HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tootoo gets suspended two games

Old
12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Tootoo gets suspended two games

Joshua Cooper

Jordin Tootoo suspended two games

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Lindy Ruff wants a joke? there it is.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Mustard

****ing rediculous

Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Awful. I'd love to see an interview with Shanny explaining this one.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

1 game was my guess.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Fork

this is ridiculous, nhl has different rules for different players/teams obviously

Fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Video explanation

http://t.co/fwlJ3A3d

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

In a vacuum, I don't have a problem with the suspension. But Tootoo getting suspended while Lucic gets off with a slap on the wrist is just too hypocritical.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:56 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Awful. I'd love to see an interview with Shanny explaining this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Video explanation

http://t.co/fwlJ3A3d
LOL...well there ya go. Basically, he feels that he didn't try to move out of the way or soften the blow. Garbage.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
In a vacuum, I don't have a problem with the suspension. But Tootoo getting suspended while Lucic gets off with a slap on the wrist is just too hypocritical.
Two wrongs don't make a right. Lucic should have been suspended, but it doesn't give a free pass to Tootoo.

Two games is a good number.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:58 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

BS. No discussion of the pounding after the fact by Miller and Gaustad, or the threat yelled at Lindback. Because it is a Nashville player, because it is Tootoo, because it was MIller's first game back from concussion, and finally because Shanny muffed the more egregious call on Lucic, all are factors in Toots getting 2 games.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. Lucic should have been suspended, but it doesn't give a free pass to Tootoo.

Ditto. If Miller was outside the crease, I doubt he would have gotten anything. Even though he tries to dive out of the way, he still makes contact, intentional or not. I'm satisfied with two games, but certainly not happy about it.

Still don't understand how Miller was allowed to jump him and continuously pound Tootoo in the head....

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Yeah I'm slowly coming around, I'm just mostly still shocked that Lucic got off scot-free

Old
12-06-2011, 02:07 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
And shanny officially becomes a receptacle for vinegar and water

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
AEM6729

Why did Shanny put "previous history" under his Key Points? I thought if a player hadn't received supplemental discipline in the previous 18 months that they aren't considered a repeat offender and their previous history is a moot point.

He said earlier that they took into account that although Toots has been suspended once and fined once in his career, he hasn't received any supplemental discipline in the past 4 seasons...so does he mean that previous history was a key point because he would've gotten more games if he had been considered a repeat offender? Or that he was suspended partly because of his history/reputation? I don't get it.

This is dumb. I guess Shanny is saying that Toots' actions are suspendable because Miller was in his crease, which wasn't the case with the Lucic incident? Makes no sense.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Here goes:

- I don't think Tootoo meant any harm.
- I think him "looking at Miller" was a natural reaction to being pushed off-balance by Erhoff.
- He made a split-second decision to do SOMETHING, because it was clear in his mind that at that time, he was going right at Miller and he didn't want to do that.
- I feel he was trying to jump sideways and miss him, or as Shanahan says minimize contact, but unfortunately it was way too late to avoid.
- The visual of a player leaving his feet and crashing into a goalie makes it look really bad. Whether that had anything to do with it I don't know.
- It's a bang-bang play that played out in a way that something was going to happen, and this is what it was.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

BS. Only proves that there is a serious bias in the league's discipline office.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Why did Shanny put "previous history" under his Key Points? I thought if a player hadn't received supplemental discipline in the previous 18 months that they aren't considered a repeat offender and their previous history is a moot point.

He said earlier that they took into account that although Toots has been suspended once and fined once in his career, he hasn't received any supplemental discipline in the past 4 seasons...so does he mean that previous history was a key point because he would've gotten more games if he had been considered a repeat offender? Or that he was suspended partly because of his history/reputation? I don't get it.

This is dumb. I guess Shanny is saying that Toots' actions are suspendable because Miller was in his crease, which wasn't the case with the Lucic incident? Makes no sense.
The main purpose of "repeat" offender is for determining how much money a player will lose if they get suspended:
Quote:
(b)
For the purpose of calculating salary lost due to suspension, the following
formula will apply:
(i)
for first offenders (first incident requiring supplementary discipline
in the form of a game suspension), Player to forfeit one (1) day's
Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including
Performance Bonuses, for each Regular Season Game lost (1/total
number of days in the Regular Season measured from the date of
the League's first Regular Season Game to the last, irrespective of
the Player's team's schedule);
(ii)
for repeat offenders (second or more incidents requiring game
suspension), Player to forfeit one (1) NHL Game's Paragraph 1
NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including Performance Bonuses,
for each Regular Season Game lost (1/number of Regular Season
Games for each Regular Season Game suspended); and
(iii)
Player Salary and Bonuses lost due to suspension will be
calculated based on a Player's Averaged Amount, as defined in
Article 50 of this Agreement.
(c)
Status as a "first" or "repeat" offender shall be re-determined every
eighteen (18) months, on a rolling basis, i.e., where a Player does not have another
suspension for eighteen (18) months, his next suspension will be treated as a "first"
offense.
For determining whether they will suspend a player or not, and for how long, they can use any and all history in a player's career. The further back a player's last punishment was, the less they will take it into account. But all history will count to some degree.

Last edited by Paranoid Android: 12-06-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
predfan24

Disappointed in Shanny for getting caught up in all the hoopla and making this ruling. Just from my POV Unintentional goalie interference should never get a 5 minute major,a game misconduct or a suspension of any kind.

I love how the video has Shanny breaking the play down in super slow mo when the play happened at a high rate of speed. The time between when Tootoo looked up and saw Miller and he actually made contact with Miller was literally a split second but Shanny makes it sound like in the video he had time to process the situation and make a smart decision which he did not. Toots is reacting on instinct right there. Was it the smartest move on his part? No. But once again it's not like he had time to assess the situation properly.

I will give credence to the fact that play in itself by Tootoo was reckless trying to cut around the D-man at a high speed at such a severe angle. If Tootoo was guilty if doing this type of play regularly I could see a suspension but alas that is not the case.

I wouldn't mind seeing maybe two different unintentional goalie interference penalties. 2 minute minor for bumping or impeding the goaltender and a 4 minute double minor for a more dangerous play ala Tootoos'.

Any more than that and you are further pacifying the game. I hope Shanny realizes this. When you start suspending guys for unfortunate plays when they are just trying to play hard you are going down a dangerous road making players over think what they are doing out there instead of just playing hard and aggressive.

Overall I'm disappointed in Shanny and don't think this sets a good precedence for the NHL.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Here goes:

- I don't think Tootoo meant any harm.
- I think him "looking at Miller" was a natural reaction to being pushed off-balance by Erhoff.
- He made a split-second decision to do SOMETHING, because it was clear in his mind that at that time, he was going right at Miller and he didn't want to do that.
- I feel he was trying to jump sideways and miss him, or as Shanahan says minimize contact, but unfortunately it was way too late to avoid.
- The visual of a player leaving his feet and crashing into a goalie makes it look really bad. Whether that had anything to do with it I don't know.
- It's a bang-bang play that played out in a way that something was going to happen, and this is what it was.
Agreed. 2 games is a Horse $hit call. Miller was not hurt as he clearly started throwing punches at Tootoo when he fell to the ground and it was not his intent to injure. It was just a hockey play gone wrong....now Lucic on the other hand.................................

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Preds311

Pretty fair suspension to me.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Prederator

Live by the sword.....

Tootoo plays on the edge and is very effective as a result. However, when you do that in the NHL, you tend to incite retaliation and you earn a reputation. Therefore, you must be selective in choosing whom you attack. He had lost the puck. There was no upside in running Miller except to get kicked out of the game and suspended for more games.

I love the way Tootoo plays, but he has to be smarter, as his absence both on Saturday (last half of the game) and in the next two games really hurts the team.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

So now players have to be gentle when driving the net trying to score? Common hockey play with contact of the goalie trying to be softened. Should have been goalie interference and nothing more.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:37 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Such horse ****. League is going down the ****terr

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If Tootoo wouldn't have jumped, and instead made an attempt to stop or steer a different direction (even if unsuccessful), I believe his punishment would be less, if any at all. It was just a poor decision by him to try to jump over/around Miller.