HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4 Divisions next year

Old
12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
One Trick Pony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I can handle divisions but strongly dislike playoff seeding. 5th best in one division may 3rd in another and won't make it. First 1-2 teams from each division on top of conference last 4 fight for remaining spots. Keep it 1 vs 8 and not division champ crap
But when you think about it sometimes the 9th/10th seeds in the West are better than the 8th in the East. It comes back to the same thing.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
habs NEED to make sure we have a strong plan in place & a management team capable of executing on it, or else in no time we could find ourselves stuck in the 5-6-7 spot on a regular basis
Let's first stop to give 7.5M$ cap hits to 30 point scorers... Our core is young and talented we need to built around but built intelligently.

We'll see next summer our committed our front office is. Few contracts off the books, key RFA's to sign and one fat contract to hide.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
the only real problem i have is with the playoff format...

should be a conference cross over format, silly that first two rounds are within conference, good for rivalries, bad for ensuring top teams advance.

for us, it's not a great situation.

imo,

Boston is perhaps best stacked team in the league in terms of established & up and coming talent.
Chiarelli has proven to be a schrewd manager.

Toronto seems to finally be on the up. As much as I doubt they are "this good" yet, if Reimer continues to show he's the real deal, they have a pretty solid stable of talent assembled, will always be a cap spending team, and Burke has shown capable of assembling contending rosters.

Ottawa & Florida are stacked with top-quality young talent, their management is dubious, but if they don't screw up over the next 2-3 seasons, they should become much better teams.

Buffalo is now a cap spending team, remains to be seen how effective Reiger is managing that, but he was one of the best at fielding competitive teams on a budget.

Tampa is perhaps the most likely team to struggle to remain a top team year after year, but with Boucher/Yzerman in place, and with Stamkos/St-Louis/Hedman/Lecavalier as their core, as long as management doesn't restrict budget too much, they should be continually improving as well.

all in all, as much as recent history would suggest a "good" conference to be in (given Ott/Toronto/Fla/TB struggles and buffalo being a budget team), but looking at the make up of those 5 organizations, their current prospect pools, and their current leadership, and I'm concerned we may quickly end up playing in the toughest conference in the league...

habs NEED to make sure we have a strong plan in place & a management team capable of executing on it, or else in no time we could find ourselves stuck in the 5-6-7 spot on a regular basis
And Brian Burke should go into the Hall of Fame builders category for setting up the Bruins as Cup contenders for another 15 years with Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight all in the Bruins organization.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Just realized this is pretty much like what the AHL had up until this season where they rearranged it to make it more like the NHL does now.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
karatekid

Is anyone else pissed that we have to watch Florida 6 times a year?

karatekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:02 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid View Post
I am sure hockey fans in Florida (Snowbirds) are really happy about it ! (as well as the teams' owners...)

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Cookie007

Wouldn't this give us a better chance of reaching the Stanley Cup finals again? i'm sure next year we can be top 4 out of 7 in our division. And we already have a good regular season records vs the likes of Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, Ottawa, TB, Florida. So if our players get on a hot streak and Price plays solid (doesn't need to be the best), our chance of reaching the final 4 dance is a lot better than having to face Philly (where we always get dominated in the playoffs), Washington, NYR (where Price always suck at MSG), Pittsburgh.

Cookie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
PricePkPatch

Florida part of our division is definitely a shrewd business move.

However, I heard on the radio that, reportedly, only 4 teams out of 26 opposed the new structure. They were Habs, Florida, Tampa & ...

I kinda forgot the other. Someone else was listening to 98,5?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Florida part of our division is definitely a shrewd business move.

However, I heard on the radio that, reportedly, only 4 teams out of 26 opposed the new structure. They were Habs, Florida, Tampa & ...

I kinda forgot the other. Someone else was listening to 98,5?
Wasn't listening, but earlier today Lebrun (I think) and McKenzie had New York and Tampa, respectively, as teams that voted no.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

for the most part I like it, but playing every team in the league at least twice is kind of stupid. The NBA does that and the NBA has basically 0 actual rivalries between teams. Just between players.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
for the most part I like it, but playing every team in the league at least twice is kind of stupid. The NBA does that and the NBA has basically 0 actual rivalries between teams. Just between players.
As a paying fan in the stands, I would like to see every team at least once a year in my arena...

As a hockey consumer on TV, I'd prefer not to see some teams too often or at all.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
C77

A few years ago this would have looked so much to be in Montreal, Boston, and Toronto's favor with regard to qualifying for the playoffs.

Now, those teams still have the advantage of spending up to the cap, but the two Florida teams finally have competent management.

The new alignment looks tough for Carolina and the Isles...unless they get that new arena. As a fan this is the team of Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Smith, Tonelli, Bourne, Nystrom etc. and it's so frustrating that a franchise can be hamstrung by an arena issue.

By the way...the door is open for the Battle of Quebec to resume.

Happy Holidays to the Habs board.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I am sure hockey fans in Florida (Snowbirds) are really happy about it ! (as well as the teams' owners...)
Probably a logical reason why it was those two teams chosen to join the NE, given that tons of fans from Montreal and Toronto specifically sell out these games. Extra sellout in the bank for Florida and Tampa.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
TinordiandSubban

Once the Nordiques and Whalers rejoin the Conference then it will be much more fun to watch.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Ginu

What happens when Quebec and the second Toronto team join the league? IMO it's pretty obvious those are the next two teams coming to the NHL. That would likely shift one Florida team out. Which one to Conference D then? It'll be strange for the Florida teams to be in separate conferences though considering the travel.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:33 PM
JFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
What happens when Quebec and the second Toronto team join the league? IMO it's pretty obvious those are the next two teams coming to the NHL. That would likely shift one Florida team out. Which one to Conference D then? It'll be strange for the Florida teams to be in separate conferences though considering the travel.
Easy solution would be to transfer Boston into the "Atlantic" division.

JFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:35 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
wont happen

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Isn't Florida leading the SE division, with a better record than a lot of other teams in the East? You shouldn't dismiss a team just because it misses the playoffs for a few years in a row.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Subbanned

I know they were trying to preserve the Atlantic "rivalvries" but putting our NE div with the Florida teams is the one blatantly non-geographic portion of this realignment.

Subbanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Subbanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Isn't Florida leading the SE division, with a better record than a lot of other teams in the East? You shouldn't dismiss a team just because it misses the playoffs for a few years in a row.
This is true, for now. They're no doubt a better team than last year and they could very well continue to lead the SE, especially if the caps can't put it back together.

But, I wouldn't count either of those two scenarios as anywhere close to definite but way more close to the realm of "possible" with an equal chance that they end up barely making the playoffs with Caps back on top.

They're a Flash/Weiss injury away from having scoring problems.

Subbanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
QcnARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
I can't see that happening. There is far too much history between Montreal and Boston to split them.

QcnARF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Bullsmith

Short term the East wins huge. The central and west teams trade less travel for less playoff slots per team. 4/7 is vastly better odds than 4/8, as well as being better than what we have now in 8/15.

This is definitely in anticipation of someone moving east (pho-que most likely). What they do then I'll be interested to see. If the habs end up having to make top 4 in an 8 team div while the Rags only have to be top 4/7, I won't be happy. But honestly, could the NHL slant the field against Bos, Mtl and To all the same time? Unlikely. The easy answer is to go to top 8/15, but if that's the long term plan why give people a taste of divisional playoff matchings now?

Anyway, big big win for the east.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I'm sure florida fans are thrilled about playing our exciting team.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Actually separating the Florida teams would make lots of sense. That's the way pro sports deal with proximate teams generally. probably help them establish separate identities. In MLB the big cities/states have multiple teams, one in each league. Ditto football.

They're separate businesses and the travel differences going from FLA to Bos instead of NY are frankly negligable. Yes it's nice for the Habs to do a "Florida trip" but if I'm running the Florida team, what do I care. I'd rather be in the Atlantic and have a monopoly on Flyers, Rangers and Penguins fans than be serving up the identical product as the other Florida team is, often on back to back nights.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
That figures. The NBA has the highest quota of individualist hot shots in major professional team sports.

Teufelsdreck is online now   Reply With Quote