HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For all the DW bashers...

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2005, 11:38 AM
CaptainShark

vCash: 500
For all the DW bashers...

I hate all the DW-bashing that is going on here...

I (like most of you) was rooting for DW to sign a Niedermayer or Kariya or a Rat-replacement. Would this team be better off with a signing like that? most likely yes...

BUT (here comes the "but"): Wilson believed that the team he had in place would build on last seasonīs success and that all replacement / improvement needed would come from within... Losing Korky did not help... McCauley and Ekman not showing up on the scoresheet does not help. Stuart and Sturm having sub-par-seasons so far does not help...

Despite all those negative developments, this team is outshooting oppositions constantly and if you take a close look at the loosing-streak, nearly all games were really close... As of now we have the worst Save-% in the league and while bad (team)defence may be PART of the problem, the main problem are our masked man. If Nabby and Tosk would have been playing up to standards or even a little bit subpar, this team would be in the thick of the Division-Race, no doubt... We could be taking about a 9-game-winning-streak instead of a 9-game-loosing-streak right now. They donīt make a lot of glaring mistakes, but they have given up lots of goals they would like to have back... Did ANYONE here honestly see a problem with the Sharks in goal? If you did, then you can blame DW. If you didnīt then you should rethink all that criticism.

If our goaltenders would play like they used to, this team would be just fine...

Old
11-30-2005, 11:46 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainShark
Despite all those negative developments, this team is outshooting oppositions constantly and if you take a close look at the loosing-streak, nearly all games were really close.
*All* of them have been one goal games.

(Still steamed with Fraser about the Vancouver game - one bad goal against allowed, one goal for disallowed; Sharks probably should have that win. Note that RW has not been fined for his comments about that game.)

Old
11-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Daily Special

You posted this at the Sharks site forum too.

Last edited by Serena587: 11-30-2005 at 06:58 PM. Reason: posting a thread from another message board.
Old
11-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Is 2.7 goals per game enough to win in the new NHL? No. Don't blame the goaltending. If they have to be that good night in and night out, how can you expect to be a good team? The defense is playing very suspect in front of their goaltenders too. Calgary's the only exception to the goals per game rule, and that's because they've got (arguably) the best defensive corps in the West.

Old
11-30-2005, 12:20 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Until the six goals in Saturday's game, the Sharks have not had huge offensive output. (IIRC, it was like 8+ games before that with 3 or less goals, and only one had three.)

Just one other psuedo blow out earlier in the season (or am I thinking of the Dallas 5-4 game that was Schaefer's first decision?).

Old
11-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Daily Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brownstone
Is 2.7 goals per game enough to win in the new NHL? No. Don't blame the goaltending. If they have to be that good night in and night out, how can you expect to be a good team? The defense is playing very suspect in front of their goaltenders too. Calgary's the only exception to the goals per game rule, and that's because they've got (arguably) the best defensive corps in the West.
Sharks are leading the league in fewest shots allowed. Nabby has the second worst save%. If Nabby confessed, DW says so, and 90% of the most credible posters at the Sharks boards see it that way along with me. That's an avalanche of evidence Nabby has played horribly. This isn't to excuse Hannan and Stuart's inconsistency buckling under added ice time, but to say Nabby is still earning his 3.5 mill is just silly at this point. Tell me NY has great team D, I need a good laugh.

*The above is only in response to Nabby - I'm in total agreement about our absolutley horrendous offense. But be clear - DW is to blame when he says things like this : "I might have been more active in last summer's free-agent market if we knew some players wouldn't meet expectations" when most of the halfway observant fans saw it coming as soon as DW did nothing. As one fan said it best (MR H) "Why we all saw it and DW didn't is borderline incompetence".

Last edited by Daily Special: 11-30-2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old
11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
rekrul

Call it overraching the talent of the roster, call it procrastination, call it newbie GM afraid to get into the game. What ever was the resoning Dougie's lack of movment has crippled this team.

Since taking over the GM job in 2003 his main focus has been getting the Org's own players into camp on time, terrific job of avoiding holdouts.

other than that how many moves have we seen? Ekman for Wieseman, Curtis Brown For Boyes, Jason Marshall for a 5th rounder. Plenty of picks to trade up in two draft days.

I can't even get a paragraph of his total roster moves in before I run out of legit NHL players, Everything else has been from the Farm team. What team did as little as the Sharks did? Ottawa and Philly, both with very good rosters, improved. Bad Teams like Phoenix and Anaheim started to make trades and turn roster over. Thats how EVERY OTHER TEAM OPERATES. Somehow DW looked at the sharkies and said yep we lose Rathje, Vinnie, Ricci, C brown, Koroyuk... yep were still fine I have Grant Stevenson waiting to take over!

Now Ekman, Dimitrokos and McCaully are not have the amazin' season like he projected and Sturat/ Hannan/ Sturm/ and Nabkov sudden went into the crapper. now they really suck bad had he is wonderin' why all of the NHL GM's are offering him crap for the teal prized possesions. DW is being schooled by 29 other gm's because he thought too highly of his roster, maybe so high that the players feel they are better than they are. With no trades hanging over thier heads no wonder Wilson can't get them to play hard for 60 min.

Old
11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Limey FK

Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
And that's why I don't like the Sharks forum.. Absolutely nothing intelligent added to the attempted discussion..

Edit: Looks like I didn't add anything intelligent to the conversation either.. my appologies

It's been like Murphy's Law with this team this year. What could go wrong, will go wrong. It started with the inactivity during the summer, followed by unlucky bounces, followed by goaltending injuries, followed by inconsistent and lackluster play from several key guys..

We need someone to step up and turn this tide. This is where the Sharks really lack that true head of leadership. Iginla, Jagr, Kariya, etc. I've seen these guys step up and make the play when the team needed it most. This team lacks it now and it lacked it during the WCF against Calgary.. Korky did his best, but he can only do so much

Last edited by Serena587: 11-30-2005 at 06:59 PM. Reason: quoting edited portion of post.
Old
11-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Daily Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey FK
And that's why I don't like the Sharks forum.. Absolutely nothing intelligent added to the attempted discussion..
Because it's laughble. To suggest not blaming DW isn't even worth responding to.

It's your right to not go there, but unfortunately you really miss out.

Last edited by Serena587: 11-30-2005 at 06:56 PM. Reason: posting an entire thread from another message board.
Old
11-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush5Collapse5
"Why we all saw it and DW didn't is borderline incompetence".
Nail on the head.

11-30-2005, 01:27 PM
Daily Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Ice
Nail on the head.
That's Mr H from the Sharks board.

Old
11-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Limey FK

Send a message via AIM to Limey FK
Alright Rush.. you've sold me.

I'll go check it out again. Never can get enough Sharks discussion.

Old
11-30-2005, 04:15 PM
USF Shark
Zôion politikōn

Can anyone show me, through the history of ANY sport when a team has had a very successful season, lost players, didn't add any tallent from the FA market and had a better season the next year? Apparently DW is modeling this team against some imaginary team that never existed.

Old
11-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Serena587

Quote:
It's your right to not go there.....
Exactly, we're here reading HF threads. If people want to read the Sharks.com forum, they're more than welcome to go there and read them. Please don't quote them or post them in their entirety here. Thanks.

Old
12-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Daily Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena587
Exactly, we're here reading HF threads. If people want to read the Sharks.com forum, they're more than welcome to go there and read them. Please don't quote them or post them in their entirety here. Thanks.
Serena I was just trying to point out the Sharks board has several discerning regulars that know the game very well. My apologies for any disruption that copy paste may have caused.

Old
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Serena587

Quote:
Serena I was just trying to point out the Sharks board has several discerning regulars that know the game very well. My apologies for any disruption that copy paste may have caused.
Not a problem, posts like that just aren't allowed here at HF. But there's nothing wrong with suggesting that posters here check out the forum at sjsharks.com.

Old
12-01-2005, 09:13 AM
FlamesFan80

Joe Thornton is going to be a monster for the Sharks... he will light a fire under your players, Cheechoo is going to explode...

One of your goalies other than Nabokov is going to get you guys out of this rut and ultimately into a decent playoff spot... whether that be Schaefer or Toskala, I tend to think once Toskala gets healthy he's going to rip things up again.

Nabokov is trade bait.

Closed Thread