HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calling Mr. Shanahan!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2011, 07:11 PM
  #76
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,916
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Right, because they are supposed to respond after every ****ing cheapshot? Get the **** out of here with this ********.
Wouldn't that be Gillies' and Haley's primary reason for being dressed, to deter cheap shots and protect their team mates.

mygameworn is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 07:22 PM
  #77
Ziggy16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
this is an over the phone hearing... shanny is busy with 2 other suspension issues today on top of the BOG meetings in FLA.. and with dallas having 4 days off, this hearing was set for tomorrow while the other 2 took place today...

Ziggy16 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
  #78
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygameworn View Post
Wouldn't that be Gillies' and Haley's primary reason for being dressed, to deter cheap shots and protect their team mates.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 07:26 PM
  #79
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,573
vCash: 500
Let's just make it easy for the simpletons and Helen Kellers on this board and on the main board. Do you think he gets called to a hearing if his hit was clean ?

scott99 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 07:28 PM
  #80
blackmesa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 660
vCash: 500
I doubt he doesnt get any games, since the hearing is in person and not over the phone. Cambell was infamous for not even making a goon go anywhere when he hurt and islander. So far, Shanny is making progress.

blackmesa is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 07:28 PM
  #81
Ziggy16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
either way shanny will have his video up tomorrow explaining what exactly happened and how the ref starting right at the play called NOTHING, and how a major should have been called, but b/c no penalty was called, a fine/suspension has to come down..

Ziggy16 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
  #82
DanNYI2191
Registered User
 
DanNYI2191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Suffolk County
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
What are you taking about?? Are you that upset that someone took your arguement to town that you you reply with incoherent babble?

Comparing the Islanders situation to Detroits, NOW THERE's A WINNING THOUGHT PROCESS. LMFAO.

I'll say it one more time for you slowly....Nino.....has.....only.....played.....6.....games ......this.....season

I'm not going to even bother replying to your ramblings in this thread anymore, you are doing a great job of losing the discussion on your own. There is an old saying about giving a guy enough rope and he'll hang himself with it, well you also tied your feet,hands and gagged yourself, OKAY THEN, Fantastic.
He didn't compare them. He praised the Wings for not rushing prospects, something we can't seem to figure out.

DanNYI2191 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 07:55 PM
  #83
Symon Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Right, because they are supposed to respond after every ****ing cheapshot? Get the **** out of here with this ********.
When the cheap shots are at your star players of course . Would Pitt do nothing if Crosby has gotten hit like JT?

Symon Asher is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 05:15 AM
  #84
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJedd View Post
Give me a brake, who are the multitude of prospects the Islanders ruined only to go elsewhere to succeed? Bertuzzi? He was run out of here on a rail, he was a locker room cancer and he sucked as an Islander and Isbister, ISBISTER??!! Jesus Christ man, lol.

Awwwwe, Nino wasn't playing well? Didn't get into positon well? And wasn't a stand out defensively? Best part is "He lacks a ton"? It's a wonder he can even stand up on his skates he is just so young and delicate.

Well smack me with a catfish can you tell everyone how many games Nino has played this year? "Well awe shuks Opie seems like that fellar only played in six, THAT'S 6 games" "But Paaww" Opie says" He ought be shuttin' down offenses and puttin' the biscuit in the basket every game by now" "No, Opie. You see in the game of hockey, it takes a feller more than a week to learn the ins and outs of the league before you can say he's stuck in the meuud". "Gee Paw, if that's the problem old Otis can just go tow him out".

You have to be kidding me, every prospect isn't Josh Bailey. Nino's own coach said there wasn't anything left for him in Juniors and he is a guy who would want him back more than anyone. Nino pulled his groin, sat out a bit, then got a 2 week conditioning stint in the AHL and he was better than average. Would I rather him be in the AHL of course, but that can't happen, so it's juniors or the pros, I think the smart thing here would be to defer to his junior coach.

Nino will be fine, lets give the kid some time to adjust to the NHL before we go calling is development ruined or worse yet, blame his getting concussed on a cheap and dirty hit on him because YOU think he should be in juniors. I also love how everyone points to him not having his head up as evidence that he shouldn't be in the NHL, I guess Crosby shouldn't be there either. When I watch the video I see Nino looking right at that ********* FISTER, what exactly would you have done? Players who are veterans get caught all the time and on a dirty hit how was it Nino's fault. What a crock.

I've seen some really weak complaints and arguements in this place but this whining about Nino has to take the cake. SIX games folks, he has played in 6 games thois year, lets get a grip.
Playing in the NHL is not when you adjust to it. It's when you're ready for it. If he needs to "adjust", what you're really saying is he needs to perform better. Having nothing left to learn in junior =/= NHL ready.

The AHL is much better than junior-and the AHL is littered with players who dominate at that level-yet never earn a spot on a NHL roster. Tambellini is an obvious perfect example of this. You're example of Nino's 4 pts in 6 games is sad. Tambo frequently was at a PPG-and we all saw what he was able to do in the NHL. Then there's Krog. Nino being merely "above average" means he's really not ready for the NHL yet.

If you can't tell the difference between not-yet fully matured teenagers playing defense against you in junior (overwhelming majority who'll never step foot in NHL ice), versus fully grown adult men at the NHL level-I'm shocked. Nino could get away with having his head down in juniors-in the NHL they'll light you up...and that's what happened. Lesson learned.


I'm not saying Nino isn't going to amount to anything. I'm just saying look at all the Isles' prospect that aren't panning out....now look around the NHL where the ones are. Difference? Development. Getzlaf dominated the WHL 03...and guess what he did? played there in 04 and 05...you think the Ducks made the wrong call, because Getzlaf obviously had "nothing left to learn"?

Here's a question I'd love to see the supporters of the way this team develops youngsters answer: other than Tavares, who was the last player the Islanders drafted that panned out for them? by my accounts....you have to go back more than 10 years.

ScaredStreit is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 06:53 AM
  #85
Hip Of Rick
Registered User
 
Hip Of Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Playing in the NHL is not when you adjust to it. It's when you're ready for it. If he needs to "adjust", what you're really saying is he needs to perform better. Having nothing left to learn in junior =/= NHL ready.

The AHL is much better than junior-and the AHL is littered with players who dominate at that level-yet never earn a spot on a NHL roster. Tambellini is an obvious perfect example of this. You're example of Nino's 4 pts in 6 games is sad. Tambo frequently was at a PPG-and we all saw what he was able to do in the NHL. Then there's Krog. Nino being merely "above average" means he's really not ready for the NHL yet.

If you can't tell the difference between not-yet fully matured teenagers playing defense against you in junior (overwhelming majority who'll never step foot in NHL ice), versus fully grown adult men at the NHL level-I'm shocked. Nino could get away with having his head down in juniors-in the NHL they'll light you up...and that's what happened. Lesson learned.


I'm not saying Nino isn't going to amount to anything. I'm just saying look at all the Isles' prospect that aren't panning out....now look around the NHL where the ones are. Difference? Development. Getzlaf dominated the WHL 03...and guess what he did? played there in 04 and 05...you think the Ducks made the wrong call, because Getzlaf obviously had "nothing left to learn"?

Here's a question I'd love to see the supporters of the way this team develops youngsters answer: other than Tavares, who was the last player the Islanders drafted that panned out for them? by my accounts....you have to go back more than 10 years.


Hip Of Rick is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 08:39 AM
  #86
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Playing in the NHL is not when you adjust to it. It's when you're ready for it. If he needs to "adjust", what you're really saying is he needs to perform better. Having nothing left to learn in junior =/= NHL ready.

The AHL is much better than junior-and the AHL is littered with players who dominate at that level-yet never earn a spot on a NHL roster. Tambellini is an obvious perfect example of this. You're example of Nino's 4 pts in 6 games is sad. Tambo frequently was at a PPG-and we all saw what he was able to do in the NHL. Then there's Krog. Nino being merely "above average" means he's really not ready for the NHL yet.

If you can't tell the difference between not-yet fully matured teenagers playing defense against you in junior (overwhelming majority who'll never step foot in NHL ice), versus fully grown adult men at the NHL level-I'm shocked. Nino could get away with having his head down in juniors-in the NHL they'll light you up...and that's what happened. Lesson learned.


I'm not saying Nino isn't going to amount to anything. I'm just saying look at all the Isles' prospect that aren't panning out....now look around the NHL where the ones are. Difference? Development. Getzlaf dominated the WHL 03...and guess what he did? played there in 04 and 05...you think the Ducks made the wrong call, because Getzlaf obviously had "nothing left to learn"?

Here's a question I'd love to see the supporters of the way this team develops youngsters answer: other than Tavares, who was the last player the Islanders drafted that panned out for them? by my accounts....you have to go back more than 10 years.
Your Getzlaf argument won't hold water, because it was either play in the AHL, or don't play. That was the year of the season-long lockout. But other than that, your premise is accurate.

Bauer Warrior* is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
  #87
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Playing in the NHL is not when you adjust to it. It's when you're ready for it. If he needs to "adjust", what you're really saying is he needs to perform better. Having nothing left to learn in junior =/= NHL ready.

The AHL is much better than junior-and the AHL is littered with players who dominate at that level-yet never earn a spot on a NHL roster. Tambellini is an obvious perfect example of this. You're example of Nino's 4 pts in 6 games is sad. Tambo frequently was at a PPG-and we all saw what he was able to do in the NHL. Then there's Krog. Nino being merely "above average" means he's really not ready for the NHL yet.

If you can't tell the difference between not-yet fully matured teenagers playing defense against you in junior (overwhelming majority who'll never step foot in NHL ice), versus fully grown adult men at the NHL level-I'm shocked. Nino could get away with having his head down in juniors-in the NHL they'll light you up...and that's what happened. Lesson learned.


I'm not saying Nino isn't going to amount to anything. I'm just saying look at all the Isles' prospect that aren't panning out....now look around the NHL where the ones are. Difference? Development. Getzlaf dominated the WHL 03...and guess what he did? played there in 04 and 05...you think the Ducks made the wrong call, because Getzlaf obviously had "nothing left to learn"?

Here's a question I'd love to see the supporters of the way this team develops youngsters answer: other than Tavares, who was the last player the Islanders drafted that panned out for them? by my accounts....you have to go back more than 10 years.
OK you have valid points but please allow me to retort:
Whenever I hear the argument "the Islanders haven't developed any prospects" I feel it is a misleading statement. Milbury traded away so many prospects that did develop (and they did not get sent back to the AHL by the team that acquired them they developed them on their roster). Snow cannot be made an example of because of the sins of others.
Secondly, there are many players that dominate the Juniors and AHL that never make it to the NHL simply because they were left in the lower levels to long and developed bad habits because it was to easy for them. The NHL is a tough game and needs to be learned IN the NHL.
Lastly, I worked for a very successful company that had a management philosophy that I believe the good NHL teams adhere to. To successfully run our production facilities we would hire one supervisor from the college ranks (eg:juniors), one from internal(eg:AHL) and one with outside experience (eg:free agents). This would breed a good atmosphere of youthful enthusiasm, good company loyalty, and good field experience. I don't think the problem with Nino is that he is not ready, it is that he does not have the proper experienced players teaching/showing him the NHL game(it does not help that he was hurt to start the year and is "behind" the other players).
In closing it is most important to have proper talent evaluators to know who is ready at a young age and who is not. There are many examples of players who have made it in the NHL as an 18/19 year old and many who have not.


Last edited by PROMputt: 12-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.
PROMputt is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 10:25 AM
  #88
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,357
vCash: 500
He should be suspended for a game. Dec. 15th against the Islanders


Last edited by Islanders1932: 12-06-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Islanders1932 is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 10:38 AM
  #89
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Playing in the NHL is not when you adjust to it. It's when you're ready for it. If he needs to "adjust", what you're really saying is he needs to perform better. Having nothing left to learn in junior =/= NHL ready.

The AHL is much better than junior-and the AHL is littered with players who dominate at that level-yet never earn a spot on a NHL roster. Tambellini is an obvious perfect example of this. You're example of Nino's 4 pts in 6 games is sad. Tambo frequently was at a PPG-and we all saw what he was able to do in the NHL. Then there's Krog. Nino being merely "above average" means he's really not ready for the NHL yet.

If you can't tell the difference between not-yet fully matured teenagers playing defense against you in junior (overwhelming majority who'll never step foot in NHL ice), versus fully grown adult men at the NHL level-I'm shocked. Nino could get away with having his head down in juniors-in the NHL they'll light you up...and that's what happened. Lesson learned.


I'm not saying Nino isn't going to amount to anything. I'm just saying look at all the Isles' prospect that aren't panning out....now look around the NHL where the ones are. Difference? Development. Getzlaf dominated the WHL 03...and guess what he did? played there in 04 and 05...you think the Ducks made the wrong call, because Getzlaf obviously had "nothing left to learn"?

Here's a question I'd love to see the supporters of the way this team develops youngsters answer: other than Tavares, who was the last player the Islanders drafted that panned out for them? by my accounts....you have to go back more than 10 years.
There are 28 other teams besides the Islanders and Red Wings. I guess all 29 are doing it wrong too then because they don't adhere to the RW model. And lets be completely honest, being able to spend to the cap on FAs certainly allows you to be more patient with their prospects, something that over half the teams in the league cannot do. People that compare us to the RW (OTH is notorious for that) seem to convienently leave that out.

That said, is Edmonton wrong with RNH? Philly with Coutourier? Colorado with Landeskog? Its easy to say they belong now, after they've each had a full nine games and are productive, but why shouldn't Nino have been given the same chance? He got hurt during his nine game stint and who knows what wouldve happened after game nine.

Injuries, concussions-specifically, happen in every level, of every league. Are you saying that if you get one, your not ready to play in that league? That fact that Nino got a concussion is largely irrelevant. It wasn't a lack of development that caused his concussion...he wasn't skating with his head down in the commonly used sense. He was looking down to gain possession of the puck and Fistric timed his hit just right (regardless of the legality of the hit). I've seen that numerous times in my lifetime. Just two seasons ago with Okposo immediately comes to mind.

It wasn't a lack of skill or readiness to play in the NHL that caused Nino's concussion nor was it a case of the Islanders' rushing a prospect. Nino deserved a chance to earn his spot on this team just like Eric Stall, Nathan Horton, Dustin Brown all did. Those guys are the leaders of '03 draft class and played in the NHL in 04....were they "rushed" too?


Last edited by ferrisUML: 12-06-2011 at 10:45 AM.
ferrisUML is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 10:43 AM
  #90
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Here's a question I'd love to see the supporters of the way this team develops youngsters answer: other than Tavares, who was the last player the Islanders drafted that panned out for them? by my accounts....you have to go back more than 10 years.
While I understand what your saying and I agree (the Islanders have not developed a single, true impact player in some time), players like Hamonic and Martin are examples of players your argument omits. But so much of your point is is due to the fact that we drafted really, really ****** for years from 1999 to 2007.

ferrisUML is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
  #91
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
OK you have valid points but please allow me to retort:
Whenever I hear the argument "the Islanders haven't developed any prospects" I feel it is a misleading statement. Milbury traded away so many prospects that did develop (and they did not get sent back to the AHL by the team that acquired them they developed them on their roster). Snow cannot be made an example of because of the sins of others.
Secondly, there are many players that dominate the Juniors and AHL that never make it to the NHL simply because they were left in the lower levels to long and developed bad habits because it was to easy for them. The NHL is a tough game and needs to be learned IN the NHL.
Lastly, I worked for a very successful company that had a management philosophy that I believe the good NHL teams adhere to. To successfully run our production facilities we would hire one supervisor from the college ranks (eg:juniors), one from internal(eg:AHL) and one with outside experience (eg:free agents). This would breed a good atmosphere of youthful enthusiasm, good company loyalty, and good field experience. I don't think the problem with Nino is that he is not ready, it is that he does not have the proper experienced players teaching/showing him the NHL game(it does not help that he was hurt to start the year and is "behind" the other players).
In closing it is most important to have proper talent evaluators to know who is ready at a young age and who is not. There are many examples of players who have made it in the NHL as an 18/19 year old and many who have not.
First thing, let's stop making MM be the boogeyman. He hasn't been the GM in almost 6 years now. Enough it enough. Snow has been GM more than long enough to evaluate fairly. And quite frankly other than Tavares (who was a no-brainer), none of his picks have turned out.

And as for the end of your post-and others here, it's wrong to loo at 18/19 year old exceptions, and expect our players to be that. Players who're ready to jump in right away and make a difference are already known about. They're the exception to the rule. Those are the guys who are ready to go-and they dominate the NHL right away. Nino is NOT that kind of talent.

Someone mentioned RNH, but let's look at a teammate who's playing very well too: Eberle. He was drafted in 08, Oilers kept him in juniors, until he was able to play in the AHL-where he did. That certainly didn't kill his career.

My point is you can't look at the cream of the crop (the top 2, sometimes 3 guys of a draft), and apply that to all prospects.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Your Getzlaf argument won't hold water, because it was either play in the AHL, or don't play. That was the year of the season-long lockout. But other than that, your premise is accurate.
You'd be right if Getzlaf played in the AHL in 05 (he saw 10 playoff games-and that's it)


Last edited by ScaredStreit: 12-06-2011 at 02:18 PM.
ScaredStreit is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
  #92
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
While I understand what your saying and I agree (the Islanders have not developed a single, true impact player in some time), players like Hamonic and Martin are examples of players your argument omits. But so much of your point is is due to the fact that we drafted really, really ****** for years from 1999 to 2007.
Hamonic is a great example of a prospect being rushed. And yes I said this BEFORE his season so far. Martin quite frankly isn't that great of a player.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
There are 28 other teams besides the Islanders and Red Wings. I guess all 29 are doing it wrong too then because they don't adhere to the RW model. And lets be completely honest, being able to spend to the cap on FAs certainly allows you to be more patient with their prospects, something that over half the teams in the league cannot do. People that compare us to the RW (OTH is notorious for that) seem to convienently leave that out.

That said, is Edmonton wrong with RNH? Philly with Coutourier? Colorado with Landeskog? Its easy to say they belong now, after they've each had a full nine games and are productive, but why shouldn't Nino have been given the same chance? He got hurt during his nine game stint and who knows what wouldve happened after game nine.

Injuries, concussions-specifically, happen in every level, of every league. Are you saying that if you get one, your not ready to play in that league? That fact that Nino got a concussion is largely irrelevant. It wasn't a lack of development that caused his concussion...he wasn't skating with his head down in the commonly used sense. He was looking down to gain possession of the puck and Fistric timed his hit just right (regardless of the legality of the hit). I've seen that numerous times in my lifetime. Just two seasons ago with Okposo immediately comes to mind.

It wasn't a lack of skill or readiness to play in the NHL that caused Nino's concussion nor was it a case of the Islanders' rushing a prospect. Nino deserved a chance to earn his spot on this team just like Eric Stall, Nathan Horton, Dustin Brown all did. Those guys are the leaders of '03 draft class and played in the NHL in 04....were they "rushed" too?
Let's look at that 03 draft, and see what happened. You can't omit players who weren't rushed, and pretend like they didn't exist.

Now here's a short-list of players drafted in the 03 draft who didn't play until after the lockout...that's 3 years later:

-Corey Perry, Jeff Carter, Ryan Suter, Mike Richards, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Dion Phaneuf Braydon Coburn, Milan Michalek

So you named 3 that played right away and worked out, and as you can see I named significantly more.

(PS-Zherdev was also rushed, obviously omission).

I don't suppose you're suggesting that all these players (and teams) made the wrong decision by not allowing their players to try and jump into the NHL right away are you?

As a side note, I never compared them to the RW so I have no idea where you get that from. As I mentioned before all the players you're mentioning are exceptions-what's so hard to get about that? Let's look at the 03 draft shall we?


Last edited by ScaredStreit: 12-06-2011 at 02:15 PM.
ScaredStreit is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
  #93
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
First thing, let's stop making MM be the boogeyman. He hasn't been the GM in almost 6 years now. Enough it enough. Snow has been GM more than long enough to evaluate fairly. And quite frankly other than Tavares (who was a no-brainer), none of his picks have turned out.

And as for the end of your post-and others here, it's wrong to loo at 18/19 year old exceptions, and expect our players to be that. Players who're ready to jump in right away and make a difference are already known about. They're the exception to the rule. Those are the guys who are ready to go-and they dominate the NHL right away. Nino is NOT that kind of talent.

Someone mentioned RNH, but let's look at a teammate who's playing very well too: Eberle. He was drafted in 08, Oilers kept him in juniors, until he was able to play in the AHL-where he did. That certainly didn't kill his career.

My point is you can't look at the cream of the crop (the top 2, sometimes 3 guys of a draft), and apply that to all prospects.
OK but you are the one who wrote that you would have to go back more than 10 years, Snow wasn't here then? He has Tavares, Okposo(not picked by snow but playing/developing under snow), Bailey, Martin, MacDonald(see Okposo), and Hamonic all playing in the NHL(really not that many "rushed"). I think Snow has quite a few prospects developing all over. I personally think some of these guys are here because they are ready. I am not a Snow supporter but I am tired of this guy was rushed as an easy way out excuse. It actually may take more than 6 whole games for Nino to figure it out...

PROMputt is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
  #94
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,674
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
OK but you are the one who wrote that you would have to go back more than 10 years, Snow wasn't here then? He has Tavares, Okposo(not picked by snow but playing/developing under snow), Bailey, Martin, MacDonald(see Okposo), and Hamonic all playing in the NHL(really not that many "rushed"). I think Snow has quite a few prospects developing all over. I personally think some of these guys are here because they are ready. I am not a Snow supporter but I am tired of this guy was rushed as an easy way out excuse. It actually may take more than 6 whole games for Nino to figure it out...
-Tavares is an exception, while Okposo, bailey and Hamonic have all been rushed. Like it or not those three aren't living to potential. And Martin is a scrub to be blunt.

-To be fair Macdonald's 25. He wasn't rushed. If anything-that supports my argument that it's ok to wait.

edit: Snow's been the GM for almost 6 years now, and only ONE prospect has panned out thus far...that's not being successful.

ScaredStreit is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 02:47 PM
  #95
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
-Tavares is an exception, while Okposo, bailey and Hamonic have all been rushed. Like it or not those three aren't living to potential. And Martin is a scrub to be blunt.

-To be fair Macdonald's 25. He wasn't rushed. If anything-that supports my argument that it's ok to wait.

edit: Snow's been the GM for almost 6 years now, and only ONE prospect has panned out thus far...that's not being successful.
What do you expect out of these three? The average age of those three players is 22 years old. If they all ended up being bust then you can say that. But way to early to tell and none of them are close to being busts. just imagine if every teams prospects reached their potential. it would be the 80's all over again. Not saying they werent rushed, but to say they arent living up to their potential is extremely premature. You can only expect so much from kids. Bailey maybe the only one that will end up that way if I had to guess only because he is showing he isnt ready for the NHL. Okposo brings a lot outside of offense and I have been very impressed with Hamonic so far though he started slow this year.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
  #96
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,655
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
-Tavares is an exception, while Okposo, bailey and Hamonic have all been rushed. Like it or not those three aren't living to potential. And Martin is a scrub to be blunt.

-To be fair Macdonald's 25. He wasn't rushed. If anything-that supports my argument that it's ok to wait.

edit: Snow's been the GM for almost 6 years now, and only ONE prospect has panned out thus far...that's not being successful.
Ok but then I do not understand you argument as you are contradicting yourself. Snow has drafted 2008 to 2011. Let's concentrate on 1st and 2nd round picks because that is what tends to be 'rushed.' Snow has made 12 first and second round picks and only 4 have been 'rushed' to the NHL(2 of which, Tavares and Hamonic are probably the best at their position on the team). The rest are developing. So which is it, none are panning out or rushing?
And by the way, I totally disagree with your assessment of Martin.

PROMputt is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 03:20 PM
  #97
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Hamonic is a great example of a prospect being rushed. And yes I said this BEFORE his season so far. Martin quite frankly isn't that great of a player.




Let's look at that 03 draft, and see what happened. You can't omit players who weren't rushed, and pretend like they didn't exist.

Now here's a short-list of players drafted in the 03 draft who didn't play until after the lockout...that's 3 years later:

-Corey Perry, Jeff Carter, Ryan Suter, Mike Richards, Thomas Vanek, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Dion Phaneuf Braydon Coburn, Milan Michalek

So you named 3 that played right away and worked out, and as you can see I named significantly more.

(PS-Zherdev was also rushed, obviously omission).

I don't suppose you're suggesting that all these players (and teams) made the wrong decision by not allowing their players to try and jump into the NHL right away are you?

As a side note, I never compared them to the RW so I have no idea where you get that from. As I mentioned before all the players you're mentioning are exceptions-what's so hard to get about that? Let's look at the 03 draft shall we?
Streit, you missed my point. My whole argument was:

1. Nino was not rushed due to his concussion. Yes, he got a concussion from a borderline hit, but nothing about him playing Jrs for two years and being 19 played any part of that. Further, he was on a nine game tryout with the club...he earned at least that.

2. The whole concept of "rushed" vs "not-rushed" is completely subjective and statistics can be used to prove any side of the argument that you side with. Why? You can never prove that those players you mentioned would'nt be the same players they are today if they went right into the NHL. Conversely, you cannot prove that those who I mentioned that made the jump to the NHL directly wouldn't be better today had they played through either full years of JR eligibility.

Some players, even after years of dominating the Jr and AHL ranks cannot become successful NHLers. It happens. Other players can jump into the league immediately at 18/19 yo (Skinner, RNH, etc) and that doesn't mean their development is being mishandled.

ferrisUML is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 03:23 PM
  #98
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Redneck Riveria
Country: United States
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
-Tavares is an exception, while Okposo, bailey and Hamonic have all been rushed. Like it or not those three aren't living to potential. And Martin is a scrub to be blunt.

-To be fair Macdonald's 25. He wasn't rushed. If anything-that supports my argument that it's ok to wait.
Hahahahahahaha.

dude, JT is a once in a lifetime player. Are you really judging everybody by Jt's standards? Do you judge every woman on how Sofia vergara looks?

Do you think everybody on the Isles 4 cup teams was just as good as Mike Bossy?

Martin is what he is. He's a physical player who has some quickness for his size and maybe score 10 15 goals a year in his prime. Hits like a mad man.

A-Mac is what he is. An overacheiver who sometimes is a bit over his head with the best players in the NHL. A good 2 pair d-man, but will never be great.

But you dogging the Hammer makes you look completely ridiculous. Every other fan loves the kid, and how good does a D-Man have to be at 21 for you think he is living up to his potential? he looks like future captain material to me and could anchor the number 1 d pair for many years. Not sure what you want him be, but he is and is going to be good.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
  #99
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Redneck Riveria
Country: United States
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Martin a scrub. Oh God, save us all.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 03:42 PM
  #100
Darth Bangkok
Registered User
 
Darth Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
wasn't the fistric hearing today? I haven't seen anything about it

Darth Bangkok is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.