HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 24 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Artem Anisimov 59 86.76%
Ryan Callahan 3 4.41%
Michael Del Zotto 8 11.76%
Ruslan Fedotenko 9 13.24%
Marian Gaborik 30 44.12%
Dan Girardi 5 7.35%
Carl Hagelin 3 4.41%
Henrik Lundqvist 4 5.88%
Ryan McDonagh 6 8.82%
John Mitchell 2 2.94%
Brandon Prust 3 4.41%
Brad Richards 0 0%
Michael Sauer 2 2.94%
Derek Stepan 31 45.59%
Other 5 7.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Orr Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No. At least it shouldn't. It was a clean body-on-body check. Sauer had his head down. A little pissed off no one stood up for him. If it was anyone else on the ice and Sauer had been out there he would have at least stepped up and went for Phaneuf. Lack of balls.
Who is going to stick up with him....all this nonsense that the Rangers have enough grit...that is what happens...Leafs blend speed with size...we have Prust...that's it!

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:09 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

I didnt watch the game, but from what I could ascertain, speed of the leafs killed us again. How are we going to combat this? This is very worrisome.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I didnt watch the game, but from what I could ascertain, speed of the leafs killed us again. How are we going to combat this? This is very worrisome.
Speed of the Leafs killed us early and then we seemed to adjust/manage it for the most part IMO. If the can start better next time around, the result should be different.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I thought Anisimov played well and Gaborik picked it up in the 2nd half of the game. Everyone else either flat out sucked or were unimpressive.

The Rangers have been kinda lax on D for about a week now, and tonight it was finally too much to overcome. Kessel and Lupul made a mockery of this team tonight, dancing around as if they were a bunch of figure skating Skinners.

Also, the Leafs started to get real physical towards the end of the game, and the Rangers didn't respond at all. Phaneuf on Sauer and then Schenn on Ansimov less than a minute later. The Rangers just laid down and took it without a fight.

Callahan and Del Zotto should spend some time with a Shooter Tutor after this game.
Teams roughing up the Rangers is only going to escalate..we play a grinding game but when things get dirty and rough...we just crawl up in a ball and hide because we have no one outside of Prust who can do anything about it.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Also, is it time to sit Dubi/Boyle for a few games and let MZA show what he has?
Yes, lets get softer.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Yes, lets get softer.
At what point this season has Dubi given them any 'toughness'?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
At what point this season has Dubi given them any 'toughness'?
He doesn't exactly hit but he sticks up for his teammates. My biggest issue is Boyle...the guy is 7 foot 8 and as soft as Eric Christensen.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:17 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Wasn't that bad of a game. The first half was just....terrible, but the last half, they dominated. They just couldn't come up with GTG/GWG this time.

We're going to lose some, and while this is definitely disappointing given how close we came to getting at least a point of it at the end, it was bound to happenj eventually. Unlike the games in Florida/Montreal, the Rangers outplayed the Leafs for significant portions of this game. They just seemed to lack sophistication and finish tonight.

What really pissed me off was the last 5 minutes - the Leafs were completely running around and no one stood up for the players who kept getting hurt/wrecked. I realize that the focus is to tie the game, but a hit like the one Phaneuf gave needs to be defended against, even if it was clean. Really hope Sauer is okay, if he's not...oh boy. Not pretty.

Also, I agree with OverTheCap completely. I was actually planning on making a point of it, but I digress - even since the Washington game, we've given up 3, 0, 3, 3, 2, and 3 goals against. 15 goals in 6 games. It isn't terrible, but it's not up to the typical standard of defense the Rangers have set. It was really accentuated tonight, they were absolutely manhandled in the defensive zone, incredibly frustrating to watch the Leafs gain strong body position on almost every dump in and attempt at defense by the checkers.

Overall, though, entertaining game. Just need to prevent a crash, keep the momentum this team had at the end of this game and thrust it at the Lightning on Thursday.

Del Zotto, Anisimov, and Boyle are my three stars tonight.

Girardi is my Redden. He wasn't TERRIBLE, but he was far from good. Probably the worst defenseman along with Sauer tonight.

EDIT - forgot to mention Dubinsky. Bench this bum's ass.
recall MZA, put him with hags and mitchell.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:19 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Also, on sauer - how bad? Definitely bad? Or could be ok?

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pugs35

Wait so just because Del Zotto missed the net with the empty net you're all crucifying him? He was easily our best defensemen tonight and was flat out superb at both ends of the ice. He set up 3-4 quality chances in the 3rd and was rock solid back there.

Some of you have a blatant dislike for the kid and it's ridiculous. McDonagh played a terrible game tonight but no one says a thing 'cause he's the golden boy right now.

Anisimov and Stepan were both fantastic as well tonight.

Real glad the team clawed its way back and we just couldn't beat Gustavsson was very good in the 2nd and 3rd. It happens.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
He doesn't exactly hit but he sticks up for his teammates. My biggest issue is Boyle...the guy is 7 foot 8 and as soft as Eric Christensen.
I don't know if it's because he's "soft" as much as he is absolutely and utterly uncoordiated. He has NO idea how to properly use his size on most shifts, as if it's too much for him to handle.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Stepanformayor*

Stepan
AA
Gabby

Why is that Stepan is the guy that goes after Phenuef after the hit on Sauer? I don't know if anyone else saw it but Step took a 10 foot run at him the very next shift. It's sad that he is the guy doing that. SAD!!!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mike14

Quote:
Slammed his head pretty hard. If he doesn't have any concussion signs he should be fine IMO

Old
trilobyte

Hopefully Sauer was only shook up. The fact MDZ came back to play after his crash makes me think there is a good chance he is okay, but that was one awful stretch at the end of the game.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
He seemed to be a step behind on almost every play. Looked pretty awful on the 2nd Leafs' goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Wait so just because Del Zotto missed the net with the empty net you're all crucifying him? He was easily our best defensemen tonight and was flat out superb at both ends of the ice. He set up 3-4 quality chances in the 3rd and was rock solid back there.
Agree, he was awesome tonight. Just keeps improving.

BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
mike14

Quote:

Some of you have a blatant dislike for the kid and it's ridiculous. McDonagh played a terrible game tonight but no one says a thing 'cause he's the golden boy right now.

Real glad the team clawed its way back and we just couldn't beat Gustavsson was very good in the 2nd and 3rd. It happens.
Everyone sees things differently but I thought McD was the best D man and one of the best Rangers tonight while MDZ was average at best....

Old
12-05-2011, 09:23 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I think that this may be the Rangers biggest weakness right now... failure to contain speedy players and not having enough fast players to keep up.

Hagelin's speed is somewhat neutralized by playing with Boyle and Mitchell. He turned on the jets when he was in the midst of a line change when I believe neither Boyle or Mitchell was on the ice. To utilize Hagelin's skating to the fullest extent, he shouldn't be playing with one of the slowest skaters on this team.

However, the lack of speed on D... not sure how they are going to overcome this now or in the future. McDonagh is our best skater by far and every other defensemen is either average or sloooow. We have Erixon and McIlrath waiting in the wings, but I haven't been impressed with Erixon's skating and McIlrath is slow. I hope this doesn't become an Achilles heel for years to come... I could see us having problems with fast teams during a 7-game series.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Viper

I don't care if its a 1 goal game, its the regular season. If someone takes advantage of anyone on your team the way Phaneuf did on Sauer you have to at least go over and get involved. Skating away like nothing happened makes it seem like you don't give a ****. Not a good sign.

I am still a FIRM believer this team needs more toughness somewhere in the line-up. If Prust goes down, which I am surprised he has not fighting all of these guys who are much larger than he is all of the time, this team lacks ANY sort of toughness.

Sauer is too important to lose. Dubinsky should keep his gloves on. Avery is a decent fighter if he needs to be.

Boyle shouldn't fight. Callahan shouldn't fight.

It's not that I want a fight all of the time. Its having guys who can respond and stick up for their teammates. The Rangers are lacking.

Also, Valentenko is still in the minors. If Sauer is out, I would recall him in a heartbeat.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PJay NYR

vCash: 50
Voted Anisimov, Gaborik, Fedotenko. Stepan also had a good game.

Awful first, nice comeback in the 2nd and 3rd period, too bad we couldn't get that third goal, we deserved it IMO.

PJay NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I don't care if its a 1 goal game, its the regular season. If someone takes advantage of anyone on your team the way Phaneuf did on Sauer you have to at least go over and get involved. Skating away like nothing happened makes it seem like you don't give a ****. Not a good sign.

I am still a FIRM believer this team needs more toughness somewhere in the line-up. If Prust goes down, which I am surprised he has not fighting all of these guys who are much larger than he is all of the time, this team lacks ANY sort of toughness.

Sauer is too important to lose. Dubinsky should keep his gloves on. Avery is a decent fighter if he needs to be.

Boyle shouldn't fight. Callahan shouldn't fight.

It's not that I want a fight all of the time. Its having guys who can respond and stick up for their teammates. The Rangers are lacking.

Also, Valentenko is still in the minors. If Sauer is out, I would recall him in a heartbeat.
When's Rupp due back?

Old
12-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Faxius

Quote:

I'm rooting for the kid and I really like him, but he needs to get those pucks on the net. It wasn't just one.
Especially in the last minute with the empty net coming in from the side () and just blasts a slapper wide
and it goes around the boards and down the ice!
He is still young and I have faith in him, he was very solid defensively tonight.

Faxius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:27 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
If Sauer doesn't have a concussion I will be extremely surprised. His helmet popped off and he hit the back of his head on the lip of the boards as he was falling.

He is a pretty tough guy and he went directly to the locker room.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
When's Rupp due back?
He is skating with Staal before/after practices. I would think over a week away at least. And they may give him some extra time as it was a knee injury and they may want him to work on his conditioning.

Old
12-05-2011, 09:30 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If we win against the Bolts, everybody forgets this loss.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:30 PM
DoTheBlue
No chokemon allowed

Bah. Like everyone else said. Bad 1st half, better second half and they fall short. Glad to see they didn't mail it in after 3 - 0. They had some opportunities in the third and couldn't cash them in. Next game. New streak.