HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Has deeper pockets changed pred hockey?

Old
12-05-2011, 05:18 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
Has deeper pockets changed pred hockey?

What is pred hockey? Its gritty, team-oriented underachievers overachiving consistently enough to make the playoffs over more talented, better funded teams. Player dogs it? He's scratched. Goalie sucks? The backup becomes the new #1 .... until he sucks, then the next backup becomes #1 (see vokoun, mason, ellis, rinne). With the exception of Kariya, Forsberg and maybe Arnie, there has never been a class system on the preds.

That was before we openly committed to our Big 3.

Pekka got mega-bucks, Suts will get his during the year, and Webs will get his after the year is over.

Pekka/Webs/Suts are acknowledged by the Front Office and the coaching staff as the long term core of our team.

So, how does Trotz handle these guys. When your $7mm goalie begins to suck, you can't sit him, play his backup and grow a new #1 for next year. You're committed financially so you have to stick with him (see Dipietro).

Or Webs is underachieving or not playing to his potential. Normally, Trotz would do things to get his attention (call him out, sit him, make him do "agains" like in Miracle). But, can he afford to piss off the guy we're trying to convince to stay her and sign a long term deal.

Or Suts calls Trotz out in the media. As with Webs, we're looking to convince Suts to be here forever. Where's management's leverage in treating him like everyone else when you've publicly stated he a "must sign".

We've created an Elite 3. They all happen to be good people so it can still work, but I bet Trotz has to treat them differently than the other 20 guys. We're counting on them to hold themselves accountable. If they grow not to like us, they leave for more money and more star treatment. As for Pekka, he was a "All Sales are Final". Not saying he isn't worth it, but whether he is or isn't, he's now our 7 year mortgage and there's no bail outs.

Don't know what's worse, tip toeing around the two guys you need to sign, or committed to the highest paid goalie in the league who's giving up goals in clusters lately. Both are very un-pred-like situations.

Maybe this is another step in our evolution as a big time franchise. Who would have thought the Preds would have the highest paid player at any position.

By April, if we're in the playoffs again, Suts and Webs have signed for at least 5 years, and Pekka is the guy he was last year, all this will become moot.

But right now, I think the Elite 3 are forcing Trotz's hand like no other situation in pred history. If Suts or Webs is unhappy, he has to make them happy. If Pekka struggles, he has to keep playing him and hope he rights the ship.

Here's a reality check: If the Preds offered Peks to any team as a full contract dump, who would take on the $49mm for 7 years?

It's a new day in Smashville. We've been occupied by our Elite 3.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Jarnberg

And look how far "Predators hockey" has gotten us in the playoffs in years past....

You aren't going to win anything with teams full of Zanons, Fiddlers, etc.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:14 PM
GwtGlads2013
Glads/Preds

While at the game against the Sabres my dad and I both agreed that Nashville needs some more explosiveness at forward. Alot of times it just seems like they don't know how to breakout and create chances, so perhaps someone with some speed and the ability to put the puck in the net 35-40 times a season would be a plus for Nashville.

GwtGlads2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
While at the game against the Sabres my dad and I both agreed that Nashville needs some more explosiveness at forward. Alot of times it just seems like they don't know how to breakout and create chances, so perhaps someone with some speed and the ability to put the puck in the net 35-40 times a season would be a plus for Nashville.

You are 100% correct. They need offensive puck possession and a guy with offensive creativity to make it happen. The dump and chase offense is feast or famine and usually famine. I am really hopeful they can pull off a trade before the deadline to address this.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash2Smash25 View Post
A top 15 goal scorer would be a plus for any team ... that's what 35 goals per season is ... top 15 in the league.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote