HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks' Hamhuis Showing his Offensive Upside

Old
12-05-2011, 03:04 AM
Wisp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
I think this is pretty unfair to Edler and Rome who are both smart hockey players (Maybe slightly below Hamhuis/Salo, but certainly not by much). Edler still makes some poor reads at times but no more so than your average top four D-man in this league. And Rome may not have any offensive IQ but he reads the play defensively extremely well. Definitely has hockey smarts, just lacks any talent.

Bieksa is hard to get a read on. I mean from December of last year until Hamuis got hurt in the finals he was arguably the team's most reliable D-man besides Hamhuis. So is it hockey smarts Bieksa lacks, or just motivation? Ballard I sadly have to agree on, amazing how poor he reads the ice both with and without the puck. Alberts is also not very smart on the ice.
Using advanced statistics to get a read, Bieksa has been the same reliable player all season, but has suffered some pretty terrible luck early on.

What's happening now is things are evening out. The numbers balance themselves over 82 games and the end result is now more reflective of his actual play.

I love reading about advanced stats, sheds so much light on why the Canucks make certain decisions. It's good the coaching staff understands this stuff and is willing to be patient.

Wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:13 AM
YogiCanucks

I'm sure I've said this before but my ONE complaint about Hammer is he doesn't seem to have another gear to play up to in big games when everyone else is going that much faster and trying that much harder. Perhaps that's just a product of being so good all the time [as opposed to KB3 who brings his game up like 17,000 levels]. But he seems to lack that innate ability to take control of big games as you might see Weber or Keith do.

But other than that he's been unbelievable for us. The scouting report on Hamhuis from Nashville was he was supersolid 95% of the time and the other 5% he'd be making Marc-Andre Bergeron-esque gaffs. Not so! We've seen Hamhuis have bad games (and last year he did seem to have have these brief hiccups in his game) but he's really zoned in at the moment, rarely making mistakes.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:21 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic View Post
Reminds me of former Canuck Mattias Ohlund to be honest. Physical, smart, good offensively, defensively, and always calm.
They are very similar in many ways for sure. Hammer is the better skater though. Ohlund's play really tailed off after the lockout, he was just a step behind. Hammer is just such a smooth skater.

What I love about him the most, is his ability to make quick turns with the puck in the corner and behind his own net to avoid being checked. Just no panic in his game.

How many times do you see a forward steaming in on him and he makes that quick pivot turn, and keeps possession of the puck while avoiding the on coming player. Then he puts his head up, looks around and calmly makes a great outlet pass. Love this guy so much.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:44 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
They are very similar in many ways for sure. Hammer is the better skater though. Ohlund's play really tailed off after the lockout, he was just a step behind. Hammer is just such a smooth skater.

What I love about him the most, is his ability to make quick turns with the puck in the corner and behind his own net to avoid being checked. Just no panic in his game.

How many times do you see a forward steaming in on him and he makes that quick pivot turn, and keeps possession of the puck while avoiding the on coming player. Then he puts his head up, looks around and calmly makes a great outlet pass. Love this guy so much.
too many to count. he's just so calm back there. IMO he's the 2nd calming influence on the defense behind sami salo. when he got hurt in game 1 of the finals last year, the defense wasnt just the same and it crumbled. IMO DAN HAMHUIS is the "glue of the defense" he's not your typical number 1. that status belongs to edler. hes a decent number 2/3 guy.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:00 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I'm sure I've said this before but my ONE complaint about Hammer is he doesn't seem to have another gear to play up to in big games when everyone else is going that much faster and trying that much harder. Perhaps that's just a product of being so good all the time [as opposed to KB3 who brings his game up like 17,000 levels]. But he seems to lack that innate ability to take control of big games as you might see Weber or Keith do.

But other than that he's been unbelievable for us. The scouting report on Hamhuis from Nashville was he was supersolid 95% of the time and the other 5% he'd be making Marc-Andre Bergeron-esque gaffs. Not so! We've seen Hamhuis have bad games (and last year he did seem to have have these brief hiccups in his game) but he's really zoned in at the moment, rarely making mistakes.
Thats why Weber is a 7 million dollar dman.

and Bieksa takes him game from complete crap to pretty good depending on his mood and how much Hamhuis can cover up for his ridiculous mistakes that night.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Raistlin1022

honestly, I don't care about Bieksa's crappy regular season games so much, I love that he brings passion and toughness when the games matter during the playoffs. you got to have players like that in the trenches during those wars of attrition. Everyone on D has their role to play, and Bieksa is the guy that the team turns to for a big hit and a scrap, who turns around and scores a big goal. That's his repertoire in my books. Hammer is the glue guy that you can depend on at all times, his offense is just gravy, exactly like Ohlund in his heydays.

Raistlin1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I knew Hamhuis had this in him, well maybe not 47 points pace, but I knew he could put up good offensive numbers.

Kind of surprised a lot didn't.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Except for a good part of last season - not even close. Edler, who admittedly has been inconsistant at times; at least he hasn't been poor on the defensive side of the game *most* night this season and for the several seasons before last year. When you're approaching Ballard levels (or worse) many nights this season - you're bad.

You're the highest paid defenseman on the blueline & have been for a number of years now (other than last year) - that means you get greater scrutiny.
I think you might have answered my question.

IMO, it is a pretty close. Edler has flirted with periods where he looked amazing, so has Bieksa. I would have said Edler was looking to put that behind him for stretches last year, but so did Bieksa. Who has the highest upside? That is obvious, but I don't think that the level of criticism has been fair comparatively at all. I mean, look at you lol! How many posts would you have on HF boards were it not for Bieksa? I don't get it.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:53 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
there is no way edler is a dumb hockey player
don'T worry, complaining abouta player being dumb its just the goto explanation for any flaws.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
That is obvious, but I don't think that the level of criticism has been fair comparatively at all. I mean, look at you lol! How many posts would you have on HF boards were it not for Bieksa? I don't get it.
Don't take my word for it - look at the majority of GDT's this season and look at comments about Bieksa's defensive play. Compare that to comments about Edler and get back to me.

For example, take a pretty unbiased knowledgeable poster like "MS". Look at his comments about each defenseman after each game and tell me who by far has played better this season based on his opinion.

In answer to your other question - for example, why I don't get on Ballard's case (as he's been as bad or worse than Bieksa this season and also carries a big salary - not to mention the assets we gave up to get him)....simple, he might not be just any good. We *know* Bieksa can play, much, much better (his "breakout season" wasn't just a fluke) but isn't.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 12-05-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote