HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

vCash: 500

Old
11-30-2011, 04:08 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
If Thad beats Coach K, I'll allow it.
Well...?

Old
12-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Let's go Bobcats!

Old
12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Let's go Bobcats!
I'm a little torn tonight.

While it'd be awesome if OU won the MAC, doing so puts them in the GoDaddy.com Bowl against Arkansas State. I don't even know what their mascot is.

But if they lose, they'd potentially go to the Little Ceasar's Bowl to play a lower tier Big 10 team like Northwestern or Purdue, which would be a much more appealing match-up not to mention a far more satisfying win, should that occur.

Of course, worst case scenario is that they lose tonight and end up in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl against another non-descript secondary conference team.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Since BG isn't playing, I'll root for OU. Their program is a good story.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I'm a little torn tonight.

While it'd be awesome if OU won the MAC, doing so puts them in the GoDaddy.com Bowl against Arkansas State. I don't even know what their mascot is.

But if they lose, they'd potentially go to the Little Ceasar's Bowl to play a lower tier Big 10 team like Northwestern or Purdue, which would be a much more appealing match-up not to mention a far more satisfying win, should that occur.

Of course, worst case scenario is that they lose tonight and end up in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl against another non-descript secondary conference team.
I'll take what I can get at this point, to be honest. We have never won a bowl game or a MAC title game. To do either (ideally, both) would be mega-awesome.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Well...?
Thad rules and Coach K is still a big whiner.

National championship or bust.

Old
12-02-2011, 03:42 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to see OU win, especially if losing would result in a matchup with Purdue or Northwestern. I don't think they'd fare well against either.

Old
12-02-2011, 06:38 PM
bluejacket74

Quote:
I'll take what I can get at this point, to be honest. We have never won a bowl game or a MAC title game. To do either (ideally, both) would be mega-awesome.
This.

Old
12-02-2011, 10:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

This game would have been put away by OU if they had held onto the pass into the end zone, made a field goal, or found a way to keep #35 from being isolated in pass coverage.

Old
12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Still bitter about OU's last second win over my BG Falcons this season.

Cant help but smile at the way this one turned out!

Old
12-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
This game would have been put away by OU if they had held onto the pass into the end zone, made a field goal, or found a way to keep #35 from being isolated in pass coverage.
Or not thrown a pass for no reason with 10 minutes left in the game that breathed life back into NIU. Or that cheap shot personal foul we committed which gave them a first down.

Old
12-03-2011, 12:14 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

Believe Ark St. is the Red Wolves. Used to be something "Native American-related" a few seasons ago though....

Old
12-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

OU goes to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl at Boise State against Utah State.

Seriously, Idaho? A bowl game in Idaho? Why didn't we go to Detroit?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:22 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
OU goes to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl at Boise State against Utah State.

Seriously, Idaho? A bowl game in Idaho? Why didn't we go to Detroit?
Boise State's the one that really got screwed - one loss, top ten team, and they play on the 22nd vs. a 6-6 Arizona State team!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

I won't be watching the National Rematch Game.

Not because of any boycott, but because I have zero interest in a rematch game. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I predict this game will be a big ratings flop for the network.

Outside of the south, or the people who support those teams, who really cares about this game?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Not because of any boycott, but because I have zero interest in a rematch game. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I predict this game will be a big ratings flop for the network.

Outside of the south, or the people who support those teams, who really cares about this game?
I would prefer that OK State or Stanford had finished second, but it was the polls that put Bama there, not the computers. I have no doubt that they are one of the best teams in the country and I think you're discounting the interest the rematch will generate by being the first one to occur in the BCS championship. It happens occasionally in pro football and college basketball, often in baseball (now, with inter-league play), and all the time in pro basketball. It even happens in college, now, with the league championships - MSU/Wiscy, anyone? Depending on how a true collegiate playoff was set up, it could still happen.

I watched the first Bama/LSU game and it was a real battle. I'll watch this one, too. Tigers win, they are the only undefeated team and deserve to be crowned as champs, even though some will still contend that one of the other one-loss teams might have beaten them. Tide wins and everyone wonders who is the real champ! For those who hope for a real playoff, I can only say, "Roll Tide!"

You can't imagine how hard it was for me to type that, I hate Alabama fans!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 923
Alabama beat three teams with winning records. That gets you a shot at a national title is you can say you are in the SEC.

No interested in the title game here.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Alabama had their chance to take LSU down and lost (at home, no less). Now they're getting another shot? Sorry, not gonna watch.

Why can't there be a eight-team playoff for the national championship? I always hear the argument that it would be tough to carry out a playoff due to academic reasons, but I think that a BS excuse - a lot of these guys carry a light class load during the football season (even at the Division 3 level, like my nephew does). Make the New Year's Day bowls the quarterfinals, have a Final Four weekend the following weekend, and then the National Championship the weekend between the NFL conference championships and the Super Bowl. Is that too much to ask?

Old
12-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I wouldn't be nearly as opposed to the rematch if the first game wasn't so ****ing boring.

12-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I wouldn't be nearly as opposed to the rematch if the first game wasn't so ****ing boring.
Yeah, some may call a grudge match with a 9-6 score a great game but...I'd rather see a couple touchdowns here or there. I don't wanna watch football from the early 1900's.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

I recall the 42-39 epic from 2006, and was against a re-match then. Partially out of fear, partially out of not wanting a team that lost to get another shot.

Even that game with a sexy score from back then had ZERO support. All of a sudden, when the SEC is stacking the deck, every talking head supports a rematch.

ESPN, BCS, SEC. All in bed with each other, i'm tellin' ya!

Old
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Alabama had their chance to take LSU down and lost (at home, no less). Now they're getting another shot? Sorry, not gonna watch.

Why can't there be a eight-team playoff for the national championship? I always hear the argument that it would be tough to carry out a playoff due to academic reasons, but I think that a BS excuse - a lot of these guys carry a light class load during the football season (even at the Division 3 level, like my nephew does). Make the New Year's Day bowls the quarterfinals, have a Final Four weekend the following weekend, and then the National Championship the weekend between the NFL conference championships and the Super Bowl. Is that too much to ask?
I always thought the best thing would be a hybrid bowl system plus two more games with eight teams total involved similar to what you mention.

The first "round" would consist of the four current BCS bowls with their traditional tie-ins. That way, most of the teams in would have to be conference champions. The bowls with only one tie-in (Sugar and Fiesta) would have to take the highest ranked team not aligned to another bowl. These games would take place on the traditional New Year's day or the weekend close to it.

Then you would match up the four winners of the bowls the following weekend. (Rose vs. Sugar and Orange vs. Fiesta). The weekend after that would be the winners of the previous week's games for all the marbles.

This would make sure that conference champs had a real shot at the title plus the two other best temas and would, in reality, extend the season by only one week since the BCS championship is so late now.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
I recall the 42-39 epic from 2006, and was against a re-match then. Partially out of fear, partially out of not wanting a team that lost to get another shot.

Even that game with a sexy score from back then had ZERO support. All of a sudden, when the SEC is stacking the deck, every talking head supports a rematch.

ESPN, BCS, SEC. All in bed with each other, i'm tellin' ya!
You left out CBS. They pushed hard for a rematch, too, even if they won't air any BCS games. That SEC title game was a slurp fest.

Old
12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

This... in addition to the boycott. To hell with the BCS, now and forever.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Closed Thread