.
I disagree. When Salo is healthy, I'd place him as our best and most reliable defense-man. I hate using the word, but Salo is quite underrated as a hockey player and he's quietly brilliant when he's healthy and on his game.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
I don't have much faith in his shot scoring abilities, but he has surprised me with his surprise sneak shots.

If he gets more pp duty, his assists should rise.

But I really see him being a 5-7 goal, 25-35 assist per year dman at best.
If he puts up 35+ points while being the defensive stalwart he is, that's amazing. Plain and simple.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Russian_fanatic

Reminds me of former Canuck Mattias Ohlund to be honest. Physical, smart, good offensively, defensively, and always calm.

Russian_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:28 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topp Spin View Post
I disagree. When Salo is healthy, I'd place him as our best and most reliable defense-man. I hate using the word, but Salo is quite underrated as a hockey player and he's quietly brilliant when he's healthy and on his game.
Salo is always in the right position. Hamhuis is great as well. I would say they're both tied.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote