HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Healey, Simpson, Hughson

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I didn't disagree with anyone, I'm saying that he's not there to be some expert play-by-play man, he's there to piss us off - and it works.
I know, didn't take it that way. I like the sound of the game, I don't enjoy turning off the volume or turning on the radio, sometimes the tv and the radio are not in sync so it is not an option. One is on a delay or what I don't know so really we are left with little choice.

Chris Cuthbert is an excellent play by play man, not sure why they let him go to TSN. Should have made him #1 over 'Henrik', 'Daniel', one name Hughson.

I would much prefer Cole doing the games, he's still miles better than anyone on CBC at the moment.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Felstead
Boss Status

Honestly, id throw in Greg Millen too. He loves to talk about plays that happened ten minutes ago/last period, and show 10 replays with 10 different angles.

Old
12-06-2011, 10:59 AM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue and White View Post
Hughson and Simpson are ok, Healy is just.... awful. Saturday night for example (paraphrased) "Connolly's been getting cleaned on the draws all night, why does Wilson keep putting him out there?" Hughson- "they just iced the puck."
His recovery was pathetic:

"Well still, ya think they could try Liles."

He's a bumbling idiot.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
His recovery was pathetic:

"Well still, ya think they could try Liles."

He's a bumbling idiot.
He blamed Kessel for throwing the puck away along the boards in Sat's game and it wasn't even him on the ice, I don't know what he was watching.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:04 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not sure how to organize this, but searching for ideas how to let CBC know Leafs fans don't want these 3 men, Healey, Simpson, Hughson doing their games. I think I have seen enough negative comments on our board that are not happy with their work.

Watching the Leafs play The Rangers last night was just a reminder how it was to hear very good impartial announcers for a change on MSG network led by Sam Rosen. When Bob Cole did a rare Leafs game this year, I don't know about the rest of Leafs fans but I didn't realize how much I missed his play by play calls.

Does anyone think CBC will listen?

Anyway here is the contact page unless somone has an email address.

http://www.cbc.ca/contact/
I don't like the cast of Healey, Simpson and Hughson but not for the same reasons as most Leaf fans, who come across as whiners, IMO. I have always disliked Hughson....I can't stand the way he calls a game and I don't care for his voice. The other two guys are nauseating...crappy hockey analysts. I like Ray Ferraro, Chris Cuthbert, Mike Emerick, Nik Kypreos and others.

I don't really care if the announcers are Leaf lovers or Leaf haters...either way it shouldn't be known if they are true professionals. Not on a National Broadcast. Joe Bowen has circle jerks for the Leafs. Isn't that enough?

Old
12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I don't like the cast of Healey, Simpson and Hughson but not for the same reasons as most Leaf fans, who come across as whiners, IMO. I have always disliked Hughson....I can't stand the way he calls a game and I don't care for his voice. The other two guys are nauseating...crappy hockey analysts. I like Ray Ferraro, Chris Cuthbert, Mike Emerick, Nik Kypreos and others.

I don't really care if the announcers are Leaf lovers or Leaf haters...either way it shouldn't be known if they are true professionals. Not on a National Broadcast. Joe Bowen has circle jerks for the Leafs. Isn't that enough?
Agreed, this is why we have this thread today, after watching a MSG broadcast, to see and hear how hockey should be broadcast. Impartially and informatively. Hughy could learn a thing from watching Sam Rosen call a game.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:10 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
He blamed Kessel for throwing the puck away along the boards in Sat's game and it wasn't even him on the ice, I don't know what he was watching.
So what? You claim you love Bob Cole? The guy doesn't even get the players names right half the time. I watched Cole call Gunnarsson, Gustavsson many times and totally miss why the whistle was even blown, like he is watching something else...Have you heard Don Cherry butcher names on Coaches Corner?...its comical. Almost like he goes out of his way to mis-pronounce players names. One thing I learned in broadcasting school, is you don't butcher people's names. You practice them until you get them right, otherwise you come across as a hack who doesn't do his homework. It appears that sportscasters are not held to the same standards as newscasters but they should be, if they want to be viewed as professional and credible.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:13 AM
leafspyinottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
They should have an option (maybe part of the Centre Ice package) to JUST listen to the game.

No announcers, just the sounds. Crowd, Ice, Skates, Shots, Goals.

That'd be beautiful.
THIS x 10000000000000000

every now and then CBC will **** up the audio on the "Replay" they show of the Saturday games at 1am and they wont have the commentators track on...just the game sounds...

those nights are like little pieces of heaven

Old
12-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
So what? You claim you love Bob Cole? The guy doesn't even get the players names right half the time. I watched Cole call Gunnarsson, Gustavsson many times and totally miss why the whistle was even blown, like he is watching something else...Have you heard Don Cherry butcher names on Coaches Corner?...its comical. Almost like he goes out of his way to mis-pronounce players names. One thing I learned in broadcasting school, is you don't butcher people's names. You practice them until you get them right, otherwise you come across as a hack who doesn't do his homework. It appears that sportscasters are not held to the same standards as newscasters but they should be, if they want to be viewed as professional and credible.
Cherry does mispronounce on purpose, which is racist and sad.

Cole is still calling a Leaf-Hab game from the 80's, no matter who is playing.

This existing crew could learn a lot (if they are capable) from listening to how the Jays broadcasts are called. Very fair in my opinion.

I enjoy Bowen, but he is biased towards the Leafs - kind of what you would expect on a team broadcast.

The HNIC crew doesn't even comment on the game, they use it as a platform for their agenda.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Interactif

Quote:
He's not the play by play man.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:17 AM
RedRenegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
They should have an option (maybe part of the Centre Ice package) to JUST listen to the game.

No announcers, just the sounds. Crowd, Ice, Skates, Shots, Goals.

That'd be beautiful.

I've been meaning to try this for a while. Apparently if you have a surround stereo (5.1, etc) you can unplug the center channel to kill the voices and keep the rest of the game noise from the other speakers.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Hughson is a fantastic commentator...when he isn't Canucks biased (even when they aren't playing).

"Tonight we have for you the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Montreal Canadiens. In net, we have two goalies that aren't as good as Roberto Luongo"

Old
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
tony m

In a letter (e-mail)
1. Prove that most fans watching Leaf Hockey Games are actual fans of the team (it's obvious but this is the CBC after all)
2. Prove to them that upsetting potential customers and then putting on a commercial s not a smart selling strategy.
3. Inform them (& actually do) that you are cc'ing copies of this letter to the companies that purchase commercials to Leaf games.
4. Have EVERYONE ELSE who feels this way do the same.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony m View Post
In a letter (e-mail)
1. Prove that most fans watching Leaf Hockey Games are actual fans of the team (it's obvious but this is the CBC after all)
2. Prove to them that upsetting potential customers and then putting on a commercial s not a smart selling strategy.
3. Inform them (& actually do) that you are cc'ing copies of this letter to the companies that purchase commercials to Leaf games.
In all honesty, you will need hundreds of thousands of sigs to make an impact. Possible but I doubt that many people care so much

Old
12-06-2011, 11:35 AM
CAVETEETH

I think the biggest problem with these CBC broadcasts that nobody seems to mention is the departure from the two-man call with the occasional (usually once or twice a period) interjection from an ice level colour man as was the custom with Cole-Neale calls, to this three man team of one play-by-play and two color guys (Simpson-Hughson-Healy) that essentially results in a conversation between them with the occasional big play or goal only serving to intertupt the constant drone. I can't count how many plays have developed during these 'conversations' this season that essentially go unnoticed, I think the real victims here are the blind who can't tell the difference between the hotstove and "play-by-play"

Old
12-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

man I wish I had some of your guys' lives if all you have to write letters and complain about are the hockey commentators on CBC

Old
12-06-2011, 11:38 AM
ThreeHundred

Simpson is okay but the other two are HORRIBLE!

I will also leave a comment on their website to tell them how horrible they are!
I couldn't even watch the game on Saturday because Hughson made me fall asleep!
Healy is a complete moron, he has a man crush on Tim Thomas and about every team we play against.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony m View Post
In a letter (e-mail)
Hunger strikes are more effective.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Interactif

Bring back Cole, anyone remember his Borschevsky call in game 7 in OT against the Wings, Sundin's goals...Gilmour scores against Joseph. Hughson and his Mario, 99 crap makes me ill. I don't see it with him at all. Cuthbert was the best heir apparent to Cole but CBC lost him to TSN. TSN has much better hockey telecasts.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Clark4Ever

#freebobcole

Last edited by Clark4Ever: 12-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old
12-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Bring back Cole, anyone remember his Borschevsky call in game 7 in OT against the Wings, Sundin's goals...Gilmour scores against Joseph. Hughson and his Mario, 99 crap makes me ill. I don't see it with him at all. Cuthbert was the best heir apparent to Cole but CBC lost him to TSN. TSN has much better hockey telecasts.
all Bob has going for him is his voice. he can't keep up with the play any more. that's what you want from a play by play man?

Old
12-06-2011, 12:21 PM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
man I wish I had some of your guys' lives if all you have to write letters and complain about are the hockey commentators on CBC
Does it get tiring being miserable all the time?

Old
12-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Does it get tiring being miserable all the time?
how would I know?

Old
12-06-2011, 12:26 PM
stides*

1st world problems

Old
12-06-2011, 12:33 PM

I don't have a problem with Healy or Simpson. Simpson is a bit of a moron but everyone who does his job is. It's Hughson that I can't stand. That guy's calls are so boring. The guy needs to learn to modulate his voice a bit instead of the same bland monotone ******** he always spews out with a scream every once in a while when there's a goal or save. Talking like a depressed emo and then yelling occasionally isn't entertaining. Why the **** don't they have Cole anymore?

Closed Thread