HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter not happy, calling out the coaches

Old
12-05-2011, 10:20 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
The context is also missing here. What question prompted this response? What was the situation of the question?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:24 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
yep I remember that being said. Suter and Trotz butting heads again can't be a good thing.
i said it.

I think it is more professional disagreement than personal though. bottom line is Suter is supposed to bring these things up if it is an issue. I am sure he was venting out of frustration because of the loss. There are many factors at play here, but I do not think it is a clash between player and coach. It is something to run with because we are bored.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Legionnaire11

It's not really a big deal right now, and it's not the first time it's happened here. Too many variables to take one quote and run with it. But you still don't want to see it. It always starts with a little rumbling here and there, if not dealt with professionally (behind closed doors between players and coaches) then it has a chance to build up.

Seems to me that IF there's anything to the story here, it will be handled appropriately by Trotz and Suter. As the time or two in the past when a coach was questioned publicly, it never went any farther.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:48 AM
AEM6729

I am ashamed. Me not knowing this news until my husband saw it on Twitter and someone posted it on the boards simultaneously reveals that I get my locally-grown Predators news from the Tennessean exclusively. WTF am I thinking? I'm counting on Josh Cooper to tell me these quotes!

Instead, I was late to the interesting Suter quotes party...but I know all about how "Nashville Predators Might Seek Ticket Tax Increase!!!"

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The context is also missing here. What question prompted this response? What was the situation of the question?
From the sounds of it, the pairings were being switched at will in the middle of the game. Which, to be honest, is pretty normal during a game. He must be frustrated at something else now that I think about it.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
From the sounds of it, the pairings were being switched at will in the middle of the game. Which, to be honest, is pretty normal during a game. He must be frustrated at something else now that I think about it.
Yep. More to this than is being given.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:13 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
My first thought was that's how the forward combinations have been handled for as long as I can remember. The blueliners on this team are a little spoiled. Trotz rarely tinkers with D-men combinations unless there is an injury. Suter never speaks about how line juggling affects the chemistry and consistency of the forwards on the team. But when it affects his performance he whines to the press. If he's frustrated, talk to the coaching staff behind closed doors. If it can't be resolved to his satisfaction, he can sign with another team soon enough.

Last edited by WartracePred: 12-05-2011 at 03:23 PM.
WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:47 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
actually we have seen trotz switch up forwards at will but the defensive pairs are usually pretty well set. I thought it was odd how many different combos were used, too.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I honestly think we need a 2nd pairing dman more than we need a top six forward. Trotz wouldn't have to mess with the pairings all the time if the 2nd pairing was at least adequate, which it is not.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I honestly think we need a 2nd pairing dman more than we need a top six forward. Trotz wouldn't have to mess with the pairings all the time if the 2nd pairing was at least adequate, which it is not.
ding ding ding ding ... give this man a prize

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
was just getting ready to post this in the trade thread, although I think a serviceable 3rd pair guy would be adequate and cost less.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:27 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi

meh nothing to see here other than suter wanting this team to perform... itll be fine..

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Thorn1963
Rookie User

My question is why is Suter saying it and not Weber...If he was just trying to light a fire under the team wouldn't it be Weber?

Thorn1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
glenngineer

I suggested this in the trade thread but we should go after Robidas. Fairly priced with two years remaining on a decent contract. Guy is a good all around player that would solidify the second pairing.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
My first thought was that's how the forward combinations have been handled for as long as I can remember. The blueliners on this team are a little spoiled. Trotz rarely tinkers with D-men combinations unless there is an injury. Suter never speaks about how line juggling affects the chemistry and consistency of the forwards on the team. But when it affects his performance he whines to the press. If he's frustrated, talk to the coaching staff behind closed doors. If it can't be resolved to his satisfaction, he can sign with another team soon enough.
Better a happy Suter as a Pred, with no Trotz, than a happy Trotz as a Pred with no Suter.

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
Better a happy Suter as a Pred, with no Trotz, than a happy Trotz as a Pred with no Suter.
The Trotz-led Predators survived before Suter (and Weber), they'd survive without. That said, people are reading WAY too far into this.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 07:27 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I suggested this in the trade thread but we should go after Robidas. Fairly priced with two years remaining on a decent contract. Guy is a good all around player that would solidify the second pairing.
Yeah, but he's playing on the first pairing in Dallas. No way the Stars trade their TOI leader when they're on top of the Pacific.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
Pattypred

Didn't I read that it was Lambert that does the defense pairings and NOT Trotz?

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:37 PM
braindead

Wonder if it's a Lambert issue. He seems... not Peterson like when interviewed. He may be a great guy but frankly doesn't really come across that well. Anyone know his reputation? If need be, that can be corrected at the end of the year if necessary.

Suter is going to have 6.6M to 7.4M good reasons (per year) to stick around. I'm not too worried.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Wonder if it's a Lambert issue. He seems... not Peterson like when interviewed. He may be a great guy but frankly doesn't really come across that well. Anyone know his reputation? If need be, that can be corrected at the end of the year if necessary.

Suter is going to have 6.6M to 7.4M good reasons (per year) to stick around. I'm not too worried.
Or he can take the same amount somewhere else. Not exactly the best argument.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
When I read the article yesterday I didn't have a problem with it. Suter states that he was unhappy about how the game pairings were managed and that he planned on getting together with the leadership and the coaching staff and that they would sort this all out.

While I think most of us would prefer that Suter didn't speak to the media about it, it happens in most hockey markets when the media sticks their microphones in the right place. Still, Suter did this in a respectful manner and didn't cross any lines.

This isn't a typical Nashville Predator media sound byte, but the team has evolved, the media presence has increased, and I think we're starting to turn that corner a bit.

As far as I'm concerned, when I've coached I always appreciated that if the players had a concern that they didn't hold it back and grumble amongst themselves. Rather I think it's better for them to address this before the next game and get a good dialog going so that both sides can learn from it and maybe resolve the issue prior to the next game.

If Suter had snapped at the coaches on the bench or in the locker room in front of the media, then it would be a MAJOR story. This seems like him talking in a calm manner about an issue he'd like to see addressed and committed to working it out with the coaching staff in a timely manner...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
The Trotz-led Predators survived before Suter (and Weber), they'd survive without. That said, people are reading WAY too far into this.
Subtly implying that only Trotz could coach the Preds? Should have moved Trotz to MIL to train the kids and hired an NHL coach who can win a first round series against a team who isn't stuck playing an injured goaltender---

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
When I read the article yesterday I didn't have a problem with it. Suter states that he was unhappy about how the game pairings were managed and that he planned on getting together with the leadership and the coaching staff and that they would sort this all out.

While I think most of us would prefer that Suter didn't speak to the media about it, it happens in most hockey markets when the media sticks their microphones in the right place. Still, Suter did this in a respectful manner and didn't cross any lines.

This isn't a typical Nashville Predator media sound byte, but the team has evolved, the media presence has increased, and I think we're starting to turn that corner a bit.

As far as I'm concerned, when I've coached I always appreciated that if the players had a concern that they didn't hold it back and grumble amongst themselves. Rather I think it's better for them to address this before the next game and get a good dialog going so that both sides can learn from it and maybe resolve the issue prior to the next game.

If Suter had snapped at the coaches on the bench or in the locker room in front of the media, then it would be a MAJOR story. This seems like him talking in a calm manner about an issue he'd like to see addressed and committed to working it out with the coaching staff in a timely manner...
Only a Suter or a Weber could make these kind of statements and get away with it. Any other player would be sat or dealt after making comments criticizing the way he is being coached.

I re-watched the Sabres game and saw how frustrated Suter was after Adam scored that first Sabres goal. Suter was faked out and ended up sliding across the ice trying to block a shot that was never taken. I don't know if that move was a function of playing with Blum, the other defenseman, or just a poor play on Suter's part.

My advice to Suter would be to tend to his own game and not comment on others or the coaching he is getting. He has been less than stellar IMO in his last half dozen games or so.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Or he can take the same amount somewhere else. Not exactly the best argument.
I fully expect that the Preds will offer him more than he can reasonably bank on making as a UFA. They did with Rinne. Hamhuis still would be here if they had done that with him. In fact, I don't know of a player that wanted to leave here and was willing to risk earning less to do it. I think it's a fine argument.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:27 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I fully expect that the Preds will offer him more than he can reasonably bank on making as a UFA. They did with Rinne. Hamhuis still would be here if they had done that with him. In fact, I don't know of a player that wanted to leave here and was willing to risk earning less to do it. I think it's a fine argument.
Hard to say. Suter and Weber are very, very special players, and if they hit the open market, they could just about set their own price, they wouldn't need to take less money in order to sign elsewhere.

As for Rinne, I like pretty much everyone in the world had to pick up my jaw when I saw what he got, and yes, I do question whether he would have gotten that on the open market. But at the same time, goalies face a weaker market as there's a glut of No.1 goalies. Even though Rinne's level is rare, teams consistently show they're willing to go with less elite goaltending and save the dough for skaters. Not so with big, two-way, reliable, skilled defensemen, who will always get premium dollars.

Hamhuis, yes, seems like he would have stayed if he got a solid offer with a bit of a hometown discount, but he's not on the same level as Weber or Suter, and he in the end also ended up taking less money to play closer to his family in BC.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote