HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

W In 12 of 14, Points in 13 of 15, No Longer Underdog. Identity Crisis Risk?

Old
12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
IAMREALITY
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
W In 12 of 14, Points in 13 of 15, No Longer Underdog. Identity Crisis Risk?

Ya know, first thing I wanna say is that I'm not exactly used to this. I'm not used to seeing us in the top of the Power Rankings, or in the talking head's top teams to beat lists; and as fellow Ranger fans I'm sure you're all probably not too used to this either.

Now I'll say, feels friggin great don't it? I can't wait for each game. But then I'm thinking: Our whole identity is one of underdogs rising to the challenge of champions ya know? We thrive on being the underdogs. It's just a challenge we've always embraced; sometimes succeeding and other times falling on our faces.

But now, it's not just us spewing out different homer type LGR's and "We're awesome"'s in threads to make ourselves feel good. Not this year. As it goes right now, our secret's kinda outta the box: We're a tough team to play against; and we're now regarded in about every circle as one of a handful of teams to beat.

This is just kinda starting to happen now. But as the talk builds I start to wonder: Will we suffer an identity crisis when we're no longer looked at as an underdog scratching and clawing their way but instead as legitimates? I so badly want our team to be mentally tough enough to not get ahead of themselves, to continue to be consistent no matter the outside opinion. But we all know things like this happen: A team, or even individuals, are no longer considered underdogs, and then things start to unravel.

Just curious your opinions on that; since we are in certain ways in new territory for this young team. Can Cally keep 'em focused? I'd bet he can. But then I'm also fairly emotionally invested and may not have purely objective thoughts on the matter.

I want us to be contenders. Course, we all want that. But this year? I say why not. Why the heck not. We're doin this so far without Staal, with Prust being half the man he was, with Dubi being a third of the man he was (Has he fought at all yet this year btw?). All three of those can only go up right? We can only get better?

It's tough to go from an underdog to a team to beat. Do we have what it takes to stay within ourselves or will we become like Rocky in Rocky III?

I love this team right now. I want us to slide into first and then stay there. Period. What are your expectations now that we're entering Pittsburgh and Philly like Territory?

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I don't think we are in the territory of pittsburgh and company yet. They have become who they are because of a consistent performance season to season and not just for a long stretch of games in a year. Are the boys playing well right now? Of course but things can change very quickly and this team is going to be an underdog all year with people waiting for the other shoe to drop. Long way to go before we can claim that our team is in the same group as other elite teams. We have moved up in our group but not to that group yet.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I almost kind of miss the underdog treatment. The upsets, the us-against-the-world feel of it. We still have that from the proclaimed "Elite" teams, but now with a grudging respect. Still, after our record, we have managed to turn heads, with less and less people expecting us to fizzle out. Not like Toronto.

Next year, we'll have Kreider. And who knows how soon Erixon will be ready to go. Don't forget getting Staal back.

Let go get a god damn cup.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I dont think the Rangers, or any New York City team in general, has ever been viewed as underdogs.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont think the Rangers, or any New York City team in general, has ever been viewed as underdogs.
Giants in the '07 playoffs

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The Rangers have been viewed as underdogs as recent as last season against Washington in the playoffs.

This is nothing to be concerned over. It's the process and this team is maturing and going through that process together. It's another step of many -- good teams don't go forever being known as underdogs. There comes a time that label shifts towards the better if the brass is doing something right.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:06 PM
beastly115

Pretty sure we're still underdogs. At least judging by the main board we are. Most people on the main board consider Washington better than us at this point.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
To be honest I still think we're viewed as underdogs until we have some success in the playoffs, or at the very least have a few consecutive home ice seasons.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

the only identity crisis that can take place is if this team starts to believe they are out performing other teams skill wise and that's what's getting the job done. They win mostly when they outwork opponents and they get more shots on goal.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Giants in the '07 playoffs
OK good point with that one.

Maybe Im just talking about the whole aura of New York and how its viewed around the country rather than a season by season basis.

I think theres a difference between sucking and "being an underdog"

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
I sure felt like an underdog in 07' in Wisconsin rooting for the Giants while the rest of the state was wearing Green and Gold.

Got a lot of guff the rest of that month...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:26 PM
IAMREALITY
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The Rangers have been viewed as underdogs as recent as last season against Washington in the playoffs.

This is nothing to be concerned over. It's the process and this team is maturing and going through that process together. It's another step of many -- good teams don't go forever being known as underdogs. There comes a time that label shifts towards the better if the brass is doing something right.
You really hit the nail on the head as far as where I'm kinda coming from. But my question is: Are we seeing that shift and if so, are we up for it?

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:
As others have said, the 07 Giants, and I'd even consider the 96' Yankees as an underdog as well (crazy as it sounds).

They weren't The Yankees as we know them today at that time.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
OK good point with that one.

Maybe Im just talking about the whole aura of New York and how its viewed around the country rather than a season by season basis.

I think theres a difference between sucking and "being an underdog"
NY seems to relish the "underdog" label...whilst being extremely proud and having high expectations for their team at the same time.

It's hard to describe.

Alvvays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Miller Time NYR

dont really see the big deal here, the teams going to play the way they play regardless of how their viewed around the league or by media. Id personally much rather go into a game or a playoff series knowing we can win with a mix of grit and skill than go into it saying maybe we have a shot but will have to play a boring(imo) grind it out style to ware the opponent down and pull out the win; which if i might add i dont think would work against teams like philly, washington, and pitt in a 7 game series; example A that last series against washington. But like i said the team will play the same way regardless people just know now that we can win and its not always a can we or do we need luck to win we have the perfect mix of grit with cally,dubi,prust and guys of the upper echelon in offensive talent of gaborik and richards.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:36 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
NY seems to relish the "underdog" label...whilst being extremely proud and having high expectations for their team at the same time.

It's hard to describe.
It's called "covering your bases". If our teams do well we can say "see...I told you so", and if they do poorly we can say "well, we were the underdog".

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
It's called "covering your bases". If our teams do well we can say "see...I told you so", and if they do poorly we can say "well, we were the underdog".
That's what I did after the Rangers lost to the Caps in '09. Lol.

Old
12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Nyrvana

I think we are still the "underdog" against teams like Pitt and Caps. We've been good, but this is a short stretch. Pitt and Caps have been good for years! So until we win the Eastern Conference - we are underdogs.

Identity Crisis? No. Not with Torts yelling at them for every stupid play they make. Torts will continue to have this team work hard no matter what our record is.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
I think we are still the "underdog" against teams like Pitt and Caps. We've been good, but this is a short stretch. Pitt and Caps have been good for years! So until we win the Eastern Conference - we are underdogs.

Identity Crisis? No. Not with Torts yelling at them for every stupid play they make. Torts will continue to have this team work hard no matter what our record is.
Pittsburgh, maybe, but the Capitals? They are not a contender at the moment. Questionable goaltending, aside from Carlson and Alzner, their defense is suspect (Gren is amazing, but he's getting hurt a ton), and without Ovechkin/Semin producing, Backstrom is the only consistent offensive threat.

The Rangers are a better team than them at the moment.

Old
12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
The Jets in the AFC the last two years werent supposed to get to that Championship round, either... as far as underdogs go.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Rangerfans

We haven't earned anything at the moment.

Some people will argue that we're simply hot at the moment...and they're 100% validated with that statement because we haven't WON anything yet. Our playoff record is not impressive, we aren't even half way through the season.

So while i am enjoying this run, I do shake my head and facepalm when I see all these arrogant posts about the New York Rangers. Last time I saw the board this confident was against Montreal in that 4-0 rout.

We do not have the talent to be arrogant.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfans View Post
We haven't earned anything at the moment.

Some people will argue that we're simply hot at the moment...and they're 100% validated with that statement because we haven't WON anything yet. Our playoff record is not impressive, we aren't even half way through the season.

So while i am enjoying this run, I do shake my head and facepalm when I see all these arrogant posts about the New York Rangers. Last time I saw the board this confident was against Montreal in that 4-0 rout.

We do not have the talent to be arrogant.
Disagree, we have the talent to be arrogant, what we don't have is past results to back it up.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
ohbaby

This team has been believing in themselves the past 2 years now. Ever since making the push to the playoffs that ended in Philly. They know they can compete against anybody. Whether the rest of the league or the analyst thinks of them as underdogs, is their business.

I was confident the Rangers could comeback vs the Caps in the playoffs last year. But after losing game 4 in double OT at home,...after leading 3-0 in the second, sealed their fate.

What I'm try to say is,... this team already has an arrogant flare about them. And righty so. It all starts with believing in themselves and their teamates.

They had a couple of setbacks the last 2 years (losing to Philly n the Caps) but they never stopped believing.

Now with havng the same team back this year,... with the addition of Richards and a few callups, we are finally getting the respect we deserve.

We might not finish 30 games over .500 or win the Presidents Trophy, but atleast we will earn the respect.

PS... If we play .500 hockey the rest of the season, we would probably finish in the 8th spot and make the playoffs.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Crease

I feel that fans prefer the underdog label more than the players do.

Would definitely prefer if this team had more swagger and killer instinct though.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote