HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 who's gonna be top dog?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
  #76
nitz
Registered User
 
nitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: North Korea
Posts: 1,620
vCash: 543
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA/Russia

Hate to be a homer but Canada's top end skill combined with depth has to make them the favourite. We say that our goalies aren't that good anymore but all you need is a single good goalie. I'm comfortable putting Price, Luongo or Ward in net in a 1 game, winner take all situation against any other country.

Sweden is going to be in a weird, transition period pretty soon but I think that their younger players will be ready to take the torch in 2014. Backstrom, Edler, Karlsson, etc will be deadly for them for years to come.

USA lacks top end skill. Even with players like Kessel, Kane, Kesler, etc (KKK line?) I am not intimidated by their forwards. However, their goalies are hard to match.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:39 PM
  #77
babyshamble
Registered User
 
babyshamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oslo/Bangkok
Country: Norway
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
As of right now Slovakia is not even guaranteed to be qualified for the tournament. If they do not play a very good WC in May this year they will have to Qualify in a 4 team tournament in February 2013.
They will probably win this tournament on home ice against teams like Austria, Ukraine and one weaker team (GB, Poland, Holland etc). But remember that this is without NHL players and one bad game can ruin everything.

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
  #78
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
amazing ...just amazing !
Can't dispute anything I said? Russia didn't medal in 2010 why would this be different? and don't just say "because they are on home ice." that has nothing to do with the quality of their team. or the fact that their D and goaltending are getting old

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:49 PM
  #79
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
1. Canada 2. Sweden 3. USA/Russia Hate to be a homer but Canada's top end skill combined with depth has to make them the favourite. We say that our goalies aren't that good anymore but all you need is a single good goalie. I'm comfortable putting Price, Luongo or Ward in net in a 1 game, winner take all situation against any other country. Sweden is going to be in a weird, transition period pretty soon but I think that their younger players will be ready to take the torch in 2014. Backstrom, Edler, Karlsson, etc will be deadly for them for years to come. USA lacks top end skill. Even with players like Kessel, Kane, Kesler, etc (KKK line?) I am not intimidated by their forwards. However, their goalies are hard to match.
I agree 100%. Good post.

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:10 AM
  #80
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,195
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA/Russia

Hate to be a homer but Canada's top end skill combined with depth has to make them the favourite. We say that our goalies aren't that good anymore but all you need is a single good goalie. I'm comfortable putting Price, Luongo or Ward in net in a 1 game, winner take all situation against any other country.

Sweden is going to be in a weird, transition period pretty soon but I think that their younger players will be ready to take the torch in 2014. Backstrom, Edler, Karlsson, etc will be deadly for them for years to come.

USA lacks top end skill. Even with players like Kessel, Kane, Kesler, etc (KKK line?) I am not intimidated by their forwards. However, their goalies are hard to match.
2014 is a long ways off, but if I was to pick a goalie for Canada it would be MAF. I think him and Price are locks for this team.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:14 AM
  #81
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Can't dispute anything I said? Russia didn't medal in 2010 why would this be different? and don't just say "because they are on home ice." that has nothing to do with the quality of their team. or the fact that their D and goaltending are getting old
Who is old? Tyutin,Nikitin, Emelin?? or maybe Kulikov,Orlov,Chudinov,Voinov,Varlamov and Bobrovsky? BTW I am not going to argue with anybody who are saying "NOBODY is Touching Canada for a long LONG time" Have no time for this!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:15 AM
  #82
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls
 
Lapa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampere, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,692
vCash: 50
I have a feeling that if Finland plays like they played in the WC, they will be strong. I know WC is far worse level than the Olympics, but our WC 2011 team was the first Finnish Team I've seen that could actually win even though the opponent scored first.

1. Canada
2. Finland
3. USA
4. Sweden

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:27 AM
  #83
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,159
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
I wonder what the rest of the world's excuse will be after we win 2014 on that big pathethic ice, after having won on REAL SIZE ICE in 2010...probably will still find a way to get an excuse

Don't compare 2014's roster to previous slow rosters that we sent on big ice, 2014 will be the best Canadian team ever assembled for an Olympic Games and that doesn't bode well for the rest of the world.
You really don`t know what you are missing. The game on the pathethic big ice, can be so much moore fun and entertaining to look at, than the dump and chase play on "real" ice.

By the way, has Bettman desided too realese the NHL players for the 2014 olympics, ore is he afraid of the big pathethic ice?

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 04:05 AM
  #84
Krotak
is the Legend
 
Krotak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyshamble View Post
As of right now Slovakia is not even guaranteed to be qualified for the tournament. If they do not play a very good WC in May this year they will have to Qualify in a 4 team tournament in February 2013.
They will probably win this tournament on home ice against teams like Austria, Ukraine and one weaker team (GB, Poland, Holland etc). But remember that this is without NHL players and one bad game can ruin everything.
Yeah, you're right, but if we will get Belarus, the game wouldn't be funny...

However: In Vujtek we trust!



Last edited by Krotak: 12-12-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Krotak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
  #85
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. USA/Russia

Hate to be a homer but Canada's top end skill combined with depth has to make them the favourite. We say that our goalies aren't that good anymore but all you need is a single good goalie. I'm comfortable putting Price, Luongo or Ward in net in a 1 game, winner take all situation against any other country.

Sweden is going to be in a weird, transition period pretty soon but I think that their younger players will be ready to take the torch in 2014. Backstrom, Edler, Karlsson, etc will be deadly for them for years to come.

USA lacks top end skill. Even with players like Kessel, Kane, Kesler, etc (KKK line?) I am not intimidated by their forwards. However, their goalies are hard to match.

I would say no on the KKK line....Anyway, the U.S. has plenty of skill. It might not manifest itself in a "flashy" way, but it's there. Almost to a man it will be a strong two-way group. D-core will be good and the goaltending will be great. We'll be right there again competing for gold when it's all said and done.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:49 AM
  #86
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
With the current system, pretty much any team can win the bronze medal. Finland won the said medal by playing three good periods at Vancouver 2010.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:01 AM
  #87
cheerupmurray
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
With the current system, pretty much any team can win the bronze medal. Finland won the said medal by playing three good periods at Vancouver 2010.
Kind of agree, the finnish defese is not looking good though. Great goalkeeping can make up for some of that, but imagine if some of the group of Timmonen, Salo, Pitkänen and Lydman is either injured (for Salo very likely) or retired. That's basicly all the NHL d-men you have (Laakso and Lepistö is playing their way out of the league).

In a short tournament on big ice there is going to be a lot of teams with a real chance of reaching the finals, Finland needs to have some luck with that defense if you are going to be one of those teams.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
  #88
LaLaLand
Registered User
 
LaLaLand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
I think we see a US Gold in 2014.

best goaltending and all around solid roster.

my guess would be a USA-Russia final

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 10:09 AM
  #89
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Kind of agree, the finnish defese is not looking good though. Great goalkeeping can make up for some of that, but imagine if some of the group of Timmonen, Salo, Pitkänen and Lydman is either injured (for Salo very likely) or retired. That's basicly all the NHL d-men you have (Laakso and Lepistö is playing their way out of the league).

In a short tournament on big ice there is going to be a lot of teams with a real chance of reaching the finals, Finland needs to have some luck with that defense if you are going to be one of those teams.
Oh wasn't talking about Finland's chances of winning (which are slim to say at least), but how in the short tournament winning the bronze medal can be relatively easy. Finland sucked for the most of the last Olympics and still went home with a medal.


Last edited by Muuri: 12-12-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.