HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 Divisions next year

Old
12-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
not into having fla teams in the division but it looks like we will continue to have a yearly playoff match-up vs the B's lol

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

It's funny to see people argue what is fair and what isn't. Lots of people here and in the thread on the main board suffer from an incredible lack of focus.

The teams that are good today might not be good tomorrow. This change isn't only about who makes the playoffs next year, but also in 10 and 20 years. To me, the only thing that's unfair is the unbalanced number of teams in the conferences. It's ridiculous to me that every team does not have the same chance of making the playoffs, that's completely retarded.

Even worse is the way they're gonna spread the games. In seven-team conferences, teams will play each other six times. In eight-team conferences, some will play five times others six and alternate yearly. The fact that the calendar will not be the same for everybody is dumb.

Plus, the obvious extra travel to reach Florida, passing over the entire Atlantic Conference in the meanwhile is ridiculous. I understand the league wants to appeal to snowbirds, but come on, I feel like they're using the Habs to keep the Florida teams afloat. I'm sure Panthers and Lightning fans aren't delighted either.

Anyhow, we're getting off easy because we'll be in a seven-team conference, but the new format is still awful to me. Especially since we will only play teams like the Rangers, the Penguins and the Capitals twice in the season. Not happy with the change, at all.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:15 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Pissed that playoffs will always start from within these new conferences. It'll get repetitive and annoying. Yes we faced Boston a lot without it, but still. I'd really like to see cross-conference playoffs.

For the playoffs, take the home-ice teams and put their names in a hat. Put the other playoff teams in another hat. And match em up: home-ice vs others. Do it! DO IT!

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:22 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

at first i was like: "WTF"
but now im like: "hmmmmm...."

given two days to think about it (since it was rumored), i've grown to it. some divisions might look stronger now but keep in mind that team ebbs and flow, go high and low... this isn't your father's florida. ottawa will be very good very soon.

if you are the owner of florida and tampa bay, you are happy you play the habs and the laffs more often: selling out the arena. if you are the habs' owner, you are happy to play florida more often: fake homeice.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
It's funny to see people argue what is fair and what isn't. Lots of people here and in the thread on the main board suffer from an incredible lack of focus.

The teams that are good today might not be good tomorrow. This change isn't only about who makes the playoffs next year, but also in 10 and 20 years. To me, the only thing that's unfair is the unbalanced number of teams in the conferences. It's ridiculous to me that every team does not have the same chance of making the playoffs, that's completely retarded.

Even worse is the way they're gonna spread the games. In seven-team conferences, teams will play each other six times. In eight-team conferences, some will play five times others six and alternate yearly. The fact that the calendar will not be the same for everybody is dumb.

Plus, the obvious extra travel to reach Florida, passing over the entire Atlantic Conference in the meanwhile is ridiculous. I understand the league wants to appeal to snowbirds, but come on, I feel like they're using the Habs to keep the Florida teams afloat. I'm sure Panthers and Lightning fans aren't delighted either.

Anyhow, we're getting off easy because we'll be in a seven-team conference, but the new format is still awful to me. Especially since we will only play teams like the Rangers, the Penguins and the Capitals twice in the season. Not happy with the change, at all.
Nail on head sir.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Habitant#1

How the hell are Florida and Tampa in our conference when there's an entire conference of teams between the current NE division and the state of Florida!?

Six games a year vs Florida, ugh.
And only two vs Pitts, Philly, Was, etc...
I suppose we gain a game vs each of Det and Chicago which I like. But no other Western teams appeal to me much, other than the canadian teams of course but we already play them home and home.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Habs

So with the new alignment and rules, we could have a Montreal/Boston/ or Montreal/Toronto for the cup? No more east/west? Am I reading this wrong?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
How the hell are Florida and Tampa in our conference when there's an entire conference of teams between the current NE division and the state of Florida!?

Six games a year vs Florida, ugh.
And only two vs Pitts, Philly, Was, etc...
I suppose we gain a game vs each of Det and Chicago which I like. But no other Western teams appeal to me much, other than the canadian teams of course but we already play them home and home.
I think we play all divisional teams 4x, conference 6 times and the West 2x. At least, thats how I read it.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
So with the new alignment and rules, we could have a Montreal/Boston/ or Montreal/Toronto for the cup? No more east/west? Am I reading this wrong?
Yes you are wrong. Mtl/Tor or Mtl/Bos ain't a possibility for the Cup as they are in the same division.

But Bos/Pit or Bos/Phi (i'm not using Mtl in my examples like you cause I want to make it real... ) can.

They reseed the 4 winners of the divisions so you could see a current western+eastern teams facing up in the semi-fianls and two current eastern/western conference team facing up in the Cup Final.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Habskrieg

Meh, not a fan of this. Seems like northern and southern teams get more travel. The playoffs... As if we didn't face teams in our own division (I guess conference here) enough. Was expecting NHL to bring Either Columbus or Detroit, or both (and maybe Chicago) into the east, seeing as I had heard they were teams that wanted to be on this side.

Not a fan of this...

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
I think we play all divisional teams 4x, conference 6 times and the West 2x. At least, thats how I read it.
Read it again...

It's:

1) For the 7 teams divisions:
6 games against the division = 36 games
2 games against the remaining 23 teams= 46 games

2) For the 8 teams divisions:
5 or 6 games against the division = 38 games
2 games against the remianing 22 teams = 44 games

Old
12-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Yes you are wrong. Mtl/Tor or Mtl/Bos ain't a possibility for the Cup as they are in the same division.

But Bos/Pit or Bos/Phi (i'm not using Mtl in my examples like you cause I want to make it real... ) can.

They reseed the 4 winners of the divisions so you could see a current western+eastern teams facing up in the semi-fianls and two current eastern/western conference team facing up in the Cup Final.
Gotcha, sounds like a lot of confusion come playoff time for the casual fan.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:37 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
We'll play more games against West teams... We're horrible against them...

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Gotcha, sounds like a lot of confusion come playoff time for the casual fan.
Not really cause the 1st 2 rounds are into the division (1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 the winners playing themselves afterward). The only casual fans that might get confused are if their team gets to the final 4...

Old
12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
New Conferences:

East 1:
Boston-25 GP, 17-7-1, 35 PTS
Florida-26 GP, 14-8-4, 32 PTS
Toronto-27 GP, 15-10-2 32 PTS
Buffalo-26 GP, 14-11-1, 29 PTS
-------
Ottawa- 26 GP, 12-11-3, 27 PTS
Montreal- 27 GP, 11-11-5, 27 PTS
Tampa Bay- 25 GP, 11-12-2, 24 PTS

At least now we are fighting with 7 teamrs to make the playoffs instead of 15.
Its a race to the top 4 out of 7.
We could make it. But the fact is, we will REALLY need to build up.

Because first round of the playoff will be inter-division. No free pass against pittsburgh, washington and teams without goons and tough boys. Toronto-Ottawa-Boston are really tough.
If you rather face Pittsburgh and Washington over Toronto and Ottawa, you need to get your head examined. Despite the popular narrative, being good is still much more important than being tough in the playoffs.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:22 AM
One Trick Pony

If you look at last year's standings in the East the playoffs would have been

Bos vs Buff
TB vs Mtl

Wash vs NYR
Phi vs Pit

The same 8 team would have made the playoffs. Not bad, but you'd need a bigger sample size to see how other years would've looked, not to mention that the schedule would have been different.

In the West, Dallas would have made it over LA. I think if we look at a larger sample there is probably going to be a bigger effect on Western teams because they have 8 teams per conference vs 7 for the East.

But like everyone here agrees on, there's always going to be stronger and weaker conferences. I just hope that either 2 teams disappear or 2 new teams join the NHL, question of fairness. For now I will enjoy the 7-team conference

edit: lol in 2008-2009 6 of the 8 playoffs team were from the "Atlantic Conference". The 2 other were the Bruins in #1 and Habs in #8. We would have faced Florida which was #9 otherwise. This is surely going to happen when some divisions will be stronger than other and it's pretty sad. It's the reason why I find the MLB and NFL a joke. Teams that have bad records can make it over teams with good records only because they play in a bad division.

Last edited by One Trick Pony: 12-06-2011 at 01:37 AM.
One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
We'll play more games against West teams... We're horrible against them...
which is a POSITIVE ......

Habs will be FORCED to get tougher .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Aceekay

I guess we just got two more rivals.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:21 AM
LyricalLyricist

This is crap. I prefer current one.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

I will miss playing the Flyers 4 times a year. These were great games.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Dekar

So who gets the Clarence Campbell and Prince of Wales trophies?

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:53 AM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
If I was the Habs GM in the futur I would lobby hard for a Montreal/Boston/Quebec/Toronto/Pittsburgh/Philly/Buffalo/Washington section.
Switch Buffalo for NewYork Rangers and I am ALL for it

SnapVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:00 AM
JHabs61

Richard Cloutier wrote a somewhat interesting article about realignment...

Makes me curious.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richa...ment/131/40285

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Zeroknowledge*

The best playoff solution is after the first round it's all random that way you could play division rivals in the finals.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:38 AM
LyleOdelein

Maybe I was just due for a change, but I like the divisional format. I never entirely warmed up to the two conference format and always hoped that I'd see the league return to a divisional playoff structure again.

As for reseeding in the semi-finals, I'm interested to see how that plays out in practice.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote