HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: New Four Conference Format Next Year

Old
12-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
My wager is Phoenix is relocated to Quebec, Portland/Seattle have a team within the next 5 years to even out the conferences.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I don't dislike it. Sucks to lose one of our greatest preys in Dallas, but the postseason hockey should be a little more intense. Just have to play it out and see how we like it through experience. Probably most interesting is the potential to balance out the league by adding two more teams into the mix...

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
From what I understand the 4 conference winners will be seated by points. So the SCF could be habs vs pens.
Yeah, if Montreal didn't suck.

Or could be Kings vs Sharks.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yeah, if Montreal didn't suck.

Or could be Kings vs Sharks.
At first I had a thought like that, but then I realized that only one team comes out of each "conference," so the Kings couldn't play the Sharks in the finals (provided they don't do West and East finals before the Cup finals). If they go for the straight 1 - 4 seeding for the last two rounds of the playoffs regardless of conference affiliation, the Kings could end up playing the Wings in the finals.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
At first I had a thought like that, but then I realized that only one team comes out of each "conference," so the Kings couldn't play the Sharks in the finals (provided they don't do West and East finals before the Cup finals). If they go for the straight 1 - 4 seeding for the last two rounds of the playoffs regardless of conference affiliation, the Kings could end up playing the Wings in the finals.
You're right, of course. It could be Kings vs some of our old Western Conference opponents, but never against a team in our own "conference".

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You're right, of course. It could be Kings vs some of our old Western Conference opponents, but never against a team in our own "conference".
Exactly. At first I was imagining a Kings-Canucks final, but then realized they could only meet in the first two rounds.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I also like the idea that the league is eyeing expansion.

The league revenue/attendance/viewership is at a huge high.

And huge markets like Quebec don't even have a team...

Old
12-05-2011, 10:13 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

I love this. Smartest thing the league has done in a long time.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Been a blast, folks....get your beats in now because you won't see us much longer.

12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Fishhead

While I love the concept, this layout is simply not fair to teams in the 8 team conferences. A squad in the 7 team conference has to beat out one less team to make the playoffs. That's huge with the parity in the league. Half the teams in two conferences make the playoffs, while 57% do in the other two.

Carolina, Jersey, and the NYI all are not good and the only one that has any upside for the immediate future is the NYI, and we know how that usually turns out. The playoff teams would be set in that conference from Day 1. Unless of course they expand, in which nothing changes as those conferences will have bottom feeders to fatten up on. If they go with this and I am the Kings, I lobby hard to get Colorado moved to the Central. They are closer to Dallas, Minneapolis, and St. Louis than any other team in the NW sans Phoenix (Who will be likely moving). No reason the Kings can't get a favorable layout out of this. Western teams already travel far more than Eastern ones, so give them 7 teams to balance it out. The East already has enough advantages.

But seriously, no more expansion please. Some franchises are struggling right now, and it's not like there are big markets begging for a team. I don't want to see another work stoppage down the road due to small markets not being able to keep up.

Fishhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:17 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

The toughest part is if you have an incredibly tough team in your "Conference" like the Kings had with Edmonton in the Smythe Division in the 80s. Assuming that your team is playing well, you can count on meeting that team in the 2nd round every year.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
The toughest part is if you have an incredibly tough team in your "Conference" like the Kings had with Edmonton in the Smythe Division in the 80s. Assuming that your team is playing well, you can count on meeting that team in the 2nd round every year.
And thus epic rivalries are renewed/spawned

Old
12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

BREAKING NEWS - Conference Realignment

Realignment Confirmed

On the Fly gives the preliminary details about league realignment that has been confirmed at the Board of Governors meeting.

Click HERE to watch!

Hradek at Board of Governors Part Three

EJ Hradek gives the latest on the confirmed league realignment from the Board of Governors meeting.

Click HERE to watch!

Analysis of Conference Realignment

On the Fly discusses the impact of conference realignment approved by the Board of Governors.

Click HERE to watch!

Board of Governors - Bill Daly

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly talks with EJ Hradek about the recently approved conference realignment.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
And thus epic rivalries are renewed/spawned
... or your team get crushed year after year - been there, done that

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:23 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Well, it looks like we won't be making any trades with Edmonton, Calgary, or Vancouver after this year

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Been a blast, folks....get your beats in now because you won't see us much longer.
It sucked when Turco didn't stay with the Stars. But now this, so sad.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Yea exactly. For years it was a given the Kings were never going to make it out of their division.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:26 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

This is going to take some time to get used to. As of now, I'm not a big fan of this new direction....I'll get over it after a long summer of no hockey.

BehindEnemyLines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:27 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Hate it. More home games against canadian teams sucks.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
How is that different then what we have now? I mean...essentially Vancouver, Detroit, San Jose have been the top 3 seeds almost every year for a while...with the bottom seeds being a combo of Nashville, LA, Anaheim, Phoenix.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Fishhead

Keep in mind the Kings miss the playoffs last year under this system. Dallas with fewer points, makes it.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Keep in mind the Kings miss the playoffs last year under this system. Dallas with fewer points, makes it.
Er misread first time. True true.

Old
12-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
It's a bit misleading comparing last seasons results to this new format as we don't know how the Kings will perform with a newly revised schedule under this format. Remember, they will play a home-and-home series against every team in the East.

I don't have a problem with the format, and it also gives the league flexibility in case they do decide to expand in the future to 32 teams.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:46 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

going to miss you guys, we had great games and memories! good luck and lets enjoy our last season together!! cheers

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Well it's a good thing there aren't any 80's Oilers hanging around anywhere these days.

Quote:
Keep in mind that you can't really take points from one schedule format and equate them to a different potential point total in a different schedule format. Not that the Kings wouldn't have ended up missing the playoffs under this new alignment anyway, but it's just different.

You really can't look at it that way anyway. If the 3rd round ends up being reseeded, then none of the conferences will be exclusively bound together. So what would happen in one conference has little to do with what happens in another. Every team knows what they'll need to do in order to make the playoffs starting next year, so if you do better than the teams that you're competing with for a playoff spot, then you'll be fine. There's no crying in baseball, and there isn't any in hockey either. If you're the 5th place team in one conference, but have a better record than some 4th place team in another, it's going to even out over the years, so just suck it up and deal with it.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote