HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Value of Paul Stastny

Old
12-05-2011, 02:22 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Komisarek, Bozak, 4th
Probably the most solid proposal we have ever received for Stastny.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan7 View Post
Anyone want to explain to me how to get to the ignore button??
Click his username

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Rumors : Bruins and Hawks looking for centers ,http://www.mynhltraderumors.com2nd-line-center-bruins
Both teams are a bit too close to the cap for that to be realistic, though.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Can't BELIEVE the B's are looking for centers. Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, Horton, Peverley, Kelly, Marchand, Pouliot, and Campbell are all natural centers...and they need more!?

Kinda weirded out the Hawks need one too...but I guess the Kane experiment has run its course and they want to keep Sharp on the wing, which left them with Kruger to center their 2nd line.

As someone else said, the salaries wouldn't work out, and besides, we're not yet in a position IMO to be dealing centers. When and if Hishon and Olver are ready, then maybe we can talk.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:45 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
If it's trading Stastny to play with Parise and Kovalchuk I'd want someone the Devils will not want to part ways with.

And yes his name starts with an L and ends with arsson.
I bet you mean Larsson!

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I bet you mean Larsson!
THANK YOU!

I couldn't figure out who he meant!

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:17 PM
hawk30

Please keep him away from Chicago.

With Quenneville, the Hawks' offensive system of cycling down low, and two of Kane, Hossa, Brunette, and Sharp on his wings, we would rue the day we made the trade.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Duskog
Smugnorance is bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Rumors : Bruins and Hawks looking for centers ,http://www.mynhltraderumors.com2nd-line-center-bruins
I wonder if Chicago does Stastny for Bolland + Hawks 2nd.

Duskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:38 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I'd want Oshie or Parise (signed) or Loui E

I'd ship off Stastny, Barrie, and a guy like Jones or Yip for one of those. (a little less for Oshie).
You're kidding with Oshie, right? A 5'11" winger who's never scored 20 goals in a season and has a career high of 48 points in a 76 game season.

I wouldn't trade Stastny alone for him, nevermind adding other pieces.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
You're kidding with Oshie, right? A 5'11" winger who's never scored 20 goals in a season and has a career high of 48 points in a 76 game season.

Oshie's only 24 and getting better. Not saying I'd do the trade, but we have yet to see him reach his potential. And he may be 5'11" but dude can throw some mean hits. My only digs on Oshie are his attitude and attention to defense. Both are lacking somewhat.

I think the Blues will eventually trade Oshie...but not to us.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

I think I have seen close to a hundred Stastny proposals on this forum and there have been two that I liked (not counting the proposals where Avs rob a team blind because they aren't that interesting).

Parise or Suter for Stastny under the assumption that a contract extension is negotiated before the trade. This won't happen of course.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskog View Post
I wonder if Chicago does Stastny for Bolland + Hawks 2nd.
Gotta figure Sherman's not that bad of a GM that he'd do something like that.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Oshie's only 24 and getting better. Not saying I'd do the trade, but we have yet to see him reach his potential. And he may be 5'11" but dude can throw some mean hits. My only digs on Oshie are his attitude and attention to defense. Both are lacking somewhat.

Really bad argument here...Stastny is only 25 and the entire team hasn't played to expectations since last season. He was still the 2nd best scorer on the team last year with 57 pts...

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
Please keep him away from Chicago.

With Quenneville, the Hawks' offensive system of cycling down low, and two of Kane, Hossa, Brunette, and Sharp on his wings, we would rue the day we made the trade.
You know Stastny had his best years in Quenneville's cycle-first two-way system right...? That's kind of his thing...

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think I have seen close to a hundred Stastny proposals on this forum and there have been two that I liked (not counting the proposals where Avs rob a team blind because they aren't that interesting).

Parise or Suter for Stastny under the assumption that a contract extension is negotiated before the trade. This won't happen of course.
I know sign-and-trades happen all the time in the NBA, but do they happen in the NHL? I know some players have been traded right after signing an extension (Setoguchi comes to mind) but those contracts weren't made with the intention of trading the guy.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
I know sign-and-trades happen all the time in the NBA, but do they happen in the NHL? I know some players have been traded right after signing an extension (Setoguchi comes to mind) but those contracts weren't made with the intention of trading the guy.
It would be getting permission to negotiate an extension with the players agent before the trade, then a trade and then the player signs.

But it won't happen with Parise. Lamoriello haven't traded any big name pending UFAs as rentals as long as he has been GM. It most likely won't happen with Suter either.

But those two trades are the only ones that work with the cap and the ambition to not make us much less competitive if we trade Stastny. Avs are not going to trade Stastny for young players, prospects and picks this year and be forced to make a second trade to pick up a bunch of salary to reach the floor.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:45 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:

And Stastny is only 25 so that arguement makes no sense. People seem to think that Stastny is an old veteran when really he is only 25. Just because he is a veteran on this team that doesn't make him old.

Plus I don't want another Stewart on this team.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:07 PM
hawk30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeduck View Post
You know Stastny had his best years in Quenneville's cycle-first two-way system right...? That's kind of his thing...
Yes, that's kind of my point. He'd fit perfectly there.

hawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
Yes, that's kind of my point. He'd fit perfectly there.
Oh haha wow do I feel dumb.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
And Stastny is only 25 so that arguement makes no sense. People seem to think that Stastny is an old veteran when really he is only 25. Just because he is a veteran on this team that doesn't make him old.

Plus I don't want another Stewart on this team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Crusher View Post
Really bad argument here...Stastny is only 25 and the entire team hasn't played to expectations since last season. He was still the 2nd best scorer on the team last year with 57 pts...
All due respect, re-read my post guys. I wasn't making an argument in favor of the trade, just saying Oshie is a better player with more potential than 2PS was giving him credit for. The age thing wasn't meant as a comparison to Stazz--just that he hasn't reached his prime yet IMO. I think Oshie's a good player who could be even better...but no way would I trade Stastny for him.

Honestly it would have to take a too-good-to-be-true proposal to make me hop on board a Stastny deal. There's a reason #26's jersey is one of the few Avs sweaters I own.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
I bet you mean Larsson!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
THANK YOU!

I couldn't figure out who he meant!
Well i'm a frenchy , i'm slow at time

Ok not THAT slow

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
I don't see the case the trading Stastny.

So what if he's overpaid? Right now that's literally an asset to us, because we need his salary to be over the cap floor. It also means that he basically can't be traded, since there's no way for us to get enough salary back. Suter's only making $3.5M, and Parise $6M which I don't think is enough on his own.

I understand that he's disappointing offensively, but he's still young and has buckets of potential. The absolutely worst case scenario is that he becomes our 3rd line center and puts up only 50ish points a year, which is about what he's on pace for (while slumping). Considering his cap hit won't ever affect us negatively, that's not a terrible scenario to be in.

Keep in mind that as soon as we trade him, he'll instantly become a PPG+ player against us. That's reason enough to not trade him.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post

Oshie makes less than half of what Stastny does, and while it may arguably be on or off target, I was considering Stastny's salary when I was throwing this out.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:13 AM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post
I don't see the case the trading Stastny.

So what if he's overpaid? Right now that's literally an asset to us, because we need his salary to be over the cap floor. It also means that he basically can't be traded, since there's no way for us to get enough salary back. Suter's only making $3.5M, and Parise $6M which I don't think is enough on his own.

I understand that he's disappointing offensively, but he's still young and has buckets of potential. The absolutely worst case scenario is that he becomes our 3rd line center and puts up only 50ish points a year, which is about what he's on pace for (while slumping). Considering his cap hit won't ever affect us negatively, that's not a terrible scenario to be in.

Keep in mind that as soon as we trade him, he'll instantly become a PPG+ player against us. That's reason enough to not trade him.
I believe this would happen as well. Better to keep #26 and hope he returns to his good form soon.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
Oshie makes less than half of what Stastny does, and while it may arguably be on or off target, I was considering Stastny's salary when I was throwing this out.
The salary is irrelevant to us right now, we're at the cap floor for goodness sake.

Let's not make our team worse.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote