HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 08:44 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Laraque?

His value is very high. He's the premier enforcer in the NHL. I love the guy and he's one of my fav. Oilers.

That aside. I think that if we were to include him with Comrie as a package we'd be getting one HUGE return. Do we REALLY need him? I think not. Sure 1/5 games he shows up he is a big part of that game. But thats about it. Our team has taken enough penalties and has shown lots of willingness to fight already. IMO we could really use his value to help the team else where. A team that would be interested in him would perhaps be Ottawa. If we could get say Fisher and Rachunek for Laraque and Smith, I'd be all over it. Or Volchenkov instead of Rachunek would be fine as well. This would also make sense for the Sens too, as adding Smith and Laraque to there team would make them one of THE toughest teams in the NHL. I mean all of a sudden they aren't soft, they're scary:
Chara, Laraque, Smith, Phillips, Vrada, and Niel is a tougher group then any other in the league!

I don't know, just thought I'd throw that out there, as even last year when BG was hurt, we didn't seem to miss him then either.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

The one thing I'd really love to see is Georges winning a cup, the reaction alone would be absolutely priceless, I mean, look at what happens when he scores. The guy would probably be bawling his eyes out with a smile so wide he'd need his jaw worked on after. That'd be awesome to see, it's what the game's all about, a guy who loves it that much.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:12 AM
Tidus

Nah, I've always said Laraque earns his pay in the playoffs. He just becomes one of if not our best player. Who cares if he's not as effective in the regular season? It keeps his value down so the Oilers can actually afford him!

Old
10-31-2003, 06:05 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus
Nah, I've always said Laraque earns his pay in the playoffs. He just becomes one of if not our best player. Who cares if he's not as effective in the regular season? It keeps his value down so the Oilers can actually afford him!
very true, that is an excellent point. If we can get to the playoffs - I'm very confident that we will - we can count on him to take our fourth line and have it dominate when ever it is on the ice.

Old
10-31-2003, 05:15 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
very true, that is an excellent point. If we can get to the playoffs - I'm very confident that we will - we can count on him to take our fourth line and have it dominate when ever it is on the ice.
I think that's happening as often as not now, in the regular season. There's been many times that that line has just dominated play. If only they could graft Kurri's hands onto BG...

Old
10-31-2003, 06:05 PM
momentai

Quote:
That just isn't cost effective. It's not as if we're making it past the first round anyway so I honestly can't see the fascination with a guy that can't bring his game consistently day in and day out. The regular season is where you earn your pay. The playoffs is where you earn your respect.

Old
11-01-2003, 02:14 AM
Tidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
That just isn't cost effective. It's not as if we're making it past the first round anyway so I honestly can't see the fascination with a guy that can't bring his game consistently day in and day out. The regular season is where you earn your pay. The playoffs is where you earn your respect.
Its not like we're paying him the big bucks anyway. He's the best fighter in the league, and he makes less than other guys in his class like domi and brash. And they can't even touch BG when it comes to playoff effectiveness. If he had decent regular season numbers we wouldn't be able to afford him. I like it the way it is... he's making less than league average, and he's our secret weapon in the playoffs.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:57 AM
momentai

Quote:
Its not like we're paying him the big bucks anyway. He's the best fighter in the league, and he makes less than other guys in his class like domi and brash. And they can't even touch BG when it comes to playoff effectiveness. If he had decent regular season numbers we wouldn't be able to afford him. I like it the way it is... he's making less than league average, and he's our secret weapon in the playoffs.
That's assuming, of course, that we make it to the playoffs. Because that is no way a guarantee for this Oilers team. We have to be able to get there first. Regardless, why do we need Laraque's playoff effectiveness so badly when we haven't made it out of the first round in 6 years?

Old
11-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
That's assuming, of course, that we make it to the playoffs. Because that is no way a guarantee for this Oilers team. We have to be able to get there first. Regardless, why do we need Laraque's playoff effectiveness so badly when we haven't made it out of the first round in 6 years?
it's only been 5 years that we haven't made it out of the first round...in '98 we lost to Dallas in the 2nd round.

Laraque can't carry the whole load himself in the playoffs
we need players to compliment him. The big name players couldn't step up last year for more than 2 games. unless we got a game breaker in a Comrie/Laraque trade then we'd be just starting over again.

the fans love Laraque, the players love Laraque...trading him would be a lose-lose situation.

BG just needs to be more of an intimidator. I'm not saying he needs to go beat up the other teams star players but get in their face and let them respond instead of dropping the gloves 2 seconds into the game with every heavyweight contender in the league...it's getting kind of old.

unfortunately MacT doesn't use him right. if used correctly BG could score 20 goals. if Chris Simon can score 30...

Old
11-01-2003, 08:54 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Oilfan
it's only been 5 years that we haven't made it out of the first round...in '98 we lost to Dallas in the 2nd round.

we need players to compliment him. The big name players couldn't step up last year for more than 2 games. unless we got a game breaker in a Comrie/Laraque trade then we'd be just starting over again.

the fans love Laraque, the players love Laraque...trading him would be a lose-lose situation.

BG just needs to be more of an intimidator. I'm not saying he needs to go beat up the other teams star players but get in their face and let them respond instead of dropping the gloves 2 seconds into the game with every heavyweight contender in the league...it's getting kind of old.

unfortunately MacT doesn't use him right. if used correctly BG could score 20 goals. if Chris Simon can score 30...
Sorry buddy - it doesn't matter who uses him how. On this team there is nobody who could get him 20 goals. Maybe if he was Forsbergs winger or something. But he just flat out doesn't have the hands to be a 20-20 man like he dreams about.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:55 AM
momentai

Quote:
My apologies. Took a shot in the dark. Came close though.

Quote:

I didn't say he had to carry the load for the playoffs. I just meant that if his main contribution is from the playoffs and not his regular season success, what's the point in keeping him? The Oilers have to have every man working towards getting to the playoffs in the first place, right? If we trade Laraque, I'd be happy with a dman in return... at least we could bring a young player along slowly like a Stoll who's been languishing in the pressbox.

Quote:

A big part of that is that BG does not have that kind of feisty mentality game in and game out. Let's face it. BG is a class act on and off the ice. I know he would probably never agree but a bit of dirtiness every single game can be warranted. I'd rather him initiate than retaliate. It would make his game so much better.

But then we've been saying that for a long time now... and not much as changed.

It's not fair to blame MacT for this. Ultimately, the responsibility lies on BG to play like he should. It's not about points here. It's about aggressiveness and creating havoc which I'm sure he could accomplish easily and yet he doesn't.

Old
11-01-2003, 11:18 AM
gretzky2kurri

as always........off with his head.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:47 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
You can't judge Laraque solely for what he does on the ice. I mean I know I don't live in Edmonton, but I know what that man does for the city.

The Oilers basically have a $1 million PR investment in the guy. He does lots for charity, is one of the most approachable athletes of all time, makes time for his fans, does one of the more thankless jobs in pro-sports...

Yeah, he isn't a dominating force in pro-hockey for all 82 games... but the guy does so much for this organization off the ice that he really is worth the 4 or 500k he makes more per season than he should (based on his regular season play).

Plus, he is an animal in the playoffs.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:11 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
does one of the more thankless jobs in pro-sports...
...I'd say 1 mill a year is a pretty big thankyou

Old
11-02-2003, 05:29 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
...I'd say 1 mill a year is a pretty big thankyou
That would have been a pretty brilliant comment had that been the only argument I made... but it wasn't.

Between what he does on and off the ice during the regular season, and what he does on during the playoffs, Laraque earns his money. The man is absolutely adored by the fans, and you can't put a price on a guy who does what he does off the ice.

Old
11-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Mr Sakich

buffalo is in desperate need of a guy like laraque. I think tampa would also be a logical choice. He brings a lot of community good-will to a tampa team that is a real marginal part of tampa life.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:27 AM
momentai

Quote:
You can't judge Laraque solely for what he does on the ice. I mean I know I don't live in Edmonton, but I know what that man does for the city.

The Oilers basically have a $1 million PR investment in the guy. He does lots for charity, is one of the most approachable athletes of all time, makes time for his fans, does one of the more thankless jobs in pro-sports...

Yeah, he isn't a dominating force in pro-hockey for all 82 games... but the guy does so much for this organization off the ice that he really is worth the 4 or 500k he makes more per season than he should (based on his regular season play).

Plus, he is an animal in the playoffs.
As a hockey player first and foremost, he is paid to be one and to do his job irregardless of how much community service he performs. I don't see why he should get this kind of leeway at all. If we want to reward him on his PR, then the Oilers can sign him to be a part of the Oilers PR department.

Look, I'm not saying he's not a great guy. He is. A couple days ago when he was still injured, he signed a hat for a young fan in West Ed... Great guy. But on a team that is supposed to fiscally responsible, having Georges play ineffective minutes at a 1.1 million dollar price tag isn't acceptable.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:44 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Laraque earns his money. The man is absolutely adored by the fans, and you can't put a price on a guy who does what he does off the ice.
WTF? We have a PR problem in Edmonton? Well THANK GOD George is here. The wheels would fall right off if they got rid of him and we wouldn't get our annual 13000 seat bonus from the league. Pffft.

If you enjoy watching him cycle the puck for 30 seconds every 5th game and throw it blindly to the front of the net to nobody but the other team as the snow stops the one-handed off balance pass, that's your god given right.

As for last years playoffs, kudos to him for showing up and being effective when MANY of his team mates didn't.

We can't afford this novelty item anymore. End of project. The guy has the attention span of a bloody cat. He's retracted from his annual 20goal, 20 assist promise (thank god) that made me happy until he followed it with I want to get a hatrick this season.

Ya George.....that's REAL important!

Off with his head.....

Old
11-02-2003, 05:19 PM
dawgbone

It never hurts to have players who are well known and loved throughout the community... in fact if you don't have them, your team is in deep trouble.

Some of you are completely short-sighted.

All you see is $1.1 million, and think he is overpaid for what he does. Think about what else he brings to the hockey club. He is a frigging ambassador, a great role model, continually gives the Oilers good press...

For an extra 3 to 500k, especially just on one player, is money well spent.

But not only that, think about what he does for the city of Edmonton... a city that the Oilers have a tremendous tie to. Yeah the Oilers are well supported, but does that mean you can spit in the face of your fans, especially over a meagre 400k?

It's not like he is getting $2mil, he is still one of the lowest paid players on the team.

Old
11-02-2003, 06:36 PM
Cujo_31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
His value is very high. He's the premier enforcer in the NHL. I love the guy and he's one of my fav. Oilers.

That aside. I think that if we were to include him with Comrie as a package we'd be getting one HUGE return. Do we REALLY need him? I think not. Sure 1/5 games he shows up he is a big part of that game. But thats about it. Our team has taken enough penalties and has shown lots of willingness to fight already. IMO we could really use his value to help the team else where. A team that would be interested in him would perhaps be Ottawa. If we could get say Fisher and Rachunek for Laraque and Smith, I'd be all over it. Or Volchenkov instead of Rachunek would be fine as well. This would also make sense for the Sens too, as adding Smith and Laraque to there team would make them one of THE toughest teams in the NHL. I mean all of a sudden they aren't soft, they're scary:
Chara, Laraque, Smith, Phillips, Vrada, and Niel is a tougher group then any other in the league!

I don't know, just thought I'd throw that out there, as even last year when BG was hurt, we didn't seem to miss him then either.

I think we need Laraque, without big Georges teams will start to run us over & we'll have nobody to stick up for our players...Jason Smith is pretty tough & a few other players can scrap when needed, but there not as tough, and Laraque is the MOST FEARED fighter in the NHL....WE need him IMO, just for the intimidation factor.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:31 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, in a way I agree and in a way I don't. The days of us being a small team are over. We are now one of the bigger teams in our division. Our blueline is huge with Brewer, Smith, Staios, Semenov, Cross. Up front we are no longer small. The only small player we have up front is York. But Isbister, Smyth, Dvorak, Torres, Moreau, Reasoner, Pisani, Stoll, Horcoff are all either average or better size. For my money we have the biggest blueline in the NHL. Who else has a pair of 6'5 guys and a pair of 6'3 guys? NOBODY! The days of the inforcer are nearly over. Their importance is constantly diminishing. As long as you have grit and some heart that will cover it (and somebody who on occasion can drop the gloves, and with Izzy, Smith, Torres, and others who aren't affraid to swing the dukes I think we'd be ok. HOW EVER, I would be completely against trading him unless we got a good young top six player in return. I think unless a person could get a kid in the Havlat bracket (highly unlikely) then we shouldn't be interested.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:47 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Laraque has a bigger heart than most players in the league, never mind on our club. No question this club needs him on the team, not only as an enforcer, but as a motivator, and also as a grit guy. He plays a very important role for this club, cause when the cards are down, goals and points aside, Laraque doesn't dog it, nor does he question what he needs to do. Fight, check, drive the net. Thats his game, goals are a bonus. He has high aspirations, I like that in a man. Don't know what ya got till its gone.... get rid of him, and you will soon find out. Laraque is a class act in a classless league, and the only thing negative I can say about him is, I wish he would stop letting up on some of these hits.... last year when hit that L.A. defenceman, he didn't hit hard for six games afterwords.... start being more physical on the checks Georges.... then you would really be a force!

Old
11-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Hemmer

Georges can be THE MOST intimidating player in the league when he wants to be. He can bully pretty much anybody, take their lunch money and leave them crying in the corner. He doesn't play that role on a regular basis, but I certainly don't think he should be traded. As already mentioned, he is a terrific guy in the community, a class act on and off the ice, and undoubtedly great in the dressing room. He's a classic interview, writes a column for RDS and claims he would retire if ever traded from Edmonton.

Why would we ever want to trade this guy? If he takes the roster spot from someone who is nearly as tough who doesn't play a more important role on the team (Like Smith for instance) then perhaps we should look at options - but right now our toughest prospect/player not in the lineup is probably 17 year old Zach Stortini - and he's just a boy yet. Don't talk to me about guys like Thompson - he can't play hockey at the NHL level.

As it stands, this team needs a gunslinger. We happened to have drafted the toughest one in the league in BG. He does know his role, but he goes about it without being a borderline thug, which is extremely classy on his part. BG doesn't want to be remembered as a goon, he wants to be remembered as a player. Who are we as fans to tell him he has to accept that he is just a run-amok goon - a WWE cast-off on skates. He can try and be whomever he wants to be as long as he performs his job when called upon and doesn't hurt the team.

BG has some issues, sure. Doesn't skate hard enough, or make the most of his chances at all times. The first is a product of ice time - when you are that big, you need to skate lots to get in the game - see playoffs and increased role/ice time. The second? Did we draft BG as a scorer? It would be nice if he could contribute more consistently on the scoresheet but I don't see people getting on Ferg for not scoring, and he plays the same type of supplementary role on a hockey team as an enforcer does. My one complaint about BG, similar to a lot of other people, is that he doesn't hit to hurt often enough. He does lay up. I remember him responding to a reporter who asked him about that. His response was that if he didn't lay up, he might kill somebody.

I was at the Calgary game a couple saturdays ago. Before the puck was dropped, I realized Oliwa was in CGY's starting lineup, and the Torque line was starting for the Oil. I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when the puck was dropped, BG and Oliwa, who were now lining up across from each other, were going to go. Sure enough...2 seconds in.
I knew it. Any remotely knowledgable hockey fan knew it. And the place still went nuts. NUTS. When he's going for a hit...it's like the eye of a hurricane in Skyreach...everyone holds their breath. People love BG. It's just that simple. For a small, community-owned team, you keep those kinds of players around.

Closed Thread