HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Questions About comparing leauges. (Not really sure how to word it)

Old
11-28-2011, 01:13 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 500
Questions About comparing leauges. (Not really sure how to word it)

So I play Minnesota Highschool hockey. (Which compared to 90% of the US is heads and shoulders above other high school hockey competition wise.)

When people on here are talking about I play in such and such league. (Adult leauges or whatever.) What is that comparable to when people are talking about their like House league, A squad, c/d squad, etc.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
DJH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
So I play Minnesota Highschool hockey. (Which compared to 90% of the US is heads and shoulders above other high school hockey competition wise.)

When people on here are talking about I play in such and such league. (Adult leauges or whatever.) What is that comparable to when people are talking about their like House league, A squad, c/d squad, etc.
I tried figuring that one out with respect to rec leagues and you can't do it for rec leagues. I think that you may be able to do it for junior, minor or pro leagues as there the attention and focus on ranking them.

Rec leagues are just to dependent on location, night of the week, time of the year. Our summer team played in "C" but would get our butts kicked in "C" in winter. The "C" teams would be kicked by "E" level on the same night at another location who would be thrashed by "E" level at other nights.

Also you can actually get moved up a level in our Sunday league which has twelve divisions and be moved into an easier division if that division happens to have a lot of lesser skilled teams that are playing relatively equal to each other. Our league will often double jump or double drop a team... or triple drop a team that really stinks to find them a suitable level of play.

In the same league G or F on Thursday one year was intense and the next year it was 1/2 full of new teams and was 1/2 a practic eand 1/2 a challenge. G or F on Mondays was full of beginner "graduate" teams and the next year it was full of better teams.

Some teams suck in Sept and Oct and then add better players as the roster deadlines start to be put in place in Nov and Dec. You can play them 3-4 times and after that it's like playing a whole new team the rest of the season with the same name and jerseys.

It's too mixed up to determine for rec.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What school (or level if you don't want to say)?

D players range from beginners to adults who've skated a few years. Most of them didn't play as a kid. For the most part they can skate forwards well and turn and stop just fine. They usually aren't great at passing or shooting and backwards skating is a bit shaky. AHA has D2 (beginners usually) and D1 (slightly better).

C players typically played at least some as a kid and are pretty decent players, just not in great shape or fast or making quick decisions. AHA for instance has C3, C2, and C1 with C1 being the best of the three. As you go up the speed of the game and skill increases.

B players typically played high school, like a Class A average player. Some may have played club level at college. Don't think many played D3 or above.

A players almost always played high school (Class AA level) and college, D3, possibly D1. MAYBE some former pros in this level if there isn't a level above. Right now AHA goes through B level I believe, sometimes they have Elite level which should have some former pros.

I play AHA, based out of the Twin Cities. Never made it above squirts at the lowest level Edina house league and I was the worst on the team because I didn't every practice or try hard. I busted my ass as an adult when I started playing again and went from a D2-ish player to C2-ish.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
TwInS1095

I play for Orono....so I mean not a huge school or anything. But I'm just thinking like after my highschool career is done. (I won't be good enough to play college most likely. Maybe the intra-mural teams.) But I want to continue playing hockey for the rest of my life so i'm just wondering what kind of leagues I could look to play in in the future. Obviously, i've got a while, but still....I don't know. I was just thinking about it

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well depending on where you end up there are tons of options in the Twin Cities. Open hockey, JMS (organized pickup), AHA in the metro, Blaine rink league...it's getting bigger and bigger here so you'll be set

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote