HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Approves New Four-Conference Format For Next Season

Old
12-05-2011, 08:14 PM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
NHL Approves New Four-Conference Format For Next Season

I like it. Seems unfair for the west though.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

Quote:
The plan, finalized on Monday would see four separate conferences established to replace the current two-conference, six division system.

The proposed new conferences would be arranged to accommodate both geographical proximity as well as established rivalries.

The existing Northeast division would be expanded to include the league's two Florida-based teams, making a conference of: Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay and Toronto.

Meanwhile, the existing Atlantic Division would gain two teams for a seven-team conference including: Carolina, New Jersey, the New York Islanders, New York Rangers, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Washington.

The Central Division would be modified to form a conference of Mid-Western teams including: Chicago, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, and Winnipeg.

The three Canadian teams from the Northwest Division would join a proposed Western Conference including: Anaheim, Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose and Vancouver.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-05-2011 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Edited to show part of the article
MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:18 PM
PhillyFlying

the first two rounds of the playoffs are going to be war. i like it.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:26 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Speculation is that the Flyers will be with the Pens, Debbies, Rangers, Isles, Caps, and Canes

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I hated the idea at first but now rivalries might actually mean something. I'm excited.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
This setup looks like it could do a lot to boost the finances of FLA and TB.

12-05-2011, 08:34 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Speculation is that the Flyers will be with the Pens, Debbies, Rangers, Isles, Caps, and Canes
It's official.

Does anyone know the playoff setup yet?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
It's official.

Does anyone know the playoff setup yet?

First two rounds are within your division. 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. 2 divisional winners play in conference finals.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
JVR21
G

The competition will be fierce, but we keep all our rivalries and Washington becomes a legitimate rival.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:39 PM
MrHockey1982

The added speculation is what happens with Phoenix next year and it leaves two east teams open for the possibility of expansion. Quebec, Hamilton, or Hartford are possibilities.

Old
12-05-2011, 08:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
The one thing I don't like with this is that I like rivalries with the Canadian teams. Only 2 games a year against Toronto, Montreal, and Boston sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
The added speculation is what happens with Phoenix next year and it leaves two east teams open for the possibility of expansion. Quebec, Hamilton, or Hartford are possibilities.
Hamilton and Hartford aren't under consideration right now.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:44 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

This means we could potentially play the Rangers, Penguins, Devils 20 times in one year... (6 regular season games + 14 possible playoff games)... all that hatred... all that blood... I hope they have enough ambulances...

edit: I guess we could potentially do that now too, but I'm sure the chances are higher now.

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:48 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
The one thing I don't like with this is that I like rivalries with the Canadian teams. Only 2 games a year against Toronto, Montreal, and Boston sucks.

Nobody thought Atlanta was going to move without warning either.

I really like this. Next year will be sick looking.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:

Where did you hear that? What are the possibilities then?

Old
12-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I dont like it.. Why not just swap Winnipeg and Columbus or Nashville..

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
JVR21
G

Reportedly the Flyers have the easiest travel in the NHL. Perhaps this will be a minor factor in attracting free agents, especially older guys and those with families.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:52 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

It would definatley be Quebec outta those. and this new alignment makes it easier to adjust if that happens. This is good.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

I guess this works better overall for travels sake, and the playoffs more interesting but I don't know if it makes anything more fair in terms of making the playoffs.

I'm going to assume that each conference has 4 teams make the playoffs, and that they battle it out for a conference winner, which would then advance to what would be the semis against another conference. (Quick aside here; would the playoff semis be round robin from year to year, or will they always be Atlantic v NE, and Central v West?) While that's great for rivalries in the first two rounds of the playoffs, there will be a slight advantage to being in one of the conferences with 7 teams, as you only have to be in the top 4 of 7 teams, and not 8.

I mean baseball just only now evened it out to 15 teams per league, as it was an issue that it was statistically easier to get into the AL playoffs (4 of 14 teams go) as opposed to the NL (4 of 16 teams go), and the NHL seems to be doing the opposite. Then again Baseball's marathon is the regular season and a postseason berth is more of a reward, whereas in the NHL the real meat grinder is the playoffs themselves.

Bah, perhaps I'm just nitpicking a bit.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:54 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
It would definatley be Quebec outta those. and this new alignment makes it easier to adjust if that happens. This is good.

I agree but who would be the other team?

Old
12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
There's a possibility of two East-coast teams in the Cup Finals (ex. Boston vs. Philly).

Quote:
The division winners would be re-seeded for the Conference Finals based on regular season points totals. This opens up the possibility that two teams that are currently in the same conference could conceivably play each other in the Stanley Cup Final.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:58 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
I guess this works better overall for travels sake, and the playoffs more interesting but I don't know if it makes anything more fair in terms of making the playoffs.

I'm going to assume that each conference has 4 teams make the playoffs, and that they battle it out for a conference winner, which would then advance to what would be the semis against another conference. (Quick aside here; would the playoff semis be round robin from year to year, or will they always be Atlantic v NE, and Central v West?) While that's great for rivalries in the first two rounds of the playoffs, there will be a slight advantage to being in one of the conferences with 7 teams, as you only have to be in the top 4 of 7 teams, and not 8.

I mean baseball just only now evened it out to 15 teams per league, as it was an issue that it was statistically easier to get into the AL playoffs (4 of 14 teams go) as opposed to the NL (4 of 16 teams go), and the NHL seems to be doing the opposite. Then again Baseball's marathon is the regular season and a postseason berth is more of a reward, whereas in the NHL the real meat grinder is the playoffs themselves.

Bah, perhaps I'm just nitpicking a bit.

I really think it's geared towards expanding to 32 teams. Isn't the NHL making the most money it's ever made? If so, what would stop the league from expanding?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Semi-finals would be by re-seeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Where did you hear that? What are the possibilities then?
In Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts today, he wrote that if the Coyotes move, it's between Quebec, Las Vegas, KC and Seattle. QC, KC, and Seattle get discusses the most. With the alignment the way it's going to be, it's obvious they've left a spot open for Quebec as opposed to moving Detroit or Columbus over.

The Business board here discusses it at length at times. Hamilton and Hartford have been discussed, but they're under less consideration than other markets. Hartford still doesn't have a new arena, and aren't that much closer than when the Whalers moved out.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Sucks for Tampa/Florida, who now have to play 1/4 their season in Canada/Boston/Buffalo.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Oogie Boogie

I'll never see my team in the playoffs again.
QQ

Oogie Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:06 PM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Semi-finals would be by re-seeding.

In Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts today, he wrote that if the Coyotes move, it's between Quebec, Las Vegas, KC and Seattle. QC, KC, and Seattle get discusses the most. With the alignment the way it's going to be, it's obvious they've left a spot open for Quebec as opposed to moving Detroit or Columbus over.

The Business board here discusses it at length at times. Hamilton and Hartford have been discussed, but they're under less consideration than other markets. Hartford still doesn't have a new arena, and aren't that much closer than when the Whalers moved out.

OK cool. But those cities are all in the West. How would the conferences be even?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
BobbyC16

Would there be much of a market in Vegas?

They should go back to the old Smythe, Norris, Adams and Patrick divisions

BobbyC16 is offline   Reply With Quote