HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: New Four Conference Format Next Year

Old
12-06-2011, 02:03 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
It is going to be kind of hard to get excited about other teams' interconference games, or their games with the other two conferences. Next year who cares in Detroit is playing Philadelphia. Other than wanting to see a good game there is no rooting interest.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:09 AM
ru4reals

Hmmm so correct me if I'm wrong. Even if we have a better record then a team in the other conference, but we're not in the top four in our own conference we won't even make the playoffs? Wow, we probably won't even make the playoffs next year with how stacked our conference is.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
It's called explaining, not complaining. Many of you weren't around when this was the way the playoffs worked in the 80s

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:54 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Before next season starts.

Wonder how many games the Kings will play against Dallas now. Probably only 4.
When Phoenix moves to Quebec, I'd expect Dallas to replace them in the West.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Hello new rivals

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:32 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
It's called explaining, not complaining. Many of you weren't around when this was the way the playoffs worked in the 80s
You mean when the Kings were fodder for the Oilers and Flames?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:32 AM
unhinged97

Quote:
I fully agree. It's also the perfect time to go back to point disbursement from back then when a loss was a loss and they didn't give out "ribbons" for losing in OT. Take out the shootouts, as well.

unhinged97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:26 AM
kynen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
If you're the 5th place team in one conference, but have a better record than some 4th place team in another, it's going to even out over the years, so just suck it up and deal with it.
Because in 10 years Bettman will not redesign the conferences again? We'll be at a disadvantage now, and in 10 years when it's time to even it out we'll get handed a new format that is (again) to our disadvantage and to the advantage of the leafs etc. Think about it... It'll happen.

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:36 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Teams will play teams within their conference six times - 3 home, 3 away. Home and home with everyone else.

That sucks. . Kings will only be in Dallas once per season.
But they are in Colorado three times now. Woot.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Love the new layout.
Kings have one of the best records against eastern teams. Playing them all twice in a year will benefit us. Also yotes will head to Quebec i bringing us to 7 teams. We already played Vancouver and San jose the last 2 years so nothing will change for our playoff matchups. Less travel as well. Like it

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:07 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
Hmmm so correct me if I'm wrong. Even if we have a better record then a team in the other conference, but we're not in the top four in our own conference we won't even make the playoffs? Wow, we probably won't even make the playoffs next year with how stacked our conference is.
Correct. It's no different though than weaker teams in the east making the playoffs vs. western teams. It will just be magnified given it'll be occurring in four conferences vs. two.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:12 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Well then maybe instead of being *****es, the Kings should become the dynasty eh?

The only thing I hate about this is unequal number of teams in each conference, with the Kings getting the shaft in that regard. Otherwise, it's fantastic. Bring back divisional (conference, whatever) playoffs and get your hate on. Besides, the Canucks already have a head start in that regard. No idea why the insist on calling them conferences instead of divisions though.
The Kings conference will shrink to 7 if Phoenix moves east.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Highly unlikely. Dallas wanted out of the Pacific.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
I
Still don't understand why there isn't more teams in the eastern time zone together. Colombus and Detroit should be split in the other conferences and Phoenix should move to the "central" conference.
Bad idea.
Phoenix is in the Pacific time part of the year and the Mountain the rest of the year.
At least choose a team that participates in DST.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
No, the Quebec team would just go to an 8 team division while ours would become 7, thats what makes this setup work

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
The Kings conference will shrink to 7 if Phoenix moves east.
Sure, but there's no guarantee of that happening. Regardless, it's not exactly fair for whichever teams end up in 8 team conferences. Of course, it's not the end of the world, but I just like things to be equal.

For those unhappy with the added difficulty of making the playoffs, look at it this way: the regular season means more now.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:58 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
4 teams make the playoffs in each conference. Brutal.
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
And this will end up being a 7 team conference. Ill guess that Phoenix moves up north and goes to divsion with the NE teams and FLA or TB move down
Agreed. For those saying the NHL shafted the Kings again, not so. Phoenix could relocate this off-season for all we know and it's a seven team conference. If anything, the league did us a favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
So the first two rounds of the playoffs will be in your "conference" which will breed brutal rivalries. I like that a lot. It sucks that we are in an 8 team conference but if Phoenix gets moved to Quebec we're down to 7, which is (likely) something to look forward to. Feels like our conference is, outside of Calgary, pretty damn good. Edmonton and Colorado are on their way up with some good young talent and SJ/Van are Western powerhouses.

Also cool is potentially playing an eastern team in the third round.

Overall I think I like it.
I do as well. As someone who was around to see the old system where four teams per division made the playoffs, I loved it. Yes, you had Edmonton and Calgary meeting each year in the second round which sucked hard for the Kings, Jets and Canucks, but that was it. And the reason those two met every year is because they built ridiculous powerhouses and had no cap issues to deal with, as well as UFA at 32, so they could keep them together for 10+ years. Under a cap system and UFA as early as 25, that'd be basically impossible now. Between Calgary and Edmonton, one of those teams made the Stanley Cup finals each year from 1983-1990, winning all but two times. That will never happen again in all likelihood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
3 Canadian teams in our conference = 9 less games on television.
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
It really looks like they're setting this up so Phoenix can move to one of those "Eastern" conferences.
Likely, though I think it's a few years away myself if they intend on going to Quebec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
While I love the concept, this layout is simply not fair to teams in the 8 team conferences. A squad in the 7 team conference has to beat out one less team to make the playoffs. That's huge with the parity in the league. Half the teams in two conferences make the playoffs, while 57% do in the other two.

But seriously, no more expansion please. Some franchises are struggling right now, and it's not like there are big markets begging for a team. I don't want to see another work stoppage down the road due to small markets not being able to keep up.
No system is 100% fair. Like now when the divisional champions automatically get top two seeding. I remember one year Carolina won their division but barely had enough points to beat out the number eight seed in the conference. Every system has its flaws, so does this.

Quote:
The toughest part is if you have an incredibly tough team in your "Conference" like the Kings had with Edmonton in the Smythe Division in the 80s. Assuming that your team is playing well, you can count on meeting that team in the 2nd round every year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Yea exactly. For years it was a given the Kings were never going to make it out of their division.
Doubtful that would happen now due to salary caps and early UFA ages. A team could stay good for 4-5 years maybe, but they can be beat. And I'd rather see the rivalries which will come of this than worry about a maybe could happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Seriously though, those were playoffs, I remember reading somewhere after the Islanders beat the Oilers, Gretzky and company walking past the Islander locker room expecting to hear the celebration going on, they didn't hear, they saw the Islanders and what it took to win, and it took everything they had, and then some, and I remember Gretzky saying that was the moment the Oilers needed, to learn how to win, and they went and won the next 5 out of 6 I believe.
Five out of seven. But yes, that is a great (and true) story, Gretzky and Lowe walking by the Islanders room, expecting to hear cheering only to be greeted by the sight of beat up, bruised and sore men just as interested in ice packs as the cup itself. The wives and managers were celebrating more than the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unhinged97 View Post
It's also the perfect time to go back to point disbursement from back then when a loss was a loss and they didn't give out "ribbons" for losing in OT. Take out the shootouts, as well.
Agreed. I'd love to hear what other sports fans think of our point system, particularly three point games and loser points. And the shootout should go. It's a nice entertianment gimmick I agree, but it'd the equivalent of a basketball game being decided by a three-point or slam dunk contest. We are the only sport that rewards losing and decides a game which is a team sport by using individuals in a shootout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynen View Post
Because in 10 years Bettman will not redesign the conferences again? We'll be at a disadvantage now, and in 10 years when it's time to even it out we'll get handed a new format that is (again) to our disadvantage and to the advantage of the leafs etc. Think about it... It'll happen.
When Phoenix moves, which is about a 99% guarantee of happening one of these years, the conference we are in goes down to seven teams, so we are actually one of two conferences as an advantage this time. If Phoenix were to relocate this off-season, we could possibly never play a game under the eight-team conference format (assuming it's decided Phoenix moves before the schedule is made, unlike Atlanta to Winnipeg). The NHL doesn't have some anti-LA agenda. Give it a rest everyone.

I really like this idea, and I've always wanted the divisional (now apparently to be called conference) rivalries to return. Watching Calgary-Edmonton play every year was epic, and there was other good rivalries too. Montreal-Quebec, Montreal-Boston, Washington-Philadelphia, Detroit-St. Louis, all good series. When you see two teams play each other three or four straight years in a row, the rivalry gets beyond intense. They literally begin to hate the other team. Imagine playing a team three straight years in the playoffs after having played them a minimum of five times in the regular season. That'd be as much as 36 games against one another in three years. You run out of insults to say. Sean Avery would be killed. You even begin to hate the other teams anthem singer. The fans hate each other (way more than now). I'm loving this idea, and I appluad the NHL for doing it

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Sure, but there's no guarantee of that happening. Regardless, it's not exactly fair for whichever teams end up in 8 team conferences. Of course, it's not the end of the world, but I just like things to be equal.

For those unhappy with the added difficulty of making the playoffs, look at it this way: the regular season means more now.
Completely agree. Although I expect Bettman will get to 28 or 32 teams post haste.

The unfairness of it is mitigated somewhat by the positives of the move. Vancouver should be in our conference/division, and should have been a long time ago. Dallas should not. Colorado should. Matchups should be time-zone friendly and they finally are.

We should also see every team every year, and that's finally being fixed. Lots to like here.

Last edited by TonySCV: 12-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old
12-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Completely agree. Although I expect Bettman will get to 28 or 32 teams post haste.
I can't see 32 teams with so many in financial trouble already. 28 would be ideal, but I also don't like seeing fan bases lose their team. It's a tough call for sure.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:26 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Yep, if you can't beat the teams in your conference your team is going to suck. That would actually work out quite well for the Kings these days.

Another thing we may see develop is teams tailoring their rosters to combat players within their own conference and somewhat definitive styles of play within a conference.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:36 AM
nocturn

On a lighter note, I hope they go back some of the old Division and Conf names. Campbell, Smythe, Adams...etc.

Last edited by nocturn: 12-06-2011 at 10:46 AM.
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

This is very good for Detroit. It never made sense for them to be in the "Western" Conference.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
On a lighter note, I hope they go back some of the old Division and Conf names. Campbell, Smythe, Adams...etc.
Agreed. They never should have changed them.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Chazz Reinhold

I don't see any way they could still do an "East/West" breakdown of the last two rounds of the playoffs now, even though they haven't decided on that. The whole point behind the 4 conferences is to get away from the "Eastern conference/Western conference" idea, so making the last two rounds of the playoffs a straight up 1 through 4 seeding no matter which conference the team is from makes the most sense with they way they're doing regular season play and the first two rounds of the playoffs. To still have a mandatory "Eastern final" and "Western final" and have those two winners square off in the Cup finals would defeat the whole purpose of this new 4-conference focus.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Oh, and I wish MLB would go the same route. I'm sick of seeing a division opponent 19 times.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote