HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Approves New Four-Conference Format For Next Season

Old
12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 900
Sounds as if that re-seeding (final four teams) is NOT guaranteed from what Bettman just said.

It seems as though the GMs will make that call at future meetings.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:12 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Personally either way I don't expect they leave the conferences unbalanced for long, I think 32 teams in the league is a real possibility very soon. Maybe Phx keeps their team and QC and someone else gets a team. Who knows

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Personally, I'll still have a strong, strong hatred for Boston, Buffalo, and Montreal. It might not be that evident on the ice in the regular season, but I think once the teams face each other in the playoffs, the rivalries could be re-kindled.
Rivalries are generally made and kept in the playoffs. Such as Detroit/Colorado. Colorado stinks now, and they haven't been meeting in the playoffs, and it's only billed as a rivalry in hype only (just to draw a TV crowd). The Flyers had a rivalry with the Blues (them beating the crap out of us was the genesis of the Flyers' image), but they're such a 'meh' rival now because over the past 30 years or so, they've only been playing twice a year. If they met in the Finals, I don't think it would be seen as a 'rekindled rivalry.' Chicago and Vancouver have had a GREAT rivalry, that's now squashed.

I know that the Flyers and Bruins went 30 years between meeting in the playoffs, but the rivalry was rekindled because of two playoff series we've played with them. With this, we not only go back to perhaps maybe seeing them in the playoffs once every 30 years, but not sustaining any type of rivalry because we'd only be playing them twice a year. We'd be as likely to keep a rivalry with Calgary Flames.

Winnipeg only getting 12 total games against the other Canadian teams seems silly to me as well.

Last edited by GKJ: 12-05-2011 at 10:35 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
drownedsailors

vCash: 500
That sucks if you're a good team in a tough Conference and place 5th; while another team (that has fewer points than you) in a different Conference places 4th and makes it to the PO...

It sucks even more because that's a huge possibility for the Flyers seeing as how we have NYR, PITT, WSH and NJD in our Conference.

It's also really unfair that Western teams have a 50% chance of making the Playoffs while Eastern teams have a 57% chance.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 12-06-2011 at 12:08 AM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Expansion would be kinda... weird. Not a big fan milking the teams down more.

Looking at our roster, protect either one goaltender, five defensemen, and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards. (2000 expansion rules)

Anyone know if prospects count as part of the team or are they protected? Im guessing they are protected but might as well ask. I dont think it would be too hard to pick 1 goalie, 5 defenders, and 9 forwards.

Picking players wouldnt be that hard. Only thing would be players who's contracts are expiring.

Breezy

Pronger
Timonen
Coburn
Meszaros
Carle

Giroux
JVR
Briere
Schenn
Couturier
Simmonds
Voracek
Hartnell
Read (or Jagr if hes coming back)

EDIT: seems like in the 1998 first and second year pros were exempt. So that means Read, Couturier and Schenn would be. All teams have these kinds of players... hard to make a team with a bunch of 4th line guys.

Last edited by sa cyred: 12-05-2011 at 10:56 PM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:56 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Nu-Atlantic Division is just awesome

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
drownedsailors

Taken from the Main Board:

Quote:
Nah knowing Bettman the four conferences names will be

1) Sid
2) Ney
3) Cros
4) By
Laugh.My.****ing.Ass.Off

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'd do it that anyone on their ELC would be exempt. In the last round of expansion, teams were allowed to make trades for guys they just took, or trades so that teams would not take a guy. That's how Kimmo Timonen ended up on Nashville.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
It's also really unfair that Western teams have a 50% of making the Playoffs while Eastern teams have a 57% chance.
in our favor. like it.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I hate it because it is technically, however very rare, possible for the 27th seed to get into the playoffs

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Hey, it's the old Patrick division plus Carolina!

It reminds me of the system from the 80s where you had to get out of your division to play in the conference championships. Those playoffs against the Islanders and Rangers made me hate them. The downside, as others have mentioned, is that there were years that the 5th place team in the Patrick was better than the 4th place teams of other divisions, but they didn't qualify for the playoffs.

I'm also glad to see the Caps back. I hated them in the 80s, it will be fun to hate them again.

I like the new system, because I feel like the playoffs back in the 80s were full of hatred because every year you were playing the same teams in the playoffs. Think back to those Edmonton - Calgary playoffs. I think this should breed some interesting feuds, moreso than the current system.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Honest question: Did people need Washington to be in our confivision to dislike them?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Honest question: Did people need Washington to be in our confivision to dislike them?
Nope, but there's just something better about watching division (now conference) games. I can sit and watch NYI and PIT or NYR and PIT and be entertained. Adding WAS into a mix of teams that they already have good rivalries with will only help. But with the dominance of PHI, WAS, and PIT and the re-emergence of NYR...the Isles, Devs, and Canes are all going to have to spend/develop extremely well to keep up.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:05 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

being a fan of the AHL I love the divisonal playoff format. The games are intense and very physical. One thing the AHL does that I wouldnt mind seeing the NHL do is the crossover. Where one conference could have 5 teams in the playoffs and the other conf. 3. If the 5th seeded team has a better record then the 4 seeded team in the other conference they get in. Example last year that happened in the Eastern Conf. AHL playoffs.
I know this is going to cause some lost rivalries with teams like Boston, Montreal and Toronto but I like the idea overall.
man imagine a Flyers/Rangers SC Final? holy **** that would be amazing.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
being a fan of the AHL I love the divisonal playoff format. The games are intense and very physical. One thing the AHL does that I wouldnt mind seeing the NHL do is the crossover. Where one conference could have 5 teams in the playoffs and the other conf. 3. If the 5th seeded team has a better record then the 4 seeded team in the other conference they get in. Example last year that happened in the Eastern Conf. AHL playoffs.
I know this is going to cause some lost rivalries with teams like Boston, Montreal and Toronto but I like the idea overall.
man imagine a Flyers/Rangers SC Final? holy **** that would be amazing.
That can't happen as Rangers are in our conference and only 1 team makes it out of each conference

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:50 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
That can't happen as Rangers are in our conference and only 1 team makes it out of each conference
oh right. spaced it on that one haha

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
There's a possibility of two East-coast teams in the Cup Finals (ex. Boston vs. Philly).
I believe this would be a first, correct?

12-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I believe this would be a first, correct?

That was a joke. Right, Beef?

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
really not liking the fact that out of Philly, Pit, NYR, Wash or NJD someone is not making the playoffs. thats some tough competition. obviously the devils (and wash) are not doing that great right now but it seems like they've been good forever and i don't expect that to change at least not for long. and if i'm understanding the playoffs correctly only one of the aforementioned teams will make it to the 3rd round every year. thats a lot of good team fighting within a division that won't get a chance to participate in the last two round obviously the second being the SCF.
The good news ... Those five teams (Phi, Pitt, NYR, NJ, Wash) have all made the playoffs together just twice in the past 15 seasons.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post

That was a joke. Right, Beef?
I've been drinking heavily tonight. Don't blame me, blame whoever makes Buffalo Trace.

(I am sincerely embarrassed.)

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
I've been drinking heavily tonight. Don't blame me, blame whoever makes Buffalo Trace.

(I am sincerely embarrassed.)
You are no Barnaby. You are forgiven. This time.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
You are no Barnaby. You are forgiven. This time.
I'm not done drinking. In an hour or so I should be invincible.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
I'm not done drinking. In an hour or so I should be invincible.
Well, then step away from the keyboard.
(OK, stagger, crawl, whatever)

Old
12-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Well, then step away from the keyboard.
(OK, stagger, crawl, whatever)
I took another shot instead.

Oops.

So, we won the Cup in 05, right?

Old
12-06-2011, 02:39 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I like aspects of this system and I dislike aspects of it. Our division is now by far the toughest division. We could potentially have a better record than the majority of the teams in the other divisions and not make the playoffs.

This is a major flaw, considering the playoffs should be the best teams and not teams who just happen to play in a favorable Division.

I do like the fact that playoff rivalries will really be highlighted and beastly rival battles will be be had In the first 2 rounds. That is awesome.

I also like the possibility of two eastern teams meeting in the cup finals. Imagine another Boston Philly cup final. Wow.

However, I dont like the idea of losing rivalries with teams like Boston, Buffalo Montreal, and Toronto at all. We will now have just as much a rivalry with boston as we will with minnesota. That doesn't make sense to me.

I do think this will be a nice change, and I'm kind of excited to see the change, I guess we will just have to wait and see how it goes.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote