HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Tootoo gets suspended two games

Old
12-06-2011, 02:00 PM
ignoreoutcome

vCash: 500
Lucic had both feet on ice 10 feet before hitting Miller. Then he follows through with his arms which means he is ready for impact. Gets nothing. Tootoo jumps sideways to make impact as light as possible and gets 2 games.

ignoreoutcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
So now players have to be gentle when driving the net trying to score? Common hockey play with contact of the goalie trying to be softened. Should have been goalie interference and nothing more.
If a player drives to the net, even with the puck and trying to score, he is never allowed to hit a goaltender as hard as Tootoo hit Miller. He has to be in control of his momentum and direction, even if the contact is incidental. That is the rule, somewhat similiar to controlling the position of your stick blade.

The point is he knew he was going to hit Miller when he committed to that inside track and should have veered off or stopped in time.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:09 PM
braindead

I'd be fine if he just said the attacking player has the burden of avoiding contact so the cut to the net was reckless. Ok, fine. It's a strict liability standard and everyone has to live by it.

But to say the jump made it worse is beyond silly. Once he was there, it was going to be solid contact. What would make it worse would be a shoulder, hands, bracing for impact or EVEN DOING NOTHING. None of those happened. Tootoo tried something and it didn't make it worse.

Result is tolerable but the logic is just completely, breath-takingly lacking.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:10 PM
predfan98

This is part of being a non traditional market with no media presence to make a fuss. This year it means getting screwed by shanahammer. Pekka won't be protected, we don't count. Weber has been put on a shanahammer leash. This protect the star players only mentality is one reason why people sometimes say screw it, sports isn't worth it.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:12 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
The point is he knew he was going to hit Miller when he committed to that inside track and should have veered off or stopped in time.
This may not be totally true. I believe Erhoff had a lot to do with Tootoo having nowhere else to go and not being able to change direction in time.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
If a player drives to the net, even with the puck and trying to score, he is never allowed to hit a goaltender as hard as Tootoo hit Miller. He has to be in control of his momentum and direction, even if the contact is incidental. That is the rule, somewhat similiar to controlling the position of your stick blade.

Hockey is a very fast sport. Sometimes you do not have time to react. Toots started cutting to the net, the dman kept him on course, he lost the puck, looked at puck, looked at goalie, jumped to try and avoid contact but was too late. It is much easier to breakdown the play in slow motion but unfortunatly it doesnt happen that way in real life.

Bottom line is that it should of been a goalie interference penalty and nothing more.

Thanks for letting me post on your board, been a fan of TooToo since he played for the Blizzard and the bugger flatened me in tryouts.

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:24 PM
convotutor

Campbell 2.0 drops the ball.
Sorry guys. David booth made a similar play and didnt get a major or suspension. Bc its a hockey play and no suspension should have been given. plus I believe tootoo was in a position where collision was inevitable due to erhoff defence.

convotutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Prederator

Quote:
This may not be totally true. I believe Erhoff had a lot to do with Tootoo having nowhere else to go and not being able to change direction in time.
Doesn't matter. Tootoo is still at fault, unless he was shoved into Miller by Erhoff, which he was not.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Hockey is a very fast sport. Sometimes you do not have time to react. Toots started cutting to the net, the dman kept him on course, he lost the puck, looked at puck, looked at goalie, jumped to try and avoid contact but was too late. It is much easier to breakdown the play in slow motion but unfortunatly it doesnt happen that way in real life.
Agree, but again, the skater is always at fault unless shoved into the goalie by an opposing player, which he was not. Tootoo should have known going hard to the net with Erhoff on his back there was a darned good chance he was going to hit Miller unless he changed course or stopped.

I love the way Tootoo plays, but IMO he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Old
12-06-2011, 02:42 PM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post

Bottom line is that it should of been a goalie interference penalty and nothing more.

Thanks for letting me post on your board, been a fan of TooToo since he played for the Blizzard and the bugger flatened me in tryouts.
Agreed 100%. Big fan of tootoo. As a bruin fan, tootoo should never have been suspended. I think its a more bending of the will of all the whining that went on then anything and possibly a makeup call for the luc/miller hit. I mean if he burried miller with a cross check or something, but the fact is he didnt even go right over him... I think what he got on the ice, more then paid for his transgession... suspention is just not justified or warrented... I feel for nashville. sorry guys was the wrong call for sure.

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:54 PM
token grinder

after processing this for a bit, I have come to a few conclusions for myself:

1. Previous history, no matter what will come into play. you thnk bertuzzi will get a free pass for hitting a guy from behind if he did it? tootoo had prior history, even though he has changed his game a bit and has gone from pest to hard nosed player.

2. I think everyone, including shanahan knows he got the lucic decision wrong. will never admit it, but this was hs opportunity to make it right and set precedent for the future.

3. i never caught tootoo looking at miller, which was pointed out, nor the fact that he makes contact arm to head. just because of that, he deserves a game.

4. I disagree with the lack of mention of the aftermath or a review of it. I hope the league revies with refs about a guy using a blocker to pummell a guy in the back of the head with a blocker. tootoo could have ended up steve moore there.

5. I wish the refs would have let gaustad and tootoo fight so I wouldn't think he was gutless for hammering a guy when he is on hs belly.

6. i would like to hear a shanahan interview, not a video clip. I want another human asking a question and a follow up question. I would question where tootoo had to go, and how fast can a player reasonably make decisions in real time. As a former toug hockey player, I think it is important to hear this from him. And not just for this incident, but others as well.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:22 PM
NoNecksCurse

horrible just horrible... what makes it worse is lucic gets nothing then toots gets two game.. no consistency already .. pathetic shanahan, campbell 2.0 as someone else said.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
jktsfan*

Jackets fan coming in peace. I think you guys got the shaft on this one. Way too much inconsistency between 'top teams' and 'star players'. Lucic and Tootoo both needed suspended or neither needed suspended. Get it straight Shanahan.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Iron Duke

Why do I feel that if the Tootoo and Lucic plays were swapped, Tootoo still would have been suspended for running the goalie, and Lucic would have gotten off clean from it being a 'hockey play.' I don't think there's any Bruin bias or anything like that, but I DO think it is inherently more convenient for Shanahan to dole out discipline to a 3rd/4th line 'scrub' like Tootoo.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:05 PM
RollingPredFan

I am wondering if Toots ever hit Shanahan.... This is BS, sorry. Just the other day a Canuck flipped over on Rinne and there wasn't even a penalty. This is horse apples lol

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:49 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

What a joke of a suspension. And not because I'm biased.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Dynheart

I would think an ex-hockey player would know all the little tricks and whatnots when crashing the net (specially Shanny...he was a power forward himself...he did that crap for a living)...especially trying to make it look innocent. He probably knows more than all of the HFboards combined. I think it was fair... Smashing into a goalie when he's in the crease/out of the play...WTH? If people say they are allowed to get smashed when they come out of the crease to play the puck, if he doesn't set a standard now...it's like saying players are allowed to smash them while they are in the crease and not even in the play as well.

To summarize: Goalies are farked.

Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:36 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart View Post
I would think an ex-hockey player would know all the little tricks and whatnots when crashing the net (specially Shanny...he was a power forward himself...he did that crap for a living)...especially trying to make it look innocent. He probably knows more than all of the HFboards combined. I think it was fair... Smashing into a goalie when he's in the crease/out of the play...WTH? If people say they are allowed to get smashed when they come out of the crease to play the puck, if he doesn't set a standard now...it's like saying players are allowed to smash them while they are in the crease and not even in the play as well.

To summarize: Goalies are farked.
I disagree. Before the Lucic play goalies werent being run over at will and that wasnt going to change. I still say there is a huge diff between intentionally running the goalie like Lucic and running into the goalie making a hockey play like Tootoo.

I think a logical solution to this problem is have two different penalties for goalie interference. 2 minute minor for impeding or bumping the goalie and 4 minute double minor for a play like Tootoos. If a player is guilty of that type of play multiple times then start suspending people when it's obvious they are making plays like that often.

Toot's play was reckless and he deserved a penalty but it's a joke a guy gets suspended for playing hard. That is what this suspension is. It's not cheap or dirty either. I always rejected the claims that the NHL was , for lack of a better word, wussifying the sport. But at least in my mind when I think about it logically it's hard to argue that sentiment when looking at this ruling

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:03 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

hate this league. I thought getting rid of colin campbell would change things but i guess not. makes me want to vomit.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:24 AM
token grinder

I think the other thing to consider is that while lucic was not suspended, all gms were given refreshers on goalie intereference and had warned all teams at once.

but given the hit to the head, I understand it

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Legionnaire11

I wonder what the play would look like if Miller didn't catch Tootoo. He throws his left arm out (most likely natural instinct), which really locked the players together. Otherwise, I don't think Miller even goes down to the ice and the whole collision looks a lot less violent.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote