HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Game #27 Avalanche v Red Wings|SUNDAY DECEMBER 4TH|6 PM MTN|THIS GAME IS SUNDAY OKAY?

Old
12-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Ice Crusher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Re-watched the game. A few notes

1. Another excellent game by Varlamov. The game takes on a whole different complexion imo if Varly lets in that SH goal. His rebound control was stellar as it should be especially against a team like Detroit. Cant fault him on either goal. The first goal was world class play by Datsyuk and the second goal Cleary was standing in his grill while Hejda watched. We are all on the ROR wagon and righfully so but Varlamov has been our bes player the last 4-5 games.

2. ROR is on a hot streak similiar to when Duchene goes on his streak. I dont expect it to last much longer but its fun to watch nonetheless. His block/steal on Datsyuk set up his eventual ENG. ROR won this round against Mr. Datsyuk.

3. Fire Sacco

4. EJ had a strong outing...in the offensive zone. He had a few shaky moments in the defensive zone one of which was a terrible turnover in the neutral zone. Other than that I thought he looked poised and really confused the Detroit D a bit down low. Cant wait to see his reaction when he finally scores one.

5. Landeskog's best game since the Chicago game earlier this year. Two very nice set ups. Hes been much better since the addition of hejduk on that line.

6. Stefan Elliott had his worse game so far. His first few games he wasnt dumping the puck in on the PP now it seems like he is. Not liking that. I hope he doesnt get scratched.

7. Kyle Quincey. Geez where to begin. His play has been regressing alot lately. I thought with Johnson back that he would have a better game but he was terrible. Couldnt stay on his feet, couldnt keep the puck in, lost coverage of his man on numerous occasions. The one good thing he did was a block shot in the 3rd other then that he was the worse D-man.

8. Freakin Ryan O'byrne can hit the net from there but cant when hes 20 ft away?

9. Matt Duchene was dangerous all night. Atleast hes getting chances now so aslong as that keep sup he'll score soon enough. Nice to see that excitement on the Stastny goal.

10. Stastny showed up on the stat line and deservedly so. Hes played well lately without getting rewarded. He finally scores and the hockey gods think its funny to injure him. I hope its not severe because we do need Stastny.
Very nice post ice berg slim! Couldn't describe it better than you have in this post.

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Should be fun to see how the team plays without him.
I certainly don't want to see Stastny out for a significant period of time but it will be interesting to see how O'rielly and Duchene play without him. I don't think they'll miss a beat.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:23 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgp View Post
Your avatar, who is that?
Kayleen Franklin

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
I certainly don't want to see Stastny out for a significant period of time but it will be interesting to see how O'rielly and Duchene play without him. I don't think they'll miss a beat.
I assume Dutchy draws back in at center, but then how do the lines shake out? Personally I'd like to see a Galiardi-Duchene-Jones line, but likely it'd be Porter on the LW as I'm not too keen on a McLeod-Porter-Yip trio.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
I assume Dutchy draws back in at center, but then how do the lines shake out? Personally I'd like to see a Galiardi-Duchene-Jones line, but likely it'd be Porter on the LW as I'm not too keen on a McLeod-Porter-Yip trio.
Not much to look at. I would want gags-Duchene-winny. Winnik played well with Dutchy before and Jones has been irrelevant for majority of the season. Reward gags with his solid play for the past 2 games( Sacco won't).

Old
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
With the O'Reilly line looking great since Hejduk joined them, it's easy to miss that Winnik has looked real strong since joining McClement. It seems he can mostly focus on forechecking like a madman and wearing down defenses without thinking about how and when he is supposed to generate scoring chances.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

vCash: 69
I would like to mention how bad Lidstrom was. Not only is he no longer a Norris caliber guy Im not sure he should even be in the discussion.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:51 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
I would like to mention how bad Lidstrom was. Not only is he no longer a Norris caliber guy Im not sure he should even be in the discussion.
I thought he was one of the more dangerous Red Wings last night. Walked in and almost scored aswell. Hes already won the Norris this season just like he won the Norris last season before training camp

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Jones View Post
Maybe bad by his standards, but still above-average. There wasn't anything from his play I can honestly say was God-awful, but this much we can ascertain--the Wings blueline will be a train wreck when he leaves. At least IMO.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:35 PM
AvsFan7*

Quote:
Maybe bad by his standards, but still above-average. There wasn't anything from his play I can honestly say was God-awful, but this much we can ascertain--the Wings blueline will be a train wreck when he leaves. At least IMO.
I agree completely, me and my cousin got into a very heated argument about this the other day(He lives and Breathes Dead Wings) and for soem reason he still thinks that there Defense will be great without Lidstrom.

Kronwall is overrated, IMO He's a Top 4 Dman and really not much more, my cousin was trying to tell me he'd be a good #1 next year replacing Lidstrom. Then he said Stuart would be a Good top 3 guy, and the Brendan Smith would come in next year and be an amazing Top pairing Defensman, I mean I can understand excpecting that in 2-3 years, but not next year, if he can be a decent Top 4 guy for them they should be happy. Then they have Erricsson(sp?), Kindl and White. Thats really not a very good Defensive group.

I really think we will see the fall of another once great Franchise in the coming years for Detroit. Losing Lidstrom alone will set them back alot, Datsyuk and Zetterberg arent getting younger in 2-3 years both players wont be close to the players they are now(Zetterberg is already showing serious signs of slowing down). All of there players will either be retiring or slowing down in the coming years, and they have nobody to replace them.

There going to end up in the same situation as Colorado, only maybe not a bottom 5 team, because with Babcock coaching alone they will be at least a somewhat decent team. But I can see them missing the playoffs for a couple years in the near future and having to build from a few good draft years. IMO there already showing signs of a falling franchise this year with there Streakiness this year.

In Short, **** Detroit

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Not much to look at. I would want gags-Duchene-winny. Winnik played well with Dutchy before and Jones has been irrelevant for majority of the season. Reward gags with his solid play for the past 2 games( Sacco won't).
Frankly you're putting 2 guys who aren't natural scorers on Dutchy's wings. Now, Jones isn't exactly a natural scorer himself, but he's more likely to produce than Winnik. Seriously, I like Winnik, but I have a better chance of scoring at the Diamond Cabaret than he does at the rink.

Besides, Winnik's been fantastic with J-Mac and Kobascrew. Why would you want to break that unit up?

Old
12-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Frankly you're putting 2 guys who aren't natural scorers on Dutchy's wings. Now, Jones isn't exactly a natural scorer himself, but he's more likely to produce than Winnik. Seriously, I like Winnik, but I have a better chance of scoring at the Diamond Cabaret than he does at the rink.

Besides, Winnik's been fantastic with J-Mac and Kobascrew. Why would you want to break that unit up?
I put Winny with DUchene because they played well before. Galiradi on LW on default, Jones maybe the better player/goal scorer but he hasn't done crap most of the season. IMO he should be either demoted or scratched based on his play/effort.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
I put Winny with DUchene because they played well before. Galiradi on LW on default, Jones maybe the better player/goal scorer but he hasn't done crap most of the season. IMO he should be either demoted or scratched based on his play/effort.
That approach certainly didn't work w/Dutchy. And again, Winnik plays well with just about everyone, but fact remains he can't put the biscuit in the basket.

And though I didn't see it with my own two eyes (listened on the Internet) I heard Jones played well last game.

Old
12-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
That approach certainly didn't work w/Dutchy. And again, Winnik plays well with just about everyone, but fact remains he can't put the biscuit in the basket.

And though I didn't see it with my own two eyes (listened on the Internet) I heard Jones played well last game.
Jones was as good yesterday as he was the past month.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:25 AM
cgf

Quote:
Jones was as good yesterday as he was the past month.
Jones does not deserve to be scratched for being unlucky.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
I thought he was one of the more dangerous Red Wings last night. Walked in and almost scored aswell. Hes already won the Norris this season just like he won the Norris last season before training camp
Defensively he's just not the same player. I also suspect his struggles are why their PK is terrible.

Quote:
I still think Lidstrom is a top pairing defender, but he's certainly not as good as some people hype him up to be.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan7 View Post
I agree completely, me and my cousin got into a very heated argument about this the other day(He lives and Breathes Dead Wings) and for soem reason he still thinks that there Defense will be great without Lidstrom.

Kronwall is overrated, IMO He's a Top 4 Dman and really not much more, my cousin was trying to tell me he'd be a good #1 next year replacing Lidstrom. Then he said Stuart would be a Good top 3 guy, and the Brendan Smith would come in next year and be an amazing Top pairing Defensman, I mean I can understand excpecting that in 2-3 years, but not next year, if he can be a decent Top 4 guy for them they should be happy. Then they have Erricsson(sp?), Kindl and White. Thats really not a very good Defensive group.

I really think we will see the fall of another once great Franchise in the coming years for Detroit. Losing Lidstrom alone will set them back alot, Datsyuk and Zetterberg arent getting younger in 2-3 years both players wont be close to the players they are now(Zetterberg is already showing serious signs of slowing down). All of there players will either be retiring or slowing down in the coming years, and they have nobody to replace them.

There going to end up in the same situation as Colorado, only maybe not a bottom 5 team, because with Babcock coaching alone they will be at least a somewhat decent team. But I can see them missing the playoffs for a couple years in the near future and having to build from a few good draft years. IMO there already showing signs of a falling franchise this year with there Streakiness this year.

In Short, **** Detroit
Kronwall is a pretty good #3. Makes some mistakes and can be a retard in his own end, but solid offensively and can hit people.

Stuart is probably about the same caliber of player. I like him a lot more in his own end compared to Kronwall, but he's not exactly setting the world on fire offensively.

Kindl has talent to be a decent PMD, but were not seeing it right now. I still think he will be a top four defenseman, however.

Ericsson sucks. He's an alright bottom pairing defenseman, I guess. The fact he's got a horrible contract makes me LOL.

White is a decent #4 who can run a breakout/PP. I really like him, but he's not the savior of any defense.

Brendan Smith will be a top pairing defenseman someday, but it's more a question of when than if. I'd say give it a couple years.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Gumballhead

A few days later, this victory still feels awesome.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Jones does not deserve to be scratched for being unlucky.
Apparently, no one on the avs is capable of playing badly. Everybody is either unlucky or snakebitten.

Old
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
cgf

Quote:
Apparently, no one on the avs is capable of playing badly. Everybody is either unlucky or snakebitten.
To be honest nobody on the team is playing badly right now. Winnik-McClement-Kobascrew are playing great in their role right now. Radar's line is doing awesome and the Dutchy-Staz-Jones line was playing really well to. Dutchy back to creating good scoring chances, Jones has been very physical going into the corners for the other two and Staz has been playing really well for a few games. That just leaves the 4th liners of whom Galiardi is playing well, Porter hasn't been terrible and Yip...still can't skate...

You're point isn't invalid as Duchene was playing poorly to start the season, Kobasew was being asked to do too much and so was also struggling mightily. McClement and Galiardi didn't get on the Ice enough to get a grove. Jones wasn't very good for a while when Sacco was trying **** like a Lindstrom-Galiardi-Jones third line. Lindstrom wasn't very good outside of the Ottawa game way back when. Hejda had been playing like absolute crap until recently. I'm not trying to say that Avs players never play poorly, but for the past week or two I don't really have any complaints of any of the forwards, Quincey's gone back to being stupid too often and that's frustrating, the team's still missing a couple of pieces which is why even though everyone is playing well we won't go on a massive winning streak, but right now is not the time to make that post. Give it a week or two and some guys will probably start struggling again, but right now other than Quincey, Yip and Elliott in this last game I don't think anyone's really been playing badly and Quincey and Yip have both still been mediocre while Elliott was still really effective on the PP despite the bad turnovers.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote