HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Calling Mr. Shanahan!

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2011, 10:08 PM
leaponover

vCash: 500
Kind of hard not to hit someone in the head when they are leaning forward and staring at the puck. Was Fistric supposed to either not hit him at all and let him breeze by or scrunch down so he could hit him in the chest?

Old
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Kind of hard not to hit someone in the head when they are leaning forward and staring at the puck. Was Fistric supposed to either not hit him at all and let him breeze by or scrunch down so he could hit him in the chest?
Noone said he shouldn't have hit him, that is just dumb. What is so difficult in understanding that he jumped up into the contact with his head? Is Fister that dumb that he couldn't recognize a vulnerable player and just check him into the boards? Or is he that dirty that he loads up and jumps into all of his hits, which is why Dallas fans wouldn't recognize a legal hit if they saw one?

There's a real good clip on you tube of this genius FISTer, beating Eric Nystrom with his own helmet, so I would go with him being a total dumbass who will be spending less money on X-mas this year as well as have a few days off to do the dumb stuff morons do.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:44 AM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Not worthy of a suspension. A major penalty and game misconduct-yes.

edit: He should have kept is head up. There's a responsibility in the NHL to do this. He's not in junior anymore-he can't get away with stuff like this. Sucks he's hurt, but the truth is he shouldn't have been in the NHL yet anyways.

Old
12-05-2011, 12:48 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
how about a hip check, fistric is a great hitter but he hits to injure, not to break up plays whether or not those hits are to the head or not, they are dirty and dont belong in the game

Old
12-05-2011, 12:49 AM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
but the truth is he shouldn't have been in the NHL yet anyways.
he most definitely should be in the nhl

Old
12-05-2011, 12:59 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
he most definitely should be in the nhl
What has he proven, how has he earned? He's not ready yet-and it's painfully obvious.

Old
12-05-2011, 01:05 AM
mpisles

Quote:
What has he proven, how has he earned? He's not ready yet-and it's painfully obvious.
well his junior coach said he had nothing else to learn in portland and he had a strong training camp so I think he's earned the shot to be in the NHL this year, no question

Old
12-05-2011, 01:10 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpisles View Post
well his junior coach said he had nothing else to learn in portland and he had a strong training camp so I think he's earned the shot to be in the NHL this year, no question
The NHL is a BIG step up from junior. In junior he was playing very good against boys (no he did not dominate as many on here like to think he did)-the NHL is totally different. The AHL is even a big step up to the NHL (Jason Krog and Jeff Tambellini are two great examples)-and the AHL is an even higher level of play than junior.

Rushing players into the NHL isn't good for them. See Okposo and Bailey as prime examples of that.

Old
12-05-2011, 03:05 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
The NHL is a BIG step up from junior. In junior he was playing very good against boys (no he did not dominate as many on here like to think he did)-the NHL is totally different. The AHL is even a big step up to the NHL (Jason Krog and Jeff Tambellini are two great examples)-and the AHL is an even higher level of play than junior.

Rushing players into the NHL isn't good for them. See Okposo and Bailey as prime examples of that.
He's not ready. I don't know how many prospects we have to trade to see them do well we have to go through, but whatever it is, we apparently need a few dozen more before this nonsense ends.

He can't go to the AHL, so he should have stayed in juniors one more year so he could go to the AHL and learn the pro game.

It's like Bertuzzi, Isbister and countless others were just odd occurances. No, folks, it's the norm. Rush a young kid billed as a power foreward and you get a large sized dud.

Nino just wasn't playing well. His shot is good, but he doesn't get into position very well yet, his passing is OK but nothing great and he's not swift on hitting yet. His defense doesn't stand out as good or even noticeable. His game just lacks a ton.

Yet I read a lot of people blaming his slow game on him not being on Tavares or Bailey's line?

That said, there should be a suspension but there won't be one. Welcome to the NHL.

Old
12-05-2011, 03:23 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

I've been avoiding posting on this, but here goes....

The Isles fan in me wants to see Fistric punished, at least for a fine since he did that to a player on my favorite team. For the lack of respect the Isles seem to get at times, it would at least 'even the field' a little, and it would be nice to see a player held accountable for a hit that's about as borderline as it gets.

The hockey fan in me recognizes the hit as just what I typed above - borderline. Even if the shoe were on the other foot, I'd assume there'd be at least a fine or Shanahan making a statement against it or something. Yes, it's a pretty solid example of what a defensive d-man is to do when an attacking forward has his head down, but the fact remains - if the Isles do that to someone, I don't feel they'd get away with it. Dallas would **** bricks if Gillies did that to Daley, Glennie or any one of their kids.

Meh, it's hard to call. I'd rather see the Isles play at that level of physicality so they know as a group to keep their heads up & be aware of it so they can dish it right back to an opponent than have Gillies, Haley & Martin try to cripple half their roster when they meet next......but it's close.

I don't wish injuries on any other teams' players (except a select 'scum-of-the-earth' few), but the fact that not one Stars fan I can think of showed any concern for Niederreiter's condition before accusing Islander Country of phoning in the 'waaaaaambulance' doesn't give me much of an aversion to seeing some broken noses on their bench next time the teams meet. Maybe not concussions or a Penguins-style alley-whipping, but enough to put the myriad of less than sportsmanlike Stars fans in their place and to send them back to Texas bloody enough to leave a trail. Make 'em pay on NYI home ice and see if the less than intelligent Stars' fans have the same swagger when they have to ice an AHL roster just to get through a season.

Fair play & turnabout.

Old
12-05-2011, 03:43 AM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
He's not ready. I don't know how many prospects we have to trade to see them do well we have to go through, but whatever it is, we apparently need a few dozen more before this nonsense ends.

He can't go to the AHL, so he should have stayed in juniors one more year so he could go to the AHL and learn the pro game.

It's like Bertuzzi, Isbister and countless others were just odd occurances. No, folks, it's the norm. Rush a young kid billed as a power foreward and you get a large sized dud.

Nino just wasn't playing well. His shot is good, but he doesn't get into position very well yet, his passing is OK but nothing great and he's not swift on hitting yet. His defense doesn't stand out as good or even noticeable. His game just lacks a ton.

Yet I read a lot of people blaming his slow game on him not being on Tavares or Bailey's line?

That said, there should be a suspension but there won't be one. Welcome to the NHL.
Give me a brake, who are the multitude of prospects the Islanders ruined only to go elsewhere to succeed? Bertuzzi? He was run out of here on a rail, he was a locker room cancer and he sucked as an Islander and Isbister, ISBISTER??!! Jesus Christ man, lol.

Awwwwe, Nino wasn't playing well? Didn't get into positon well? And wasn't a stand out defensively? Best part is "He lacks a ton"? It's a wonder he can even stand up on his skates he is just so young and delicate.

Well smack me with a catfish can you tell everyone how many games Nino has played this year? "Well awe shuks Opie seems like that fellar only played in six, THAT'S 6 games" "But Paaww" Opie says" He ought be shuttin' down offenses and puttin' the biscuit in the basket every game by now" "No, Opie. You see in the game of hockey, it takes a feller more than a week to learn the ins and outs of the league before you can say he's stuck in the meuud". "Gee Paw, if that's the problem old Otis can just go tow him out".

You have to be kidding me, every prospect isn't Josh Bailey. Nino's own coach said there wasn't anything left for him in Juniors and he is a guy who would want him back more than anyone. Nino pulled his groin, sat out a bit, then got a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL and he was better than average. Would I rather him be in the AHL of course, but that can't happen, so it's juniors or the pros, I think the smart thing here would be to defer to his junior coach.

Nino will be fine, lets give the kid some time to adjust to the NHL before we go calling is development ruined or worse yet, blame his getting concussed on a cheap and dirty hit on him because YOU think he should be in juniors. I also love how everyone points to him not having his head up as evidence that he shouldn't be in the NHL, I guess Crosby shouldn't be there either. When I watch the video I see Nino looking right at that ********* FISTER, what exactly would you have done? Players who are veterans get caught all the time and on a dirty hit how was it Nino's fault. What a crock.

I've seen some really weak complaints and arguements in this place but this whining about Nino has to take the cake. SIX games folks, he has played in 6 games thois year, lets get a grip.

Old
12-05-2011, 07:20 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
Give me a brake, who are the multitude of prospects the Islanders ruined only to go elsewhere to succeed? Bertuzzi? He was run out of here on a rail, he was a locker room cancer and he sucked as an Islander and Isbister, ISBISTER??!! Jesus Christ man, lol.

Awwwwe, Nino wasn't playing well? Didn't get into positon well? And wasn't a stand out defensively? Best part is "He lacks a ton"? It's a wonder he can even stand up on his skates he is just so young and delicate.

Well smack me with a catfish can you tell everyone how many games Nino has played this year? "Well awe shuks Opie seems like that fellar only played in six, THAT'S 6 games" "But Paaww" Opie says" He ought be shuttin' down offenses and puttin' the biscuit in the basket every game by now" "No, Opie. You see in the game of hockey, it takes a feller more than a week to learn the ins and outs of the league before you can say he's stuck in the meuud". "Gee Paw, if that's the problem old Otis can just go tow him out".

You have to be kidding me, every prospect isn't Josh Bailey. Nino's own coach said there wasn't anything left for him in Juniors and he is a guy who would want him back more than anyone. Nino pulled his groin, sat out a bit, then got a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL and he was better than average. Would I rather him be in the AHL of course, but that can't happen, so it's juniors or the pros, I think the smart thing here would be to defer to his junior coach.

Nino will be fine, lets give the kid some time to adjust to the NHL before we go calling is development ruined or worse yet, blame his getting concussed on a cheap and dirty hit on him because YOU think he should be in juniors. I also love how everyone points to him not having his head up as evidence that he shouldn't be in the NHL, I guess Crosby shouldn't be there either. When I watch the video I see Nino looking right at that ********* FISTER, what exactly would you have done? Players who are veterans get caught all the time and on a dirty hit how was it Nino's fault. What a crock.

I've seen some really weak complaints and arguements in this place but this whining about Nino has to take the cake. SIX games folks, he has played in 6 games thois year, lets get a grip.
nino must have gifted the opposition at least 3 goals through his weak backchecking. that is one of the many facets of the game he is lacking in atm. Its so glaringly obvious he isnt ready, am really surprised that you see it so differently...

Old
12-05-2011, 07:51 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:

Thank you, I couldn't agree more.
And I guess Neilson has to go back to junior because he got caught with his head down against Buffalo and by a guy with a whopping 4 total NHL games played?!?! In a perfect world Nino would be in AHL, the rules do not allow it so he may take a few lumps.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Fantom

I watched this hit a few more times. This his is BORDERLINE at its worst. Nino needs to keep his head up. I do not want to see anyone get hurt but this hit is borderline. maybe a Major but a Suspension or fine is way to much IMO.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:48 AM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
nino must have gifted the opposition at least 3 goals through his weak backchecking. that is one of the many facets of the game he is lacking in atm. Its so glaringly obvious he isnt ready, am really surprised that you see it so differently...
"Glaringly obvious" After 6 games it is "Glaringly obvious"? Give me a break it is far too early and to blame Nino for getting hit by a cheapshot is pretty freaking low.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:15 AM
NineHoleGoal

Quote:
"Glaringly obvious" After 6 games it is "Glaringly obvious"? Give me a break it is far too early and to blame Nino for getting hit by a cheapshot is pretty freaking low.

I completely agree with TennesseeJedd on this. As a matter of fact, I just watched the video a couple more times and this has NOTHING TO DO WITH NINO HAVING HIS HEAD DOWN. Nino was looking at Fistric before Fistric even committed to making the hit. This is all about Nino driving hard through the neutral zone with the puck. He was watching Fistric but his body posture put his head lower than normal, but it wasn't a matter of staring down at the puck.

Fistric needs to be accountable for recognizing that a guy is in a vulnerable position. He totally sees Nino's body posture and then powers upwards on his skates putting his shoulder and upper arm right into Nino's head. If this isn't HEAD HUNTING I don't know what is! And believe me, I love the hitting aspect of the game. I think it's uber-crucial to having a winning hockey club. You don't see MM hitting dirty and he leads the league in hits. There are several other ways Fistric could have hit Nino. The honest answer is that Nino had his shoulder down and Fistric was scared to go shoulder to shoulder with him, so he took the cowardly way out and went shoulder to head. Nino would have levelled Fistric if they went shoulder to shoulder right there. Nino was driving hard and had tons of momentum moving through the neutral zone. Obviously Fistric doesn't understand the fine art of a hip check as that would have been the best legal play to make there.

Nino may not be perfect but he's here and he was improving every game. We have guys on this Islanders team that make just as many mistakes as Nino but have years of experience in the NHL. As mentioned earlier, if Nino is to blame for this then we must blame Crosby, Savard, and Nielsen for the hits they've taken during their careers.

And as far as player development goes, I think you have to take it on a case by case basis. You can't just say all players below 20 years old shouldn't be in the NHL. We wouldn't have Tavares or Hamonic if that were the case, and they're certainly ready.

Edit: Btw, David Ullstrom is ready for the NHL. Just in case some of you haven't noticed.

Last edited by NineHoleGoal: 12-05-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old
12-05-2011, 10:37 AM
luki here

Quote:
I cannot follow your argumentation. I believe that nino isnt ready for the nhl. Its neither because of his stats or of the hit, but because of the way he reacts to the play around him.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineHoleGoal View Post
I completely agree with TennesseeJedd on this. As a matter of fact, I just watched the video a couple more times and this has NOTHING TO DO WITH NINO HAVING HIS HEAD DOWN. Nino was looking at Fistric before Fistric even committed to making the hit. This is all about Nino driving hard through the neutral zone with the puck. He was watching Fistric but his body posture put his head lower than normal, but it wasn't a matter of staring down at the puck.

Fistric needs to be accountable for recognizing that a guy is in a vulnerable position. He totally sees Nino's body posture and then powers upwards on his skates putting his shoulder and upper arm right into Nino's head. If this isn't HEAD HUNTING I don't know what is! And believe me, I love the hitting aspect of the game. I think it's uber-crucial to having a winning hockey club. You don't see MM hitting dirty and he leads the league in hits. There are several other ways Fistric could have hit Nino. The honest answer is that Nino had his shoulder down and Fistric was scared to go shoulder to shoulder with him, so he took the cowardly way out and went shoulder to head. Nino would have levelled Fistric if they went shoulder to shoulder right there. Nino was driving hard and had tons of momentum moving through the neutral zone. Obviously Fistric doesn't understand the fine art of a hip check as that would have been the best legal play to make there.

Nino may not be perfect but he's here and he was improving every game. We have guys on this Islanders team that make just as many mistakes as Nino but have years of experience in the NHL. As mentioned earlier, if Nino is to blame for this then we must blame Crosby, Savard, and Nielsen for the hits they've taken during their careers.

And as far as player development goes, I think you have to take it on a case by case basis. You can't just say all players below 20 years old shouldn't be in the NHL. We wouldn't have Tavares or Hamonic if that were the case, and they're certainly ready.

Edit: Btw, David Ullstrom is ready for the NHL. Just in case some of you haven't noticed.
Where did I fault nino on not keeping his head up?

Old
12-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Any word if Shannahan is taking a look at this hit?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Darth Bangkok

I don't know how to link to an individual twit, I mean tweet:

Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
NSH's Jordin Tootoo has disciplinary hearing with NHL today. DAL's Mark Fistric also expected to have a disciplinary hearing.

Bob McKenzie
If Dallas defenceman Fistric is suspended, and he will have a hearing, it will be for leaving his feet/charging, not a Rule 48 violation.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:20 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

On your sensible logic, I call for a disbanding of the AHL.

Nino is ready, and didn't look outta place and we shouldn't be careful. It's free love time on the Isle! Come on, baby, get some NHL luvin.

Nino is not ready. The Isles could be cautious or they could continue to appease the "he's done everything he can at **** level" crowd AGAIN!

Meanwhile, Detroit and their overwhelming diligence in not rushing KIDS is a powerhouse and their kids are awesome. Nino? We're gonna have an ITV miniseries where four young guys room at Brett Lindros' house unable to pay their bills because they all did all they could at the lower levels.

It's silly.

He's a prized prospect and the team stinks so WHY RUSH HIM TO DUTY THIS EARLY?

*cap hit*

Old
12-05-2011, 11:22 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
Not important. He's seasoned. Play him now. Can't wait. Need more young flesh.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:29 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Thank you, I couldn't agree more.
And I guess Neilson has to go back to junior because he got caught with his head down against Buffalo and by a guy with a whopping 4 total NHL games played?!?! In a perfect world Nino would be in AHL, the rules do not allow it so he may take a few lumps.
They allow him to go to the AHL after juniors if he's not ready for the NHL.

And if you want to nitpick, his backcheck is horrendous, his passing game weak, his shot is great, his play on the boards is very iffy, he isn't using his size (seems overmatched/overwhelmed), is not useful covering the guy on the point and his poisitioning isn't very good YET......

All things he can improve on.

Welcome to the New York Islanders. We need the cap hit. F the consequences.

Would you rather send him to juniors if it GUARANTEED he would be at his top level of play developed properly (as power forwards take longer) or keep him here and risk he never develop properly and end up being Bailey'd/Bertuzzi's/Chyzowski'd/Isbister'd/Lindros'd?

I can deal with Ullstrom. DiBo, even. If it means we're a lot surer of seeing an amazing young talent hit his stride in a year or two, I CAN WAIT.

Some of you can't, and another soufflé falls.

(not that it has, but evidence and history point to it doing just that)

Old
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
I don't know how to link to an individual twit, I mean tweet:

Bob McKenzie
NSH's Jordin Tootoo has disciplinary hearing with NHL today. DAL's Mark Fistric also expected to have a disciplinary hearing.

Bob McKenzie
If Dallas defenceman Fistric is suspended, and he will have a hearing, it will be for leaving his feet/charging, not a Rule 48 violation.
When you look at the tweet, click over the time. When you click it, a new window will open with a link to that direct tweet.

12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

although i certainly understand being upset about a top prospect going down i cant fully understand the demand for suspension and all of the league bias complaints. After watching the hit a couple of times the only thing i can see being reviewed is the fact that he left his feet. If he hadnt left his feet there is absolutely no reason to review this hit any further. As for the Islander bias argumanet...cmon you're better than that. Yes gillies wouldnt been tared and feathered but the repeat offender scrutiny has been going on forever it has nothing to do with the islanders.

The coaches should be more concerned with the player eyeballing the puck in the neutral zone, thats a sure fire way to get killed in the NHL. Hopefully he learns from it...if he remembers it

I for one strongly disagree with the contention that hits like this have no business being in hockey. The day someone doesnt get tuned up skating with his head down in the NHL is the day i start watching the NBA instead.

Closed Thread