HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter not happy, calling out the coaches

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2011, 10:02 PM
  #1
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
Suter not happy, calling out the coaches

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...huffle-defense

Suter unhappy with the way the defensive pairings were used in the last game. Better make it right Trotz, you're losing the ship.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
  #2
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
I saw this. Uh oh.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
  #3
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,466
vCash: 500
I look at this as a good and bad thing

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:32 PM
  #4
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
He might as well start posting on here then. We are all unhappy with the way Trotz juggles lines most of the time.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 10:44 PM
  #5
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 500
Makes some fair points. I'd make some comments about being a professional, sucking it up, and playing with whoever he's assigned, but it sounds like he thinks it was having a detrimental effect on the likes of Josi, Blum, etc..., which is encouraging that he seems to be thinking 'team first.'

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:29 PM
  #6
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,802
vCash: 500
This is not good. Anytime a player comes out and says "coach makes no sense" that can't be a good thing. Locker room maybe turning on Trotz? There were rumors last year that Suter wasn't happy with Trotz. I called them poppycock but maybe they are more true than I thought?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:41 PM
  #7
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,021
vCash: 500
Something tells me that if Trotz goes, Poile has to go, too. I don't know for sure, but those two are very close.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:00 AM
  #8
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
I sense an old fashioned Player vs Trotz standoff.

Trotz will give Suter the Smith/Wilson/Rads treatment and put him in a pairing with Hillen and give him about 7 min of ice time.
Suter realizes he's no rookie, and will push back with continued statements of dissatisfaction in the media.
Poile will stick by his man, but not give Suter the satisfaction of competing for a winner this year, so Poile won't trade him before the deadline, but will trade his rights to Minnesota in the summer in exchange for Brad Staubitz and a 6th round pick.
Then Weber will see what a freak show this organization has turned into, and he'll be on the first train out of here.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:03 AM
  #9
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 45,021
vCash: 500
I dunno. Weber can afford a plane ticket

I think this is a good thing. Suter is one of the most important pieces of the team. Calling out the coach could be beneficial.

Of course, I am often wrong, so we will see

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:21 AM
  #10
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
It's very good to see SOMETHING shaking up. When a supposed STRONG point of a team has been performing the way it has so far this season, SOMETHING needs to change. Too bad it's taken an Alternate Captain plus a 3rd or 4th liner (Smithers) to be stepping into the roles of spokesmen for this team though, IMO.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:56 AM
  #11
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I dunno. Weber can afford a plane ticket

I think this is a good thing. Suter is one of the most important pieces of the team. Calling out the coach could be beneficial.

Of course, I am often wrong, so we will see
I think it's a good thing that he's speaking his mind, but not such a good thing it's questioning the coach. I'd rather him say, "we have to have better communication out there", or "you have to be ready to play with anyone and get the job done."

Although I agree with what Suter is saying, but I don't agree with the manor in which he said it and that it was so public.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:39 AM
  #12
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm
 
JohniusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middle TN
Country: United States
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
I understand the whole deal about not publicly criticizing the coach. However, I'm a weird little man and prefer it to go down that way.

Might not be a good idea, but I personally can't help but grin to myself in approval.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:26 AM
  #13
Reviled
Partisan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Well, if 20 and 6 leave, then we should have lots of extra money to sign additional soft, non-scoring forwards.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:29 AM
  #14
Reviled
Partisan
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
...Locker room maybe turning on Trotz?...
Trotz and his system of 'mediocrity-plus' have inhibited rather than enabled this team for quite a while now. Suter just has the balls to say so.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:26 AM
  #15
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,770
vCash: 500
I'm not so sure that we're not reading way too much into this. As an alternate captain, part of his job is to bring things up to the staff from the players' perspective. If some of the kids are having a hard time with pairings adjusted during the game, Suter needs to bring that up. The big unknown is the tone of the conversation between him and Trotz. If it was "hey coach, not sure if you've noticed but the kids are having a hard time with the change of pairings" ... no big deal. If it went "bleep bleep bleep Trotz, you bleep bleep bleep goat bleep" ... huge deal.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:30 AM
  #16
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
Way too much being read into this. As 101 said, it's a leader on the team stating some things he think could be better for the young guys. Either leave Suter with Blum and Weber with Josi or keep Suter with Weber and Josi with Blum. If they make mistakes, they make mistakes. This is the train they(Poile and Trotz) decided to board, now they have to live with the results. The only way Josi and Blum get better is if they're out there and learning. If they get pulled or get limited ice time, it's only going to damper their development. Can't protect them forever. He's shown faith in Smith and has been rewarded. Same with Wilson. Let Josi and Blum play. They're rookies, they're going to make mistakes.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:55 AM
  #17
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
When have you ever seen Suter say anything in the press like that? I think with the way the defense has been playing it is a big deal. Maybe lambert is not the right guy...I don't have a clue.
The game against buffalo seemed like such a contrast to the game in Vancouver for the D. They sat back so much against buffalo, I wonder if it was because the pairings were so jumbled, they just didn.t want to make a mistake. They were way more cohesive against Vancouver.
Don't know , but the d seems way more broken than our offense, and that's pretty bad.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:21 AM
  #18
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
When have you ever seen Suter say anything in the press like that? I think with the way the defense has been playing it is a big deal. Maybe lambert is not the right guy...I don't have a clue.
The game against buffalo seemed like such a contrast to the game in Vancouver for the D. They sat back so much against buffalo, I wonder if it was because the pairings were so jumbled, they just didn.t want to make a mistake. They were way more cohesive against Vancouver.
Don't know , but the d seems way more broken than our offense, and that's pretty bad.
Maybe all Suter is saying that it would help the kids to know who they're paired with for the game as opposed to it being changed shift by shift? If you're not expecting the call and then all of a sudden, bam, you're being thrown out there, you're going to be a split second late getting on the ice and that's when bad things happen.

I hear what you're saying and Suter never comes out and says stuff like this but I think it's him being a leader and wanting things to be more clear, especially for the younger guys who may not feel they have that voice in the locker room.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:52 AM
  #19
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Maybe all Suter is saying that it would help the kids to know who they're paired with for the game as opposed to it being changed shift by shift? If you're not expecting the call and then all of a sudden, bam, you're being thrown out there, you're going to be a split second late getting on the ice and that's when bad things happen.

I hear what you're saying and Suter never comes out and says stuff like this but I think it's him being a leader and wanting things to be more clear, especially for the younger guys who may not feel they have that voice in the locker room.
While I understand your point, a leader doesn't go to the press about it he goes to the coach and talks to him about it man to man or gets a group of guys together and goes to the coach. Going to the press is something else.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:09 AM
  #20
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
I really don't think this is an issue. Suter was the first one quoted in the article. Trotz had quotes. Weber had quotes. In the end, Suter said we'll figure it out.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:24 AM
  #21
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
This is what the article headline read.

Suter seeks answers to thinking behind Predators' shuffle on defense

This is what the thread is called.

Suter not happy, calling out the coaches

Tell me people don't come in here thinking something different or with a bias already because of the thread title?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
  #22
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Way too much being read into this. As 101 said, it's a leader on the team stating some things he think could be better for the young guys. Either leave Suter with Blum and Weber with Josi or keep Suter with Weber and Josi with Blum. If they make mistakes, they make mistakes. This is the train they(Poile and Trotz) decided to board, now they have to live with the results. The only way Josi and Blum get better is if they're out there and learning. If they get pulled or get limited ice time, it's only going to damper their development. Can't protect them forever. He's shown faith in Smith and has been rewarded. Same with Wilson. Let Josi and Blum play. They're rookies, they're going to make mistakes.
It's one thing to bring it up to a coach. It's another to second guess said coach to the media.

Bear in mind, this wouldn't be the first time Trotz and Suter butted heads. There was apparently some unhappiness between the two during and immediately following the playoffs last season as well.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:35 AM
  #23
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,027
vCash: 500
It's never good to have a star player questioning his coach, especially in the media.

That said...Nothing he said is really that controversial. There just needs to be better communication. Weber didn't seem to mind and Suter just sounded a bit confused. I think it gets straightened out pretty quickly.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:38 AM
  #24
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
It's one thing to bring it up to a coach. It's another to second guess said coach to the media.

Bear in mind, this wouldn't be the first time Trotz and Suter butted heads. There was apparently some unhappiness between the two during and immediately following the playoffs last season as well.
yep I remember that being said. Suter and Trotz butting heads again can't be a good thing.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM
  #25
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,188
vCash: 500
I think there are a lot of folks who have assumed Suter wants out of Nashville. Some people would see this as a sign of that. I am actually not convinced. Guy who want to leave are apathetic, mail it in... Suter must care or he wouldnt say anything, he'd just be biding his time until july 1.

This team needs a shakeup, needs to get its collective head out of its rectum and get back to playing preds hockey.

we still have 5 of our next 6 at home. good time for a turnaround. a win streak will fix all our ills...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.