HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 Divisions next year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2011, 12:01 AM
  #51
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,296
vCash: 500
not into having fla teams in the division but it looks like we will continue to have a yearly playoff match-up vs the B's lol

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
  #52
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
It's funny to see people argue what is fair and what isn't. Lots of people here and in the thread on the main board suffer from an incredible lack of focus.

The teams that are good today might not be good tomorrow. This change isn't only about who makes the playoffs next year, but also in 10 and 20 years. To me, the only thing that's unfair is the unbalanced number of teams in the conferences. It's ridiculous to me that every team does not have the same chance of making the playoffs, that's completely retarded.

Even worse is the way they're gonna spread the games. In seven-team conferences, teams will play each other six times. In eight-team conferences, some will play five times others six and alternate yearly. The fact that the calendar will not be the same for everybody is dumb.

Plus, the obvious extra travel to reach Florida, passing over the entire Atlantic Conference in the meanwhile is ridiculous. I understand the league wants to appeal to snowbirds, but come on, I feel like they're using the Habs to keep the Florida teams afloat. I'm sure Panthers and Lightning fans aren't delighted either.

Anyhow, we're getting off easy because we'll be in a seven-team conference, but the new format is still awful to me. Especially since we will only play teams like the Rangers, the Penguins and the Capitals twice in the season. Not happy with the change, at all.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:15 AM
  #53
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,614
vCash: 500
Pissed that playoffs will always start from within these new conferences. It'll get repetitive and annoying. Yes we faced Boston a lot without it, but still. I'd really like to see cross-conference playoffs.

For the playoffs, take the home-ice teams and put their names in a hat. Put the other playoff teams in another hat. And match em up: home-ice vs others. Do it! DO IT!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
  #54
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 10,713
vCash: 500
at first i was like: "WTF"
but now im like: "hmmmmm...."

given two days to think about it (since it was rumored), i've grown to it. some divisions might look stronger now but keep in mind that team ebbs and flow, go high and low... this isn't your father's florida. ottawa will be very good very soon.

if you are the owner of florida and tampa bay, you are happy you play the habs and the laffs more often: selling out the arena. if you are the habs' owner, you are happy to play florida more often: fake homeice.


MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:24 AM
  #55
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
It's funny to see people argue what is fair and what isn't. Lots of people here and in the thread on the main board suffer from an incredible lack of focus.

The teams that are good today might not be good tomorrow. This change isn't only about who makes the playoffs next year, but also in 10 and 20 years. To me, the only thing that's unfair is the unbalanced number of teams in the conferences. It's ridiculous to me that every team does not have the same chance of making the playoffs, that's completely retarded.

Even worse is the way they're gonna spread the games. In seven-team conferences, teams will play each other six times. In eight-team conferences, some will play five times others six and alternate yearly. The fact that the calendar will not be the same for everybody is dumb.

Plus, the obvious extra travel to reach Florida, passing over the entire Atlantic Conference in the meanwhile is ridiculous. I understand the league wants to appeal to snowbirds, but come on, I feel like they're using the Habs to keep the Florida teams afloat. I'm sure Panthers and Lightning fans aren't delighted either.

Anyhow, we're getting off easy because we'll be in a seven-team conference, but the new format is still awful to me. Especially since we will only play teams like the Rangers, the Penguins and the Capitals twice in the season. Not happy with the change, at all.
Nail on head sir.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:24 AM
  #56
Habitant#1
Registered User
 
Habitant#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
How the hell are Florida and Tampa in our conference when there's an entire conference of teams between the current NE division and the state of Florida!?

Six games a year vs Florida, ugh.
And only two vs Pitts, Philly, Was, etc...
I suppose we gain a game vs each of Det and Chicago which I like. But no other Western teams appeal to me much, other than the canadian teams of course but we already play them home and home.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:27 AM
  #57
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
So with the new alignment and rules, we could have a Montreal/Boston/ or Montreal/Toronto for the cup? No more east/west? Am I reading this wrong?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
  #58
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
How the hell are Florida and Tampa in our conference when there's an entire conference of teams between the current NE division and the state of Florida!?

Six games a year vs Florida, ugh.
And only two vs Pitts, Philly, Was, etc...
I suppose we gain a game vs each of Det and Chicago which I like. But no other Western teams appeal to me much, other than the canadian teams of course but we already play them home and home.
I think we play all divisional teams 4x, conference 6 times and the West 2x. At least, thats how I read it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
  #59
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Jean_Jacket41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
So with the new alignment and rules, we could have a Montreal/Boston/ or Montreal/Toronto for the cup? No more east/west? Am I reading this wrong?
Yes you are wrong. Mtl/Tor or Mtl/Bos ain't a possibility for the Cup as they are in the same division.

But Bos/Pit or Bos/Phi (i'm not using Mtl in my examples like you cause I want to make it real... ) can.

They reseed the 4 winners of the divisions so you could see a current western+eastern teams facing up in the semi-fianls and two current eastern/western conference team facing up in the Cup Final.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
  #60
Habskrieg
Registered User
 
Habskrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,611
vCash: 500
Meh, not a fan of this. Seems like northern and southern teams get more travel. The playoffs... As if we didn't face teams in our own division (I guess conference here) enough. Was expecting NHL to bring Either Columbus or Detroit, or both (and maybe Chicago) into the east, seeing as I had heard they were teams that wanted to be on this side.

Not a fan of this...

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
  #61
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Jean_Jacket41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I think we play all divisional teams 4x, conference 6 times and the West 2x. At least, thats how I read it.
Read it again...

It's:

1) For the 7 teams divisions:
6 games against the division = 36 games
2 games against the remaining 23 teams= 46 games

2) For the 8 teams divisions:
5 or 6 games against the division = 38 games
2 games against the remianing 22 teams = 44 games

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:35 AM
  #62
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Yes you are wrong. Mtl/Tor or Mtl/Bos ain't a possibility for the Cup as they are in the same division.

But Bos/Pit or Bos/Phi (i'm not using Mtl in my examples like you cause I want to make it real... ) can.

They reseed the 4 winners of the divisions so you could see a current western+eastern teams facing up in the semi-fianls and two current eastern/western conference team facing up in the Cup Final.
Gotcha, sounds like a lot of confusion come playoff time for the casual fan.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:37 AM
  #63
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,943
vCash: 50
We'll play more games against West teams... We're horrible against them...

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:42 AM
  #64
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Jean_Jacket41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Gotcha, sounds like a lot of confusion come playoff time for the casual fan.
Not really cause the 1st 2 rounds are into the division (1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 the winners playing themselves afterward). The only casual fans that might get confused are if their team gets to the final 4...

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
  #65
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
New Conferences:

East 1:
Boston-25 GP, 17-7-1, 35 PTS
Florida-26 GP, 14-8-4, 32 PTS
Toronto-27 GP, 15-10-2 32 PTS
Buffalo-26 GP, 14-11-1, 29 PTS
-------
Ottawa- 26 GP, 12-11-3, 27 PTS
Montreal- 27 GP, 11-11-5, 27 PTS
Tampa Bay- 25 GP, 11-12-2, 24 PTS




At least now we are fighting with 7 teamrs to make the playoffs instead of 15.
Its a race to the top 4 out of 7.
We could make it. But the fact is, we will REALLY need to build up.

Because first round of the playoff will be inter-division. No free pass against pittsburgh, washington and teams without goons and tough boys. Toronto-Ottawa-Boston are really tough.
If you rather face Pittsburgh and Washington over Toronto and Ottawa, you need to get your head examined. Despite the popular narrative, being good is still much more important than being tough in the playoffs.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:22 AM
  #66
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
If you look at last year's standings in the East the playoffs would have been

Bos vs Buff
TB vs Mtl

Wash vs NYR
Phi vs Pit

The same 8 team would have made the playoffs. Not bad, but you'd need a bigger sample size to see how other years would've looked, not to mention that the schedule would have been different.

In the West, Dallas would have made it over LA. I think if we look at a larger sample there is probably going to be a bigger effect on Western teams because they have 8 teams per conference vs 7 for the East.

But like everyone here agrees on, there's always going to be stronger and weaker conferences. I just hope that either 2 teams disappear or 2 new teams join the NHL, question of fairness. For now I will enjoy the 7-team conference

edit: lol in 2008-2009 6 of the 8 playoffs team were from the "Atlantic Conference". The 2 other were the Bruins in #1 and Habs in #8. We would have faced Florida which was #9 otherwise. This is surely going to happen when some divisions will be stronger than other and it's pretty sad. It's the reason why I find the MLB and NFL a joke. Teams that have bad records can make it over teams with good records only because they play in a bad division.


Last edited by One Trick Pony: 12-06-2011 at 01:37 AM.
One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:10 AM
  #67
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
We'll play more games against West teams... We're horrible against them...
which is a POSITIVE ......


Habs will be FORCED to get tougher .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:12 AM
  #68
Aceekay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Yellowknife
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,652
vCash: 500
I guess we just got two more rivals.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:21 AM
  #69
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,786
vCash: 500
This is crap. I prefer current one.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:47 AM
  #70
Zaide
I'm a renegade
 
Zaide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Montréal
Country: uriname
Posts: 65,749
vCash: 500
I will miss playing the Flyers 4 times a year. These were great games.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:07 AM
  #71
Dekar
Registered User
 
Dekar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bound Kingdom
Posts: 5,248
vCash: 500
So who gets the Clarence Campbell and Prince of Wales trophies?

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:53 AM
  #72
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If I was the Habs GM in the futur I would lobby hard for a Montreal/Boston/Quebec/Toronto/Pittsburgh/Philly/Buffalo/Washington section.
Switch Buffalo for NewYork Rangers and I am ALL for it

SnapVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:00 AM
  #73
JHabs61
Registered User
 
JHabs61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Richard Cloutier wrote a somewhat interesting article about realignment...

Makes me curious.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richa...ment/131/40285

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:05 AM
  #74
Zeroknowledge*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Facing a PC
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
The best playoff solution is after the first round it's all random that way you could play division rivals in the finals.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:38 AM
  #75
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Maybe I was just due for a change, but I like the divisional format. I never entirely warmed up to the two conference format and always hoped that I'd see the league return to a divisional playoff structure again.

As for reseeding in the semi-finals, I'm interested to see how that plays out in practice.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.