HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHL Hot Or Not : Darche COLD

Old
12-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
i'm happy a guy like darche took 1.5 mil off the books over the last 3 years

local guy, worked hard for a dream, and it's not like he's the reason the team didn't win the cup in the last 2 seasons

I find it odd to rag on 35 yr guys who committed everything for a dream and finally make it, who make close to league min., while there are bigger problems such as overpaid millionaires doing nothing...
Ya, it's not like there's threads about Gomez or others...

This is a thread about Darche. Just like some will be made for appreciation (I believe one was made for Darche last year), some will be made to question what is wrong.

Darche brings nothing. He certainly is not the reason why we are having problems, but that does not mean he is good.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Darche is a solid 4th liner. He made two great plays in the first period last game, both close to Price. First one probably saved a goal. As long as he doesn't get PP time, he's a responsible and smart player who can chew up 8-10 minutes a game.
OMG, he says it again

Darche is a TERRIBLE 4th liner, he's slow, doesn't hit, doesn't defend his teammates, is not good on special teams, etc. he's suppose to be a serviceable top 9 replacement when we have injuries on the team. Sadly he sucks too much for that too now.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:12 AM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
doesn't hit
FYI, Darche is 5th on the team in hits with 32. That puts him in the top 25% of the NHL.

ngc_5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
neofury*

He isn't cold, he just isn't playing above his head like he was last season. He's also being misused on the PP making fans hate him even more.

He's a 4th liner/12/13 forward, not an all star. Expecting him to be any more than a guy who can sometimes play on the 3rd line is ridiculous.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
OMG, he says it again

Darche is a TERRIBLE 4th liner, he's slow, doesn't hit, doesn't defend his teammates, is not good on special teams, etc. he's suppose to be a serviceable top 9 replacement when we have injuries on the team. Sadly he sucks too much for that too now.
this!
The guy has ONE fat point in 27 games, I guess when the puck doesn't bounce off his knee and neck like it did last season, he has no business in NHL.
He is an okay AHL-er and that is all. Can't wait for White to come back!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
OMG, he says it again

OMG.. maybe you should watch the games because that's clearly not happening.

If you ever thought Darche was a good top-9 player, you're absolutely freaking crazy.

PS. Darche hits more than forward on the team with the exception of Erik Cole. Just thought you'd like to know that fact before you make **** up. He's 105th in the league in hits among forwards.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Darche is a solid 4th liner. He made two great plays in the first period last game, both close to Price. First one probably saved a goal. As long as he doesn't get PP time, he's a responsible and smart player who can chew up 8-10 minutes a game.
I agree. He's fine if he's not thrown into a role with expectations that are impossible for him to meet... He's a 4th liner that can eat up a small amount of minutes a game.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:24 AM
neofury*

Quote:
OMG, he says it again

1) He isn't a great 4th liner but he certainly isn't terrible
2) He's in the top 25% for hits/gp in the NHL as others mentioned.
3) Given the sample being last and this year it's unfair to say he's not good on special teams. He was fine last year, it's a case of "what have you done for me lately?".
4) No he isn't supposed to be a serviceable top 9 replacement, he's supposed to be a 4th liner who can if you're lucky have a good game or two on the 3rd line... if you're lucky, but is in no way a guy like Moen who is a serviceable 3rd line replacement.

He might not be having lucky bounces like he did last year but that's just about the only thing in his game that has changed.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I agree. He's fine if he's not thrown into a role with expectations that are impossible for him to meet.
Exactly.

I also think his PP time would be a little more productive (as with everyone) if we had someone who could shoot the damn puck from the point.

Weber has a great shot, but can't seem to get it off.

PK Subban takes 9 years to wind up.

Gorges has a weak shot (although it surprises you once in awhile).

Diaz has a good shot but hasn't used it that much.

Gill doesn't know what the PP is.

Spacek never hits the net.

Emelin has an okay shot, but hasn't really got to use it.

Markov hasn't played.

Campoli .. I'm not really too sure.

St-Denis has an accurate but soft shot.

We don't have that Wiz, Bergeron, Streit type shot from the point that would make Darche standing in front of the goalie a good thing.

That's 100% on the coach to notice that Darche can't do anything on a PP with no one to shoot the puck.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:

That's 100% on the coach to notice that Darche can't do anything on a PP with no one to shoot the puck.
There's no big shot from the point. So the offensive creation on the PP shifts to the forwards. To have put Darche instead of Cole, Kostitsyn, etc... was therefore of the utmost stupidity.
Result: PP is useless, Darche made the laughing stock of the league.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
There's no big shot from the point. So the offensive creation on the PP shifts to the forwards. To have put Darche instead of Cole, Kostitsyn, etc... was therefore of the utmost stupidity.
Result: PP is useless, Darche made the laughing stock of the league.
Exactly. If we had a big shot from the point (like last year) Darche becomes more useful because he's able knock in garbage, deflect, and most importantly, park himself in front of the net.

Without that, playing him on the PP is one of the worst coaching moves I've ever seen.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:45 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Again, 1 point in 27 games, no excuses for that.
I would have loved to have Lapierre instead, but we had to get rid of him because our idiot coach didn't like him....

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:47 AM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

I miss Maximus ....

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Bullsmith

Darche deserved to get a contract based on his play last year. Based on his play this year, however, he deserves to be in Hamilton. Pity the org seems to have no faith in what little depth it has (Palushaj, Blunden i.e.), so we're stuck with Darche.

I love the guy, actually, but the simple fact is it looks like he's lost a step and was barely NHL-calibre at his best.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Exactly. If we had a big shot from the point (like last year) Darche becomes more useful because he's able knock in garbage, deflect, and most importantly, park himself in front of the net.

Without that, playing him on the PP is one of the worst coaching moves I've ever seen.
Thing is Darche really isn't very skilled at knocking in garbage and has absolutely no skill at deflection. Tim Kerr he ain't. But he does do the work to park himself in front of the net. No arguing that.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:51 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Insert picture of Martin's notebook.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

If you ever thought Darche was a good top-9 player, you're absolutely freaking crazy.

PS. Darche hits more than forward on the team with the exception of Erik Cole. Just thought you'd like to know that fact before you make **** up. He's 105th in the league in hits among forwards.
Actually, Darche has less hits than two forwards, Cole and Moen. You can also add in AK, that has a bigger hit/gp ratio.
And to be fair, Gionta is only 1 hit behind Darche. So it really doesn't say much.

At the end of the day, Darche is not a physical player. He is a grinder without a mean streak. Guys like Begin and Kostopoulos, who are smaller, were of the same type, except they were a bit meaner.

Darche doesn't bring much. Sure, he can make some nice defensive plays, and offensive ones too, if he didn't, then he would have never even played one NHL game. But essentially, he's useless. We could replace him tomorrow with another marginal player and we really wouldn't notice anything.

I think it depends what your definition of a 4th liner is. To me, Darche could be useful if the other 2 linemates brought something different. When you have a guy like Noki, then Darche becomes useless. If we had White playing center and Moen, completed by Darche, then maybe he'd complete that duo better. Right now however, the 4th line is used for spare parts. If we're gonna make our 4th liners play 5min, then I wouldn't have minded a guy like Konopka.
The reason why I'm against bringing a pure enforcer who sucks at hockey is because they will be used for 5min and are useless outside their very short and limited role. But if we're going to use our 4th liners for 5min anyways, might as well bring in someone that can be rugged and fight.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Sure, he can knock in garbage goal, deflect that's another story as it requires skill and he doesn't have a whole lot of that. He can park himself in front of the net, absolutely.
But when your roster consists of Cole, Cammy, MaxPac, Gio, Plek, AK, Eller, DD, Gomez, then no matter how useful he could be, the others are way ahead of him.
Injuries is the only reason why Darche should get PP time, otherwise he has no business there.
There's plenty of big 4th liners that could do a very good job at parking themselves in front of the net and try to tap in rebounds. Doesn't mean they should be used there over more skilled players.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, our PP should be ran by AK and Eller. They are our best puck control forwards. They should play by the ash marks and control the play. Then you have Plek, Cole, Cammy and MaxPac that absolutely should play on the PP. Already that's 6 forwards. Then we have DD, Gomez and Gionta that you could argue should play on it as well. There really isn't any place for Darche.

With the way he's been playing this year, I'd suggest even Moen should be used before Darche.

Really, he has no business there no matter how you try to spin it.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

Is that what I said? I said he was a serviceable top 9 replacement when injuries occurred. When Moen-Nokalainen-White finally becomes our 4th line it will have quite an impact on the team. A real 4th line able to provide some much needed energy on this team, to bring a little excitement in the bell center and self-respect on the ice.

Btw, I don't care of he's 5th, 1st or 15th, completing a weak check does not mean you're a good hitter. When was that last time Darxhe did anything worthwhile physically?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:35 AM
gillyguzzler

As most here have said, Darche is an acceptable and serviceable 4th liner.

This season, however, there are two problems :

1. Jacques Martin's insistence on having him on the PP. Yes, I cursed Darche on the PP while MaxPac or Cole or AK or Eller rotted on the bench. It didn't make any sense but IDIOT Jacques Martin put him out there. Darche didn't produce at all and it seems that the IDIOT has finally seen the light and is not putting Darche on the PP at all lately.

2. Most fans would prefer a Steve Begin (high intensity agitator) type player or even a tough guy who can play (Thornton) on the 4th line. Darche is not a liability and plays his position but doesn't contribute much excitement and energy to the 4th line. He's not fast enough and he's not tough enough.

Hopefully, he's respected in the dressing room and is a leader. He's a good story and seems like a really nice person. I'd still rather have a fourth line like Boston's or Buffalo's or even the Leafs...

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I was all for resigning him especially at the price he signed at but I really was not expecting JM to play him this much and give him PP time. The dude should be playing 50-55 games year, filling where needed, maybe some second unit PK time but not on the PP. I really hope he is not back next season.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:54 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
he's being used outside of his role by JM, which isn't doing darche any favors. he was signed as a 13th forward. when white comes back, darche sits
Let's hope so...man we need White asap...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM
neofury*

If White is back by January I'd be shocked honestly. My dad ran into him and he did not look even close to being able to play. The dude could barely walk.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i personally think you're full of it, but you need to put up or shut up.
PM a mod. I have sent my proof. I could care less what you think to be honest.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Bob Cole

id rather have a goon that can barely skate than mathieu ****ing darche on the 4th line

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote