HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2011, 02:49 PM
kaboomski

vCash: 500
We like Winners

Central Ohio is accustomed to watching winners ie. Buckeyes, Clippers, Crew. Put a winning or at least competitive product on the ice and the "Barn" will be filled. Period.

Old
12-03-2011, 08:18 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

New Proposal as per HNIC Hot Stove:

No divisions, it is 4 "conferences". Home and Home with every team, first 2 rounds of playoffs in division, and re-seeding after that.

LA, ANA, SJ, VAN, CGY, EDM, COL, PHO

MTL, TOR, OTT, BOS, BUF, FLA, TB

DET, CHI, STL, MIN, NSH, CBJ, WPG, DAL

PHI, PIT, NYR, NYI, NJ, WSH, CAR

Old
12-03-2011, 08:55 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

No divisions, it is 4 "conferences". Home and Home with every team, first 2 rounds of playoffs in division, and re-seeding after that.

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is the Snowbird Conference (FLA and TB). I'm not a fan of first 2 playoffs within the division, but overall this is way better than it is now. Watch Detroit start crying that they're not in one of the 7-team conferences!

Old
12-03-2011, 10:36 PM
FANonymous

Not a fan of the most recent proposal from a CBJ standpoint. It doesn't get them into the east which would be important if the league switches to a different scheduling model a few years after this "play everybody home and home" phase. Everybody other than CBJ and Det are central timezone.

It takes all the benefits of moving either Detroit OR Columbus to the east and demolishes them. At least if Detroit got moved they would be replaced by a team like Dallas or Minnesota, teams we struggle with but aren't of the top end caliber of Detroit. Instead we just add more teams into the division [conference?] that we already struggle to compete in.

Old
12-04-2011, 06:51 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

Toronto is already on record opposing this. They will push hard to kill the home and home with every team due to travel cost. I'd expect most of the Eastern powers (Montreal, NYR, PHL, PITT, BOS etc.) to line up with them and kill that component.

Old
12-04-2011, 10:17 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Not a fan of the most recent proposal from a CBJ standpoint. It doesn't get them into the east which would be important if the league switches to a different scheduling model a few years after this "play everybody home and home" phase. Everybody other than CBJ and Det are central timezone.

It takes all the benefits of moving either Detroit OR Columbus to the east and demolishes them. At least if Detroit got moved they would be replaced by a team like Dallas or Minnesota, teams we struggle with but aren't of the top end caliber of Detroit. Instead we just add more teams into the division [conference?] that we already struggle to compete in.
I agree. IMO, this might be the worst proposal I have seen.

Old
12-04-2011, 10:26 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

While its isn't as bad as the situation now, it would be another "half-fix" for the CBJ, stuck in the Mid-American Purgatory Division, the only solace would be that Detroit is still stuck with the same travel situation we would be....

Said it before and I'll say it again, any proposal NOT ending in the CBJ playing an Eastern Time Zone-dominated schedule is a loss for this team.

Old
12-04-2011, 10:54 AM
CapnCornelius

NY Post says NHLPA is strongly opposed to this plan. While PA doesn't get an official vote, with CBA ending soon, I don't see this radical change going through for next season.

Old
12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

This is from AP in today's Dispatch:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-meetings.html

Proposed Divisions:

WEST:

Division 1
Columbus or Detroit
Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Division 2
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

EAST:

Division 1
Columbus or Detroit
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Toronto

Division 2
Carolina
Florida
New Jersey
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Washington

Old
12-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
The way I see it, whether it "makes sense" or not, Detroit is going to get precedence moving East unless there is some sort of relatively radical realignment. Since that is the case, I think this "home and home vs everybody" with less-than-ideal (for us) realignment idea would, if not benefit the Jackets, at least make the rest of the league understand what we've been dealing with travel-wise since day one.

Obviously though, the East as it stands now is going to be very powerful and influential when it comes down to this, so I can't imagine Toronto, Montreal, Boston, et. al. caving to anything which upsets the status quo for them.

Old
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Hipster Letestu

This is the setup I would use

ORR CONFERENCE

EAST
Boston Bruins
Montreal Canadiens
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
Toronto Maple Leafs

CENTRAL
Columbus Blue Jackets
Detroit Red Wings
Ottawa Senators
St. Louis Blues
Winnipeg Jets

WEST
Anaheim Ducks
Colorado Avalanche
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks

HULL CONFERENCE

NORTHEAST
Buffalo Sabres
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
New Jersey Devils
Washington Capitals

SOUTH
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
Tampa Bay Lightning

NORTHWEST
Calgary Flames
Chicago Blackhawks
Edmonton Oilers
Minnesota Wild
Vancouver Canucks

Old
12-04-2011, 06:58 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

This week may just be critical to the future of this sorry franchise. Moving to the East would be just the reboot the CBJ, and what's left of its fanbase, needs.

Old
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
This week may just be critical to the future of this sorry franchise. Moving to the East would be just the reboot the CBJ, and what's left of its fanbase, needs.
I think before the Arena deal was made public, yes, absolutely... I posted this earlier in the thread before the Arena deal was announced, that if we didn't get the move to the East that this franchise wouldn't be tenable much longer in Columbus.

Right now, I think its still a game changer for the future, just not in the sense of the overarking theme of this team just surviving as a franchise (which the arena deal pretty much assures with a few decades worth of time for this team to get its act together) but thriving, which I think this organization can do within a relatively short window of maybe 3 or 4 years after a move to the East. Had no progress been made and reached to broker the deal on the Arena (or it went to a public vote and failed spectacularly, which is expected) and the BoG voted down the Jackets to migrate conferences, that would have been the death knell for this franchise in Columbus.... It might have been a death that lingered for a few more seasons, but nothing could have saved the franchise in Columbus then....

I agree totally though that if this falls through for the Jackets and the organization is left, at best, in the "Mid American Conference", its still a loss...

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-04-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old
12-04-2011, 08:49 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I agree totally though that if this falls through for the Jackets and the organization is left, at best, in the "Mid American Conference", its still a loss...
Agreed. I don't think we could beat the Miami RedHawks this year!

Old
12-05-2011, 08:19 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

Briiliant!

Old
12-05-2011, 08:30 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I heard Brian Burke say on TSN that the Maple Leafs are totally opposed to the 4 division format with a home and home with every other team. I also believe the pwer teams in the East would side with the Leafs.

In todays Dispatch:

Quote:
A strong group of Eastern Conference owners could form a bloc against a new four-division format, and against the leaguewide home-and-home schedule format that would lessen the travel disparity between the two conferences.

“They’ve got it pretty good in the East right now,” one league executive said last night. “Why would they give that up?”It could prompt a move that would keep the league as it is today other than sending Winnipeg to the Western Conference and either Detroit or the Blue Jackets to the East.

The worst scenario for the Blue Jackets would be the Red Wings heading to the East and Winnipeg taking Detroit’s place in the Central Division.
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...roit-swap.html

Old
12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I heard Brian Burke say on TSN that the Maple Leafs are totally opposed to the 4 division format with a home and home with every other team. I also believe the pwer teams in the East would side with the Leafs.

In todays Dispatch:

It could possibly end up in a scenario like this, the only bone that we'd be praying that they throw Columbus' way then would be to rework the schedule for the Western Conference to lighten the travel burden during the season....

Still seems bad, with a team that has had the worst vs. division record the last 12 years, I'm not convinced our chances at winning the central would be all that much greater with Detroit out and Winnipeg in.... Need not say that Columbus would be the only team that needs to cross time zones almost nightly.

A section of the league is still going to get screwed with new alignment, no matter what.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-05-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old
12-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Is there any doubt whatsoever who is going to get the shaft in this deal? The least respected team in the league (us) will be the only eastern team in the west and no one will give a rats ass what happens to the CBJ! The wimpy owners and management of this franchise will come home with their tails between their legs just like the team does after a road trip. Until we become consistent winners it will always be this way!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:01 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
It could possibly end up in a scenario like this, the only bone that we'd be praying that they throw Columbus' way then would be to rework the schedule for the Western Conference to lighten the travel burden during the season....

Still seems bad, with a team that has had the worst vs. division record the last 12 years, I'm not convinced our chances at winning the central would be all that much greater with Detroit out and Winnipeg in.... Need not say that Columbus would be the only team that needs to cross time zones almost nightly.

A section of the league is still going to get screwed with new alignment, no matter what.
I think the hockey universe is drawing back it's foot to deliver a kick to the CBJ crotch. With the opposition of the East to change the travel format, I'm afraid Detroit gets their way and moves east, Chicago loses their best rival and becomes the only O6 team in the West, and Cbus becomes the only Eastern Time Zone team in the West. Damn, damn and damn!

I'm still delighted to have the NHL in my town, under any circumstances, but it looks like they're doing all they can to force us out. Bettman can't be happy with this scenario, since he was a big supporter of our franchise, so I'll hold out a sliver of hope that he can thwart their evil plan to destroy Columbus as a viable NHL market and force the Jackets to Canada!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:38 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Why cant they just split it 16-14? It would solve all of our problems.

Last edited by gojackets1: 12-05-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old
12-05-2011, 10:20 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Is there any doubt whatsoever who is going to get the shaft in this deal?
It wouldnt surprise me in the least if the CBJ gets shafted today & tomorrow.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:21 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I think the hockey universe is drawing back it's foot to deliver a kick to the CBJ crotch. With the opposition of the East to change the travel format, I'm afraid Detroit gets their way and moves east, Chicago loses their best rival and becomes the only O6 team in the West, and Cbus becomes the only Eastern Time Zone team in the West. Damn, damn and damn!

I'm still delighted to have the NHL in my town, under any circumstances, but it looks like they're doing all they can to force us out. Bettman can't be happy with this scenario, since he was a big supporter of our franchise, so I'll hold out a sliver of hope that he can thwart their evil plan to destroy Columbus as a viable NHL market and force the Jackets to Canada!
It sure seems like Moving Detroit to the East and Moving either Minny or Winny into that open spot in the Central is the key to "the path of least resistance" with the rest of the league, you are going to have some teams vote against it (the lower tier teams in the west that don't want Detroit leaving and the higher tier teams in the East that don't want Detroit in their specific divisions) but this seems like the easier way to keep a revolt and huge divisions within the BoG from breaking out and turning this into a potential stalemate... the CBJ's problems aren't deemed to be too severe to risk ticking off enough potential allies in the next round of Collective Bargaining and the the team's desires are sacrificed for the sake of league stability ahead of a potential work stoppage when the labor deal expires in a few years and Howson and Priest and Co. are potentially given a parting gift of potentially having "first consideration" for a the next available move to the East, pending more realignment or, at this point, unlikely, expansion.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-05-2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old
12-05-2011, 10:24 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

It is easy if we want to play in EC new divission must be not only changed teams. Because Detroit will be support in this not Columbus.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post

In todays Dispatch:

I'm sorry, but I still don't see the Detroit to the Southeast stuff shaking out like Portzline suggests it might (without any real support).

12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This is from AP in today's Dispatch:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-meetings.html

Proposed Divisions:

WEST:

Division 1
Columbus or Detroit
Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Division 2
Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

EAST:

Division 1
Columbus or Detroit
Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
Ottawa
Pittsburgh
Toronto

Division 2
Carolina
Florida
New Jersey
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Washington
This is what I'd be most happy with to be honest. Columbus should move east and detroit should stay West. The NE is the actual NE, while the Atlantic/SE only lose out on Philly/Pitts being separated.

Hope you guys get moved to the East, it would instantly help rebuild the Blue Jackets...

Closed Thread