HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 who's gonna be top dog?

Old
11-07-2011, 08:17 AM
YARR123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
I would like Swedens chances if we could get some better depth. Defense can probably be ok (Edler, Enström, Karlsson brings the offense+ a couple of good stay at home or twoway d-men), goaltending looks promising (Lundqvist+ some of the young promising guy might be a quality starter by then). But man we really lack depth on the forward side. We would be to heavily dependant on the Sedins, Bäckström, Zetterberg and Loui Eriksson, we need some secondary scoring and where will that come from?

I actually like the czechs forwards better since they can put out four good lines, while Sweden at the moment lacks a good bottom 6. This is the biggest issue for Sweden at the moment that seperates them from USA, Russia and Canada.
There are alot of good young Swedes already playing in the NHL, born 90-92 that can make a big difference by 2014. Some of OEL, Pääjärvi, Larsson, Hedman, Rundblad, Landeskog, Silfverberg, Johansson, Josefson (...the list goes on) may be beastly in 2 years, and it could well be that you guys don't need to worry about a bottom 6 when you can have a top-9 of offensive players. Obviously all of the before mentioned players won't make it huge but a few of them will for sure.

Sedins, Bäckström, Zetterberg and Eriksson are a good group of stars to build a team around, and should be depended on. It's not like it's a huge drop off after that, some of the guys listed there will be very good by then. I don't think you guys need to worry too much Your eastern neighbors however... we'll see

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
That team sure was a mess. I do, however, think the ice size did work against us. The boys looked lost out there.
I think the main reason they looked lost was the absence of Niedermayer. He could single-handedly beat the trap and they had nobody who could deal with it without him. Keith and Doughty will be there this time and Canada will have greater overall speed than ever before.

I think the final will be a repeat of Vancouver, unless Miller goes in the dumper between now and then.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:03 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I think the final will be a repeat of Vancouver.
Not on the big ice.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 04:52 PM
dan1el

My prediction:
QF:
Canada def. Germany
Finland def. Slovakia
Russia def. Czech Republic
Sweden def. USA

Semis:
Canada def. Russia
Sweden def. Finland

Bronze:
Finland def. Russia

Gold:
Canada def. Sweden

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:05 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
My prediction:
QF:
Canada def. Germany
Finland def. Slovakia
Russia def. Czech Republic
Sweden def. USA

Semis:
Canada def. Russia
Sweden def. Finland

Bronze:
Finland def. Russia

Gold:
Canada def. Sweden
I rikee. I rikee arot!!!

OttawaRoughRiderFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
llwyd

One sure prediction is that Finland will be underestimated (the team just won't be as good on paper as the very best teams of the tournament). The other is that Finland will most likely overperform on the ice. Ice, paper - two different materials, see... But even so, I doubt that we would actually win, I think Turin was our big chance (though I don't really remember what happened there, it could be that we won, the final is just a blank for me, just no recollection whatsoever.)

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I think, on the big ice, Canada and the US will be at a disadvantage. Our players look lost out there and I worry 2014 will not be any different.

Having said that...

My predictions for 2014 (as a Canadian) are :

Canada
Russia
Sweden
Finland
USA
Slovakia
Czech
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayToHelm View Post
I think the gold in Sochi is going to be very close between Canada, Russia, Sweden and USA. No disrespect to Finland, Slovakia and the Czechs but I don't think they can compete with the tops 4's depth and firepower

My Rankings and a few top players
1) Canada- Crosby, Stamkos, Perry, Keith
2) Sweden- The Sedins, Backstrom, Zetterberg, Lundqvist
3) USA- Parise, Kane, Miller, Kessel
4) Russia- Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Brzgalov
5) Findland- Koivu, Leino, Grandlund, Rinne
6) Slovakia- Gaborik, Chara, Hossa, Visnovsky
7) Czech Republic- Krejci, Plekanec, Vokun, Hemsky
No way Slovakia finishes above the Czechs twice in a row (2010, 2014). There is a bigger chance I win the lottery (not playing it)

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 01:54 PM
tikkanen5rings*

lol Finland getting the shaft again. Never under estimate Finland.
Finland will be a medalling team in Olympics as always. Propably 2nd or 3th they always over achieve.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 12-04-2011 at 03:26 PM.
tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:14 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
I've noticed a pattern thats gone on through the years since NHL players played in the Olympics. In 1998, Canada got knocked out earlier then expected, they win in 2002. In 2002, Sweden got knocked out earlier then expected and they win in 2006. In 2006, Canada got knocked out earlier then expected and they won in 2010. In 2010, Russia got knocked out earlier then expected so my prediction is going to be Russia.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
lol Finland getting the shaft again. Never under estimate Finland.
I think it's very hard to say. Sweden is going through a generational shift, which I'm a little concerned by, we'll no longer have Sundin/Forsberg/Lidström that we could always depend on in the past. Hopefully we'll be able to ice a very even team though, but I'm not at all convinced that we'll be a medal nation in 2014. Russia and Canada will most likely have very good teams, and USA or Finland could both end up shocking.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 12-04-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:47 PM
danyhabsfan

I dont get the big ice thing with USA and Canada.

Most top country best players are in the NHL and on small rink.

The only thing that could stop Canada and USA is if they build their team with tough power forward player (think Morrow, Lagenbrunner...)
instead of good skating player like Duchene.

danyhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 01:53 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
As much as I think every NHL Olympics hockey is Canada's to lose no country has repeated golds since the USSR in 84-88.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:11 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

NOBODY is Touching Canada for a long LONG time. What other nation could literally put together not one but 2 contending teams from the talent pool they have to pick from? Canada could do that EASILY.

What other team can match the firepower that the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf, perry and Nash will bring just to name a few? maybe the states but even they would be challenged to do it sense I never even spoke about the likes of JT RNH, Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle.

the only spot where Canada is no longer the best is in goal, unforunately that goes to that states with Miller Thomas, quick Howard Schinder etc.

However when you look at the offense and D that Canada can throw out there they are far and away the undisputed best
team going into Russia in 2014.

Speaking of Russia I don't fear the Russians at all not one bit. They do have some solid firepower up front in Ovie, Semin, Malkin Dats and likelyt nail as well but the D and goaltending is thin I would not be shocked if they didn't even medal much like they didn't in 2010 and if they don't I CAN'T WAIT to see the backlash that would follow in Russia.

I say the teams that will win medeals are

Canada with gold

USA with silver

Sewden with Bronze.

Thats right Russia will not medal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
NOBODY is Touching Canada for a long LONG time. What other nation could literally put together not one but 2 contending teams from the talent pool they have to pick from? Canada could do that EASILY.

What other team can match the firepower that the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Getzlaf, perry and Nash will bring just to name a few? maybe the states but even they would be challenged to do it sense I never even spoke about the likes of JT RNH, Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle.

the only spot where Canada is no longer the best is in goal, unforunately that goes to that states with Miller Thomas, quick Howard Schinder etc.

However when you look at the offense and D that Canada can throw out there they are far and away the undisputed best

Speaking of Russia I don't fear the Russians at all not one bit. They do have some solid firepower up front in Ovie, Semin, Malkin Dats and likelyt nail as well but the D and goaltending is thin I would not be shocked if they didn't even medal much like they didn't in 2010 and if they don't I CAN'T WAIT to see the backlash that would follow in Russia.

Canada with gold

USA with silver

Sewden with Bronze.

I'm beginning to wonder if you've seen international tournaments. If all this was true, why doesn't Canada win every Olympics? There's much more to it than who can muster the best team on paper, like a lot of people have mentioned in the thread. Canada is a favorite for sure, but saying "Noone is touching Canada for a long time" is ridiculously narrowminded.

Edit: Also, not even mentioning Finland when speaking about what country has the best goaltender line-up is pretty laughable.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 02:19 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if you've seen international tournaments. If all this was true, why doesn't Canada win every Olympics? There's much more to it than who can muster the best team on paper, like a lot of people have mentioned in the thread. Canada is a favorite for sure, but saying "Noone is touching Canada for a long time" is ridiculously narrowminded.

Edit: Also, not even mentioning Finland when speaking about what country has the best goaltender line-up is pretty laughable.
I just think Canada has to much talent to pick from. andf who knows what other stars will emerge for us over the next couple years. cause you now that the talent pool will only get bigger before 2014

Finland is deffently up there for goalie depth but I think the states the best in that area and as a Canadian I hate saying that cause I remember when we had 4 of the top 5 goalies in the world

Old
12-04-2011, 02:26 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
I see Russia coming way back up from where they ended up in 2010.

They're on home soil, and they've got a hell of a lot to prove since being humbled they way they were. Expect Ovechkin, Semin, etc to be fully motivated and looking for blood. Very surprised so few here think they'll medal.

And really, in a short tournament there's such a hair's breadth difference between the top 6 or 7 countries it's a toss up until we at least have an idea of rosters which won't be happening for a while yet.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Minister of Offence

Could see Sweden being exceptional on big ice by the time 2014 roles around.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 12-04-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:21 PM
bjtkyo

Quote:
Yeah Canada could definitely put together and A team and B team and do really well with both. Canada is unquestionably the deepest country in the world in terms of hockey talent.

But this tournament is about each country's 20 best players. In 2010, it didn't matter that we had guys like Stamkos, St. Louis, Giroux, Green, Letang, Tavares, and many others in the wings, because at the end of the day, it's still Crosby, Toews, and Iginla against Ovechkin, Datsyuk, and Malkin.

bjtkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtkyo View Post
Yeah Canada could definitely put together and A team and B team and do really well with both. Canada is unquestionably the deepest country in the world in terms of hockey talent.

But this tournament is about each country's 20 best players. In 2010, it didn't matter that we had guys like Stamkos, St. Louis, Giroux, Green, Letang, Tavares, and many others in the wings, because at the end of the day, it's still Crosby, Toews, and Iginla against Ovechkin, Datsyuk, and Malkin.
Yes it is and we have already how that matchup ended

Old
12-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I can't see Canada not winning at least a medal.

Their core team last year was relatively young, few players will not/might not return: Pronger, Neidermayer, Heatley, Boyle, Marleau, Morrow and Iginla are all getting older.

But look at the D, Doughty, Weber, Keith and Seabrook all returning? That's awesome. Add Letang, maybe Phaneuf, maybe Bogosian? Who knows.

We have so many young guys coming up that are big, strong and skilled to fill the holes.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I can't see Canada not winning at least a medal.

Their core team last year was relatively young, few players will not/might not return: Pronger, Neidermayer, Heatley, Boyle, Marleau, Morrow and Iginla are all getting older.

But look at the D, Doughty, Weber, Keith and Seabrook all returning? That's awesome. Add Letang, maybe Phaneuf, maybe Bogosian? Who knows.

We have so many young guys coming up that are big, strong and skilled to fill the holes.
Bogosian is American, we want Pietrangelo anyways.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 09:00 PM
bjtkyo

Quote:
Yes it is and we have already how that matchup ended
Yeah I think Canada will still have the top team in the world come 2014, and we have amazing depth (an awesome player like Bergeron was Canada's worst player at Vancouver), but saying we could ice 2 Olympic-caliber teams wasn't a good argument for Canada being the favourite.

At any rate, I'm just most excited about seeing some of our next generation of stars play on this level (guys like Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, RNH, E.Kane, Duchene, Skinner, Seguin).. not saying they'll all make it, maybe not even half of them will, but the ones that do will be a treat to watch play together.

bjtkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:13 AM
pouskin74*

Top dog is my neighbor dog!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:17 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:

Canada with gold

USA with silver

Sewden with Bronze.

amazing ...just amazing !

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
amazing ...just amazing !
Don't under estimate USA we almost beat Canada last Olympics if it wasn't for Crosbys goal I deff see USA finally bringing the gold back home baby!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote