HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Approves New Four-Conference Format For Next Season

Old
12-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Stockey
Let's Go Buffalo!

vCash: 500
I'm sure going to miss the Buffalo/Philly rivalry. It was fun while it lasted....

Stockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Damaged Goods

At first glance, it looks like our Conference will be the toughest if the Devils don't go in the tank.

This also guarantees that the Flyers, New York Rangers, New Jersey Devils, Capitals and Penguins can not all make the playoffs in the same season (such as in 2008-2009, when 6 out of 7 teams from our new conference made the playoffs).

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:54 AM
Unstable

Seems to me that the Flyers got everything they could want (including the least intra-conference travel of any team in the NHL, per Puck Daddy).

Some months back, I remember a post (I forget where, was it here?) saying to look to Snider to see what plan would have the best chance of ultimately being adopted. That seems pretty possible to me.

Some of his recent decisions (Sarah Palin, possibly Bryz according to some) are not as good as some of his earlier decisions (hockey in Philadelphia), but it will be a big loss when he's gone.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:01 AM
SolidSnakeUS

So wait, how will the playoffs work then? Who would get in?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:07 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

I really think that the possible relocation of the Coyotes to Quebec is taken care of with this format.

Right now, there are 2 new western conferences in place of the current western conference. Both those conferences would field 8 teams, while the 2 new eastern conferences would field 7 teams each. Should the Coyotes relocate, just put them into the Northeast division with MTL, TOR, OTT and the others. Then you have an 8 team and a 7 team conference in place of the current conferences each. That's the fairest distribution without expanding or contracting 2 teams.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:21 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Sucks for Tampa/Florida, who now have to play 1/4 their season in Canada/Boston/Buffalo.
Sucks more for the other teams that now have to play so many games in Florida... Imagine meeting Tampa/Florida in 12 games.

Another team not too happy about this would be Carolina, I imagine. They go from being in a pretty weak division with low spenders to perhaps the toughest one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
seattle, Kansas City, Quebec and a Hamilton team could all be possible. A league source told andy Strickland that the NHL could expand to 32 teams evening the conferences up at 8 teams a piece
Personally, I'd prefer it if four teams or so were scratched from the league instead. Not enough talent to go round for this many teams, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
That sucks if you're a good team in a tough Conference and place 5th; while another team (that has fewer points than you) in a different Conference places 4th and makes it to the PO...

It sucks even more because that's a huge possibility for the Flyers seeing as how we have NYR, PITT, WSH and NJD in our Conference.

It's also really unfair that Western teams have a 50% chance of making the Playoffs while Eastern teams have a 57% chance.
Your first concern there is valid, back in the 80's the whole Norris division (I think) sucked for a few years. The salary cap and a more liberal free agency should make it so that it won't become that big of a deal though.

The second concern, I am sure there will be either expansion or relocating (or both) coming up to make it more even.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:03 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Let me ask a silly question. Adding an 8th team in your geographic region.....can Philly support a 2nd NHL team?

12-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
Let me ask a silly question. Adding an 8th team in your geographic region.....can Philly support a 2nd NHL team?
I don't think they could.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:25 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

I'm just looking around and trying to find out where they could add a team. Hartford again? But wouldn't they want to be with Boston? And you can't take Boston away from Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo.

Where would the 8th team come from? Any thoughts?

If you pull in Tampa and Florida, which team would agree to move out of your conference? Carolina?

SpinTheBlackCircle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Better than most cities, but probably not. The only really strong candidates for second teams are Toronto and Chicago, imo.

Old
12-06-2011, 08:43 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
I'm just looking around and trying to find out where they could add a team. Hartford again? But wouldn't they want to be with Boston? And you can't take Boston away from Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo.

If you pull in Tampa and Florida, which team would agree to move out of your conference? Carolina?
You can't split Boston/Toronto/Montreal as for Buffalo and even Ottawa while it may not be a a great idea you could move them out of the norteast.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
The real question is would we? I think the answer is no. It would be like when the body rejects an organ transplant.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
in our favor. like it.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...&postcount=921

If you want to count an "East" and "West" it's still even at 15 vs 15.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:06 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Personally either way I don't expect they leave the conferences unbalanced for long, I think 32 teams in the league is a real possibility very soon. Maybe Phx keeps their team and QC and someone else gets a team. Who knows
People are arguing the 7 and 8 division sizes, but I'm fine with the 7 and 8 divisions, in the end the owners ratified it so they chose the game they want to play.

Although it does open potential for two expansion teams. I was thinking QC and maybe Hamilton?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
LePalle

So basically...

We play Carolina more often.

We play Winnipeg less often.

Our division is all within driving distance.

We only have 7 teams in the conference, and 4 make it in.

...safe to say the Flyers win this realignment?

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:46 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Broad Street Hockey said the first two rounds are inter-conference rounds then the then next round is re-seeded for a final four. So we could so old school Cup Finals like Flyers-Bruins or Flyers-Sabres. That's the best part about this IMO. Playoffs could be real interesting.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Most likely: addition in KC, Columbus --> our division, IMO.

Less likely: addition in GTA might force either CAR or (less likely) PIT to northeast and drive FLA / TB to us.

Least likely: straight addition to our conference. I just don't see it. Hartford is years and a new arena away, and there is really no reason to add to NYC or Philly markets. Baltimore is mostly caps / flyers. I suppose a third try in Atlanta could end up in our conference, but I can't see that in the near future.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
So basically...

I'd say so.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
So basically...

Of all the teams in the NHL, I think its pretty clear that the Flyers lost the least in this arrangement. It's harder to say they "won"--I think the only clear winners are Winnipeg, Columbus, and Detroit, all of which had their travel schedules improve significantly--though that's probably true for everyone in the West.

The only concern is the playoff format. Ours is probably the toughest conference, with only the Islanders as a truly weak team (and how long will that be true with their young core?). Carolina is probably happy from a financial perspective, but its a dicey proposition for them too.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Sucks for Tampa/Florida, who now have to play 1/4 their season in Canada/Boston/Buffalo.
Well it sucks in terms of travel, but there are a ton of relocated Northerners in Florida that will help boost attendance at Florida games (TB is doing alright currently, but they might struggle attendance-wise if the team starts to suck again). There aren't as many relocated Carolinians or Washingtonians in Florida as there are from the more Northern cities. There are actually a ton of relocated Philadelphians in Florida, which is why there are always a fair number of Flyers fans at Panthers and Lightning games.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
Of all the teams in the NHL, I think its pretty clear that the Flyers lost the least in this arrangement. It's harder to say they "won"--I think the only clear winners are Winnipeg, Columbus, and Detroit, all of which had their travel schedules improve significantly--though that's probably true for everyone in the West.

The only concern is the playoff format. Ours is probably the toughest conference, with only the Islanders as a truly weak team (and how long will that be true with their young core?). Carolina is probably happy from a financial perspective, but its a dicey proposition for them too.
The NHL is cyclic. Teams go through good periods and bad periods. At the moment this will be the toughest division. In 5 years, maybe not.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post

Dallas wins. They get out of the Pacific division and into a division in which most of the teams are in their time zone.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
No chance. Even if we could, I don't think people would want to.

It'd be kind of fun though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:21 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:

There are a couple cities out west I'd like to see get a shot with a team first (Seattle, maybe Portland, maybe Kansas City again). I think Quebec City is a no-brainer. And lately I've been wondering how strong of a following a team in Halifax would have. The Metro Centre there only holds about 10,000+ seats, so they'd have to add about 5-6,000 (I'm growing against the larger arenas, they're unnecessary, WPG is doing incredible with a 15,000+ arena).

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Clyde Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
top 4 teams in each conference(there are 4 conferences=16 teams)

1vs 4 and 2vs3 then the winners play eachother for the conference championship

ex) Pitt vs Devs and Phi vs Caps then Phi Pitt for conference championship

4 teams are left(winners of each conference) and possibly reseeded for the Stanley Cup semi finals

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote