HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quote from Holland re: trades

Old
12-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

vCash: 500
Quote from Holland re: trades

I bought this book last week, very cool. The book contains an interesting and exclusive quote from Holland:

Quote:
I'm not doing any more rentals, because [Detroit's] system is about getting [players] from Europe, college and junior into [minor pro] and then you've got to get them into [the NHL,] and if I [acquire 'rental' players, I] don't have enough picks -- like when we went to the draft in 1999 in Boston with no first pick, no second pick, no third pick and no fourth pick. I cracked a joke to the guys the night before the draft. I said, 'Just so you all know, I got 20 tickets to the Red Sox tomorrow. The game starts at noon and we're going to leave [scout] Marty Stein sitting at the table. He's going to cross out names [of players as they are drafted] and we should be back to the table by 4 o'clock because I think our first pick is going to come somewhere between 5:00 and 5:30."
So it seems Holland is pretty against rentals... most of us knew this already but I've never heard him be this adamant about it. I wonder if he'll hold true to this at the deadline.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
I bought this book last week, very cool. The book contains an interesting and exclusive quote from Holland:

So it seems Holland is pretty against rentals... most of us knew this already but I've never heard him be this adamant about it. I wonder if he'll hold true to this at the deadline.
He held this position in part because our system was pretty weak after years of trading picks around the turn of the century. He said several times this year he will be aggressive and I think that will include perhaps moving a pick or two.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 03:58 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Rentals? Erhm, why wouldn't they re-sign the guy (if his contract expires at the end of the season)

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Konnan511
#FreePulu

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Rentals? Erhm, why wouldn't they re-sign the guy (if his contract expires at the end of the season)
Because most rentals are overpayed and the team who trades them are looking to dump their bad salaries. Most players don't want to re-sign for less, so teams usually release them to FA at season's end.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Run the Jewels

Well he's traded for a few rentals after that 1999 season. Is he less willing to make those trades now? Yeah, I would agree with that statement. With the salary cap you need to draft as many guys as possible so trading draft picks goes directly against that philosophy. With that being said we obviously needed to acquire a top 4 d-man in 2008 and Holland went out and traded two draft picks for Brad Stuart. He traded Shawn Matthias and 2 draft picks for Todd Bertuzzi in 2007. He traded a draft pick to pick up Cory Cross in 2006.

These guys weren't rentals but he traded Sean Avery and Maxim Kuznetsov and 2 draft picks for Mathieu Schneider in 2003 and traded Tomas Fleischmann and 2 draft picks for Robert Lang.

So with that being said I think Holland has the correct approach. If his team is close to being competitive he'll go out and do what he can to fill the missing piece. With Bertuzzi the first time around he just wasn't fully healthy. With Stuart it worked perfectly. If he can get a top 6 forward without grossly overpaying to do so I'm confident he'll get a deal done.

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Just to clarify, this quote is from the last year or so. The book came out very recently and the author conducted interviews with multiple GMs.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:16 PM
FabricDetails

There goes the Ruutu possibility I guess. Cross that name off.

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Run the Jewels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice View Post
Just to clarify, this quote is from the last year or so. The book came out very recently and the author conducted interviews with multiple GMs.
OK, that's good to know. He mentioned 1999 so I figured maybe he was talking about trading a bunch of his draft picks from one particular draft class. We'll see what happens this season, I still think there's a decent shot he trades for a top 6 forward. If he doesn't then this would provide a pretty good reason why he decided to hold tight. As much as I'd like Zach Parise right now, I really like the idea of getting him this summer when it costs you nothing but cap space!

Run the Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
During that baseball game in Beantown, Holland had those 4 hours to contemplate over picking Z...Z went in the 7th rd that year

boston in 99 couldnt have been that bad

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
There goes the Ruutu possibility I guess. Cross that name off.
Why wouldn't Ruutu re-sign with us?

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:35 AM
TheOtherOne

Well if he signs a player at the deadline to a short contract, isn't it unknown whether that player is a "rental" until after the contract runs out and we decide whether it's a player worth keeping?

Hossa was a rental. But if we re-signed Hossa, he wouldn't have been a rental. So...

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:14 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
OK, that's good to know. He mentioned 1999 so I figured maybe he was talking about trading a bunch of his draft picks from one particular draft class. We'll see what happens this season, I still think there's a decent shot he trades for a top 6 forward. If he doesn't then this would provide a pretty good reason why he decided to hold tight. As much as I'd like Zach Parise right now, I really like the idea of getting him this summer when it costs you nothing but cap space!
I definitely agree with you, but if we get Parise for the playoffs and have exclusive rights to negotiate a long-term deal, I would gladly pay in prospects and picks at the deadline!

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote